Forums Rules Staff Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
Nunanuna

Best selling Girlgroups/Female soloists on Gaon in first half of 2020

Posted (edited)

EcifFTeXgAAdBp0?format=png

1. Izone

2. Twice

3. Loona

4. Gidle

5. Itzy

6. Moonbyul (Mamamoo)

7. Wjsn

8. Solar (Mamamoo)

9. Gfriend

10. Red velvet

11. Blackpink

12. Dreamcatcher

13. Taeyeon (Snsd)

14. IU

15. Mamamoo

16. Apink

17. Hwasa (Mamamoo)

18. Oh My Girl

19. Everglow

20. Baek Yerin

Edited by Lipin
  • Like 2

fuck yes LOONA world domination

so proud to see their numbers grow after all the shit that happened with XX bc of kakao m

• Like 2

Moonbyul's debut album slapped hard holy shit. Solar did amazing too. 

• Like 2

In all seriousness, its great to see a lot of girl groups sell decently -very well these days 

• Like 2

So who do we think will be #1 at the end of 2020? If Iz*One comes back again, I'm guessing it'll be them, otherwise Twice (since they'll likely have another comeback before the end of the year).

On 7/15/2020 at 10:56 PM, wsoet said:

So who do we think will be #1 at the end of 2020? If Iz*One comes back again, I'm guessing it'll be them, otherwise Twice (since they'll likely have another comeback before the end of the year).

It heavily depends on the number of release. Iz*one and Twice now have neck to neck sales number for each of their release, so whoever releases more til end of the year, they will take the top spot.

Posted (edited)

What I find kinda interesting is that nugu/rookie groups that can't even chart 500-1000 on melon like GWSN, Nature, Dreamnote, Bvndit, Secret Number, Weeekly, etc basically sell similarly to groups like April or Momoland that chart decently or had hits. It reminds me to a discussion about how nowadays many ggs follow the bg route of low/zero digital power but a decent fandom that supports them. Loona or Dreamcatcher are examples of this too even tho at least they chart decently (especially Loona), but it's impressive that their sales are on the same level or better than groups with public recognition and hit songs.

Edited by hynapia

16 hours ago, hynapia said:

What I find kinda interesting is that nugu/rookie groups that can't even chart 500-1000 on melon like GWSN, Nature, Dreamnote, Bvndit, Secret Number, Weeekly, etc basically sell similarly to groups like April or Momoland that chart decently or had hits. It reminds me to a discussion about how nowadays many ggs follow the bg route of low/zero digital power but a decent fandom that supports them. Loona or Dreamcatcher are examples of this too even tho at least they chart decently (especially Loona), but it's impressive that their sales are on the same level or better than groups with public recognition and hit songs.

Do you think that's due to these new girl groups specifically trying to cultivate a fandom, or is it reflective of the general growth of physical sales over the past few years?

1 hour ago, wsoet said:

Do you think that's due to these new girl groups specifically trying to cultivate a fandom, or is it reflective of the general growth of physical sales over the past few years?

Probably both, but many of these new ggs definitely don't have a public friendly sound like 2nd gen and 3rd gen ggs, plus the public has been kinda over idol groups in general in the last 2 years and they mostly listen to the same established groups (Twice, BP, Red Velvet, Mamamoo, A Pink, BTS, EXO, SVT, etc) instead of checking out new groups. In fact some of the groups that are rising lately like OMG and April actually debuted 5 years ago. The only exception of post-2018 ggs charting well are Izone, G-idle and ITZY and except G-idle the other two are from JYP and Produce so it's obvious they were gonna get more attention. I was mostly referring to groups like Dreamcatcher, Loona, Everglow, etc that don't chart or barely but still have pretty good sales and/or views thanks to their fandom. I guess post-2018 ggs are much more fandom-oriented (especially with the girl crush style and EDM music) but less public-oriented like 2nd/3rd gen groups.

19 minutes ago, hynapia said:

Probably both, but many of these new ggs definitely don't have a public friendly sound like 2nd gen and 3rd gen ggs, plus the public has been kinda over idol groups in general in the last 2 years and they mostly listen to the same established groups (Twice, BP, Red Velvet, Mamamoo, A Pink, BTS, EXO, SVT, etc) instead of checking out new groups. In fact some of the groups that are rising lately like OMG and April actually debuted 5 years ago. The only exception of post-2018 ggs charting well are Izone, G-idle and ITZY and except G-idle the other two are from JYP and Produce so it's obvious they were gonna get more attention. I was mostly referring to groups like Dreamcatcher, Loona, Everglow, etc that don't chart or barely but still have pretty good sales and/or views thanks to their fandom. I guess post-2018 ggs are much more fandom-oriented (especially with the girl crush style and EDM music) but less public-oriented like 2nd/3rd gen groups.

Perhaps another factor could simply be the overall growth of K-pop, especially in the international realm. That is, more K-pop fans around the world could allow for increased opportunity for development of "niche" fandoms.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, wsoet said:

Perhaps another factor could simply be the overall growth of K-pop, especially in the international realm. That is, more K-pop fans around the world could allow for increased opportunity for development of "niche" fandoms.

Yeah, that's definitely another factor, but like I said, at the same time that ggs have been selling more physically and gaining a bigger fandom, their digital power have been decreasing in Korea, at least that's what happens with post 2017/2018 groups. So it's both a combination of kpop getting bigger internationally (more physical sales and youtube views) but at the same time ggs (or idol groups in general) becoming less targeted to the Korean public. Very few groups debuted after 2017/2018 have actual hits or chart regularly well.

Edited by hynapia