OneHallyu

SM Entertainment shares that SHINee's Taemin will continue his military service as a social service worker

After initially enlisting as a member of the military band, SHINee’s Taemin will be completing the remainder of his military service as a public service worker.

On January 14, SM Entertainment announced that Taemin had been transferred from the military band to public service due to worsening symptoms of depression and anxiety.

The agency’s full statement is as follows:

This is SM Entertainment.

As of January 14, Taemin has been transferred from the military band to supplementary service.

Due to the symptoms of depression and anxiety that Taemin has been suffering from before [his enlistment], he continued to receive treatment and therapy even while carrying out his service. However, because his symptoms recently worsened, the military determined that it had become impossible for him to continue his military life and treatment at the same time, and he was accordingly transferred to supplementary service.

Therefore, Taemin plans to fulfill his military duty as a public service worker.

We apologize for giving you cause for concern through this sudden news, and we will continue to focus on Taemin’s treatment in the future and do our utmost to ensure that he can find stability.

Thank you.

(Source (1) translated by E.Cha @ Soompi)

I hope he's alright.

Edited by Lee
  • Love 2
  • Crying 5

SHINee’s Taemin To Complete Military Service As Public Service Worker Due To Depression And Anxiety

After initially enlisting as a member of the military band, SHINee’s Taemin will be completing the remainder of his military service as a public service worker.

On January 14, SM Entertainment announced that Taemin had been transferred from the military band to public service due to worsening symptoms of depression and anxiety.

The agency’s full statement is as follows:

This is SM Entertainment.

As of January 14, Taemin has been transferred from the military band to supplementary service.

Due to the symptoms of depression and anxiety that Taemin has been suffering from before [his enlistment], he continued to receive treatment and therapy even while carrying out his service. However, because his symptoms recently worsened, the military determined that it had become impossible for him to continue his military life and treatment at the same time, and he was accordingly transferred to supplementary service.

Therefore, Taemin plans to fulfill his military duty as a public service worker.

We apologize for giving you cause for concern through this sudden news, and we will continue to focus on Taemin’s treatment in the future and do our utmost to ensure that he can find stability.

Thank you.

3 minutes ago, MelanatedBeauty said:

I was literally coming here to say

Taemin has an androgenous image and im hoping to gawd it int what im thinking

I'm thinking it's the same that happened with GD. Watching him shower and sick stuff like that. They had a full diagram of GD's body and his tattoo placements. 

• Crying 4
  • Lee changed the title to SM Entertainment shares that SHINee's Taemin will continue his military service as a social service worker

this was very hard to read through. I hope him being transferred means he has access to a better support system- his family and friends, and that he can live at home while he finishes serving.

edit: my hands haven't stopped shaking since I read this statement. i truly hope he gets the treatment he needs. miss him sm.

Edited by Sohryu

I saw Shawols on twt were very worried and felt odd that he didn't post anything on IG. He stopped posting and was silent for a very long time with no updates or anything. I talked to a shawol and they had their own suspicion what was going on. They didn't wanna state anything specific to avoid creating baseless rumors without any official statement. This news just came out and now I get what they meant.

3 hours ago, Thigh-high feminist said:

I wonder what happened. I hope he wasn't stalked by a soldier too (like g dragon was).

Anyway, I'm glad he's getting treatment.

3 hours ago, rananicolee said:

I'm thinking it's the same that happened with GD. Watching him shower and sick stuff like that. They had a full diagram of GD's body and his tattoo placements. 

At the the beginning, I saw on twitter all these updates by countless of random accounts who all of a sudden stated how their brother/boyfriend/cousin/ male friend/nephew, etc. told them they went to the same camp as him and they reported everything he did for example what brand/flavor of juice/milk he was drinking, what food he ate, what he did, what's his mood, what he said, his smile, where he went to, etc. Basically these people are kinda like sasaengs, enlisted in the army but they're not those typical female fans sasaengs. Very creepy. This is an intrusion of his privacy. He even had to stop what he was doing because suddenly all these people were following him around and asking for autograph and then suddenly it became an autograph session because everyone there surrounded him, thus distrupting the whole army activity and his life as well as duty. I saw a rumor, a twt posted by an NCTzen several months ago that he requested for different shower times because there's rumor that he was harassed (probably they watched him shower and such). There's a lot of stalkers and ugh I don't wanna imagine what more has been going on. Worse than idol sasaengs imo. Yeah pretty much what happened to GD.

