OneHallyu

His Man and Merry Queer, Korea's first LGBT dating/reality programs

Created this thread so we stop dominating the discussion in the "Which KPOP Idol is Gay Thread"

His Man - on Gagaoolala or IQiyi depending on location

Merry Queer - Available on Gagaoolala

The first episodes of each have been great, can't wait to follow along!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Thank you for making the thread 

First thing I want to say is how wholesome and real some of the moments are. Gay dating shows here could definitely learn from it. 

For merry queer, it is also informative and teaches the viewer on how others are living.

Edited by Dont mind me
  • Like 1

I agree. The scene in Merry Queer at the swimming pool and leading up to it with the trans/bi couple was such a fantastic depiction of the lives trans people have to live everyday, and how such excitement and happiness can turn into such disappointment because of silly and uneducated policies. People just want to live their lives and be happy, that's it, there is no agenda!

• Like 2

What also fascinated me was how the style of clothes and manners are so idol like. So there is some inspiration coming from the gay world and dipping into idol world. I wonder which idol would watch this show 🤔

Probably key/Seungkwan for me

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Lim said:

i've only seen his man so far and it's super entertaining. i need @pokezuko to send me the link to the kissasian page so i don't have to wait for belated uploads (i'd watch it on iqiyi, but in my defense, i couldn't get the vpn to work)

here are some quick thoughts about the first episode under spoiler

Hide contents

not to be a shipper, but fingers crossed for hyeokjun and seonyul, they're a match 💞 i'm rooting for them (apparently, they'd call each other if they weren't in the same room, but the question is... would they even notice each other if they weren't?)

also seonyul calling out eunchan for looking for a long-term relationship on a dating show 😭

i find changyu absolutely adorable. he seems shy, but is surprisingly proactive. brave of him to call changmin of all people, which kinda put him in an unfavorable situation? he said he didn't want to have any regrets after all, the type who wears his heart on his sleeve, but he's losing this game to jeonghyeon, me thinks, who manifested this very situation for himself in his introduction when he said he always wins in love triangles. this one has already divided the viewers on twitter who take the show too seriously lol i'm just curious to see how it will unfold

i loved the idea of phone calls! what a cliffhanger

oh, and changmin is a bae. the main character syndrome

anyway, props to all these guys for their courage to appear on the show. i've heard some people have protested against this kind of content, so it's a good thing these shows have found a platform and an audience (?). it's certainly interesting to learn about the gay culture / dating scene in korea. if it aired on a mainstream platform, i'd hope it would would make the audience more accepting, but as for now, i hope it will pave the way for other shows of the nature, which will be more successful

Yeah, the producers are def setting up the love triangle in the triple room. Hence, the first date between Changyu and Jeonghyeon where it was established they had nothing in common and there was a bit of friction. I agree that at this point Changmin seems like he prefers jeonghyeon. When he was sitting in the beanbag room after Jeonghyeon made his call and kept asking if he'd made his call yet, it seemed like he was hoping that jeonghyeon was going to call him. I think Changmin's first call will be to Jeonghyeon, and it will be interesting to see how the triple room dynamic plays out.

I like Changyu, he seems sweet and quiet, I hope he connects with someone, Changmin or otherwise.

Edited by sureyeahiguess

46 minutes ago, sureyeahiguess said:

I like Changyu, he seems sweet and quiet, I hope he connects with someone, Changmin or otherwise.

Hope so too, he is that considerate adorable guy. 

If he doesn't, Changyu, call me 😘

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, icedcoffee said:

How are you all watching His Man? It seems to only come out on GagaOOLala in two days. 

For Americans it is on IQiyi, I'm guessing you can probably find it on an "unofficial" streaming site as well if you google it.

Edit: check your PM

Edited by sureyeahiguess
  • Like 1

I feel like most of the thread has probably seen the alleged spoilers of his man since it's one of the first posts on the tag but

Spoiler

According to Chankyu's cousin

Spoiler

The couples that get together are

Changmin/Jeonghyeon, Eunchan/Seonyul, the others end up single (unsure if this includes the new cast members that will be brought in)

Spoiler

evidence for this rumor

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lim said:

i've only seen his man so far and it's super entertaining. i need @pokezuko to send me the link to the kissasian page so i don't have to wait for belated uploads (i'd watch it on iqiyi, but in my defense, i couldn't get the vpn to work)

here are some quick thoughts about the first episode under spoiler

Hide contents

not to be a shipper, but fingers crossed for hyeokjun and seonyul, they're a match 💞 i'm rooting for them (apparently, they'd call each other if they weren't in the same room, but the question is... would they even notice each other if they weren't?)

also seonyul calling out eunchan for looking for a long-term relationship on a dating show 😭

i find changyu absolutely adorable. he seems shy, but is surprisingly proactive. brave of him to call changmin of all people, which kinda put him in an unfavorable situation? he said he didn't want to have any regrets after all, the type who wears his heart on his sleeve, but he's losing this game to jeonghyeon, me thinks, who manifested this very situation for himself in his introduction when he said he always wins in love triangles. this one has already divided the viewers on twitter who take the show too seriously lol i'm just curious to see how it will unfold

i loved the idea of phone calls! what a cliffhanger

oh, and changmin is a bae. the main character syndrome

anyway, props to all these guys for their courage to appear on the show. i've heard some people have protested against this kind of content, so it's a good thing these shows have found a platform and an audience (?). it's certainly interesting to learn about the gay culture / dating scene in korea. if it aired on a mainstream platform, i'd hope it would would make the audience more accepting, but as for now, i hope it will pave the way for other shows of the nature, which will be more successful

4 hours ago, sureyeahiguess said:

