OneHallyu

Streamer accuses YouTube of creating “misleading narratives” by censoring dislikes

Twitch streamer Asmongold gave a big thumbs down to YouTube over the decision to no longer display dislikes on the platform, accusing the site of censoring opposition to corporate and government “propaganda.”

On November 10, YouTube announced it would no longer display dislikes on videos and instead only showcase the amount of likes that videos receive.

The site claimed that it was making this change to protect against “dislike attacks,” where viewers would mass-dislike videos as a way to harass content creators.

However, considering YouTube already lets users disable likes, dislikes and comments on their videos, this decision was slammed by many, including Twitch streamer Asmongold.

Asmongold blasts YouTube for dislike count change

The World of Warcraft streamer is no stranger to speaking out on hot-button issues, and YouTube’s dislike count was no different. In a series of posts, he blasted the Google-owned platform for a change that he feels is promoting censorship and making the site less safe.

“YouTube removing dislikes not only censors dissent from corporate propaganda and brand agendas,” he said. “It also protects predators and abusers from accountability to their audience, making new victims easier to find.”

He also pointed out that by removing only dislikes, narratives can be spun where content that would normally result in backlash would now look positively received.

“Removing Likes AND Dislikes from a video is removing feedback entirely,” he noted. “Removing ONLY Dislikes allows you to craft a positive and potentially misleading narrative regardless of the audience’s reaction.”

Asmongold says YouTube is censoring legitimate criticism

In his Twitch stream, Asmongold touched on the issue more, reiterating that YouTube was becoming more friendly towards “corporate propaganda.”

“It makes it more friendly towards corporations pushing propaganda and not being able to be criticized for it by the audience,” he explained. “It just makes the website more friendly towards corporate propaganda and government propaganda too.”

Asmongold isn’t the first big name in the streaming space to speak out against the decision. Felix ‘xQc’ Lengyel warned the site they were making a big mistake by implementing this change, while YouTube megastar PewDiePie thinks the system is fine as is.

The latter even cited his own experience looking up tutorial videos and knowing to avoid ones with a high dislike count, something Asmongold also touched upon.

“I don’t know how many times I’ve looked at a tech help video with 2 likes 38 dislikes and saved myself 15 minutes,” he remarked.

While it’s unlikely that YouTube backs down, in an interesting twist, the video the site uploaded announcing the removal of public dislikes has four times more downvotes than upvotes. Go figure.

This is definitely a political move. The Government does not want to see how many people are against the Covid propaganda videos they push (these videos have ALOT of dislikes than likes). They also don't want people to see that the current Biden administration is WIDELY unpopular.

they want people (mostly the younger generation) to go along with the lies the government makes without question. these corporations are NOT on the people's side!! the government has been outsourcing favorable censorship to private companies like facebook or youtube for almost the entire pandemic. 

Edited by Walmart Goddess
  • Like 1
  • Tea 1
  • Clown 2

Tbh he's right. They couldn't care less about "protecting small content creators" yeah right.

They're embarrassed that the most disliked video on their platform is their own god awful video that they wasted so much money on and has been clowned and memed ever since it came out.

Edited by Owlet
  • Like 2
  • Tea 2

I feel like people should have the right to disable it themselves. I'd not remove it entirely. Yes some videos get mass dislikes because of trolls but let whomever upload it decide whether they want to turn of comments and dislikes/likes. I wouldn't say it's a propaganda by YouTube though 

• Like 1

The YouTubers make some decent points. Whoever wrote the off-color political/anti-vaxxer propaganda at the bottom does not. Is that part of the article (which you provide no source for) or your own "contribution?" I'm guessing the latter, given the sudden & obvious breakdown in grammar. Removing dislikes from YouTube content can certainly allow for abuse by video uploaders, but this isn't some government scheme to make themselves look better or "outsource censorship." It's called a private company for a reason. YouTube isn't state-run, they make their own decisions. 

• Clown 1

a private company that clearly leans towards some government parties and clearly pushes some propaganda and YouTube is not some small little private company they are a big tech giant they are the new main stream media replacing TV CNN/BBC 

Edited by Mami3chan
  • Like 2
  • Clown 1
1 minute ago, Mami3chan said:

a private company that clearly leans towards some government parties and clearly pushes some propaganda and YouTube is not some small little private company they are a big tech giant they are the new main stream media replacing TV CNN/BBC 

Here we go with the typical "mainstream media bad!" propaganda. No, they don't clearly lean towards anything. That's your own misguided perception. YouTube allows people to create and upload their own videos to a large Internet platform, and that's all they do. While they have recently taken to some rather strange censorship patterns for the sake of advertisers, they do not censor nor promote any particular political party or opinion and never have.

