Forums Rules Staff Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
satoori

YG responds after coming under fire by the Korea Health & Medical Workers’ Union for “Lovesick Girls"

Of course they wanted her too look attractive. They weren't going to have her sitting there in scrubs and PPE but the scene to me looks more like a depiction of an old school mental institution rather than something sexy. 

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, clevercactus said:

If no one is that stupid and they all know how they actually dress, then no one should be that stupid either to know what their role actually is?! 

In what way is the extremely short scene of Jennie in a nurse costume confusing people on the real role of a nurse? 

Literature, movies, tv shows, music videos, paintings are all creative expressions. They can portray Evil nurses, hot priests, corrupt policeman, sexy teachers, murderous school students, scheming baby sitters....The moment you start banning a portrayal of someone just because someone dislikes them, the moment we become the arbiter of creative expressions. 

We all watch One flew over the cuckoo's nest and we all know that not all nurses are like Nurse Ratched. Should they edit all the scenes with Nurse Ratched in it? NO. 

The problem doesn't lie here. It should lie at the hospitals employing the nurses to provide them with fair wage and ample protection from any kind of harassment. 

I never said about knowing.  I said nurses don't want it portrayed any differently than it is. They have their reasons which you clearly don't understand. It's not about jennie in this short scene,  they've been protesting against it for longer.  Then why dismiss it bc your opinion is different? You think its okay to portray any profession as pleased for the sake of creativity but people of that profession might think differently.  Specially if they are from a different country than yours.  Being inconsiderate of their ethical values is like the whole western ideologies are better thing. 

Edited by StanSatan
  • Like 1
  • Clown 1

On 10/6/2020 at 2:42 AM, i2NE1 said:

I better see the same energy the next time a firefighter or a police officer is sexualized. 

if the workers and their unions have a problem and want to rise up, then we shall see.

however the current issue isn't about everyone in uniforms, it's about nurses [health in general]. nurses are the ones speaking out right now about themselves, and not trying to be the voice for other non-health professions.

On 10/8/2020 at 12:12 AM, StanSatan said:

I never said about knowing.  I said nurses don't want it portrayed any differently than it is. They have their reasons which you clearly don't understand. It's not about jennie in this short scene,  they've been protesting against it for longer.  Then why dismiss it bc your opinion is different? You think its okay to portray any profession as pleased for the sake of creativity but people of that profession might think differently.  Specially if they are from a different country than yours.  Being inconsiderate of their ethical values is like the whole western ideologies are better thing. 

We are free to voice different opinions. I'm not dismissing the nurses concern. I think it should be addressed the proper way, reform set up by the government or the hospital to provide better protection and improve their working conditions and pay. I know a lot of nurses are overworked and underpaid. I just think addressing their concern by editing out Jennie's nurse outfit is not going to do anything. 

Yes, for the sake of creativity, you should be able to portray anything in your creation (stories, movies, tv shows, music videos or painting). Are you trying to say that from now on, the only way anyone can write a story with nurses is ONLY if they are portrayed as the protagonist? 

Stories and movies are made up of characters with professions. Corrupt policeman, evil lawyers, conniving priests and sometimes a bank robber with a golden heart. Are you saying now that all these professions (eg policeman, lawyers and priests) should be portrayed in movies ONLY when they are good? And bank robbers can only be portrayed in movies ONLY when they are bad? 

Nothing is black and white in this world and it should be represented and celebrated that way. 

Also.. I'm NOT from a western country. 

• Like 1
  • Clown 1

Posted (edited)

I just find it interesting that the nurse outfit caused a shitstorm but no one pays any mind to her portraying a crazy person in the same scene, the entirety of which is a typical gothic asylum trope straight out of the horror genre. That ain't a doctor's office. Evidently dressing as a nurse is a big no-no but mental patient cosplays are just dandy. 🤔 And they've now doubled down on it by removing the nurse. 

