Forums Rules Staff Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
satoori

UK's first socially distanced concert shows what the future of live music might look like

would you attend a concert like this?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. would you attend a concert like this?

• yes
    • no
    • maybe

spacer.png

[Variety] U.K. Opens First Socially Distanced Venue, Seating 2,500 on 500 Spaced-Out Viewing Platforms

Spoiler

U.K. Opens First Socially Distanced Venue, Seating 2,500 on 500 Spaced-Out Viewing Platforms

The first official socially distanced venue to open in the U.K. since the pandemic began held its first concert Tuesday night, with 2,500 fans gathering on 500 separate elevated platforms placed on a racing track field.

Sam Fender headlined the first of two sold-out shows at what has been dubbed the Virgin Money Unity Arena, a pop-up amphitheater on the grounds of Gosforth Park in Newcastle upon Tyne, England. Each of the pens, spaced two meters apart, held a maximum of five people each.

Patrons were asked to wear masks and not intermingle between sections, with a high compliance rate seen in photos that showed wide open spaces between the individual areas.

“I will miss the mosh pits,” Fender said in an interview with the BBC before the show, “but they will come. They’ll eventually come back when we’re allowed to do it again. … I think it’s fantastic that our region is going to lead the way on this, and we’ll be the trailblazers for something that will hopefully continue on through the rest of the pandemic. … It’s not going to be the same as a gig you would normally have, but we’ve got to do what we can do.”

Fender topped the U.K. charts with his debut album in 2018 and the Brits Critics’ Choice award.

Other gigs at the makeshift venue have been lined up with Van Morrison, Maximo Park and comedians Jimmy Carr and Bill Bailey.

The shows were hosted by SSD Concerts, whose Steve Davis said the platforms all offered “a great view of the stage.” Walking traffic to and from the loos was marked as one-way to avoid congestion or paths crossing, and food and beverages were ordered remotely and delivered to the platforms.

Jealousy from American music fans actually helped the Hollywood Bowl to trend in the wake of news about the U.K. show, as some compared the platforms set up in Newcastle to the boxed seats at the Bowl. In practicality, though, selling only every-other-box at the Bowl, to maintain social distancing, and then leaving the bench seats fallow would probably not allow for cost-effective productions, even if Los Angeles were to allow it.

read full articlehttps://variety.com/2020/music/news/uk-opens-socially-distanced-venue-sam-fender-concert-1234733386/

[CNN] UK's first socially distanced concert shows what the future of live music might look like

Spoiler

UK's first socially distanced concert shows what the future of live music might look like

(CNN) — When the coronavirus pandemic emerged, the music and hospitality industry took a beating. Concerts and events were canceled all over the world as countries imposed lockdown restrictions and stay-at-home orders to curb the spread of the virus.
But as some nations start to ease restrictions, event organizers are figuring out how to restart the music industry and keep fans safe.

A new UK pop-up venue, the Virgin Money Unity Arena, is testing this out. Some 2,500 fans gathered at the outdoor venue Tuesday for what organizers described as the UK's first socially distanced concert.

Groups of up to five turned out to watch musician Sam Fender from one of 500 raised metal platforms at the the arena in Gosforth Park, Newcastle, northern England.
Several musicians and comedians -- including Van Morrison, Jimmy Carr and Bill Bailey -- will follow suit later in the year in a series of events.

Distancing is enforced on arrival. Cars are parked two meters apart before patrons are guided to their own platformed private viewing areas, while food and drink can be ordered beforehand or via an app for collection or delivery.
Helen Page, group brand and marketing director at Virgin Money, commented: "We are delighted to play a part in bringing back live music events as we start to emerge from lockdown," according to PA Media news agency.
"This feels like a unique opportunity to celebrate music and all the wonderful emotions that come with experiencing it live alongside other music fans," she added.
Concerts and nightlife that we were used to before the pandemic could still be a long way off.
In the meantime, some organizers are experimenting with virtual events, drive through concerts, mandated personal protective equipment, or temperature checks on arrival.
Meanwhile, some partygoers are opting for illegal raves, with some events attracting thousands of people.
sourcehttps://www.cnn.com/travel/article/social-distanced-music-festival-intl-scli-gbr/index.html

