Jump to content
OneHallyu Will Be Closing End Of 2023 ×
OneHallyu

"Kingdom" reportedly questioned on fairness over cost of production for performance stages + Mnet responds


Lee

Recommended Posts

On March 29, industry representatives reported of an issue that arose while recording performances for a hit song mission. Each group was told beforehand that the maximum budget for stage decoration would be 5 million won (approximately $4,416) each in order to ensure fairness. However, during the recording, some of the groups’ agencies reportedly asked why a certain group had an extravagant set and props that appeared to be far over the budget and questioned if it was due to CJ ENM investing in the group’s agency. According to the report, the production team said at the time that it is because the group’s props were from their concert, but as the other groups have also had concerts with props that could’ve been used, their agencies continued to speak out.

In response to the report, Mnet’s “Kingdom” has released the following official statement:

As it is the first competition round, we set a budget to equally coordinate the six teams’ performances, but we apologize for not considering details that could’ve been defined like limits and possible situations. Following the first competition round, the production team is realizing the gravity of the issue regarding this aspect.

However, as we have to prioritize the artists’ creatives for the best possible performances, we have concerns and are cautious about presenting a specific guide regarding all aspects of stage set production.

The “Kingdom” production team is working hard for the artists to be able to focus on their performances and create the best possible performances by having close conversations with the six teams and their agencies. We will do our best in order for future competition rounds to be carried out smoothly.

Source: Soompi

Edited by Lee
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

ExngHYUVgAE91-J?format=jpg

 
The show haven't began airing yet but it's already a mess after mess. But I can't say I'm surprised bc it's an Mnet show and we all know Mnet are infamous for rigging and manipulation.

Anyway, all these noises and controversies before the show starts will raise the publicity for the show.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Lee changed the title to "Kingdom" reportedly questioned on fairness over cost of production for performance stages + Mnet responds

spacer.png

The production team of Mnet's upcoming boy group competition program 'Kingdom' have publicly apologized for a recent controversy regarding fairness.

 

On March 29 KST, it was revealed that some participating groups prepared much more expensive stage sets and props for their first performances than others, sparking controversy over fairness. All groups' stage production costs were initially set at 5 million Korean won (~$4,412 USD); however, some groups' agency representatives vocalized suspicions of preferential treatment as other groups seemed to have gone over budget with pricier props and sets — with one group even incorporating underwater filming.

Upon further investigation of the situation, it was discovered that the budget for each stage had been increased past 5 million Korean won, but the budget change was only communicated to three of the six groups.

 

In response of the miscommunication, the 'Kingdom' production team put out a press release offering a formal apology and stating that the production team will be taking the matters seriously moving forward in the competition.

"The 'Kingdom' production team is working closely with the six groups and their agencies to help them focus on their stages and create the best performances possible. We will henceforce do our best to ensure the upcoming competition goes smoothly," they concluded.
 

Meanwhile, 'Kingdom' will begin airing on April 1, featuring participating boy groups The Boyz, BTOB, iKON, Stray Kids, ATEEZ, and SF9.

Source

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why is Kingdom already a mess and it hasn't even started?

"the production team will be taking the matters seriously moving forward in the competition"
Shouldn't this be a given? Should have been taking matters seriously from the start. What is this unfairness?

Also please please JYP, play fair, Stray Kids are in a very delicate position, don't make this show an excuse for people to hate on them, don't create situations that could give them negative attention. I hope they're not the group with the underwater part, because now that that's out you can bet people are going to use it against them.

I'm stressed already.

tenor.gif?itemid=7255626

Edited by Hizu
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Hizu said:

Why is Kingdom already a mess and it hasn't even started?

"the production team will be taking the matters seriously moving forward in the competition"
Shouldn't this be a given? Should have been taking matters seriously from the start. What is this unfairness?

Also please please JYP, play fair, Stray Kids are in a very delicate position, don't make this show an excuse for people to hate on them, don't create situations that could give them negative attention. I hope they're not the group with the underwater part, because now that that's out you can bet people are going to use it against them.

