Forums Rules Staff Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
Sign in to follow this  
hynapia

Best selling groups on Gaon by debut year

-Twice and Izone are the only girl groups but Twice has the 3rd more overall sales, only behind BTS and EXO

-BTS and EXO are the only ones that have surpassed 10-20M of sales

-Excluding Big3 and Produce groups, only Infinite, B1A4, BTS and TxT come from originally smaller companies

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Posted (edited)

I still remember how big Infinite were in Korea. B1A4 had so much potential too.

Bts is known as the group that basically broke the many of the final barriers. However around 2011-2012 was a really good year for non-big 3 groups too. Groups like Infinite, Beast, B1a4, and Teen Top broke some of the early barriers. But then Growl happen and EXO basically owned the idol boy group industry for the next few years. Exo also had an impact on the industry. e.g. the physical one!

Twice as expected, Queens

Izone congrats too. Tho the record will probably eventual be taken by another group(?). Out of the debuting groups that year Stray Kids probably has the biggest chance of grabbing it or Ateez.

Edited by satoori
  • Like 3

TXT's future is looking really bright, they've been grabbing more and more people's attention with each comeback. they'll break the 1M mark this year for sure

• Like 1

BTS is a wall.

Twice is amazing as well. 

Wanna One’s sales haven’t been topped yet, huh? Wonder how long it’ll take for them to be overtaken, or if they’ll be overtaken in the first place.

Wanna One legends

28 minutes ago, peachcream said:

Wanna One’s sales haven’t been topped yet, huh? Wonder how long it’ll take for them to be overtaken, or if they’ll be overtaken in the first place.

Wanna One legends

3.6 million will be very difficult to beat considering the most notable active groups from that debut year are A.C.E, dreamcatcher, golden child, highlight, kard, ONF, the boyz, and weki meki (rip pristin)

the boyz probably have the next best sales if we only count highlight’s post-rebranding albums; they’re just below 700k total for gaon atm

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, love said:

3.6 million will be very difficult to beat considering the most notable active groups from that debut year are A.C.E, dreamcatcher, golden child, highlight, kard, ONF, the boyz, and weki meki (rip pristin)

the boyz probably have the next best sales if we only count highlight’s post-rebranding albums; they’re just below 700k total for gaon atm

Yeah, I know. The boyz probably the biggest chances to beat them, their fanbase seems to be growing too, but their sales peaked at Bloom Bloom. Wonder if they’ll pick up.

2017 had a lot of potential, but the sales just aren’t there. Wanna One has more sales than NCT127 (as of now) and they’re extremely popular. Produce groups really on another level...

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, satoori said:

I still remember how big Infinite were in Korea. B1A4 had so much potential too.

Bts is known as the group that basically broke the many of the final barriers. However around 2011-2012 was a really good year for non-big 3 groups too. Groups like Infinite, Beast, B1a4, and Teen Top broke some of the early barriers. But then Growl happen and EXO basically owned the idol boy group industry for the next few years. Exo also had an impact on the industry. e.g. the physical one!

Twice as expected, Queens

Izone congrats too. Tho the record will probably eventual be taken by another group(?). Out of the debuting groups that year Stray Kids probably has the biggest chance of grabbing it or Ateez.

I wasn't into kpop yet when Infinite got big in Korea (around 2011-12?), but yeah, I've heard they were huge at their peak, especially around Be Mine and The Chaser eras. During 2nd gen there was actually more groups from non Big3 companies with big smash hits, while nowadays it can take years for many non big3 groups to get their name out there. For example OMG and April's success is very recent when in second gen many non Big3 groups had hits almost right away, like those bgs you mentioned or even ggs like 4minute, T-ara, Secret, Sistar, Girls Day, A Pink, etc

But like you said since 2013/14 the market started to be dominated mostly by Big3 again (EXO, RV, Twice, BP) so BTS' case was exceptional and impressive because before them non Big3 groups had never completely dominated in all or most areas (physical sales in particular used to be 100% dominated by SM groups before BTS).

As for Izone, I think they'll keep the record for 2018 groups at least until they disband. After then the second best selling 2018 groups are SKZ and ATEEZ indeed, so one of those two will eventually surpass Izone's sales I guess.

Edited by hynapia
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, love said:

Yeah, if we don't count NU'EST W that was only a subunit and doesn't exist anymore since NU'EST is complete, the second would be TBZ but I doubt they reach 3.6M any time soon if at all.

I think both ACE and ONF are gonna hit 100k with their next comebacks, but in general 2017 groups minus the top 3 have pretty low sales compared to other years. I'm shocked at how low KARD's sales are when KARD is pretty popular at least internationally.

31 minutes ago, peachcream said:

Yeah, I know. The boyz probably the biggest chances to beat them, their fanbase seems to be growing too, but their sales peaked at Bloom Bloom. Wonder if they’ll pick up.

