Forums Rules Staff Calendar Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

S.E.S.(친구)

The History of SM Entertainment boy groups(kpop history)

SM Entertainment is the largest talent agency in kpop industry nowadays, and also in the past.  Throughout the years, they made the most popular/biggest kpop idol generation after generation. Also they were the only talent agency could afford to debut two super popular kpop idol at the same time. Today I will talk about all the boy groups debut under SM Entertainment through out the history...

Even huge controversy about SM Entertainment CEO Lee Soo Man , he founded SM Entertainment at Feb 1995 , and starts what is called kpop idol concept still until today, so he's regarded as one of the most important person in kpop history......

leesooman.jpg

1  H.O.T (from 1996 to  2001): Often credited as one of the first k-pop boy bands and the forerunners of the "idol group" trend in the Korean music industry. H.O.T was the first highly successful kpop idol group, also they were the most famous kpop boy group from late 90s to early 2000s, they started what is called kpop idol group phenomenal popular still until today. 

H.O.T Official Thread on OneHallyuhttp://onehallyu.com/index.php?/topic/15926-tthe-official-hot-thread/

tumblr_lohqwwJV2e1qeikl3.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOiIZfCoAo0

2 Shinhwa (1998 until today): Also referred as kpop legend, Shinhwa was the longest running kpop boy group still until today. They were also considered one of the most popular kpop boy group from late 90s to early 2000s. Also Shinhwa remains high popularity throughout the years, they became one of the most important idol group in kpop history....

Shinhwa official thread on OneHallyu:http://onehallyu.com/index.php?/topic/261-official-shinhwa-%EC%8B%A0%ED%99%94-thread-%E2%99%9B-legend-creator-base/

shinhwa-old.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve6i6qJtliE

3  Fly To The Sky (1999 until today): Initially marketed as a duo that can sing, rap, and dance, they were also one of the most popular kpop boy group from late 90s to early 2000s. After 2002, they changed from idol group to R&B duo, the duo solidified their status as R&B artists and are credited as the first R&B duo of South Korea

Fly To The Sky Official Thread on OneHallyu:http://onehallyu.com/index.php?/topic/40016-fly-to-the-sky%ED%94%8C%EB%9D%BC%EC%9D%B4-%ED%88%AC-%EB%8D%94-%EC%8A%A4%EC%B9%B4%EC%9D%B4-official-threadold-school-kpop/

ftts21-300x375.jpg

4 BlackBeat (From 2002 to 2007) :Initially debut as BoA's backup dancer, they debuted as the replacement of "H.O.T" at 2002 after H.O.T disbanded with their outstanding dance skills, but they are not really successful duo to their lack of vocal skill. After they disbanded, many of them became dance trainer for many kpop boy groups nowadays....

BlackBeat official Thread on OneHallyu: http://onehallyu.com/index.php?/topic/42154-black-beat%EB%B8%94%EB%9E%99%EB%B9%84%ED%8A%B8-official-threadold-school-kpop/

23483-blackbeat-37xw.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg1b9LFh6N0

5 TVXQ(From 2003 until today) :  Often regard as "Rising Gods of the East". TVXQ was one of the most successful boy group in kpop history. They were often referred as "King of Kpop" for their immense success and contributions to Korean pop. TVXQ has become one of Asia's most successful music acts of their generation.   Until today, TVXQ still remains as one of the most popular kpop boy group.

TVXQ Official Thread on OneHallyu: http://onehallyu.com/index.php?/topic/102-official%E6%9D%B1%E6%96%B9%E7%A5%9E%E8%B5%B7%EB%8F%99%EB%B0%A9%EC%8B%A0%EA%B8%B0dbsktohoshinki-u-know-yunho-and-max-changmin/

TVXQ-hero-jae-joong-6741287-1392-928.jpg

6 Super Junior(2005 until today): Super Junior was one of the most popular kpop boy group from mid-2000s to late 2000s, SNSD was even considered as girl group version of "Super Junior" ,they gained huge popularity and are successfully with different sub groups,  which Over the years, they have been divided into smaller groups to enter other area of Entertainment industry.

Official Super Junior Thread on OneHallyu: http://onehallyu.com/index.php?/topic/97-%E2%99%AA%E2%99%AB-%E2%99%A5-official-super-junior-thread-%E2%99%A5-%E2%99%AA%E2%99%AB/

7-2_super_junior.jpg

7 SHINee(2008 until today): SHINee was one of the most popular kpop boy group at late 2000s,  Shinee is considered to be a fashion icon having started the "Shinee Trend and are known for their highly synchronized and complex dancing. Also they were famous for instant very highly success, The artist who managed to get in top 3 for 3 continuous releases since debut

SHINee official Thread on OneHallyu:http://onehallyu.com/index.php?/topic/41-the-shinee-world-shinees-official-thread/

profile-shinee-artis-korea.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DocBfPIgk70

8 EXO (2012 until today) EXO was the youngest boy band to win Album of the Year at the Mnet Asian Music Awards, and the fastest-selling K-pop artist in twelve years. Since debut at 2011 until today, EXO already became one of the most popular kpop boy group nowadays

EXO Official Thread on OneHallyu: http://onehallyu.com/index.php?/topic/32-kkaebsong-i-have-an-overdose-of-exo-planet/

ews20140420_exo_overdose_fullteaser.jpg

Since the first generaiton of H.O.T, Shinhwa, second generation of TVXQ, Super Junior, and until EXO today,  SM Entertainment boy groups always achieve dominate position in certain kpop history period. and fans always have very high expectation of them, and they will still dominate kpop for a long time from now on......

