Forums Rules Staff Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
xJiji04

Design Majors Out Here?

Question for people who majored in Graphic Design

I just graduated from this major a couple months ago and Ive yet to receive an interview for an actual Design position. Ive been applying like crazy but I get no callbacks for an interview since they all require experience which I don't have. Have any of you struggled this hard to get a job? Ive been applying for internships as of now to get my foot somewhere. I legit don't know if its me or probably the competition is real out here lol. Does it take a whole year to find a design position for those who studied this major?? Word of advice would help 😭

Word of advice? Start your own business. What kind of graphics do you do? Do u have any examples?

are u still in contact with old classmates? maybe they know some places u can apply, or if u had professors that are still working in the field u can ask them for advice. and yeah starting ur own business

I'm struggling with the same issue, except that I'm out of job (company issue) rather than just graduated.

Here in my country, the graphics designing jobs are kind of everywhere, but if you're looking for sole graphics designing task, you'll get nowhere. They want to recruit you as a graphics designer, but usually they want you to capable of doing both graphics and videos. People kind of looking down of this job here tbh-

Anyway, I would say don't give up on searching. You can start with doing graphic jobs for people around you so they know you're doing graphics (pretty much start your own business). But, like they said, you could opt to ask your lecturers, seniors, your networking who you know working in such industries.

It ain't easy, but if you have passion and patience, you'll get there soon. Don't give up my fellow designer! :3

• Love 1

4 hours ago, eunheart said:

I'm struggling with the same issue, except that I'm out of job (company issue) rather than just graduated.

Here in my country, the graphics designing jobs are kind of everywhere, but if you're looking for sole graphics designing task, you'll get nowhere. They want to recruit you as a graphics designer, but usually they want you to capable of doing both graphics and videos. People kind of looking down of this job here tbh-

Anyway, I would say don't give up on searching. You can start with doing graphic jobs for people around you so they know you're doing graphics (pretty much start your own business). But, like they said, you could opt to ask your lecturers, seniors, your networking who you know working in such industries.

It ain't easy, but if you have passion and patience, you'll get there soon. Don't give up my fellow designer! :3

Its quite difficult tbh, but I was thinking about getting an internship and hustle my way so they can give me a full time position lol. But, Ive been applying internships in NYC because I cant find any internships around my area. I was thinking about doing freelance to get some experience on the side. For now, Im still applying for design positions tho. I just don't want to keep working at my old job because I kind of hate it lol

On 3/31/2020 at 4:48 AM, xJiji04 said:

Its quite difficult tbh, but I was thinking about getting an internship and hustle my way so they can give me a full time position lol. But, Ive been applying internships in NYC because I cant find any internships around my area. I was thinking about doing freelance to get some experience on the side. For now, Im still applying for design positions tho. I just don't want to keep working at my old job because I kind of hate it lol

I'm not sure how is it in the States but for us here in my country, our internship will never guarantee us the job we should be doing cause intern is more for you to have work experience at your workplace rather than the expertise you're honing on. Just keep applying, it'll find you soon. But anyway, at least you still have a job, that's more secured than being jobless.

Ngl it's a pain in the ass for me to look for one while being jobless-

• Like 1