3 hours ago, neozone said:

It's not a surprise imo but it's a concern. There's some clear signs since at least 2020. Depression started from there, prolonged in the following year and became worse in the army.

"severe depression" "anxiety" "panic disorder"

I hope and pray he is doing okay now.

Edited by Youahaen
  • Like 1
  • Tea 2

jfc the writings were on the wall, there were rumors about harrassment and he looked so gaunt, all the fears became reality. I hope he is well and his treatments work, really hope he also has a good support system.

The military needs to become a better, a safer place for young people, not a traumatizing experience which damages them for lifetime.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Youahaen said:

I saw Shawols on twt were very worried and felt odd that he didn't post anything on IG. He stopped posting and was silent for a very long time with no updates or anything. I talked to a shawol and they had their own suspicion what was going on. They didn't wanna state anything specific to avoid creating baseless rumors without any official statement. This news just came out and now I get what they meant.

At the the beginning, I saw on twitter all these updates by countless of random accounts who all of a sudden stated how their brother/boyfriend/cousin/ male friend/nephew, etc. told them they went to the same camp as him and they reported everything he did for example what brand/flavor of juice/milk he was drinking, what food he ate, what he did, what's his mood, what he said, his smile, where he went to, etc. Basically these people are kinda like sasaengs, enlisted in the army but they're not those typical female fans sasaengs. Very creepy. This is an intrusion of his privacy. He even had to stop what he was doing because suddenly all these people were following him around and asking for autograph and then suddenly it became an autograph session because everyone there surrounded him, thus distrupting the whole army activity and his life as well as duty. I saw a rumor, a twt posted by an NCTzen several months ago that he requested for different shower times because there's rumor that he was harassed (probably they watched him shower and such). There's a lot of stalkers and ugh I don't wanna imagine what more has been going on. Worse than idol sasaengs imo. Yeah pretty much what happened to GD.

It's not a surprise imo but it's a concern. There's some clear signs since at least 2020. Depression started from there, prolonged in the following year and became worse in the army.

i hope i'm not prying too much but can i ask what the signs were from around 2020? i'm just a casual shinee listener so i didn't notice anything and he always seemed like his chirpy self to me, this whole thing breaks my heart.

so glad to know that he's getting support and all that, i truly hope he can become healthier and happier. god the military must be an insane environment to be in

It's stated that he's been having depression even BEFORE he enlisted in the army which means he's been diagnosed with it for awhile or long before that. So it's not just the army that's the catalyst. But ofc the army is such a toxic place that can worsen anyone in such state.

Tbh, unlike most people who are shocked at the news about him having mental health problems, I've always suspected he has had it for years. For starters, he debuted at a very young age of 14 and was immediately thrusts into the spotlight. That alone is a big warning. In SHINee's reality show for their 10th anniversary, he mentioned how he wasn't actually ready to debut and his puberty was partly the reason as it also messed up his voice, so he asked his parents to call SM bc he wanted to drop out. Although this was never mentioned, I wouldn't be surprised SM didn't consider how young he was and didn't wanna let him go bc I guess they didn't want to let go such a young extremely talented dancer from the moment he auditioned for SM at 11/12 years old in which they also already saw having huge potential in developing his vocals in which he, as we all witnessed, eventually did. However, although SM was great at training, scouting talent and noticing potential, they're quite neglectful at protecting vulnerable kids and noticing mental health problems that exist especially in someone young being in the ent business. I noticed this with Krystal and especially Sulli too, both of them debuted at the same age as Taemin. Not to mention there's BoA who debuted at 12. There's a lack of protection for underaged idols and back then the industry didn't impose the curfew (limiting working/broadcast hours) for them.

If I'm not mistaken I never noticed  Taemin ever opened up about his mental health struggles unlike other SHINee members (correct me if I'm wrong, Shawols). Onew was rumored to be in that milk club many years ago, and Jonghyun as well as Key have openly mentioned about their mental health struggles. I remember seeing Taemin being involved in some campaign advocating for better mental health years ago but never really clearly addressed what he's going through if I'm not mistaken and many people thought he's doing it for Jonghyun.  At Jonghyun's funeral, he was the only one who didn't cry tears but looked very solemn, somber and extremely pale and gaunt. Most people were mostly worried for the ones who were more vocal and cried tears like Key and Minho but I thought Taemin was the most worrying. The thing with MinKey is that they're vocal, able to let it all out and expressed their emotions but that's not the case with Taemin who is more reserved/private and for some weird reason never/rarely cries as well as likes to keep things to himself. Jonghyun easily cried and cried alot while Taemin is on the other side of the spectrum of showing depression symptom. Always acted like he's fine when deep down inside he's not. He's also always put on that cheery disposition and bright facade by being crazy, silly, smiley and funny but it's red flag imo. So for most people they couldn't detect it and thought it's shocking that suddenly he's reported to not only have mental health problems but his depression, anxiety and panic disorder are also at SEVERE state and has been getting professional help even before the army.

