Forums Rules Staff NEW Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
Sign in to follow this  
Haze

How do you deal with racist family members?

I’m past the point of reasoning with them and avoid family gatherings all together now but things get a lot more complicated and difficult when it’s your parents as well. Like a part of you just dies inside.

spacer.png

But anyway, how are you guys fairing with this stuff on your end?

At first I try to educate them, but when I realize it's a hopeless case, I just stop caring about them (happily never had to deal with this situation with my close family)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

being a daughter of immigrants, my parents tend to have negative opinions on homosexuals and jew. They keep their opinions to themselves/ to family and arent the type to say something to someones face directly. But me and my siblings correct them whenever they make comments and point out the irony, when they are immigrant and know how ignorant and racist other people can be to us.

I guess in their eyes its more of a religious thing and they arent being aggressive. all you can do is correct them and make it clear its never okay to harass/treat  someone different etc.

Daryl Davis is a African american who befriended KKK members, convincing some to leave. I recommend watching Joe rogans interview with him

Edited by HRH Ayyu
  • Like 1

tbh never dealt with that it's easy to just ignore their existence if they're not parents but tbh I dont know what to do if  they're my parents ofc I will talk alot with them about it and keep trying to educate them... but gladly my parents Job at first place to educate people about those things xd 

My grandmother and aunt on my mum's side of the family are racist and I'm only half white so I feel like they lowkey hate me and don't see me as a real member of the family because I'm not white enough for them. Honestly I just avoid interacting with them at all. If I have to see them I just reply to them when they speak to me, but I don't bother starting conversations with them.

Posted (edited)

at some point, you just have to get up and go "I'm done dealing with your bullshit". yeah, they're you're family (blood or not), but as Tarted mentioned above, most racist family members are a hopeless cause as they might take you as a joke or generally are part of the older generation.

for me, I'm still forced to go to family gatherings with my parents. the amount of racist and homophobic "jokes" that go on during these events are unreal and if you dare call them out on their ignorance, they feel attacked. I wish older people would realize that if you really love someone, you'll be willing to come forward and educate them on certain things.

so personally, it doesn't hurt to call them out, but just don't be surprised if they don't listen because that's likely what'll happen. no matter how many times I call my dad out for being a sexist, racist piece of crap who somehow pulled my amazing mom (who is black), he continues to spew his ignorance.

Edited by lialea

Coming  parents who are immigrants, it's never easy to deal with their racist comments. I try to educate them but they don't really understand? But at times, I ask them to sympathize with some of the people who are going through racism, and put them in their shoes. This kinds of make them understand the idea of racism a bit more, but not 100%.