OneHallyu

Your k-drama journey: what was the first K-drama you ever watched, and did you enjoy/finish it?

My first ever drama was City Hunter! I didn’t like it so I never finished it.

I’ve tried maybe hmmm 7 or 8 dramas? The only one I ever finished was To The Beautiful You, which most people hated! Maybe it’s because I was a fan of both Minho and Sulli but it kept me entertained. But I’ve felt maybe k-dramas are just not my cup of tea. 

Let me know what your kdrama journey is like!

List your favorites too!

Full House. And yes I finished. It had no subtitles back then either. I have watched a lot of Kdramas since. 

The first Kdrama I ever watched was The Suspicious Housekeeper, mainly because it was a remake of a Japanese drama I really liked and wanted to see how it compared. I didn't finish it because they added a ridiculous subplot which wasn't in the original and had too many flashbacks. Now I'm used to the Kdrama format so these don't bother me as much lol

Watched quite a few since. My favorites are the short webdramas you can finish in the course of a weekend or so.

• Like 1

my friend told me about this weird show she was watching called Goong (Princess Hours) so I watched it too around 2013. I didn't rly like it but i finished it because it felt so new and unique and I was waiting to see if the main lead ever became nice to the girl? I remember being so confused as to why the girl liked this boy who was constantly mean to her and didn't want to even be in the same room as her

i later learned that these stories were just a massive thing in asia in the 90's and 00's that these cute innocent girls had  crushes on these boys who were just plainly horrible to them. i still dont get it 🙃

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

I was so young(like four) when I watched my first k-drama/s I actually have no idea which one was the first first, but it would say it's a tie between these three:

Jewel In the Palace

My Lovely Sam-Soon

Sad Love Story

And out of all of them? I only recall finishing SLS; thoroughly enjoyed it (I still can't watch the final without bursting into tears), and my sister loves it so much she bought the manga. I'm on the edges on if I finished MLSS or not and other than knowing my mom was a fan of Hyunbin, especially after Secret Garden when we all truly started watching k-dramas, I have almost no recollection of the show or even remember most scenes besides the cake scene that I think, no swear by, was episode 3, and I know for a fact that I never finished Jewel despite the constant reruns the show gets in my country but I think I've watched more than 20 episodes of it. 

But Boys Over Flowers and IRIS were the real deal in terms of piquing interest in dramas, from there we went from City Hunter(really most Lee Min Ho dramas) to Hearthstone and You're Beautiful which made my sister obsessed with CNBLUE's Yonghwa. And that's pretty much the start of my korean drama journey, not really a fan of them anymore but the (slightly) realistic or speculative ones like Sky Castle, Familiar Wife, and Mother are some of the best dramas I've watched in a long time. I just don't think all these overly sappy dramas on channels like SBS/KBS are my thing anymore so I mostly aim to find dramas from TvN, JTBC or OCN.

Edited by Dianun
I'm not going to actually edit the post, but I will add I meant "Heartstings" not "Hearthstone", my fatigue and slightly addicted brain must have immediately written "hstone" after heart by reflex :D
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)

I started out with movies before dramas. I started out with "Jenny, Juno" then "My Sassy Girl".

I don't remember the name of the first drama I saw but it was a Highschool drama 

Edited by loveablejoy

Boys Over Flowers. I was like 12 years old and I remember watching the dubbed version on TV. It was a masterpiece for my 12 y.o self and I was so upset Jandi ended up with Junpyo 😭    

3 hours ago, UMJI MOODS said:

Full House. And yes I finished. It had no subtitles back then either. I have watched a lot of Kdramas since. 

A great and hilarious drama.

Mine was IRIS, which I loved and finished. It should have been my gateway to kpop (Big Bang, but I ignored the entrance and stumbled upon Shinee weeks later and loved them and here I am still 12 years later).

• Love 1
Posted (edited)

It was Full House starring Rain and Song Hye Kyo. It's incredibly funny, it's the reason I got into kdrama. In fact, I got into kdrama first before kpop. Actually around 2010/2011 I finally got into kpop, before that I was more into jpop(especially Kat-tun) and jdramas.

Edited by Youahaen
  • Like 1