Forums Rules Staff Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
Sign in to follow this  
AwkwardMango

Waiting to hear back from a research position that I applied for. I have some questions (

So I had an interview for a research position which is something I’m incredibly passionate about. In an email before the interview, I was told he would make the decision within a week (on who to pick since there are more people applying for the limited space) after the end of the interview (which was on Thursday), he said he will let the people know by Friday or Saturday or at most Monday since he wants to start training people on the day that classes begins (in two weeks) 

I haven’t heard anything back from him so I’m feeling incredibly nervous and anxious. Would he email back even if it’s a rejection? Or if I don’t hear anything back from him by Monday, should I assume I was rejected? When would be a good time to follow up? I don’t want to annoy him by sending him an email especially if he’s busy. I’m really sorry for all the questions. My anxiety is going up through the roof at the moment and since I have no experience with this kind of stuff, I would appreciate help from anyone who went through something similar

If he said he'll let you know his decision via email, then you should take his word for it. He said that the latest he could possibly send out emails is Monday, so you should at least wait until then! If he still doesn't get back to you by then I'd send a follow-up on Tuesday to confirm. Don't worry about him being busy, it's his obligation as a principal investigator and supervisor to work with students, especially if its about a research position he specifically advertised for in his lab! 

Good luck sweetie!

20 minutes ago, jung jaehyun's boyfriend said:

If he said he'll let you know his decision via email, then you should take his word for it. He said that the latest he could possibly send out emails is Monday, so you should at least wait until then! If he still doesn't get back to you by then I'd send a follow-up on Tuesday to confirm. Don't worry about him being busy, it's his obligation as a principal investigator and supervisor to work with students, especially if its about a research position he specifically advertised for in his lab! 

Good luck sweetie!

Thank you so much! I’m feeling less anxious now~~~~

To be honest, sometimes they dont email you to say no. After graduation I also applied to research positions and many times didnt get contacted. You never truly know though! I got hired the day after my interview and my friend got hired to a different position like 2 weeks after hers. It's all very variable