Forums Rules Staff Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
Sign in to follow this  
Aquamaraqua

Minnie & Soyeon Explain the "She" Pronouns Used in "Oh My God"

"Soyeon explains that the imagery represents love in its many forms, a notion made more powerful by the unexpected use of female pronouns. "Oh my god, she took me to the sky," Soyeon cries out on the hook, while she writhes within a mass of bodies cloaked in white and tainted in black ink. "Oh my god, she showed me all the stars," Minnie concludes. It leaves viewers wondering to whom are they referring — to themselves or to love itself, a common motif across (G)I-IDLE’s discography — but Soyeon will leave it to the fans to interpret.

"I didn't want to limit that 'she' to a certain being or a certain definition," she says. "So it's open to anything. I believe that all kinds of love are valuable and must be respected. That's why I don't want to limit 'she' to something specific."

I'm happy that they're spreading a message like that through their music.

ddos7lu-7d5fd9fa-de55-4f12-9ff8-a1409174

Full interview here: http://www.mtv.com/news/3162473/gi-dle-interview-oh-my-god-soyeon-i-trust/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

• Like 8

'Lion' was the strongest female empowerment kpop song of 2019, 'OMG' with female pronouns and 'no limits for interpretation' message... we like to see (G)I-dle promoting the progressive ideas in such confident and sincere way.

• Like 5

so anyone, from a gf to a sister to a mother to your bestie for life? :ahmagah:

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I'm glad they just let the fans interpret the song in any way. I've seen a lot of people interpret the song while dismissing what others are thinking.

The song is still pretty gay though. We stan.

Edited by HiddenMole
  • Like 4
  • Tea 2

Posted (edited)

so they basically said: love is love, take the meaning as you like? 🤔 that still sounds pretty gay to me. Honestly the song hits different once you read the lyrics, especially the English version.

Edited by _universo
  • Like 1

Wholesome. I like the direction they're headed. They definitely have a strong and smart leader.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Aquamaraqua said:

It leaves viewers wondering to whom are they referring — to themselves or to love itself,

Oooor... it's a lesbian song, people

tenor.gif?itemid=9793629

GG: Uses "he" in a song

People: They're talking to a boyfriend. Maybe a husband. Maybe an ex boyfriend. What about a MAN crush? Ohhh perfect to all their fanboys who are their boyfriends 😍. Their romantic husbandos

GG: Uses "she" in a song

People: Who dat? The moon? Your platonic best friend??

Mental gymnastics to not include the gay possibility in the picture.

tenor.gif?itemid=4079797

Edited by Gerimolda
  • Like 2
  • LOL 9
  • Tea 2

13 minutes ago, Gerimolda said:

Oooor... it's a lesbian song, Korea

tenor.gif?itemid=9793629

Korea: They're talking to a boyfriend. Maybe a husband. Maybe an ex boyfriend. What about a MAN crush? Ohhh perfect to all their fanboys who are their boyfriends 😍. Their romantic husbandos

Korea: Who dat? The moon? Your platonic best friend??

tenor.gif?itemid=4079797

This is a US interview, lol

8 minutes ago, Aquamaraqua said:

This is a US interview, lol

Tell me that American viewers are better than this please:

3 hours ago, Aquamaraqua said:

It leaves viewers wondering to whom are they referring — to themselves or to love itself

If not, then daaamn.

6 minutes ago, jeong jaehyuns boyfriend said:

okay but my thing is, if youre going to go so far as to make a song potentially about female-female love, why be so ambiguous about it? 

To play it safe. Lmao as if Korea would react well to a top girlgroup saying "yes this is about blatant homosexuality". It's better not to take risks.

*Potentially* You said it. It leaves enough room for homophobes to make platonic, fraternal and abstract interpretations and calm down.

Spoiler

It really reminds me of how they tried to include a gay couple in a drama from 2015 called "The Lover" but they couldn't do it obvious enough. As almost always, it left enought room for homophobes to think they were friends or just roommates.