• Clown 1
9 hours ago, Jikrytae said:

Here we go with the typical "mainstream media bad!" propaganda. No, they don't clearly lean towards anything. That's your own misguided perception. YouTube allows people to create and upload their own videos to a large Internet platform, and that's all they do. While they have recently taken to some rather strange censorship patterns for the sake of advertisers, they do not censor nor promote any particular political party or opinion and never have.

I feel I will be so ignorant to believe a giant big tech company like YouTube have absolutely no side to lean on with their censorship and algorithm maybe not as same as BBC & CNN but I mean YouTube is run by people and people can be biased maybe they don't side but do promote, they are a "private company" after all so they do pick and chose with their algorithm the flow of information, they just made it worse now they side with corporations 

I guess it's time to stop checking YouTube for tech help videos... rip 

• Tea 3
  • Clown 1
1 hour ago, Mami3chan said:

I feel I will be so ignorant to believe a giant big tech company like YouTube have absolutely no side to lean on with their censorship and algorithm maybe not as same as BBC & CNN but I mean YouTube is run by people and people can be biased maybe they don't side but do promote, they are a "private company" after all so they do pick and chose with their algorithm the flow of information, they just made it worse now they side with corporations 

I guess it's time to stop checking YouTube for tech help videos... rip 

Why do you assume a tech company automatically needs to have some sort of political bias to propagate, much less that they actually do so? You're acting like Google is a Chinese company or something. They have no reason to fear the government if they don't suck up or use their platform to spread government-approved propaganda. That's simply not how things work here.

• Clown 1
4 hours ago, Jikrytae said:

Why do you assume a tech company automatically needs to have some sort of political bias to propagate, much less that they actually do so? You're acting like Google is a Chinese company or something. They have no reason to fear the government if they don't suck up or use their platform to spread government-approved propaganda. That's simply not how things work here.

funny you think only Chinese companies do that lmfao 

mate youtube's algorithm and censorship alone is enough, I don't wanna go off-topic by providing examples but I came across enough videos that YouTube would warn me twice before I can watch and I am like what's with the warnings? and then when I watch those videos I can clearly see that YouTube is warning me not to watch videos that are biased towards or against a certain political party < that's alone is a dead giveaway out of many others lol

its simply because they benefit from making a choice that helps their business, politics have impact on everything and that includes private companies so when they lean more towards the side that is winning its like going along with the wind direction 

• Like 1
  • Clown 1
9 hours ago, Mami3chan said:

funny you think only Chinese companies do that lmfao 

mate youtube's algorithm and censorship alone is enough, I don't wanna go off-topic by providing examples but I came across enough videos that YouTube would warn me twice before I can watch and I am like what's with the warnings? and then when I watch those videos I can clearly see that YouTube is warning me not to watch videos that are biased towards or against a certain political party < that's alone is a dead giveaway out of many others lol

its simply because they benefit from making a choice that helps their business, politics have impact on everything and that includes private companies so when they lean more towards the side that is winning its like going along with the wind direction 

I use YouTube daily and I've never seen such warnings, so I have no way of knowing you're telling the truth. But the fact that you were looking for videos that are so biased towards or against a certain political party that they could conceivably be given such warnings could equally be considered a "dead giveaway" in its own right. 

You claim YouTube is leaning towards the side that is currently winning for their own benefit, yet I never saw the algorithm pushing me to watch propaganda videos made by Republicans for the previous 4 years. So your argument doesn't add up. I think the more likely explanation is that you personally are being recommended political videos because you would have watched them anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Clown 1
13 hours ago, Jikrytae said:

I use YouTube daily and I've never seen such warnings, so I have no way of knowing you're telling the truth. But the fact that you were looking for videos that are so biased towards or against a certain political party that they could conceivably be given such warnings could equally be considered a "dead giveaway" in its own right. 

You claim YouTube is leaning towards the side that is currently winning for their own benefit, yet I never saw the algorithm pushing me to watch propaganda videos made by Republicans for the previous 4 years. So your argument doesn't add up. I think the more likely explanation is that you personally are being recommended political videos because you would have watched them anyway. 

you are just in denial that's about it lol obviously you haven't seen anything you never heard anything nothing happened it's all fine YouTube is pure and perfect they have no bias they ain't no Chinese lol

moving on/

Edited by Mami3chan
  • Like 1
  • Tea 1
  • Clown 1
On 11/20/2021 at 7:36 PM, Jikrytae said:

Yep. I've never come across any kind of warnings whatsoever whenever I watch a video on YouTube that could be considered political, and, while I'm not a Republican, I do lean more towards the right. I've never had a hard time watching anything on YouTube that talks about things from a more conservative viewpoint.

