Forums Rules Staff Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
krystalice

How do you guys feel about majoring in Homeland security?

Im currently majoring in computer science and I cannot take it anymore despite how much money it can make. I'm considering changing my major to homeland security next semester and I'm currently minoring in IT. Of course i'm gonna talk to people in real life like professionals about this but I want to know what people from online thought. I'm quite interested in homeland security but I don't know how valuable the degree is despite what the college may say. 

i didn't even know that was a major, tbh.  guess i just assumed most people who went into TSA and whatnot were law enforcement/criminal justice majors. depending on what type of career you want, a more specialized program like that might be helpful...

from the official US Homeland Security website:

• Mission support careers involve the following fields: medical, human resources, facilities, budget, procurement, science and technology, training, intelligence, planning and coordination, detection, civil rights, fraud detection and more.
  • Law enforcement careers offer positions in protection of the President, Vice President, their families, heads of state and other designated individuals; securing the nation’s borders and enforcing immigration laws; interagency law enforcement training; and enforcing economic, transportation and infrastructure security.
  • Immigration and travel security careers involve protecting the nation’s transportation systems, as well as overseeing lawful immigration to the U.S.
  • Prevention and response careers protect the public, environment and U.S. economic and security interests in any maritime region, as well as provide preparedness, protection, response, recovery and mitigation to reduce loss of life and property and protect the nation from all hazards are what these careers are all about.

sounds like a variety of careers with different possible backgrounds/programs of study.  it's up to you at the end of the day.  i don't think it would be impossible to get into that kind of work even with a computer science degree, but you could also try checking out internship programs for federal careers ~

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 8:48 PM, love said:

i didn't even know that was a major, tbh.  guess i just assumed most people who went into TSA and whatnot were law enforcement/criminal justice majors. depending on what type of career you want, a more specialized program like that might be helpful...

from the official US Homeland Security website:

• Mission support careers involve the following fields: medical, human resources, facilities, budget, procurement, science and technology, training, intelligence, planning and coordination, detection, civil rights, fraud detection and more.
  • Law enforcement careers offer positions in protection of the President, Vice President, their families, heads of state and other designated individuals; securing the nation’s borders and enforcing immigration laws; interagency law enforcement training; and enforcing economic, transportation and infrastructure security.
  • Immigration and travel security careers involve protecting the nation’s transportation systems, as well as overseeing lawful immigration to the U.S.
  • Prevention and response careers protect the public, environment and U.S. economic and security interests in any maritime region, as well as provide preparedness, protection, response, recovery and mitigation to reduce loss of life and property and protect the nation from all hazards are what these careers are all about.

sounds like a variety of careers with different possible backgrounds/programs of study.  it's up to you at the end of the day.  i don't think it would be impossible to get into that kind of work even with a computer science degree, but you could also try checking out internship programs for federal careers ~

Thanks for the information!

Oh interesting! 

Good luck~ 

Ooops I'm late 

My first degree (Already graduated) was related to the computers and I'm studying again (2nd degree) haha I'm happy now