• Like 1
  • Clown 1

4 hours ago, Gerimolda said:

Oooor... it's a lesbian song, people

tenor.gif?itemid=9793629

People: They're talking to a boyfriend. Maybe a husband. Maybe an ex boyfriend. What about a MAN crush? Ohhh perfect to all their fanboys who are their boyfriends 😍. Their romantic husbandos

People: Who dat? The moon? Your platonic best friend??

tenor.gif?itemid=4079797

She herself was non-committal, so you can't blame them.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Gerimolda said:

To play it safe. Lmao as if Korea would react well to a top girlgroup saying "yes this is about blatant homosexuality". It's better not to take risks.

*Potentially* You said it. It leaves enough room for homophobes to make platonic, fraternal and abstract interpretations and calm down.

Hide contents

It really reminds me of how they tried to include a gay couple in a drama from 2015 called "The Lover" but they couldn't do it obvious enough. As almost always, it left enought room for homophobes to think they were friends or just roommates.

17 hours ago, jeong jaehyuns boyfriend said:

okay but my thing is, if youre going to go so far as to make a song potentially about female-female love, why be so ambiguous about it? 

Maybe because people have different interpretations of the song? Some people thought it was similar to God is a woman... maybe Soyeon meant both? Maybe neither. You guys can't shove an interpretation down someone's throat when it's clear the artist doesn't lean one way or another--and this is not limited to homosexuality for IDLE. They've said during previous eras that their music has been about trespassing gender and gender norms, it's not made for a woman or a man in particular even before this era began. On topic of homosexuality though, Minnie is a huge and vocal supporter of Troye Sivan, so the girls are clearly aware in that respect.

Also, The Lover with Takuya and Joonjae was most definitely NOT left up to interpretation in terms of friends or roommates... while they never kissed, they were definitely not just seen as friends and /everyone/ knew that, it's why it was on a cable show.

I'm not saying Korea is perfect in regards to liberation of the LGBT, but change definitely does take time. One cannot latch onto one artist and use them as a target when interpretations aren't how one wants to see them. Soyeon saying that she respects all forms of love is a statement in itself, it's the interviewer that muddled the meaning. If IDLE wanted to gay bait like that, it'd be pretty clear. There's another group that already does that so well, so I don't see a need for them to take that niche, lol

• Tea 1
  • Clown 2
  • Dislike 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/8/2020 at 8:27 PM, Gerimolda said:

Hide contents

8 hours ago, Aquamaraqua said:

Maybe because people have different interpretations of the song? Some people thought it was similar to God is a woman... maybe Soyeon meant both? Maybe neither. You guys can't shove an interpretation down someone's throat when it's clear the artist doesn't lean one way or another--and this is not limited to homosexuality for IDLE. They've said during previous eras that their music has been about trespassing gender and gender norms, it's not made for a woman or a man in particular even before this era began. On topic of homosexuality though, Minnie is a huge and vocal supporter of Troye Sivan, so the girls are clearly aware in that respect.

Also, The Lover with Takuya and Joonjae was most definitely NOT left up to interpretation in terms of friends or roommates... while they never kissed, they were definitely not just seen as friends and /everyone/ knew that, it's why it was on a cable show.

I'm not saying Korea is perfect in regards to liberation of the LGBT, but change definitely does take time. One cannot latch onto one artist and use them as a target when interpretations aren't how one wants to see them. Soyeon saying that she respects all forms of love is a statement in itself, it's the interviewer that muddled the meaning. If IDLE wanted to gay bait like that, it'd be pretty clear. There's another group that already does that so well, so I don't see a need for them to take that niche, lol

I mean I'd like to start off by saying I am appreciative of EVERY effort in promoting LGBTQ+ visibility, representation, and equality - especially when it's coming from celebrities or public figures that have a big platform and can reach a larger audience. So whatever people's interpretations are, I'm glad to know that Soyeon and likely the other girls are open-minded about gender and sexual diversity. I definitely don't think that they're gay baiting at all, and I actually really like GIDLE as a group and think they're super talented girls. 