2017 had a lot of potential, but the sales just aren’t there. Wanna One has more sales than NCT127 (as of now) and they’re extremely popular. Produce groups really on another level...

I was actually surprised at that because I thought NCT 127 had much more sales, but they've only really started to sell big amounts this year so it kinda makes sense I guess. Wanna One on the other hand literally sold 800k of their debut album alone. If they had been a permanent group they could've sold +10M in a few years for sure.

26 minutes ago, hynapia said:

I'm shocked at how low KARD's sales are when KARD is pretty popular at least internationally.

It feels like KARD has been getting more fans, but their sales say otherwise. Their latest albums didn't have half of the sales their debut albums had. I definitely thought they had more. It feels like Minzy's first day sales, everyone expected the numbers to be high and was convinced the artists will sell well, but they just don't.

14 minutes ago, hynapia said:

I wasn't into kpop yet when Infinite got big in Korea (around 2011-12?), but yeah, I've heard they were huge at their peak, especially around Be Mine and The Chaser eras. During 2nd gen there was actually more groups from non Big3 companies with big smash hits, while nowadays it can take years for many non big3 groups to get their name out there. For example OMG and April's success is very recent when in second gen many non Big3 groups had hits almost right away, like those bgs you mentioned or even ggs like 4minute, T-ara, Secret, Sistar, Girls Day, A Pink, etc

But like you said since 2013/14 the market started to be dominated mostly by Big3 again (EXO, RV, Twice, BP) so BTS' case was exceptional and impressive because before them non Big3 groups had never completely dominated in all or most areas (physical sales in particular used to be 100% dominated by SM groups before BTS).

As for Izone, I think they'll keep the record for 2018 groups at least until they disband. After then the second best selling 2018 groups are SKZ and ATEEZ indeed, so one of those two will eventually surpass Izone's sales I guess.

I wasn't a hardcore stan of Infinite but I knew about them because I was huge fan of Apink.  And for some reason people use to ship APink with every boy group back then. They had so many dating rumors. Also in general it was hard not to know about Infinite and some of their popular songs because they were everywhere. 

Agree with everything else! 

1 hour ago, peachcream said:

It feels like KARD has been getting more fans, but their sales say otherwise. Their latest albums didn't have half of the sales their debut albums had. I definitely thought they had more. It feels like Minzy's first day sales, everyone expected the numbers to be high and was convinced the artists will sell well, but they just don't.

Maybe they just have a lot of casual fans but not really invested fans that buy their albums? That's the case with a lot of groups. People like their songs and their style but mostly stream their songs in youtube or spotify instead of actually buying albums idk. A recent case is secret number, they have like +20M of views but their sales are really low.

38 minutes ago, hynapia said:

Maybe they just have a lot of casual fans but not really invested fans that buy their albums? That's the case with a lot of groups. People like their songs and their style but mostly stream their songs in youtube or spotify instead of actually buying albums idk. A recent case is secret number, they have like +20M of views but their sales are really low.

Do you know how many album sales have Secret Number or Nature or another rising nugu comebacks? If you find sales make a post.pls

15 minutes ago, Drama Drama Drama said:

Do you know how many album sales have Secret Number or Nature or another rising nugu comebacks? If you find sales make a post.pls

Nature so far has 30k copies sold on Gaon, which it's not bad because their company is basically nugu. TOO (from the same company) has in a few months the same that they have in 2 years but TOO had the RTK boost + their survival show previously.

As for Secret Number their debut album has sold over 4k so far, which it's not bad but I find it low considering how popular they are especially internationally.

• Like 1

2018 was a really solid year. i'm not too familiar with boygroups, but for girlgroups after izone we have gidle (241k), loona (187k, 392k if you consider their entire discography) and fromis (140k). last year we only had (decent) physicals from itzy and this year no one so far. if you put them in comparison with 2019 and 2020 rookies, fromis and loona are underestimated forces

12 hours ago, munyuna said:

2018 was a really solid year. i'm not too familiar with boygroups, but for girlgroups after izone we have gidle (241k), loona (187k, 392k if you consider their entire discography) and fromis (140k). last year we only had (decent) physicals from itzy and this year no one so far. if you put them in comparison with 2019 and 2020 rookies, fromis and loona are underestimated forces

Yeah, they definitely are, and they managed to gain a solid fandom without a hit song or coming from big companies (I know fromis is from a survival show but not a very popular one so...).

On 7/13/2020 at 5:12 AM, hynapia said:

I wasn't into kpop yet when Infinite got big in Korea (around 2011-12?), but yeah, I've heard they were huge at their peak, especially around Be Mine and The Chaser eras

Infinite were big during 2011-2013 that there was a phrase "It's not which group do you like but which INFINITE MEMBER do you like" they have hit songs including their subunit Infinite H. They actually sold out concert and showcase tickets outside seoul