OneHallyu

The Official Thread of ♛ KINGDOM ♛ Premiering April 1st!

I was kinda not expecting it to be today I guess I missed the voting but whatever, let me get my impressions

Skz - Uneventful, and what tf is that tragic lightning. I like Hyunjin part with the knife actually. Think it would have made more impact on a different choreo that had a better progression. It was just jumping here and there I mean they did show they were athletic so I guess there is that. I know they have potential to do better then that.

Tbz - I like it but it's worst then the rtk introduction. Maybe cause i'm a deobi I actually pick up their references. They started with Reveal, then at some point went tattoo... Quasi una fantasia at the end as well. I like that, and they didn't even really continue the story with the crown, which I kinda hoped they wouldn't cause it was getting old at this point. However, the lightning still a mess, can't see shit. The ending is weird. The choreo progression overall is not it. Also at some key point they weren't in synch, which is really something that unnerve me. 

Ateez - I actually like this remix a lot wow it snaps, and Wooyoung center is divine. but it was super simple. Didn't even realize it was 1:30 cause I felt like they danced for 20sec.. Remind me of Pentagon introduction were they basically did nothing diogudfoig. I like the energy, but it felt kinda like the style STZ went, but simpler. Thinking maybe it's the long ass bridge who keep changing the camera over and over who make it feels like the segment is really short cause it's just this the changing camera and the chorus basically. Not fond of this dancing style either, but I think it fits what they went for on mama so maybe they are going to be themed?

Ikon - yasss they bring on this old bop I loved from went they debuted. I used to dance a lot on it and it makes me like in a good mood idk how to explain it. Also yes, they had the most atmospheric introduction. Maybe the change of lightning did something (still tragic, but in reeeed), also the way it was filmed was better. The choreo was simple, and they didn't really sing that much either, but I felt like it did the best job for an ''introduction'' like I felt like the style was screaming Ikon.

BTOB - Not my style definitely. It was kinda boring me (I'm usually not much of a ballad person). I appreciate however how different and clear it is. We can actually see something (bless) and hear them well. They also did good at representing them. I think they have the most potential to be the favourites of the show, at least in Korea.

SF9 -  Also another one with lightning on the ''better'' side. That remix was cute, but it felt out of place a little with how they danced on it (on the first part), the second part was much better and fit more the style they had. My thing is, it didn't really felt like it showed the group, it reminded me more of the type of introduction other groups did on RTK. 

Overall... very hard to make a ranking atm. I'm very disappointed with the introductions. I really hope the show will get better as we go. I think..

Ikon > BTOB = TBZ > SF9 = Ateez > SKZ

Edited by Bel.
  • Like 2
  • Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All their points be like

Kingdom (킹덤) is a reality survival show that will be broadcast by MNET.  It is slated to premiere sometime early 2021. Following the 2020 survival show Road to Kingdom, 1-2 teams from the previou

We get to see the introduction stage in 6 days???  

5 minutes ago, Bel. said:

I was kinda not expecting it to be today I guess I missed the voting but whatever, let me get my impressions

Stz - Uneventful, and what tf is that tragic lightning. I like Hyunjin part with the knife actually. Think it would have made more impact on a different choreo that had a better progression. It was just jumping here and there I mean they did show they were athletic so I guess there is that. I know they have potential to do better then that.

Tbz - I like it but it's worst then the rtk introduction. Maybe cause i'm a deobi I actually pick up their references. They started with Reveal, then at some point went tattoo... Quasi una fantasia at the end as well. I like that, and they didn't even really continue the story with the crown, which I kinda hoped they wouldn't cause it was getting old at this point. However, the lightning still a mess, can't see shit. The ending is weird. The choreo progression overall is not it. Also at some key point they weren't in synch, which is really something that unnerve me. 