I'm sure you're both either part of the community or allies as well, but as a gay man myself, I was just expressing my frustration at how we STILL have to beat around the bush. That messages like this still have to be "implied" or indirectly given, or "up for interpretation" to avoid offending the people that continue to oppress our community. I completely understand that GIDLE are a rising girl group and they don't want to turn the GP in Korea against them, the majority of which is still very conservative. I don't fault them for this at all. But I'm just saying in general, and I'm not aiming this at the girls - I'm tired of it. If you're going to be an ally for our community, BE AN ALLY and STAND IN IT. Whenever there is room for "interpretation", that gives people the opportunity to invalidate our community once again. I'm tired of looking for Blue's Clues just to know that they were trying to deliver a positive LGBTQ+ related message.

Things aren't going to change with just one foot out the door.

Edited by jeong jaehyuns boyfriend
  • Like 1
  • Tea 1

1 hour ago, jeong jaehyuns boyfriend said:

I mean I'd like to start off by saying I am appreciative of EVERY effort in promoting LGBTQ+ visibility, representation, and equality - especially when it's coming from celebrities or public figures that have a big platform and can reach a larger audience. So whatever people's interpretations are, I'm glad to know that Soyeon and likely the other girls are open-minded about gender and sexual diversity. I definitely don't think that they're gay baiting at all, and I actually really like GIDLE as a group and think they're super talented girls. 

I'm sure you're both either part of the community or allies as well, but as a gay man myself, I was just expressing my frustration at how we STILL have to beat around the bush. That messages like this still have to be "implied" or indirectly given, or "up for interpretation" to avoid offending the people that continue to oppress our community. I completely understand that GIDLE are a rising girl group and they don't want to turn the GP in Korea against them, the majority of which is still very conservative. I don't fault them for this at all. But I'm just saying in general, and I'm not aiming this at the girls - I'm tired of it. If you're going to be an ally for our community, BE AN ALLY and STAND IN IT. Whenever there is room for "interpretation", that gives people the opportunity to invalidate our community once again. I'm tired of looking for Blue's Clues just to know that they were trying to deliver a positive LGBTQ+ related message.

Things aren't going to change with just one foot out the door.

Oh yeah I totally understand that. I think particularly in the Takuya x Joonjae example, Takuya himself clearly stated he supported all forms of love when asked about gay relationships... so it's clear there was no ambiguity in his role. Cross Gene as a whole have been pretty vocal about the LGBT as a whole, so I wanted to correct said user.

As for this song, I've already explained my thoughts on it--as we really don't know if this is intended to be lesbian at all.

2 hours ago, Aquamaraqua said:

Oh yeah I totally understand that. I think particularly in the Takuya x Joonjae example, Takuya himself clearly stated he supported all forms of love when asked about gay relationships... so it's clear there was no ambiguity in his role. Cross Gene as a whole have been pretty vocal about the LGBT as a whole, so I wanted to correct said user.

As for this song, I've already explained my thoughts on it--as we really don't know if this is intended to be lesbian at all.

Yeah, I looooved Takuya and Joonjae sooo much in The Lover and I totally agree that they were unambiguously attracted to each other. I still think their storyline could have been handled a bit better by production, but overall I thought that series was cute. I should go rewatch it.

Sorry if I came off a bit snappy by the way, I wasn’t directing any of that at you or anyone else here. I’m just passionate about this stuff lol

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jeong jaehyuns boyfriend said:

Yeah, I looooved Takuya and Joonjae sooo much in The Lover and I totally agree that they were unambiguously attracted to each other. I still think their storyline could have been handled a bit better by production, but overall I thought that series was cute. I should go rewatch it.

Sorry if I came off a bit snappy by the way, I wasn’t directing any of that at you or anyone else here. I’m just passionate about this stuff lol

No offense noted! I understand the need to be vocal about these issues completely.

And yeah Mnet productions aren’t always the most pleasing. I’m hoping Taku gets another acting role in Korea again, been missing his presence.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2020 at 10:46 PM, Augusto said:

'Lion' was the strongest female empowerment kpop song of 2019, 'OMG' with female pronouns and 'no limits for interpretation' message... we like to see (G)I-dle promoting the progressive ideas in such confident and sincere way.

I love them. Stan

• Like 1