My ranking for all the boy groups debut under SM Entertainment:(from their overall achievement  in kpop history)

1 TVXQ  2 H.O.T  3 Super Junior  4 Shinhwa  5 EXO  6 SHINee 7 Fly To The Sky 8 Blackbeat

Legendary Level:  1 TVXQ  2 H.O.T

(I don't need to explain why TVXQ ranked 1st here, people could read my previous kpop history article to know why TVXQ ranked 1st and since H.O.T was way too big back in 90s, their popularity and success was also way beyond most 1st tier kpop idol group)

1st Tier:   3 Super Junior  4 Shinhwa  5 EXO  6 SHINee 7 Fly To The Sky

(these five groups are probably around the same level in kpop history, all of them have great achievement in certain period , so the ranking here  doesn't actually mean much difference)

3rd Tier: Blackbeat

(Blackbeat is just way below those groups,and they were considered a failure back then)

(Note: I didn't include TRAX in this article)

Another article about the history of SM Entertainment Girl Groupshttp://onehallyu.com/index.php?/topic/70429-the-history-of-sm-entertainment-girl-groups-kpop-history/

I didn't know about this BlackBeat group.

Awesome Post OP!

seeing all of them compiled in one post really gives you perspective on just the insane level of success overall :shock:

I will explain why TVXQ is number 1 boyband in sm....  :raep:   

1. 13,000,000 + physical copies, this is pretty much the reason, and the best reason since TVXQ were in the worst eras to sell physical copies....

2. Paved the way for the other kpop groups.... (groups like snsd, and kara literally got triple platinum, and were huge hits during 2011....)

3. The Biggest Fanclub in the World, Cassiopeia.... Pretty much any Koreans who are a fan of kpop knows this, and the limits to this fanclub according to most KOREAN cassies were 14 years of age, or up, Social Security Number (you got to be Korean), and it is $25 for the fanclub registration.... Yuaerubi - the free fancafe's maximum number was 1,200,000 during TVXQ's Rising Sun, and 920,000 during O' Jung Ban Hap....

4. Nissan Stadium, 12 Oricon Chart Single Toppers, 5-Dome Tour, and More.... 

:lub:  This is TVXQ, lol....  :stare:   

Love this post but... "they were also considered as the boy version of "SNSD""

Not a Suju fan, but SNSD are the female version of Suju, not the other way around. Suju debuted first.

OP, SuJu is not the male version of SNSD. They were never labeled like that. It's the other way around.

SNSD are the female version of Suju, not the other way around. Suju debuted first.

I will explain why TVXQ is number 1 boyband in sm....  :raep:   

1. 13,000,000 + physical copies, this is pretty much the reason, and the best reason since TVXQ were in the worst eras to sell physical copies....

2. Paved the way for the other kpop groups.... (groups like snsd, and kara literally got triple platinum, and were huge hits during 2011....)

3. The Biggest Fanclub in the World, Cassiopeia.... Pretty much any Koreans who are a fan of kpop knows this, and the limits to this fanclub according to most KOREAN cassies were 14 years of age, or up, Social Security Number (you got to be Korean), and it is $25 for the fanclub registration.... Yuaerubi - the free fancafe's maximum number was 1,200,000 during TVXQ's Rising Sun, and 920,000 during O' Jung Ban Hap....

4. Nissan Stadium, 12 Oricon Chart Single Toppers, 5-Dome Tour, and More.... 

:lub:  This is TVXQ, lol....  :stare:   

Hi, there....are you from Korea ?

can you tell me back in early days, TVXQ or g.o.d, which  one is actually more famous?

since I know a lot of Koreans, for people who actually follow kpop for a long time, TVXQ and g.o.d fans are like half half......

(I only discuss SM Entertainment group here, so I didn't put g.o.d on the list)

Not a Suju fan, but SNSD are the female version of Suju, not the other way around. Suju debuted first.

Yes, I changed....SNSD was the female version of Suju.....

are you from China?.....I think Suju is still promoting in China......

Hi, there....are you from Korea ?

can you tell me back in early days, TVXQ or g.o.d, which  one is actually more famous?

since I know a lot of Koreans, for people who actually follow kpop for a long time, TVXQ and g.o.d fans are like half half......

(I only discuss SM Entertainment group here, so I didn't put g.o.d on the list)

Hi, I came to the United States not long ago, but the difference between TVXQ, and G.O.D. was the existence of hit songs. G.O.D. had those hit songs such as Dear Mother, and One Candle (that Korea liked) which were all songs from their million copies albums.... and I guess if we are talking about just Korea, then it would be G.O.D., but then G.O.D.'s heyday (1999-2002) ended when TVXQ stepped in (2003). Do you want me to compare the golden ages of these two groups?

Hi, I came to the United States not long ago, but the difference between TVXQ, and G.O.D. was the existence of hit songs. G.O.D. had those hit songs such as Dear Mother, and One Candle (that Korea liked) which were all songs from their million copies albums.... and I guess if we are talking about just Korea, then it would be G.O.D., but then G.O.D.'s heyday (1999-2002) ended when TVXQ stepped in (2003). Do you want me to compare the golden ages of these two groups?

Yes, I got what you are saying.....cuz I got into kpop like around 1998/1999  when H.O.T and S.E.S was really popular...from what I remember g.o.d was already quite famous during that time.....(I was a big fan of S.E.S. at that time and I remember the fangod thing back then was pretty insane, lol)

SM also had a rock boy band called The TRAX. The band was not promoted much tho. It's such a waste since they're so talented. They're at 3rd tier imo.

Wow, EXO has only been 2 years into their career :stare: Thank you OP