[Rolling Stone] See Footage from the World’s First Socially Distanced Arena’s Debut Show

Spoiler

See Footage from the World’s First Socially Distanced Arena’s Debut Show
The Virgin Money Unity Arena in Newcastle, England, hosted U.K. indie-rock act Sam Fender and took far more precautions than its U.S. counterparts

The Virgin Money Unity Arena in Newcastle, England, which bills itself as the world’s first socially distanced concert venue, on Tuesday kicked off the first of several concerts with a show by English indie-rock act Sam Fender, who played a set for a couple thousand fans spread out across the horse-track-turned-arena venue in their own socially distanced pods.

Regional promoter SSD Concerts had begun planning for these socially distanced shows in April and finally announced the concept in July, when it became clear the promoter could pull off the event. It’s one of several experiments the live-music industry has attempted to bring back live shows as the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic has brought the entire industry to a standstill. The concert series will feature a slate of well-known U.K. performers, including Van Morrison, the Libertines, and Two Door Cinema Club.

Fender, the first run at the experimental concept, jokingly described his view of the crowd from the stage as “looking like the biggest human cattle market on planet earth,” with the couple thousand fans in attendance all separated in their pen-like platform enclosures, but he got used to it quickly and said the show quickly felt closer to a more conventional concert.

“There were 2,500 people, they were engaged and singing back at me, there was plenty of alcohol flowing, this was a gig,” he tells Rolling Stone. “The fans were loud, I’m buzzing about it. The show seemed to run smoothly, and it seemed to be safe as far as Covid is concerned. I hope these can start happening all over the globe. I’d do a fucking residency at it if I could.”

The show isn’t a total replacement for the live experience. As Fender says, he misses the mosh pits and hearing about his overzealous fans getting bloody noses. And from a financial perspective, with only 2,500 fans at a giant venue, he says it’s difficult to imagine this becoming a financially viable option unless prices become exorbitantly high for fans. But as live shows have been otherwise off the table, this is a start. “Everyone needed that sonic communal experience, we’re all going crazy without it,” Fender says. “This was still a concert. I’d rather do that than nothing.”

read full articlehttps://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/sam-fender-first-socially-distanced-arena-1043405/

• LOL 1

That actually looks really nice, having your own space while enjoying a concert. 

• Like 4
  • Clown 1

I hate being in crowds so kinda yay but also I can't imagine getting the concert mood like this. Like everyone just sitting in their box, no dancing, jumping around and blowing your lungs off... 🤔

Also it reduces the venue capacity so much I feel like for small artists it might be hard to make profit with a venue like this.

• Like 1

for some concerts this would be amazing, like concerts where i just wanna vibe to the music and chill without being too close to the stage/seeing the artist up close

for kpop or hype band concerts this would suck

Posted (edited)

No. As much as it gives you space for you to enjoy the concert of your own, you'll definitely lose the vibe of enjoying the concert.

To me, I won't enjoy the concert fully. You'll hardly get pumped up or even join activity with the crowd. That distancing will put you way further from your artists on stage and it loses the purpose for me to "watch my fave up-close". I might enjoy the live sound still, but it won't let me enjoy the concert fully. I would rather pay lesser to watch live concert on stream. Unless the concert itself meant for chill session with jazz or sumn.

Edited by eunheart

3 minutes ago, StarShapedGummy said:

the platforms should get progressively taller as you go back.... sort of how stadium seating is... i guess it could be a problem if you start climbing ladders XD

the floor level of a stadium is usually leveled too(?)

rather then changing the audience, the stage is up high, so everyone is looking up

Spoiler

spacer.png

Such kind of venues are not really suited for KPop, which is to watch the perf, not listen to the music.

this looks really good tbh but maybe its because i really hate crowded places so having my own space like this is ideal to me

• Like 1

i heard company will just gonna use hologram for their artist so basically people still will not see their celeb even if they go to this kind of concert