Edited by Jikrytae

5 hours ago, clevercactus said:

We are free to voice different opinions. I'm not dismissing the nurses concern. I think it should be addressed the proper way, reform set up by the government or the hospital to provide better protection and improve their working conditions and pay. I know a lot of nurses are overworked and underpaid. I just think addressing their concern by editing out Jennie's nurse outfit is not going to do anything. 

Yes, for the sake of creativity, you should be able to portray anything in your creation (stories, movies, tv shows, music videos or painting). Are you trying to say that from now on, the only way anyone can write a story with nurses is ONLY if they are portrayed as the protagonist? 

Stories and movies are made up of characters with professions. Corrupt policeman, evil lawyers, conniving priests and sometimes a bank robber with a golden heart. Are you saying now that all these professions (eg policeman, lawyers and priests) should be portrayed in movies ONLY when they are good? And bank robbers can only be portrayed in movies ONLY when they are bad? 

Nothing is black and white in this world and it should be represented and celebrated that way. 

Also.. I'm NOT from a western country. 

The way you're connecting an issue about uniform to protagonist and antagonist lmao. What does a person being good or bad have to do with this exactly?

But to get the point across: I could make up some things about the Chinese culture if I want and call it a fairytale. Or I could portray a Punjabi guy as a caricature-ish character.  But the problem is when they are frequently portrayed that way (black and white isn't it). Now if that community feels uncomfortable and wants it to stop as a whole, even if someone else says they'll make better portrayals alongside those,  it doesn't serve their purpose. Because they will still find those representations inaccurate or stereotypical. If nurses want all video clips misrepresenting their uniform removed, whether it be in nth room or a music video, its what they find comfort in. It's just one step towards removing these widely available content which discomforts them.  Ofc this mv clip was not sexual imo,  but they seem to want to set an example. 

Just like how 'freedom of speech', doesn't mean people should be free to disrespect, bully, or lie to anyone,  peole may want a boundary in freedom of creativity. The idea that creativity should have no boundary is in fact a westernized thought,  recently being questioned.  Im a film student and the first thing we're taught is to research the culture or community we're representing,  as many find offense in inaccurate representation. Nothing to do with a character being good or bad. 

Never assumed you were western.  It was a comparison, as many on the internet are evidently westernized and believe traditional methods to always be ineffective.  

• Like 3

I can understand it if korean nurses are often subject to sexual harassment. They’d probably be sick of being popularized as sexual beings in the media because it has real life consequences. Honestly don’t think we should be giving our opinions if we don’t know what the working climate is like for nurses in Korea. It’s a very misogynistic country, after all. I wouldn’t put it above Korean men to grope and leer at them.

• Tea 1

Posted (edited)

I would be pissed to see this addressed on the level of a damn worker union if I were BP tbh. It's not a documentary or drama or anything that claims to portray reality, it's a music video with its artistic vision and what not. The usage of profession was in context, it wasn't some random "slutty nurse" moment and the outfit itself was tame. Nobody expects scrubs, ppe, sneakers&crocs, shit-wage, shit-hours reality for stylized metaphorical moment in some mv and no sane patient would treat their medical professionals any different cause they saw Jennie from BP wear heels with her nurse coat.

I mean good pr moment to raise awareness it may be but for me it feels like the backlash was not deserved here. 

Edited by sasha
  • Like 1

On 10/9/2020 at 7:12 PM, StanSatan said:

The way you're connecting an issue about uniform to protagonist and antagonist lmao. What does a person being good or bad have to do with this exactly?

But to get the point across: I could make up some things about the Chinese culture if I want and call it a fairytale. Or I could portray a Punjabi guy as a caricature-ish character.  But the problem is when they are frequently portrayed that way (black and white isn't it). Now if that community feels uncomfortable and wants it to stop as a whole, even if someone else says they'll make better portrayals alongside those,  it doesn't serve their purpose. Because they will still find those representations inaccurate or stereotypical. If nurses want all video clips misrepresenting their uniform removed, whether it be in nth room or a music video, its what they find comfort in. It's just one step towards removing these widely available content which discomforts them.  Ofc this mv clip was not sexual imo,  but they seem to want to set an example. 