Ateez - I actually like this remix a lot wow it snaps, and Wooyoung center is divine. but it was super simple. Didn't even realize it was 1:30 cause I felt like they danced for 20sec.. Remind me of Pentagon introduction were they basically did nothing diogudfoig. I like the energy, but it felt kinda like the style STZ went, but simpler. Thinking maybe it's the long ass bridge who keep changing the camera over and over who make it feels like the segment is really short cause it's just this the changing camera and the chorus basically. Not fond of this dancing style either, but I think it fits what they went for on mama so maybe they are going to be themed?

Ikon - yasss they bring on this old bop I loved from went they debuted. I used to dance a lot on it and it makes me like in a good mood idk how to explain it. Also yes, they had the most atmospheric introduction. Maybe the change of lightning did something (still tragic, but in reeeed), also the way it was filmed was better. The choreo was simple, and they didn't really sing that much either, but I felt like it did the best job for an ''introduction'' like I felt like the style was screaming Ikon.

BTOB - Not my style definitely. It was kinda boring me (I'm usually not much of a ballad person). I appreciate however how different and clear it is. We can actually see something (bless) and hear them well. They also did good at representing them. I think they have the most potential to be the favourites of the show, at least in Korea.

SF9 -  Also another one with lightning on the ''better'' side. That remix was cute, but it felt out of place a little with how they danced on it (on the first part), the second part was much better and fit more the style they had. My thing is, it didn't really felt like it showed the group, it reminded me more of the type of introduction other groups did on RTK. 

Overall... very hard to make a ranking atm. I'm very disappointed with the introductions. I really hope the show will get better as we go. I think..

Ikon > BTOB = TBZ > SF9 = Ateez > STZ

I’m glad I’m not the only one bugged by the lighting.  I could hardly see what was going on through SKZ performance but maybe my eyes are just getting old.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, sergel said:

I’m glad I’m not the only one bugged by the lighting.  I could hardly see what was going on through SKZ performance but maybe my eyes are just getting old.

Yeah I guess since it was a one-take, there is a lot of things they just couldn't fix and that is also part of why we got shitty lightning for everyone who had ''darker'' perfs. I would have expected mnet to do more editing tho

19 hours ago, Oodles said:

BTOB performance was quite boring. Great vocals of course but this is a performance show I need more energy. 

Performance doesn't always have to equal powerful dances lol. 

BTOB did great and were very fresh amongst the groups that most had the very similar concept of "tough-powerful-war like", which honestly is very boring and predictable. 

• Tea 1

Long ass post incoming from your usual jobless poster with an in-depth analysis of every stage

So I woke up early to watch the intros, like 10am

I wanted to share my thoughts on them once the episode aired in April, when we could see their process and what they were *trying to accomplish but uhh no point in doing that, if I only understand their performance after it's explained to me then that was not very well executed IMO

I'll start to say that after the stream I decided to rewatch the intros from road to kingdom and as expected the ones from yesterday were a lot better, at least for me. I liked them all and being familiar will all the groups present, I know that what they performed was the tip of the iceberg of what they are capable of. In RtK the majority of groups danced to random instrumentals to show off their skills (dancing skills mostly). Meanwhile here all groups performed their own songs, in a way to show off who they are as well.

For an ~intro~ i'm pleased

I will now describe my perpective and my thoughts on what they were going for kek, following the order of performances

ATEEZ 

Ateez' performance caught me off guard, MNET barely said anything the whole stream and I wasn't expecting them to perform so soon oof, scared me a little. 

We see a pirate boat right in the beginning, as expected of our pirates duh. They look as if they're exhausted, like they have been lost on the sea for 28 years and are about to give up. They sleep for 2sec, did they give up? No! Hongjoong, our head pirate in the house, gets a Hakuna Matata moment and wakes up all fired up, as well as the rest of his crew. There's a sea storm going on, the waves are very violent in the background and the light flashes from the stage mimic the thunder. 

