Forums Rules Staff Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
windy_dayy

Why do many groups always stand in specific order?

My apology if I sound dumb. 

I've noticed that many groups when taking pictures or walking red carpet, they're always in a specific order. It makes sense that the leader is in the middle, but groups like (G)I-dle is very consistent with this rule. And it's even more interesting that Soyeon always always stands next to Yuqi, even when other members switch their position around. I wonder what kind of rule this is and why do they have to do this? I know this thing has been in Kpop for ages but I never put a thought in it until now.

Edited by windy_dayy

maybe to balance height difference, or to always have the visual member in the middle, there must be a different reason for each group

maybe to balance height difference, or to always have the visual member in the middle, there must be a different reason for each group

Sometimes it's about heights. So the gaps don't look too big. I've seen a lot the 2 tallest members in both ends and then the rest of the members get shorter the closer to the center.

In Mamamoo it's always

Moonbyul - Solar - Wheein - Hwasa

It's not like they have a huge height gap but it's always like this

Different reasons... The ones I remember from the go:
height - so group would look more pleasing to the eye in the photos

visuals - are usually stan attractors. By putting them into the spotlight/center, companies hope to attract new fans

harmony - if some perform acapella or harmonize vocals in their songs a lot - lead singer will be in the center. Lead singer is basically giving a tone for all other members in the harmony like this

Edited by MinnieMax
  • Like 1

It's primarily because someone said this is how you should stand to look best and with the added benefit of stans finding their favs instantly.

In (G)I-DLE's case, and I'm just guessing here, Soyeon and Yuqi are always in the center as they are the best known members by the general public, Minnie and Soojin get the outside places (and they sometimes swap sides) because they are the tallest. Miyeon probably gets the left side because Yuqi and Miyeon nearly always have lighter hair and putting them apart looks. more pleasing.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Love 1

It's habitual, they're definitely trained to organize in a particular order

I don't know all the factors that go into that order though. Height, leadership, and who the visuals is/are are definitely considered. I imagine it's also somewhat similar to the first formation they do in a performance- so that they don't have to do a huge transition to get into formation (could be messy for a big group with 10+ members)

I think the person in or near the middle also has the responsibility of centering the group on the... well, center. So that they're not off center when they perform or appear on camera. This is a huge reason to make sure the middle member is always the same, so that they never have to think "I don't know if I'm centered because usually I'm on the left" they just do the same thing every time.

Another reason could be so that the stylists know how to dress the idols for their appearances. Let's say they're using two main colors in the outfits, like red and black. It'll look best if the "red" and "black" members are spread out and balanced. But if the stylists don't know what order the idols appear in, they might accidentally dress one side in red and the other in black and then it'll look like two different groups. Instead of reorganizing the order based on outfits, it's best to just have everything be consistent. And if they're performing, the outfit color distribution also has to be balanced in the dance formations so that's another reason for consistency the whole way through.

edit: I posted at the same time as Siobhan Halo, and their post is actually a great example of the colour thing! G-idle looks really balanced in every photo even when they're wearing two different color themes, and it's no accident.

Edited by seokii

I think it depends on the group. 
Before Seungri retired it was almost always Taeyang in the middle because he is the shortest. 

TOP - Seungri - Taeyang - GD - Daesung or a variation

Sometimes it changed but I think they did that because, like I said, he’s short and, during red carpet interviews, he’s the one that talks. TOP hates public speaking. Daesung and GD are really shy. 

The main reason is because it's easier than thinking "where should I stand now" every time they take photos, especially during on-the-spot pictures like red carpet etc. And from viewer pov, it's easier to notice who is who if the position remains the same.

As for the order, it depends on each group. Based on age, height, position, if the youngest/the shortest/the center stand in center, etc. And for produce 101 and family-produced groups, based on final rank. For example #1 in center, #2 and #3 besides her/him, and so on.

• Like 1

Basically is represents how the company wants the group to be seen by others. To look good for press photos and interviews. Sometimes even magazines and more. Who do the company want people's eyes to focus on first? Therefore usually the main visual and/or center is in the center. Sometimes the leader too. And then the rest of the members is a mix of importance of their roles in group, visual appeal and trying to balance the height.

For example let's take BTS -

V - Suga - Jin - Jungook - Namjoon - Jimin - Jhope

Jungkook is the unofficial official center of BTS. The golden maknae. So he tends to always be in the center. On the side of him is Namjoon the leader, and Jin who was named the visual by Bighit at debut. The rest is base on height. Jimin and Suga are shorter then V and Jhope. Tho an argument could be made it's base on their roles in the group at debut too. 

Side note: Companies make these official line ups at debut, but we all know idols can change. Individuals grow taller, more visually appealing with maturity, gain more popularity and etc. So sometimes we see them change things around, but overall groups will tend to stick to that same line up.

One of Gfriend's very first videos was a clip of them figuring out their standing order lol

It makes it sort of symmetrical height-wise.  More aesthetically pleasing.

Ppl focus more on the ones in middle then their eyes move to the sides so usually the leader and prettier members are in middle also taller members are on both sides. They just stand in the order that their company decided would make the team look the best and to have more talkative members at the center

Stray Kids do it too

usually it's:

Lee Know - Han - I.N - Felix - Chan - Hyunjin - Seungmin - Changbin

(Woojin used to be between Seungmin and Changbin iirc)

I guess it makes sense to put Felix - Chan - Hyunjin in the middle since they're the most popular members

they do it on red carpets, concerts during their ment  and in some promotional videos

they started doing it early last year when they started doing world tours

which is kinda surprising because afaik no other JYP group does it

In the case of Cravity, 

spacer.png

(Minhee, Taeyoung, Serim, Allen, Hyeongjun, Seongmin, Wonjin, Woobin, Jungmo) 

Hyeongjun in centre - Most well known, Biggest fandom, 4th/5th/6th in height

Minhee, Jungmo at the 2 ends - Tallest and 2nd tallest

Allen, Seongmin - the 2 shortest members

Taeyoung - 3rd tallest 

Serim - Leader, maybe next to Allen as Allen is the english speaker of the group

Woobin is taller than Wonjin so he is placed next to Jungmo

Edited by Ksoo9

In SHINee it was always:

Jinki - Taemin - Jonghyun - Minho - Kibum

With Jonghyun being the shortest and the voice of the group, he was always aswering along side Kibum.

Taemin is the center of the group and Minho the visual. Both of them at his side. 

Jinki being in a position where he can see all the members and lead them to do the greetings and guide them. 

But, for their promotions in Japan it was: Jinki - Jonghyun - Taemin - Minho - Kibum

That because Taemin was the center and has the face for their marketing there. But it was Kibum who ended up talking for them (in their first years)

28 minutes ago, Isbell said:

In SHINee it was always:

Jinki - Taemin - Jonghyun - Minho - Kibum

With Jonghyun being the shortest and the voice of the group, he was always aswering along side Kibum.

Taemin is the center of the group and Minho the visual. Both of them at his side. 

Jinki being in a position where he can see all the members and lead them to do the greetings and guide them. 

But, for their promotions in Japan it was: Jinki - Jonghyun - Taemin - Minho - Kibum

That because Taemin was the center and has the face for their marketing there. But it was Kibum who ended up talking for them (in their first years)

I also think that JongHyun was pushed as the vocal-visual(for newer Kpop fans, e.g. NCT Jaehyun & aespa Winter) in the earlier days that is another reason he was placed in the middle.