I've followed SHINee  and I remember many years ago Onew mentioned how Taemin's work ethic is crazy bc he's always either in the studio or practice room 24/7 since debut and that is just  NOT NORMAL. Baekhyun even mentioned he can't keep up or work like Taemin who's such a perfectionist that works and practices hard for crazy amount of hours. Perfectionism is one of the symptoms of mental health disorder. Yes, he's an incredibly talented individual and because of his work ethic, his hard work and huge improvement paid off which is amazing but at a cost that affected his mental well-being. It's also common that creative and talented people are the often the most depressed. Plus, he's been growing up young in the spotlight and working like an adult with a hectic schedule, sleeping 2-4 hours per day. That's not good. He was also bullied at school after he debuted (this was a trending hot topic back then). I saw some interview from few years ago if I'm not mistaken, it's kinda sad where he wished if he could turn back time,  wished he chose a different path, not debut so young and that he wanted to have a normal lifestyle like being a college student who gets to hang out with friends and attend classes like most normal people his age do. It's similar to BoA who also complained about debuting so young as soloist that it felt so lonely. I thought it was crazy how she was shipped off to Japan and having a career in foreign country at such a crazy young age and being miles away from family. She's so lonely, she wished she was in SNSD -alot of members means alot of friends, which means she wished she debuted in a group and not as young and alone as she was. I mean couldn't imagine myself when I was 12-14 doing what they do alone. I needed my family, my parents with me at those crucial times of growing up. Growing up in the industry can mess up these young idols because they're expected to be  and work like adults.

As he enlisted, I think he found it hard to adjust to the routine and lifestyle in the army. About the rumored army thing that he went through (there's been many crazy rumors so idk which is true and false), I don't like to speculate about unconfirmed things but I'm not surprised his mental health worsened. 

His last release before enlistment titled "Advice", I guess make sense now. He's been struggling for awhile now.

I just hope he's okay and on the road to recovery.

Edited by schue
  • Tea 4
8 hours ago, Youahaen said:

It sucks that the military cant or wont protect celebrity soldiers. But, im super grateful that he was removed from that environment and able to serve safely. I hope he's being watched and supported while still having some privacy.

8 hours ago, gam3 bo1 said:

i hope i'm not prying too much but can i ask what the signs were from around 2020? i'm just a casual shinee listener so i didn't notice anything and he always seemed like his chirpy self to me, this whole thing breaks my heart.

so glad to know that he's getting support and all that, i truly hope he can become healthier and happier. god the military must be an insane environment to be in

Mental health runs deep so it's hard for me to pinpoint certain or specific events because that would be like me downplaying his depression. I just noticed something in 2020 which most people who followed his cb would noticed that he clearly went through tough times. That feeling when you're being neglected and mismanaged. But for all we know he could be suffering and undiagnosed/diagnosed way before that. I mean SHINee as a group was diagnosed with PTSD after Jonghyun's passing. Plus like someone else here said that he debuted so young in an industry that's not really healthy for someone that young while pushing himself and trying to deal with pressure in the public eye. Or it may not be anything that we can see/suspect but something he has to deal with in private like maybe a trauma or something that only he knew and went through. It's not clear cut.

My suspicion grew when he adopted a cute kitten early last year. I believe he was trying to manage his depression by having a cat but suddenly he was called up for conscription earlier than expected.

Tho I heard there's this one Japanese rumor mentioned something dated back in 2018/2019 about him that was extremely worrying and triggering. I don't think I could say what it is exactly and post it publicly like this. Back then, I just brushed off that kind of rumor thinking that it's all made up and lies by someone who just wanted attention. But now that official news came out about his mental health, it brought me back to that rumor. I just hope that rumor is still false tho.

• Like 1

This is in no way a sanitization of the Army, as it's a toxic, stressful environment. That being said, Taemin has been working since 14, training since younger. He's a workaholic, and might not know how to deal without his work.

I really hope this is an opportunity, so when he's out, he takes time off.

K-pop hasn't been the same for me since he left, but me and others would wait whatever it takes, for the sake of his health.