OneHallyu

Jiyoon (ex-Weeekly) joins Twitter, reportedly says she was booted from the group by IST Entertainment

My Everything

spacer.png

Back in June, IST Entertainment announced that member Jiyoon would be leaving Weeekly. Even at the time, it was a bit curious in terms of wording, as the company didn’t state that she choose to leave the group, rather just citing her two breaks for anxiety as a reason for them deciding that she needed to leave.

spacer.png

The reason this comes up again is that Jiyoon recently opened a personal Twitter account and has gone live on a broadcast since, talking about her current situation and plan, but also the circumstances of her leaving Weeekly and the environment at the company.

Since she asked fans not to record/replicate the video, it’s hard to find that, but it was a public broadcast so obviously one has to expect it’ll get out there. The content of what she said has mostly survived and has understandably angered Weeekly’s fans, as every translation/summary of the live points out that IST essentially kicked her out of the group while she was dealing with mental health issues.

spacer.png

While it’s second-hand information, I mean none of this is surprising by now, both the overbearing environment with companies unilaterally booting members for any inconvenience, and that they only paying as much lip service to mental health as they need to for public appearances without actually giving a shit if they think it impacts their bottom line.

But this was still a bizarrely rash decision from IST, as Weeekly is a rising group and while the hiatus of Jiyoon was worrying, I didn’t really see it as having much impact on the fandom or the group, and people seemed more than content to just wait it out. Obviously we don’t know what kind of mess was happening behind closed doors, but IST certainly doesn’t come out of this looking good.

Source

• Crying 2

Anxiety and depression are such common illnesses and it's not something you can just heal from and move on with life, it's really messed up that they just decided to kick this poor girl out of the group simply because they didn't felt like dealing with her issues. I hope their company burns to ground and girls move on to a better place, from what I've read on reddit their company staff seems pretty shitty in general.

• Like 3

fave vocal team's yumi (who should have been the first kpop belgian idol had she debuted btw) said that fave (1/3 of ist, and the company all the weeekly girls except jihan and zoa are from) was "hell". also her group got the boot after the plan a x fave merger because basically playm was going on a different route or wtv so they didnt debut them 💀

im genuinely not even surprised by this, theyve been a mess for years

I think it sucks that she couldn't continue, but at a certain point I'm not sure it was doing her or the group any good to just keep putting her on indefinite hiatus every time they had to promote anything. It seems pretty clear that after her first hiatus she wanted to come back and they wanted her back. She was on all the songs on their single, they built the choreo for 7, had her in the promo films, etc. Then it seems like she told them right before promotions started that she wasn't able to do it and had to take another break. It seems like from previous statements that the company met with her parents and doctors then decided she should leave.

Anxiety and depression aren't really things that you fix, you just learn to manage them, and it sounds like working as an idol was a big stressor that hurt her ability to manage it. I wonder if IST plans to keep her and find something that might be a better fit for her like maybe songwriting or OST or feature work, that is a bit less stressful.

• Like 4

So Jiyoon posted that people were misinterpreting what she meant in her live:

Basically saying that when she said it was "not her decision" she didn't mean she was fired, but that she didn't arbitrarily quit the group,  instead she withdrew after consulting with the company.

22 hours ago, Firestar said:

Basically saying that when she said it was "not her decision" she didn't mean she was fired, but that she didn't arbitrarily quit the group,  instead she withdrew after consulting with the company.

It's possible that this is her backtracking after getting in trouble with IST too, though

41 minutes ago, spopo said:

It's possible that this is her backtracking after getting in trouble with IST too, though

Maybe, but I kind of doubt it just based on them letting her go live whenever she wants since then with apparently no supervision. If she really went live basically right after setting up a twitter and said something that they then made her take back, they'd probably have made her stop going live and start clearing her tweets. I think people read way too much into a pretty ambiguous statement.

On 8/6/2022 at 11:44 PM, Firestar said:

But it also seems like she wants to continue doing music and has no beef with her members - so its not a matter of quitting the entertainment world. as some ex-idols do. Something doesn't add up.

It would look really bad if IST pushed out a member the group's fans loved over mental health issues instead of helping her through it and giving her time. I know JYP gave Mina time off for anxiety and WJSN's Dawon took a hiatus for the same reason and then returned so I thought agencies were turning a corner on how they were handling these things. 

8 hours ago, Simpatico said:

But it also seems like she wants to continue doing music and has no beef with her members - so its not a matter of quitting the entertainment world. as some ex-idols do. Something doesn't add up.

It would look really bad if IST pushed out a member the group's fans loved over mental health issues instead of helping her through it and giving her time. I know JYP gave Mina time off for anxiety and WJSN's Dawon took a hiatus for the same reason and then returned so I thought agencies were turning a corner on how they were handling these things. 

Yeah, I think it was a simple as she took a hiatus, tried to come back, to the point where they built the album and choreo for 7, but then she couldn't so they put her back on hiatus, and at that point they talked about having conversations with her and her family and doctors and coming to an agreement to drop her from the group. You can do music without being an idol, and I think IST just felt like they needed to plan for the group being 6 given that it wasn't as simple as exhhaustion, or needing a re-set, but that each time she tried to come back it had a negative effect on her health. I hope that she finds a way to both do music and be healthy, and my guess is that isn't being a member of an idol group, but maybe she could have a career like a Minseo or someone, doing more indie/ballad type songs and OSTs, where the stress level and pressure can be lower than an idol group