Just like how 'freedom of speech', doesn't mean people should be free to disrespect, bully, or lie to anyone,  peole may want a boundary in freedom of creativity. The idea that creativity should have no boundary is in fact a westernized thought,  recently being questioned.  Im a film student and the first thing we're taught is to research the culture or community we're representing,  as many find offense in inaccurate representation. Nothing to do with a character being good or bad. 

Never assumed you were western.  It was a comparison, as many on the internet are evidently westernized and believe traditional methods to always be ineffective.  

This is why I'm connecting the issue of uniform to characters being portrayed as protagonist antagonist:

The nurses want to be represented accurately. What does "accurate representation" here means? Does it mean that every time a nurse is portrayed on screen (regardless of whether its a documentary/film/anime/music video) they have to make sure the nurses are wearing proper outfit and make sure the nurses aren't sexualised? This two requirements alone limit whatever character they will want the nurse to portray. If someone wants to portray a lazy nurse, they may want to show that visually through unkempt/wrong uniform, if someone wants to portray a badly behaved nurse in an alternate universe, they might have to modify the uniform and make it more revealing. 

On a side note, what constitutes proper nurse attire? One can argue that what jennie wore in the MV is similar to what American nurses wore in the 50s. Does that mean every time a nurse is portrayed, they can only wear what the current nurses are wearing? Regardless of what kind of setting? Does that mean every time a nurse is portrayed in Korea they can ONLY wear Korean nurses attire and not American ones? How can you get a consensus of what is a proper nurse attire to avoid being banned/censored? This is the kind of ridiculous discussion that happen when you start limiting. 

Likewise, I work in the film industry, and I completely agree that we have to do more research on the culture or community we are portraying in the movie. Accurately representing someone's race and accurately representing their culture and tradition. But in my opinion, it shouldn't limit the 'character' of that person. You can have pious Chinese character and you can also have a Chinese character who may be more sexual. 

And if you think this clip of jennie in the nurse outfit isn't sexual, then why the heck do you agree with it being cut? This sets an awfully bad precedent. What if Lawyers start protesting because they have had enough with them being portrayed as liars? Or teachers start protesting because they continually being portrayed as rigid, or politicians start protesting because they're always painted as corrupt. The danger of starting to limit/ban/cut/edit out/censor scenes on the ground that it doesn't satisfy a certain group's wish of 100% accurate representation means we are closer and closer to a narrower scope of artistic freedom. 

In the 20s a certain group was responsible in censoring and banning art on the grounds that it insulted their nation, maybe you've heard of it.... "Degenerate Art"? Before you come at me for using such a drastic example, I'm not likening the nurses cause to this horrible criminal group but this is what the future holds the more you censor and ban things because it its an "insult" to a specific group or does not fit someone's moral values.

just because you don't agree with a view/movie/expression/art, does not mean that needs to be censored/banned. If there's a movie portraying a punjabi as caricaturish, I won't watch it, I won't give my money to the movie producers and promote this stereotyping. But I wont call for that movie to be banned. Because when you start banning that movie, what other movies that falls under the "Portraying the character as a caricature" will be banned? What if there's a movie where the Punjabi guy has a dialogue where he has to speak in a caricature to make his point across but the rest of the movie doesn't portray him in a caricaturish way? Does that fall within the ban? What it's a satire where the Punjabi character has to be portrayed in a caricature way to mock the way people are portraying a Punjabi character as a caricature? Do we BAN all these? 

And just to be clear nth room does not fall within my purview of discussion as it is NOT a work of art.

On 10/5/2020 at 11:06 PM, JNT-LEGGO said:

Are y'all seriously about to have me defending YG right now?

This is like textbook example of looking for something to be offended about.

funny how you can see 2000 korean girls dressed up as sexy nurses on halloween , hypocrisy at its finest