Forums Rules Staff NEW Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
lawlaw

What TV shows are you currently watching?

Victoria ...planning on rewatching The Borgia ^^

Halt And Catch Fire (AMC - 2014) (4 seasons - 40 episodes): 9/10

Sometimes, you discover that one underrated and under-appreciated gem and feel blessed, and well today, Halt And Catch Fire is that gem.

This pitch is set in the early 80s, and is about two skilled engineers, one genius programmer and one visionary entrepreneur teaming up in all the right and wrong ways, in order to get into the personal computer business, reverse-engineering it from IBM's who were the undisputed leaders at the time. That is, during season 1.
In season 2 & 3, our heroes (or some of them) get into the online video game industry, which was bubbling at the time (commodore style), and in season 4 (which by then is set in the 90s), they get into the web search engines competitive business (yes, search engines were a thing way before Google even existed).

But Halt And Catch Fire is more than just nerd stuff. It's also a story about an incredible female friendship, with ups and downs, insecurities, hardships, misunderstandings, and forgiveness. It's about deeply flawed people, getting together to create the impossible, and growing up together along the way. Joe (played by Lee Pace) is a particularly endearing character to follow in that regard, as his character development is pretty amazing. (but they all are, to be fair). It's about betrayal, trust, forgiveness, friendship, relationships. It is also about the sadly still very relevant themes of sexism and toxicity in the tech industry. But more than anything, Halt And Catch Fire is about starting over. Persevering through failures, over and over again. It's about hitting rock bottom but standing up again, endlessly, and following that one idea you think is gonna change the world.

Coming from the network that aired the likes of Mad Men, Breaking Bad, and The Walking Dead, I knew I was going to get quality, and it did not disappoint at all. Lee Pace is magnetically charismatic, playing a character that might remind of late Steve Jobs to a lot of people. Mackenzie Davis' talent is massively bursting (and one does understand why she got chosen to play in Black Mirror's San Junipero's episode, and then in Blade Runner 2049) And the rest of the cast is packed with talent.
It is also beautifully directed, shot, written and everything about it is crafted with talent, intelligence and love, and it shows.

To sum it up, I recommend this show to people interested in new technologies (well, old technologies, giant floppy disks are the bomb), video games, and the Internet. To people enjoying Lee Pace and Mackenzie Davis' massive talent. And overall, to anyone enjoying goodass quality television dramas. You can go ahead eyes closed, trust me!

Edited by Delphine

Gotham, I haven't enjoyed any u.s series this much for years. Super underappreciated.

Finished:

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency season 2 (still amazing, too bad the show's cancelled)

Jean-Claude Van Johnson season 1 (touching, wtf and weird at the same time, twas ok)

Shameless season 8 (will always have a soft spot for my favorite white trashes)

The Good Place season 2 (awesome, gotta love a show touching on the subject of philosophy in such a fun way)

Starting:

Outlander season 1

Altered Carbon season 1

Edited by Delphine

Babylon Berlin

It's such an amazing show. Everything about it is incredible. BB is German and it takes place in 1929 Berlin during the Weimar Republic (this is perfect cuz I’m a huge history nerd). The set is so beautiful and the show is shot like noir movie. At first, I thought that German language would sound super weird when I listen to it but it’s actually very similar to English. A lot of people are talking about another German show, Dark, and that’s definitely on my list.

Mosaic with Sharon Stone 

Travelers

What a GREAT Netflix TV show, and with such little recognition... like SENSE8 warstarplz.png

Edited by Sakurafubuki