Music starts - as an open Wave hater I'm glad they changed the arrangement, it felt very fresh and epic. The lyrics talk about being on the ocean, just wandering around and not knowing where to go. They should throw away all the hesitation because they will carry on until they reach the "hot sun". The path seems hard, they're not completely sure of what road to take and there's obstacles coming their way, yet they must remain positive because everything will turn out well if they're together. The dance is energetic to fire up the viewer as they fire up their own spirits, like they're getting ready to fight.

San grabs the torch and heads towards his team and we see the storm calm down. Cute.

We hope you sail and don't drown like titanic in this competition.

BTOB

I don't have a lot to say for Btob's performance, they did what they're famous for and it worked. They're by far the best vocal line on the show and one of the best in kpop so why even have these hags dance? Although I'm not the biggest fan of ballads, they knew who they were competing against and what type of performances they would show so they went in the opposite direction kek, i'm glad they're on the show. They're also the most popular group with the public so there wasn't really a point in going all out for an introduction stage when there's no introduction needed. It was pretty much the ballad/choir version of one on their songs sooo yeah, nothing else to add here. Cute.

We hope your rankings are as high as your notes, with no strain.

SF9

SF9 is the group i'm the least familiar with, ngl. Even then, I don't think they have a narrative going on with this performance, therefore I don't have a lot to write kek. When Inseong turns down that SF9 crystal thing the stage fills with water, or some blue magic that spreads all over the stage. Taeyang leads the boys, points at Hwiyoung and the performance starts. They first show off their dancing with a remix, it gets a bit dark and then they perform good guy, their most successful song. It may pale compared to the other performances considering that there was no ~message like genZ and the performance style wasn't super unique like btob but overall it was a solid stage for itself. Just because that kid in the class wrote a full thesis on a random text doesn't mean that you messed up the assignment. Same thing here, they did well. Cute.

We hope that you don't show that you're good guys, but amazing guys at performing.

THE BOYZ

First impression, I found The Boyz' Road the Kingdom intro overall more entertaining. After watching and comparing both of them, however, I'm not mad about this one. The boyz showed us what they are capable of there and the stakes are very high, but we gotta be realistic and admit that it's gonna be very hard to top all of their previous performances, especially considering that they truly gave their all and there's a limit on how much you can improve in a year or so. I also feel that their approach to the performances will be different now.

It starts with juyeon chillin' on his knees. Haknyeon then diabolically whispers a line from The Stealer "Is it an addiction? You're not an easy mission", then they all fall. With these survival shows they have been on, you'd wonder if it's an addiction indeed. Another segment of the song starts playing and they get up again, starting the dance sequence. That singular line from the song gets repeated again and the music calms down, with Sunwoo's rap. The translation of Sunwoo's rap is apparently "Two wars and a win/ The time of crisis and chaos approaching us again without falling apart at the movements of the ones already shaken/ We clash the inevitable tomorrow that makes us into enemies lies inside the battlefield/ I feel the adversity". Something like that. They're basically announcing that war is coming. They have 2 hands mimicking conflict like an anime opening in front of the camera, by his sides. Sunwoo cites Game of Thrones in the end with the line "Winter is coming" right before The Stealer kicks in. I don't think I need to comment this part. 

Next we have the piano song juyeon danced to on the MAMA teaser for Kingdom along with genZ, while on the floor of the stage we see beautiful flowers blooming. They lift Juyeon and one of the most beautiful shots of the night happens - when we see him falling. The stage wall in that moment had a yellow light, like the sun, on his back. Right when the ahjussi zooms out and we see the whole stage, it's as if the sky got covered by clouds. Ugh what a great shot. I think this segment represents their victory on RtK: how they had their moment of glory (sun), but now another battle is facing them (clouds). The flowers represent their growth. They help Juyeon out (poor thing wouldn't fall on the floor pfft), everyone gets down. Then they get up again, ready to fight for the crown. Cute.

Unlike @Bel. I didn't really catch any reference to the past stages euwifwfjk but this was just how I interpretated the stage afterall

We hope you show us the road to slay kingdom, with emphasis on slay.

