Forums Rules Staff NEW Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
Sign in to follow this  
dream thief

Live Action remake of Mulan will be released on Disney+ in September

I don't care that you have to rent the movie for $30. I'm just happy to finally be able to watch this movie. I'll probably go watch it again in theaters if it still gets a theatrical release

spacer.png

what's the point of paying for disney+ monthly and then having to pay for a movie which should technically be free? 

• Tea 3

I was really expecting the remake but since they removed the lgbt+ plot, and the main actress said this gem: “I support Hong Kong’s police, you can beat me up now. What a shame for Hong Kong,”, all at China command (allegedly), and since people forget that the movie was being actively boicotted, well I hope it flops hard

• Like 2
  • Tea 1
  • Dislike 3

this definitely shocking news but only one that Disney could make, while a future VOD would just make it eaiser for a pirate like me to watch stuff I really enjoy the experience of movie theaters especially when going for something im guaranteed to love 

I watched it and it lacks the comedy part but overall it is good movie.

On 8/4/2020 at 8:33 PM, RiseLikeACrowTit said:

I was really expecting the remake but since they removed the lgbt+ plot, and the main actress said this gem: “I support Hong Kong’s police, you can beat me up now. What a shame for Hong Kong,”, all at China command (allegedly), and since people forget that the movie was being actively boicotted, well I hope it flops hard

as a HK chinese person myself, i dont understand why people are boycotting the movie. regardless of what the actors say, disney is an american corporation. how is boycotting a disney movie going to help??? i dont get it. what mulan actually is, is a beautiful representation of chinese culture and people. so when youre boycotting mulan, youre not "boycotting communism", youre boycotting a beautiful representation of my community. not just of mainland chinese people, but of the greater chinese diaspora as well (including many HK chinese people that worked on this movie too...). this whole "boycott mulan" thing to me, is just performative politics. and its not surprising to me that many people that are saying to boycott it, also have some racist or xenophobic remarks to say on the side.

On 9/6/2020 at 12:30 AM, jeong jaehyuns boyfriend said:

as a HK chinese person myself, i dont understand why people are boycotting the movie. regardless of what the actors say, disney is an american corporation. how is boycotting a disney movie going to help??? i dont get it. what mulan actually is, is a beautiful representation of chinese culture and people. so when youre boycotting mulan, youre not "boycotting communism", youre boycotting a beautiful representation of my community. not just of mainland chinese people, but of the greater chinese diaspora as well (including many HK chinese people that worked on this movie too...). this whole "boycott mulan" thing to me, is just performative politics. and its not surprising to me that many people that are saying to boycott it, also have some racist or xenophobic remarks to say on the side.

They're boycotting the lead actress, not Disney. Yes, Disney will lose money, but they don't care about that.

You also have to realize that when people find something to criticize about a political entity, they don't always make an effort to differentiate between a government and the nation they represent. A lot of people have a dislike for everything China at this point, even if the average citizen hasn't done anything. 

Edited by Jikrytae

7 hours ago, Jikrytae said:

They're boycotting the lead actress, not Disney. Yes, Disney will lose money, but they don't care about that.

You also have to realize that when people find something to criticize about a political entity, they don't always make an effort to differentiate between a government and the nation they represent. A lot of people have a dislike for everything China at this point, even if the average citizen hasn't done anything. 

That still doesn’t answer my question. How is boycotting the movie or Yifei going to help anything? How is that doing anything constructive? Let’s say nobody watches the movie and they make 0$. Is anything going to come out of that? Literally nothing would change and the situation would be the exact same as it is now, even if the movie flopped. 

But people are stupid and want to conflate the movie with their performative politics, and that’s the whole conversation right there. It’s literally just all performative and messy for no reason, all because these so called “protestors” have nothing better to do with their time. Again - by boycotting Mulan, they aren’t “helping democracy”, they’re just boycotting a positive representation of Chinese culture on the international stage. Mulan is one of my favourite childhood movies and as a queer Chinese boy from an immigrant family, I grew up idolizing her and being inspired by her. And this movie is also personal to me because it is a depiction of my culture and my community. This was supposed to be my “Black Panther” moment. I AM a HK Chinese person myself and I am telling you that I see nothing wrong with supporting the movie. If I’m not pressed, and if you aren’t Chinese or even Asian, why are you pressed?

And this situation is a lot more complex than just “police=bad”. But the protestors are gaslighting non-Chinese people to think that the situation in HK is similar to the US when it’s not. And I’m not going to go into all the details now, but just know that it’s not analogous or even comparable. I supported the protests in the beginning, but when they continued to tear up the city even after the extradition bill had already been withdrawn, I couldn’t co-sign the BS anymore. 

And re: your second point, if you can’t separate the people from the politics, that’s a logical fallacy and that’s the exact reason why I don’t take these keyboard warriors on Twitter seriously anymore, because they’re using their “politics” as an excuse to be racist.

ps. Sorry if I sound pointed, I’m not aiming all this at you by the way, I’m just speaking generally. And I’m just so frustrated at all the misinformation that’s going around. People’s ability to process information nowadays has become so pathetically superficial that all they need is a few headlines on Twitter and a few trending tweets to think they know all there is to know about a particular subject. When in reality, they’d need a lifetime of research to even BEGIN to understand the history and the nuance of the situation. 

Edited by jeong jaehyuns boyfriend