Forums Rules Staff NEW Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
Sign in to follow this  
choiyujins

Youtube getting rid of fan captioning SUCKS

Posted (edited)

from the perspective of kpop/korean content..this will hurt. we're one of the fandom cultures that probably use this feature the most.

the korean idol industry already was moving to vlive and other new platforms too tho

so i guess this could make even more do so

i believe vlive have the fan sub option still

Edited by satoori

2 hours ago, Doranira said:

There is no reasoning behind taking them down honestly. They claim that there has been incidents of spam, to which can be prevented by ways rather than removing the whole feature! I also find it difficult to believe their word that it is only being used 0.01% of the times 😑

A lot of people are enraged over this, there is a petition going on around twitter and last time times I checked it had 25K signs. 

What's even more frustrating is that they're not providing any alternative to this, removing this feature without a replacement or a "solution" is lame. As someone who has used this feature to translate into my own native language to help both my favorite creators reach a larger audience, and translate to fans who can only speak my language, it sucks. 

unpopular opinion: i wouldn't be surprise if that stat is true tho. 

also 25K is not a lot of people if we actually consider the amount of people using and watching youtube

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, choiyujins said:

if I'm not mistaken vlive relies solely on fansubs except for official vaap stuff so I would be very surprised if they ever took that feature away

i think the english is done by naver tho, well at least for bts. this is probably for some others groups too. 

however for less popular groups, yea it's probably as you said fansubs. naver simply don't have the manpower to sub every single video

4 hours ago, Doranira said:

And you’d also be surprised to know that a large number of youtubers have community caption feature on to help those with hearing disabilities apprehend the video content better. 
Big name youtubers have done this by letting other viewers transcript the video to provide better wording rather than depending on the inaccurate automatically generated subtitles. 
And as people mentioned above, it is used in A LOT of kpop contents where companies just won’t bother putting subtitles for international fans. And we’re talking about big groups like Monsta X and NU’EST. 

you’re also right, 25K signs is not a huge number 😞 It’s very sad because although people are against this change, the petition is struggling to get high numbers. <\3 

i wish even more people used that feature. it's a large number but it's not everyone.

also i agree kpop community relies heavily on it. but our fandom culture i a lot different then many. kpop/korean content also don't represent all of youtube's content.

Edited by satoori

Sign in to follow this