Forums Rules Staff Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
Sign in to follow this  
Hyun-Sung-In

Am I the only one who misses the old anime style?

I like especially the 90s style. I think it was much easier to find visually appealing male characters....and mind you all of these shows are basically aimed at male audience:

Kenchen1.jpg

marron.jpg

53481.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

meanwhile nowadays, even anime aimed at girls/women have incredibly bland male character design:

latest?cb=20190625152004

luckily there are some exceptions, tho only few: I did enjoy JoJo, Hanako kun and One Punch Man.

do you feel similar way or do you think its just my problem because I have outdated taste?

Edited by Hyun-Sung-In

I can't relate, I dislike most of 90's animes art style lmao. I prefer how animes look nowadays and I hate Jojo's artstyle

I think it depends a lot on the type of anime too, shojo boys are made to look like common flower boys, not too characterized so the viewers can identify themselves more to it, while in shonen characters have more physical features to them that often comes from what they lived etc, like typically Tanjiro from KNY with the scar and his hair that were cut. Also depends on where and when the anime takes place, if it's modern times they tend to be more "bland" bc yeah, that's how some randoms today would look lmao

everyone has different tastes. i can't relate to your tastes though, most of the animation styles in 90s animes feel too outdated and low quality for me. i can understand what you mean when it comes to character designs but the improvements in animation quality have been wild and i wouldn't want to give that up.

i personally just want more variety in anime art styles. i was over the moon watching the ping pong anime and other science saru animes this summer and afterwards i've been craving for more shows with their own artistic output.

• Like 1
  • Clown 1

5 minutes ago, Koya said:

I can't relate, I dislike most of 90's animes art style lmao. I prefer how animes look nowadays and I hate Jojo's artstyle

I think it depends a lot on the type of anime too, shojo boys are made to look like common flower boys, not too characterized so the viewers can identify themselves more to it, while in shonen characters have more physical features to them that often comes from what they lived etc, like typically Tanjiro from KNY with the scar and his hair that were cut. Also depends on where and when the anime takes place, if it's modern times they tend to be more "bland" bc yeah, that's how some randoms today would look lmao

"shojo boys are made to look like common flower boys, not too characterized so the viewers can identify themselves more to it"

I dont get this tho. the viewers are mostly female, so there should be at least some hot guys to look at. like in anime aimed at guys, for example harem, there are plenty of beautifully drawn girls for guys to look at, so I dont get why shojo anime doesnt get the same treatment. it is honestly why I never watch shoujo even if in theory it is aimed at me.

1 minute ago, Hyun-Sung-In said:

"shojo boys are made to look like common flower boys, not too characterized so the viewers can identify themselves more to it"

I dont get this tho. the viewers are mostly female, so there should be at least some hot guys to look at. like in anime aimed at guys, for example harem, there are plenty of beautifully drawn girls for guys to look at, so I dont get why shojo anime doesnt get the same treatment. it is honestly why I never watch shoujo even if in theory it is aimed at me.

if the boy looks too out of this world it'll be hard for girls viewers to identify themselves to the main characters relationship that's what i meant lmao

generic flower boy that can easily be identified to the high school crush works better than out of this world handsome man that would be too hard to relate to

Just now, Koya said:

if the boy looks too out of this world it'll be hard for girls viewers to identify themselves to the main characters relationship that's what i meant lmao

generic flower boy that can easily be identified to the high school crush works better than out of this world handsome man that would be too hard to relate to

ok, I see...but in that case does that mean that boys have no problem to identify themselves with someone who gets a whole harem of hot girls? strange.

Just now, Hyun-Sung-In said:

ok, I see...but in that case does that mean that boys have no problem to identify themselves with someone who gets a whole harem of hot girls? strange.

i'm not an expert but shojo are mostly about everyday lives, like a lot of shojos are slice of life animes, while shonen is more fantasy?

i feel like in shojo they try to be realistic, while in shonen it's often fantasy so it's other goals

i don't watch much shojo either bc it's not my cup of tea, but that's what i get from the ones i saw and what i know in general about this genre haha

No but i prefer old manga than the new one. 

The drawing of the old manga is just beautiful and so detailed 

do you mean art style or how everything that used to be cell animation is digitalized now?

there is something special about cell animation, backgrounds and facial expressions looked much better since it was all hand drawn

• Like 1

they were so unique 

now 90% are a replica of each other 

• Tea 2

22 minutes ago, echobunny said:

do you mean art style or how everything that used to be cell animation is digitalized now?

there is something special about cell animation, backgrounds and facial expressions looked much better since it was all hand drawn

I agree, cell animation looks better to me because you can see that there was a lot of work put into every picture. I would say it has more "soul".

but my complain is more about the style. like even in this era of digitalization it is possible to create anime in pretty art style, when people actually bother.

20rgrd0.jpg

Edited by Hyun-Sung-In

Eh, I enjoy some older anime art styles, such as Cardcaptor Sakura, but I don't really miss them. Well, I don't think I'm even old enough to miss them, ikutfd

I haven't watched much anime but those photos you showed in the OP look like they're straight out of a manga except for the last picture

Sorry but not for me, of course there are exceptions but I always hated pointy chin with a passion and it used to be the trend at some point in time. I don't really remember thinking "wow gorgeous" about a anime character while watching an old anime (well except if you count the original Saint Seiya, in which I could forgive the sometimes pointy chin because some guardians were so pretty/handsome)

I always loved smooth art so that may be another reason.