Forums Rules Staff NEW Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
Maiha

Korean wave

Hi

Im working on a project and want to hear your opinion

When two cultures: western and asian clash and what problems are from that?

clash during Korean  Wave

I want to hear OHallyuers opinion :smile:

Edited by Maiha

What do you mean by "what problems are from that" part? Does it mean "what problems arise from that clash" or "what are the challenges" or something else?

It's an interesting topic. What is the angle you aiming for? Geopolitical/soft power? Sociopolitical? Musician or artistic POV? As a fad/trend?

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, Pyron said:

What do you mean by "what problems are from that" part? Does it mean "what problems arise from that clash" or "what are the challenges" or something else?

It's an interesting topic. What is the angle you aiming for? Geopolitical/soft power? Sociopolitical? Musician or artistic POV? As a fad/trend?

I mean what problems arise from that clash. For instance, cultural or political or sociopolitical or trends

I think it's better to be a bit more specific because the term Western is a little too broad. I'm afraid that even European could be a bit too broad. However, I guess it's fine if we are talking about broad concepts. If you have a layout of ideas or specifics you wanna discuss, it could be helpful.

4 minutes ago, Pyron said:

I think it's better to be a bit more specific because the term Western is a little too broad. I'm afraid that even European could be a bit too broad. However, I guess it's fine if we are talking about broad concepts. If you have a layout of ideas or specifics you wanna discuss, it could be helpful.

From your perspective what cultural problems do you see? 

19 minutes ago, Maiha said:

From your perspective what cultural problems do you see? 

Trying to see from an American view, I don't think there is any big problem per se, as Westerners tend to be more accepting of other cultures in general. If they don't accept something, it's more because it doesn't fit their taste or some aspect of Korean culture may not translate well.

For music, I think attempts to get into American market were lukewarm. However, Gangnam style may have opened the curiosity of people to check Kpop at least on similar level of other niche hobbies like anime. From there directly or indirectly interest grew a bit. I don't think it will reach mainstream level yet, but it could reach similar level as anime. BTS and Blackpink are the spear head and it's too soon to judge what it means to Kpop in general. Maybe it will just be confined to just these two groups.

I think hallyu is more prevalent on cuisine and movies could open up the USA market more.

Problems are bigger in Asian markets actually because the rapid growth in countries like China and Japan would bring some clash as they are uneasy neighbors with complicated history and clashing nationalism sentiments. They have their own cultural exports and interests as well, so they may see Korean wave as a threat.

China being authoritarian can slow down any Korean cultural exports very easily and we have seen how much it was damaging during the THAAD incident.

Japanese conservative groups may attack hallyu, but I don't think it reflects general Japanese public. Some outrage may occur, but after the dust is settled, it's business as usual. I think the decline of hallyu is more to do with the decline of Japanese economy in general and their refocus to service. Japan have Cool Japan initiative (not very effective as it's already a little too late, people already love Japanese culture, you can't make them love it more), so maybe more nefarious one could arise in the name of protecting Japanese cultural exports (farfetched).

There is an increasing push for Southeast Asian markets and it seems to be received positively, but some pushbacks may occur as this may call attention to nationalist groups. The silver lining with Korean Wave is Korean culture being very conservative makes it a very sell to very different countries like Muslim and Latin Americans, but at the same time it's not a put off for more liberal nations.

Also, the more Koreans show their cultural assets, the more some questionable aspects of Korean society may surface. Also, like any big entertainment industry, they are full of skeletons. Some may view the government active participation in spreading Korean Wave as less benign as well.

• Love 1

Korean culture is not asian culture. Bye.

Could talk to you about my asian culture colliding with western(american) culture though.

Honestly, Korean culture is a lot about the community and what everyone thinks as well as accepted norms. In my opinion the United States is like a big commercial business. Everyone's own personal wants, needs, and desires. When the two cultures clash or are considered they are done while still reinforcing the United States' "me" attitude.

Korean culture is very free in that a sense of the "greater good" in a community sense is generally the over-arching ideal everyone continually thinks. That's in contrast to the United States ideology of what's better for business or my own needs?