STRAY KIDS

Mnet's light bill must be high so they turned off the lights for this stage kek

From the nature/animal sounds and the trees on the stage we can see that they're in a jungle, with quiet voices saying "higher". Hyunjin is alone in the dark on his knees, covering his eyes; as hyunjin is looking up, the camera goes up to the ceiling along with the ~higher~ lyrics, that started on whispers and are turning into loud chants. When the camera goes down again the 8 members magically appear and we hear a growl. Everything goes dark for a bit and we can only see green glowing eyes, resembling hunters looking for their preys in a dark night in a jungle. Some big stray cats found their dinner and they're going for the kill, going around the stage, trying to corner the viewer in every direction the camera points at, using the seats as if they're using the environment of the jungle (trees, rocks) . I feel very attacked. Seems like they're gonna eat up the competition, literally.

The dance segment was representing the hunting ritual i guess, jumping around in groups in different directions, with knifes and martial artsy movements. By this time the song Miroh starts. The lyrics are about surviving in a rough environment, a "jungle" as the lyrics say. It's tough but they were the ones who chose to follow that path, so it's okay, they will go beyond what they may encounter, with confidence in themselves. They will go up.

Changbin clears the scene, with the fire thing. The hunt is over. Let's call the kids cuz it's meal time. After the meal, Chan puts the stage on fire, literally. Hunt is over, let's go to the cave, furries

We hope you share that meal with us, without leaving us wanting for more.

IKON

The stage has a glitch and the lighting goes red. They start off by saying Ikon is back. I felt that. They were live, right on my screen, after quite a long time. They start with some hip hop dance routine, not a lot to say here. They dropped the intensity, got a nice hip hop remix of Rhythm Ta and finished with the song by itself. The stage was all white, with the words "Ikon is back" written. I felt that. No complaints here since it's a major bop. Overall my favorite performance of the morning. They just looked happy to be on stage and the good energy came across, simply pure enjoyment and entertainment without any strong feelings or emotions. No storyline or message detected. I'm glad Bobby's mic was on his chin so we could see at least someone smiling during the whole thing aaahhh. Performing last was for sure a good thing and it felt like they were perfect for that, bringing the good vibes last. Cute.

We hope that your journey in the competition is iconic now that you're back, with no retreats.

It's pretty difficult to vote and rank what's essentially a teaser honestly.
Right when the stream ended I was sure I was going to vote for Ikon and Btob - ikon for entertainment and btob for uniqueness, but I couldn't get a "3rd place" between the genZ (first impression of sf9 stage wasn't so good). So I did what I do best and threw a coin, with skz getting my 3rd vote in the end. We love lottery don't we.

Unless I fucked up the voting ofc
Which is likely

I will finish with 2 thoughts:
- I hope they all turn their mics on when the competition starts. If I wanted to see lip syncs I'd rather watch drag race
- Black/white outfits get boring. Unless they're doing it for the colorblind peeps, give us some god damn color

Thanks for coming to my TED Talk
And congrats if you've read everything i guess

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Angy said:

Unlike @Bel. I didn't really catch any reference to the past stages euwifwfjk but this was just how I interpretated the stage afterall

We hope you show us the road to slay kingdom, with emphasis on slay.

xfivuxoiv I mean this is also how I interpreted it, to me the start was a reference to the part in Reveal with Eric over Q? after the first chorus. I don't know the song by heart cause actually I don't really listen to Reveal, but that was instantly what I thought they were tryna mimic here. For Quasi Una Fantasia, it was the whole ending with the piano part that got me. I don't remember what else I said my memory is trash but you get what i'm saying. I looked on twitter and a lot of people had like so many different theories et references as well so my version is maybe totally false lmao, but I guess the experience is different for everyone. And I really enjoyed the way you described it wow legend. 😌

Edited by Bel.
  • Like 1