Forums Rules Staff Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
Sign in to follow this  
hynapia

Best selling debut albums in Gaon

I guess it's overall sales and not just the sales from the debut year? Because BTS' debut album only sold around 30k in their debut year (2013).

Also, surprised there's 6 groups debuted this year that made it to the lists (3 bgs and 3 ggs) despite being a low year for rookies' sales in general.

• Like 2

Pristin in the top 10 and they got paid dust... never forgiving Pledis for that one

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

If these are overall sales Cravity is the only one that debuted in 2020, 3 MONTHS ago to be exact. and are already at #8 with almost 150k. WIG, true monster rookies

*Only one in top 10 i mean

Edited by Digiwon

Posted (edited)

EXO MAMA legendary debut

Good start Cravity

Edited by Drama Drama Drama

12 hours ago, WujuLike said:

Pristin in the top 10 and they got paid dust... never forgiving Pledis for that one

Pristin was super popular when they debuted. Even their song charted for nearly a month on melon and they looked like the most promising post-IOI gg. So I'll never understand why Pledis ruined them like that.

10 hours ago, Digiwon said:

If these are overall sales Cravity is the only one that debuted in 2020, 3 MONTHS ago to be exact. and are already at #8 with almost 150k. WIG, true monster rookies

*Only one in top 10 i mean

Yeah, plus one of the few groups that have sold over 100k at debut, because for example BTS started with just 30k at debut and those are the overall sales the album has now. Tbh I find kinda shocking that i-fans overlook Cravity and don't usually mention them as possible ROTY winners. They always mention Treasure or even MCND but so far Cravity is a wall compared to other male rookies this year, but i-fans aren't aware of their popularity in Korea.

• Like 1

The problem is that this ranking leaves out older groups. For example, HOT's debut album sold well over one million.

1 hour ago, wsoet said:

The problem is that this ranking leaves out older groups. For example, HOT's debut album sold well over one million.

Yeah, because Gaon was created in 2010 so groups that debuted before that aren't counted.

21 hours ago, hynapia said:

Yeah, because Gaon was created in 2010 so groups that debuted before that aren't counted.

Is there an equivalent to Gaon that was used back then?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, wsoet said:

Is there an equivalent to Gaon that was used back then?

No idea tbh but I guess there was other charts because for example groups that debuted before 2010 like DBSK, SuJu, Big Bang, SNSD, 2NE1, KARA, SHINee, etc have sold millions too and it's registered in sites like wikipedia.

Edited by hynapia

"In February 2011, it published information on both online and offline album sales of 2010, including a detailed breakdown of online chart data and was the first time since 2008 that offline album sales were released, since the Music Industry Association of Korea had stopped compiling data." (source)

So it was the MIAK that was the predecessor to Gaon.