OneHallyu

Official Climate Crisis Thread: Hawaiian Wildfire and Water Crisis (8/1/2021)

I honestly was torn on if I should make this thread, but there's just too many news stories about the Earth's climate crisis that I'd probably posting 10 a day. This thread now will house those stories so the Current News & Event board won't be swamped by them. 

If you see a story you want to contribute, please post. Please make sure it's a recent story. If there is any sensitive content please make sure you warn readers and put it under a spoiler.

Edited by Your Biggest Fan
  • Like 2
  • Crying 1
  • Your Biggest Fan changed the title to Official Climate Crisis Thread: Deadly Flooding In Zhengshou, Henan Province, China (7/21/2021)

A year's worth of rain in just a few days....just think about it for more than two seconds. It's just the beginning.

If this doesn't get politicians moving, then we are truly fucked.

• Clown 1

If you are wondering how high flood waters are, it has reached up to the third floor/story of some buildings. -Zhengshou Flood, China

The government is trying to divert the water from the area.

19 minutes ago, No1 said:

A year's worth of rain in just a few days....just think about it for more than two seconds. It's just the beginning.

I searched for the rainfall average and it says 630mm (63cm/25inches) and that's a whole lot of rain, i'm in shock.

It's also not a region used to this much rain like Germany

_

I don't have any recent RECENT news but I got a few things to share: My country is about to suffer an electricity crisis because we're currently on a historic drought on our biggest hydropower basis. Last year the biggest wetland in the world (Pantanal) caught fire and 80% of it got devastated by flames. In my city 8 out of the 10 biggest rainfalls in 24 hours happened in the last decade(countless lives have been lost). My region has suffered the longest drought in it's history, it lasted 8 years 2011-2019 (By the way it's the WETTEST semiarid zone in the world).

Honorable mentions to Australia wildfires; Cape Town almost running out of water; China just last year with devastating floods and three gorges bending due the extreme rainfall; Amazon Forest in absolute flames

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

I absolutely abhor their govt., and their gov't officials that were making fun about the Miami--Dade building incident as if China doesn't see buildings collapsing almost every other day (look it up), they also talked about the Germany flooding...constantly tooting their own horn, while actually censoring or giving their citizens censored news! CCTV presenters praised the Chinese govt for doing a good job dealing with the floods while you have people literally dying and drowning in subways. They deserve better. Fuck Hua Chunying, and Zhao Lijian, there is a special place in hell for them. 

• Tea 2
  • Dislike 1
  • Your Biggest Fan changed the title to Official Climate Crisis Thread: Deadly Monsoon In India Kills Over 130; 90,000 Evacuated (7/26/2021)

More Than 130 Killed In Deadly Monsoon In India/ California Dixie Fire Has Burned New York Sized Acres/ Mega Drought Continues In Western US

Western India Monsoon and Mudslides

Thank you for this thread OP! It's very needed.

Onto the the recent news: My goodness. Wildfires are becoming so common, it's insane. I hope they find the cause. If it's not lightning strikes, the government really needs to impose strict laws and take severe action against the perpetrators. The rockslide in India was heartbreaking too. It absolutely battered the area and killed people.

I found some news about the Great Barrier Reef. Coral bleaching seems to only be getting worse. People don't care at all.

India is already facing the catastrophic effects of climate change. If people aren't convinced it's real, then I seriously don't know what to do.

• Like 1
  • Your Biggest Fan changed the title to Official Climate Crisis Thread: Sardinia, Italy Firestorms (7/29/2021)
  • Your Biggest Fan changed the title to Official Climate Crisis Thread: Brazil's Summer Snow (7/30/2021)

Temperatures in Brazil dip causing ice and snow accumulations up to 3ft in some areas. The summer snow storm threatens numerous crops in the country, such as: coffee, sugar cane and oranges. This is the first time many Brazilians are seeing snow in person.

Edited by Your Biggest Fan
  • Your Biggest Fan changed the title to Official Climate Crisis Thread: Hawaiian Wildfire and Water Crisis (8/1/2021)

Crews on Hawaii's big island have been fighting a brush fire that has now burned over 14,000 acres. Evacuation orders have been given to residents.

To make matters worse the government of Hawaii has now ordered residents to start rationing their water, so as to not inconvenience tourist who are coming to the island chain in droves. Not only is the tourism bring this water crisis but also an uptick of cases in Covid.