OneHallyu

Why doesn't Aespa feel real to me?

I get what you mean, but because I have waited for this group for such a long time that I can't believe that it finally happened. Everytime I see Ningning I'm like "Nah that can't be her". I think it will take me a while before realizing 

Edited by smrookies girls
  • Love 1
38 minutes ago, smrookies girls said:

I get what you mean, but because I have waited for this group for such a long time that I can't believe that it finally happened. Everytime I see Ningning I'm like "Nah that can't be her". I think it will take me a while before realizing 

I wasn't really excited to see them or waited for them

Edited by Thatoneuser
  • Like 1
30 minutes ago, Belkiss said:

bad timing, you feel as if they came out of nowhere 

This is how SM debuts their girl groups post snsd though

11 minutes ago, Corysilk said:

They literally broke the youtube record...how can you not feel that their presence is real?

Youtube is the most artificial way to measure success especially with a lot of acts getting more than 75% of their views from ads.

• Tea 10

For me I kinda feel that way, and I think it's because I haven't seen much (any?) content from aespa yet where they look like real people...

I'm not saying that they don't look like real people in their videos lol but the makeup and styling is just so heavy on them, I haven't seen them in light makeup and airport clothes, you know? I've only seen them in their heavily SM-ified state so far.

I feel like once I see them dressed down in lighter makeup and being chatty with the camera they'll feel more real

2 hours ago, Punchy said:

This is how SM debuts their girl groups post snsd though

Youtube is the most artificial way to measure success especially with a lot of acts getting more than 75% of their views from ads.

I thought SM was one of the few companies that still didn't use ads along with Big Hit? Even though some people were saying they've started to use them since Make a wish (that had over 20M in 24 hours too) when no other NCT song reached that number so soon before.

Just now, hynapia said:

I thought SM was one of the few companies that still didn't use ads along with Big Hit? Even though some people were saying they've started to use them since Make a wish (that had over 20M in 24 hours too) when no other NCT song reached that number so soon before.

Yeah they started recently taemin's song has like a 60% rate if I remember correctly

2 minutes ago, Punchy said:

Yeah they started recently taemin's song has like a 60% rate if I remember correctly

wow Taemin's song too? I didn't expect that from SM since until recently they were basically the only company (at least big company) along with Big Hit that had "organic" views. But it make sense because NCT, even if they've grown a lot this year, never had 25M in 24 hours before, not even with kick it that was much more popular/well received than make a wish. And same with Aespa, I get they were very anticipated and a lot of casual listeners probably checked them out but it's still kinda shocking how they had more views than established groups like RV, Mamamoo, Twice's recent comebacks or other trendy rookies like Itzy and G-idle.

10 hours ago, hynapia said:

wow Taemin's song too? I didn't expect that from SM since until recently they were basically the only company (at least big company) along with Big Hit that had "organic" views. But it make sense because NCT, even if they've grown a lot this year, never had 25M in 24 hours before, not even with kick it that was much more popular/well received than make a wish. And same with Aespa, I get they were very anticipated and a lot of casual listeners probably checked them out but it's still kinda shocking how they had more views than established groups like RV, Mamamoo, Twice's recent comebacks or other trendy rookies like Itzy and G-idle.

SM started ads with SuperM. I remember seeing SuperM ads alot in Aug and Sept. And then NCT - Taemin - and now Aespa.

As someone that has always loved SM groups...I agree they really don't feel that much like an SM group. It's like they're trying to be everything at the same time and not really shining at something in particular.

Lack of content is definitely making them appear underwhelming too. The avatars barely appear in their videos so they don't feel particularly powerful. It will be better once SM starts dishing out the other content they have planned for them as shown in the initial teasers, with comics and games/apps about them becoming a thing.

However we will see how impactful this will be. It's honestly hard to compete against something like League of Legends that is one of the most popular games ever made that already had an established fanbase. We also don't know yet if everything showcased will actually be delivered and I really hope for these girl's sake that it does.

Also let me be real sincere, sometimes it's hard to look on past groups that literally made history and compare them with some of the newer ones. All the idols I've ever liked, I liked them because they also inspired me. And I don't find myself feeling the same way for many of the ones that have been debuting recently.

All that said, I will wait a little more to fully judge AESPA because many groups flourish a bit later than their debut and I hope SM will analyze the situation properly and act accordingly. These girls surely worked hard to debut like everyone else and you can literally see the nervousness painted on their face so I don't want to hate on them, just wishing for SM to do a better job going on and to give more weight to the members personalities and qualities. Especially their singing since it's always been SM's strong point. I think their voices sound good but having only 1 song really killed some of the excitement. I think once they begin focusing on that it will help them a lot too.

EDIT: Forgot to add, one thing that also felt underwhelming to me was their song's lyrics. They talk excusively about their avatars but we didn't even get a video of their avatars dancing or something. It feels like they are barely a thing and as such makes their song less interesting. This too will be less of a problem once we get more songs with ""hopefully"" different themes, but I just really wish to have some more substance going on, you know what I mean? Like, this song didn't make me feel ANYTHING. Be it love, be it confidence, be it playfulness, there has to be something that makes you react to what you're listening to, either by relating to it or by getting some sort of energy from it.

Edited by Pink Bear