Forums Rules Staff NEW Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
eternal glow

What do you do to take care of your mental health?

Suggestions appreciated whether big or small. Or maybe share your own struggles (to your own comfort) so we all feel a little less alone?

I feel like my mental health is deteriorating and I'm just crumbling a bit more every time I try to fix it.

I can get very overwhelmed by being around others for too long and it drains my energy, so I always try to make sure to give myself enough down-time. Time to relax and just hang out with myself. It gives me time to gather my thoughts and gives me energy to tackle the outside world.

I think the most important thing is giving yourself time and permission to do the things that make YOU feel relaxed. If you always HAVE to do something, and never do anything just because you WANT to, you can be overwhelmed by the stress and pressure.

• Like 1

As an introvert, like what Bluebells and Snowdrops said, "I can get very overwhelmed by being around others for too long and it drains my energy." But hey, not discrediting the comfort from family, relatives, and friend. 

In my case, I just listen to music (in this case K-pop), watch MV's, watch TV series, play online games. At times, buying food and clothes made me at ease.

Edited by probee

Spending time with my boyfriend, he gives me a lot of support and comfort when I'm in need.

I see my friends regularly. I'm the kind of person that likes staying home alone but if I stay alone for too long it affects my mood really badly. So I spend weekends chilling home with my 2 best friends from time to time.

Also ASMR, I tend to struggle to sleep because I'm thinking too much and about not really good things, I started listening to ASMR maybe 2 years ago now, it really improved my sleep since it prevents me from overthinking for hours before sleeping.

And cuddles / playtime with my cat. Since I adopted her I really noticed how my mental health improved.

Spoiler

I feel that circumstances surrounding how mental health can be approached is often complicated. In my view, a lack of clear answers can sometimes introduce uncertainty. This, then, can affect how one can achieve a desired sense of social functioning. Different circumstances, too, may not allow for the most ideal of strategies to be utilised to its maximum potential.

My break from OH has been mainly used to correct my sleep hygiene. This is a recurrent problem I face due to my own stubbornness and extant personal circumstances, which I acknowledge.

Nowadays, I try to focus on setting daily rituals. I've been monitoring my physical health (e.g., rate of breathing). I've consciously reassured myself to treat my body gently and respectfully. I make a conscious effort to count slowly to help myself to slow down (and possibly reduce) any unwanted/unhelpful thoughts. More specifically, I inhale slowly to the count of 3 through my nose; then, I exhale slowly using my mouth, generally to the count of 6. If I feel directly overwhelmed, I may consider closing my eyes to improve my concentration. I reinforce to myself that I must use this opportunity to live in a more fulfilling way.

You can also feel improvements when you begin or continue to practise using your diaphragm. Your pattern of breathing will differ relatively. It will depend on the amount of practice you have accumulated, and how comfortable you are in doing it.

When assessing my current mood, I try to play a range of songs. The aim is to find 'balance.' I do not intentionally limit my choices across genres. If I feel that I should play a song that I feel emotionally connected towards, I also make an attempt to find/play music that presents (hopefully) more optimistic messages. The goal is to remind myself that I am vulnerable but capable of engaging within the process of recovery.

A much more time-consuming alternative could be free-writing. Now, I don't actively repress any of the thoughts I have in my mind; I make them known. I become scholastic with the way I engage with my mind. My goal is to understand why I feel the way I do. The process helps me to relieve pressure and burden that I may not realise that I could be carrying unconsciously. I place faith and share a belief towards this process. This, in turn, makes me want to stay alive so I can continue to do it.

Despite personal challenges, these problems are not impossible to resolve. Managing them can be difficult, but can also provide insight. Where possible, I also try to consider general changes as something to be embraced, rather than feared.

If there's anything else I can think of, I may make note of it. Best of luck to you.

Edited by Chuan
  • Like 1

Sometimes, it's about your inner conflict with expectations from others or even from yourself.

Learn to take things less personally.

Learn to develop matters in your own time.

Learn to let go of things or people that wrecks your peace.

spend less time on twitter and co; taking time for yourself is good but make sure you do have an actual irl social life; exercise daily; apparently having a diary helps too?

Edited by best of you

I smoke a shit ton of weed. Not a good way to cope. Started out doing it for fun, then I realized it made me sort of numb to the shit that goes on in my head. Also listen to a lot of music.

Counseling helps a lot. I also take medication, but it doesn’t really work. I’d recommend having a friend or someone close to you that you can talk to about it. I don’t really have anyone to talk to about it anymore, but when I did it made me feel a lot better.

Edited by Nowhere Boy

Thinking that it's ok not to be perfect, it's ok to feel bad at times. We live this life in order to be happy, beating ourselves everytime something goes wrong and worrying over every single thing is not going to resolve anything. We should live in the present and take action in actively improving our life instead of wasting time with self-pity or self-critic. Fighting to improve our life everyday will come a long way eventually. We should start moving and be proud of our progress even if it seems little at first, like brushing your teeth tonight. 

Edited by Serenee

When I'm in a panic attack or I know one is coming on, I do my breathing exercises and I listen to Ariana Grande's "Breathin" while doing so. I found the song to be very therapeutic for me.

I have a set of songs that I listen to that helps me when my anxiety is strong. It's mostly Slipknot, Lamb of God, Hatebreed, ADTR and Korn songs. I found their lyrics (and screaming) very calming to me. 

I also watch The Office just to deal with things. 

Therapy is the best solution in my opinion but since not everyone can afford it I will share what I do when I cannot see my psychologist. Dancing is probably my number one way to deal with mental illness, it allows me to relieve so much stress and empty my mind. Music, definitely a good helper! Video games, another good one to make me think about something different if I start having a panic attack especially. I don't know if the next one is healthy but sleeping/napping helps me a lot.

i have a very unusual way of dealing with my mental health which is to eat ( maybe its because im a foodie )

When I was in a really big down part in my life, I just shut my thoughts so I would stop thinking all the time about all that stressed me. The no thoughts, head empty, but on the regular. Somehow, it actually worked, and helped me. Definitely not recommend it, it was such a weird cleanse and I still don't understand how I made that possible first off, but I have terrible memory since then. 

Afterwards, really worst things happened, but I passed over them easier. I just came to a certain peace with life and myself. That I shouldn't stress about things I can't control, and that I should focus on making the things that I can actually control goes my way instead.

The hardest thing is to break this mental barrier that separate those habits you can have that aren't healthy for you, and what you should and tell yourself to do but you won't. Those fears, those thoughts, will never totally disappear, but they can be greatly reduced and it makes the world of a difference.

i usually distract myself. i play games, watch videos or cartoons and also exercise. i think exercising plays the biggest part on my mental health. after i started exercising, i've became a lot stronger mentally. i used to meditate and helped a lot 

I usually listen to music, play video games, watch youtube videos or draw to help maintain my mental health. During times when I feel extremely down, I scroll through pictures of my biases until I can calm down