5 hours ago, benseac said:

Yep. I've never come across any kind of warnings whatsoever whenever I watch a video on YouTube that could be considered political, and, while I'm not a Republican, I do lean more towards the right. I've never had a hard time watching anything on YouTube that talks about things from a more conservative viewpoint.

it's a very few videos I guess I should've been more specific now I wish I bookmarked those just to share them 😪

another thing is the search engine sometimes 

the funniest example I came across is if you type "David Icke" there is a specific video uploaded by "dr.Todd Grande" channel which was a debunk of the covid19 conspiracy theory! that video was always the one that came on top every time you search David Icke lol what's even more hilarious is that it got 90% dislikes a ton of dislikes almost half a million or something which was crazy and the comments were also bringing it up how this video is always the one up the top (not anymore now it's the second) obviously you can't see the dislikes now but the comments are still there lol 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Mami3chan said:

the funniest example I came across is if you type "David Icke"...

Hmm...

Side Eye Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

David Vaughan Icke (/ˈdeɪvɪd vɔːn aɪk/; born 29 April 1952) is an English conspiracy theorist and a former footballer and sports broadcaster. He has written over 20 books, self-published since the mid-1990s, and spoken in more than 25 countries.

In 1990, he visited a psychic who told him he was on Earth for a purpose and would receive messages from the spirit world. This led him to state in 1991 he was a "Son of the Godhead" and that the world would soon be devastated by tidal waves and earthquakes, predictions he repeated on the BBC show Wogan. His appearance led to public ridicule. Books Icke wrote over the next 11 years developed his world view of New Age conspiracism. His endorsement of an antisemitic forgery, The Protocols of the Elders of Zion, in The Robots' Rebellion (1994) and And the Truth Shall Set You Free (1995) led his publisher to stop handling his books, which were then self-published.

Icke believes the universe to consist of "vibrational" energy and infinite dimensions sharing the same space. He claims an inter-dimensional race of reptilian beings, the Archons or Anunnaki, have hijacked the Earth and a genetically modified human–Archon hybrid race of shape-shifting reptilians – the Babylonian Brotherhood, Illuminati or "elite" – manipulate events to keep humans in fear, so that the Archons can feed off the resulting "negative energy". He claims many public figures belong to the Babylonian Brotherhood and propel humanity towards a global fascist state or New World Order, a post-truth era ending freedom of speech. He sees the only way to defeat such "Archontic" influence is for people to wake up to the truth and fill their hearts with love. Critics have accused Icke of being antisemitic and a Holocaust denier with his theories of reptilians serving as a deliberate "code". Icke denies these claims.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Icke

Gee, I can't imagine why anything "funny" might happen when one does that. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Jikrytae
On 11/29/2021 at 3:43 PM, Mami3chan said:

it's a very few videos I guess I should've been more specific now I wish I bookmarked those just to share them 😪

another thing is the search engine sometimes 

the funniest example I came across is if you type "David Icke" there is a specific video uploaded by "dr.Todd Grande" channel which was a debunk of the covid19 conspiracy theory! that video was always the one that came on top every time you search David Icke lol what's even more hilarious is that it got 90% dislikes a ton of dislikes almost half a million or something which was crazy and the comments were also bringing it up how this video is always the one up the top (not anymore now it's the second) obviously you can't see the dislikes now but the comments are still there lol 

Youtube actually even censored a doctor who went to Stanford University and has a PHD. The Youtube employee who censored them? He didn't even have a medical degree at all, yet they think they have the authority to censor and lecture a doctor about "misinformation". This is most definitely political and all about money. They are trying to protect the cashflow going into Big Pharma's pockets (youtube is obviously on their side like many corrupted politicians)

as the top comment says "Censoring doesn't make it untrue, only that you're afraid of what is being said."

Edited by Walmart Goddess
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, Walmart Goddess said:

Youtube actually even censored a doctor who went to Stanford University and has a PHD. The Youtube employee who censored them? He didn't even have a medical degree at all, yet they think they have the authority to censor and lecture a doctor about "misinformation". This is most definitely political and all about money. They are trying to protect the cashflow going into Big Pharma's pockets (youtube is obviously on their side like many corrupted politicians)

as the top comment says "Censoring doesn't make it untrue, only that you're afraid of what is being said."

exactly a bunch of doctors were censored especially those who came with natural home remedie type stuff to tackle covid although people actually found success with them and it helped them.

yet you have idiots who stick to "YouTube" is private company stupid argument like bruh them being private doesn't stop them lol they are powerful enough they can control flow of information to a degree in order to promote/push an idea or a narrative etc... 

they can do so much more now with the dislike button removed lol