Yeah, the producers are def setting up the love triangle in the triple room. Hence, the first date between Changyu and Jeonghyeon where it was established they had nothing in common and there was a bit of friction. I agree that at this point Changmin seems like he prefers jeonghyeon. When he was sitting in the beanbag room after Jeonghyeon made his call and kept asking if he'd made his call yet, it seemed like he was hoping that jeonghyeon was going to call him. I think Changmin's first call will be to Jeonghyeon, and it will be interesting to see how the triple room dynamic plays out.

i can’t lie, it’s gonna take me a few episodes before i remember names lmfao but i am SO glad we have a thread. 

the two in the same room!! i also thought they were going to call each other. they’re so cute

i agree with you guys. changmin and jeonghyeon. honestly i’m so here to see the triple room triangle

I have watched the first episode. I am very familiar with Changmin as I have been following him on IG and youtube for a few years, so I am rooting for him. The user who said he has main character vibes is correct. I also like Jeonghyeon and I can see how he polarizes the fandom. The guy who cooked, forgot his name, but that's a great strategy to have.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lim said:

i need @pokezuko to send me the link to the kissasian page so i don't have to wait for belated uploads

i've been trying to post the link but for some reason it isn't appearing? 😕

i'm not sure why. maybe try googling kissasian his man and you'll find it? that's what i did, although it was uploaded a day after.

also fun fact apparently eunchan was training to be an idol (super nugu group though) but left their debut at the last minute. he's very adorable.

feels like i’ve been such a hacker to watch this show but the 3rd episode is available for VIP only but it’s a lot cheaper than my local currency with the VPN and first time user = £1.29 to watch the next episode now

so if you are an impatient person like me, just make a new iqiyi account with the vpn on as if you were in thailand and then you will have the promotional thing and just make sure to cancel it later

i had to watch it now because the new guy is in the 3rd episode

their dates were such cute ideas. i want to make a light like the first couple did. they called it a candle but it looks like a lightbulb thing to me

changmin being shy is so cute 

Just watched ep 2 & 3, honestly I ship Hyeon and Hyeokjun, it seemed like instant chemistry. That scene where Hyeokjun woke Hyeon up in the morning was so cute and it seemed like they were so comfortable with one another on their date. I feel bad for Eunchan, but I don't think Hyeokjun has any feelings for him, so I hope he can move past his "love at first sight"

I'm also interested to know who Eunchan was a trainee with, probably a lot of tea that could be spilled in the other thread about gay idols haha

right i also feel the immediate chemistry between hyeon and hyeokjun. the waking up scene was adorable and they match well

i havent got to the end of ep 3 yet but i am curious about the last guy and if he ends up making the three person room into a four person one

i also think theyre all slowly getting comfortable with each other the way jeonghyeon was making jokes

all the guys in the cast are so enjoyable! live their vibes and eunchan is really so adorable😭

i don't exactly see any clear cut couples yet (or any at all atm). a few have good chemistry but i don't see any of them getting together yet. which is interesting; i feel like usually the editing would give some hints - at least on het dating shows they do.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I'm super surprised they brought a 21 year old (Korean age so, like 20 international age) on the show. I'm 31 and the thought of dating a 20 year old is outlandish to me. His brain isn't even fully developed. The next closest in age to him is 26 and two of them are 35! Obviously they are all adults so nothing about it is that weird, but I feel like most 30 year olds have very little in common with most 20 year olds, so the chances of him finding a LTR on this show with a pool of 7 suitors is pretty low. He even mentioned the fact that he thought Changmin thinks he is too young, so he is insecure. At least he is self aware and seems pretty mature for a 20 year old.

Edited by sureyeahiguess
  • Like 1

i'm currently watching merry queer, up to episode 2 and is it just me or are the subtitles very off??? sometimes the subs refer to jihye with she/her pronouns or it'll talk about something very vaguely (like when they were talking about sex toys and i think they were talking about using them on a partner but i found it hard to grasp what was happening), or the sentence structure is off, and then i have very little idea of what's going on (don't know how to properly explain it). i'm watching the 2nd episode on kshow123 and i watched the 1st episode on another site but i'm 99% sure the subs come from gagaoolala due to the fact that both episode translations haven't been too accurate and the logo of the site is in the corner. i was wondering if anyone else experienced this trouble and if it's possible to watch the show with better translations because while i do seem to understand what's going on for the most part, it can get a bit frustrating 😭

Edited by gam3 bo1

4 hours ago, gam3 bo1 said:

i'm currently watching merry queer, up to episode 2 and is it just me or are the subtitles very off??? sometimes the subs refer to jihye with she/her pronouns or it'll talk about something very vaguely (like when they were talking about sex toys and i think they were talking about using them on a partner but i found it hard to grasp what was happening), or the sentence structure is off, and then i have very little idea of what's going on (don't know how to properly explain it). i'm watching the 2nd episode on kshow123 and i watched the 1st episode on another site but i'm 99% sure the subs come from gagaoolala due to the fact that both episode translations haven't been too accurate and the logo of the site is in the corner. i was wondering if anyone else experienced this trouble and if it's possible to watch the show with better translations because while i do seem to understand what's going on for the most part, it can get a bit frustrating 😭

No, it's not just you, I think the original subbers were able to turn around a product the quickest because they just translated literally without much care for syntax and such and all the other sites just copied their work..it's definitely confusing

Quick question, how many episodes have been aired? I only got to three and I haven't read what has been said above me, because I don't want to see spoilers? 

Also, I adore Eunchan, he is my favourite. 

1 hour ago, Dont mind me said:

Quick question, how many episodes have been aired? I only got to three and I haven't read what has been said above me, because I don't want to see spoilers? 

Also, I adore Eunchan, he is my favourite. 

Only 3 ep are out, so you are safe!

• Love 1