I'm stressed already.

tenor.gif?itemid=7255626

So right now, pann girls are suspecting that Mnet is trying to shift the hate that Ateez was getting to The Boyz. 2 articles came out, they both mention a group under a company that CJ invested in, the only group that fits this desciption is Ateez. Then a 3rd article came out (written by a journalist who also was the quickest to get access to Mnet's response) didn't mention about the CJ invesment, and mentioned a group who did underwater shoot instead (which is The Boyz). There is context to the first 2 articles mentioning the group that CJ invested in as well, according to them (and Mnet didn't deny this), other companies saw how extravagant that group's stage was and they complained, which led to the miscommunication being discovered. But the underwater shoot mention has no context, just "oh yeah 1 group did underwater shoot btw."

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So they forgot to inform half of the groups

We have to wait until the 1st to see which groups were made aware of the budget change? 

This show is gonna be a disaster but I like 4/6 of these groups so I guess I'm here to stay 
Turn Up Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

  • Tea 1
  • LOL 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, soman said:

So right now, pann girls are suspecting that Mnet is trying to shift the hate that Ateez was getting to The Boyz. 2 articles came out, they both mention a group under a company that CJ invested in, the only group that fits this desciption is Ateez. Then a 3rd article came out (written by a journalist who also was the quickest to get access to Mnet's response) didn't mention about the CJ invesment, and mentioned a group who did underwater shoot instead (which is The Boyz). There is context to the first 2 articles mentioning the group that CJ invested in as well, according to them (and Mnet didn't deny this), other companies saw how extravagant that group's stage was and they complained, which led to the miscommunication being discovered. But the underwater shoot mention has no context, just "oh yeah 1 group did underwater shoot btw."

Why would Mnet try to shift the hate? Is it because they invested in Ateez?

tumblr_o8f32yNAem1r9f1l9o5_400.gifv

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Hizu said:

Why would Mnet try to shift the hate? Is it because they invested in Ateez?

tumblr_o8f32yNAem1r9f1l9o5_400.gifv

Maybe, or bc they hate The Boyz, remember how they evil edited Haknyeon in broduce? Now ateez and tbz are getting hate comments even tho mnet is the one being shady as hell

Edited by soman
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, soman said:

Maybe, or bc they hate The Boyz, remember how they evil edited Haknyeon in broduce? Now ateez and tbz are getting hate comments even tho mnet is the one being shady as hell

Maybe they have some issue with Cre.Ker. Well, the ones who profit from corruption are bound to get hate, even though the blame is on the companies. I just hope this is the end of it, I like drama as much as anyone else, but I like these groups and I want them to go on peacefully.

tumblr_o8f32yNAem1r9f1l9o3_400.gifv

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, LiterallyMadethistocomment said:

The shows such a mess we dont even have to wait for the performances to see some drama.

Anticipation Popcorn GIF

And this is without the fanwars yet 😂 will be much more exciting once the show starts.

Lmao...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestky its dumb af the groups get hate for this when its mnet mistake

But i don't doubt for one second mnet would try to shift hate to tbz after what they did to haknyeon on broduce. Mnet im 100% sure has no favortism to the boyz. Back in early broduce i rmr other hak fans thought they will not make him look good cuz hes from loen(kakao m) company and mnet has cj. I was like...hes just a trainee? No way mnet will he THAT petty. 🤡🤡🤡 like mnet just be on your best behavior ffs. They alr fked with the group enough

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

the individual companies are getting competitive~ suspecting everything o.o fun!!

 

Spoiler

According to an exclusive report from Ilgan Sports, Kingdom recently completed the filming of their first contest between the boy groups, titled, “The Hit Song Mission.” During the mission, one group’s agency raised the issue that there was bias regarding the stage set-up. Specifically, one group’s stage was decorated with an expensive set and props. The other groups’ managers asked the production team to maintain a fair environment for all contestants.

Kingdom informed the groups in advance that the maximum stage production cost for the first mission would be ₩5 million KRW (~$4,417 USD). The purpose of this limit on production costs is to fairly examine each group, as they all have different stage personalities as well. However, one group in the competition is reported to have had special treatment, and it was even suspected that the group had CJ ENM backing them. The rumors started because the stage set and props that they used easily exceeded the ₩5 million KRW limit.

The production team allegedly tried to shut down the unfair treatment, explaining that the props and sets were reused from old concerts. The other groups rebutted that they all have had concert experience as well but did not use past props to loophole around the budget limit. It was even reported that the unfair treatment became so severe, several of the group’s agencies went to Mnet to complain about the issue. CR.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Back to Top