Forums Rules Staff Calendar Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
Sign in to follow this  
My Everything

[NB] Hyuna's 'reggae hair' under debate

spacer.pngspacer.png

Article: "Mocking black culture vs Just a style" debate over Hyuna's reggae hair -> "I respect everyone" statement

Source: Mydaily via Nate

1. [+1,341, -12] Wait, so having reggae hair is considered mocking black people now?? People are finding everything problematic;;

2. [+971, -10] Are people sick? How is this mocking black people? ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

3. [+877, -15] Then is bleaching your hair considered mocking white people?

4. [+31, -0] I thought Hyuna had actually verbally said something ㅋㅋㅋㅋ

5. [+29, -0] Huh? How is this mocking black people?

6. [+24, -1] I remember Haha and several other celebrities had reggae hair in the past... then if a black person gets their hair straightened, who are they mocking?

7. [+22, -1] Of all the things to find problematic, a hair style... let people do what they want ㅡㅡ

8. [+19, -1] People find too many things problematic. If she really wanted to mock black people, she'd do it in a full get up to look as funny as possible. It's obvious she had positive intentions. And if you're going to accuse something of mocking a culture, you need to explain why. You can't just accuse it and expect people to understand.

9. [+17, -0] Beckham used to have reggae hair, was that mockery too? And a lot of female rappers in our country have reggae hair... people are just trying to find anything problematic...

10. [+13, -0] It's not like she's the only one to have done this hairstyle, why are people complaining?

-

Source: Naver

1. [+304, -1] Then if a black person gets their hair straightened, are they mocking Asians?

2. [+185, -0] So many idols have already done the reggae hair ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ who came up with something as illogical as this hair style being a mockery of black people? If you bleach your hair, are you mocking white people then?

3. [+30, -0] How is this a mockery? So many celebrities had it in the 90s, I don't understand

4. [+12, -0] ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ Reggae hair is mocking black people now????? How tiring it must be to find everything so problematic.. ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

5. [+6, -0] If you vacation in SEA, they braid your hair like this... so are the Thai and Vietnamese mocking black people too?

Source

• Like 7

knetizen being normal people in this...

• Like 11
  • Tea 1
  • Clown 5
  • Dislike 1

6. [+24, -1] I remember Haha and several other celebrities had reggae hair in the past... then if a black person gets their hair straightened, who are they mocking?

I don't care what the girl does to her hair BUT THIS ARGUMENT EVERY TIME. I straighten my hair because I want to. Damn. 

8 minutes ago, nefhilim said:

knetizen being normal people in this...

Not all of them. They're making comparisons that they don't understand, such as black people straightening their hair. Some black people get fired for wearing their natural hair (so they have to straighten it or wear wigs/weaves). The blond hair comment is ridiculous too because there are black people with natural blond hair.

• Like 5
  • Tea 1
  • Clown 1
  • WTF 1

Intelectual here. Not only him, also Skull and Kush when they had Stony Skunk and made Reggae music. This is just a style, just that. Thank God I live in a country where the freedom of have any hair style is not criticized by moralist defenders.

• Like 10
  • Love 1
  • Clown 11
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, Remuku said:

Intelectual here. Not only him, also Skull and Kush when they had Stony Skunk and made Reggae music. This is just a style, just that. Thank God I live in a country where the freedom of have any hair style is not criticized by moralist defenders.

How are they an intellectual when the last part not that smart? There's a history behind that.

Edited by frozentear

5 minutes ago, frozentear said:

Not all of them. They're making comparisons that they don't understand, such as black people straightening their hair. Some black people get fired for wearing their natural hair (so they have to straighten it or wear wigs/weaves). The blond hair comment is ridiculous too because there are black people with natural blond hair.

And also this reason.

People see our natural hair as "unprofessional" even when styled. 

• Like 8
  • Clown 1

Wait a min do they think only asians have straight hair and only whites have blonde hair? We-

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Remuku said:

Lmao the least they could do is get the damn name right, tf is reggae hair? Like ew. Its braids/box braids! Que ppl saying black ppl should just be quiet, let others take, take and take from the culture as its just hair. Your community considers it a part of their culture/a protective style? Who cares if your offended its just hair. You were discriminated against for wearing braids? Forced to assimilate by straightning your hair for a job? Who cares its just hair. I think people are misunderstanding that to the black community hair is not just hair, its has years of history and importance in terms of image, self esteem and discrimination. Now that people are being more vocal about black culture, its a given we will get some disagreements/ppl thinking its a whole joke, but frankly who cares if you think its no big deal tbh, black people will still take up for what they believe like how you will continue to bend over backwards for these idols. 🙂

• Like 7
  • Clown 7

Straight hair isn't a fucking culture, I've seen this shit so much like shut the hell up. And the hair looks atrocious on her, why would she think this was a cute decision?

17 minutes ago, Remuku said:

no you're just ignorant lmao, if you don't understand the historical and cultural aspects behind braids then educate yourself or stay out of it. That's all.

Edited by Neito
  • Like 9
  • Clown 3
  • Dislike 6

LOL Knet, reggae hair I cant. I'm, like alot of people, are tired of this discussion, when idols start losing hair from doing these styles not made for them, they'll see.

Black people own hairstyles now? Jfc they need to stop finding issues with every little thing. If she wants to do that hair she should. 

• Like 13
  • Tea 2
  • Clown 4
  • Dislike 5

46 minutes ago, My Everything said:

1. [+304, -1] Then if a black person gets their hair straightened, are they mocking Asians?

But there are black people with naturally straight hair. I literally have cousins with naturally straight hair and we're all black.

Times like these are the reason I can not stand KPOP stans. Like what have black people done to you????  Why do you feel the need to look down on their feelings??? Black people are discriminated against for this hairstyle and for non-black people to view it as a simple fashion trend is downright disrespectful. 
I hope Hyuna goes bald, karma be on my side for once 

• Like 7
  • LOL 2
  • Clown 7
  • Dislike 9
  • WTF 3

4 minutes ago, Zack Morris said:

I hope Hyuna goes bald, karma be on my side for once

??????

• LOL 2
  • Dislike 1

no offense but do americans really think black people own this hairstyle? are they really that dumb?

Edited by JoJo29
  • Like 17
  • Tea 7
  • Clown 6
  • Dislike 2

mocking my ass ...  she can have whatever hair style she likes.

she s no mocking any culture by having some braids. 

spacer.png

Edited by adda
  • Like 7
  • Clown 1

ngl i got my hair done like that as a kid on a vacation in turkey. didn't know it was problematic back then, only learned about that when i got older and interacted with americans online

• Like 9

I would be more interested in seeing some classical korean hairstyle variation. its korean pop after all, and Korea has its own rich culture.

that being said, I dont think its okay to treat someone like a criminal because of hair. but it is expected from Americans, just the times we live in.

Edited by Choi Chanhee
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, micropachycephalosaurus said:

ngl i got my hair done like that as a kid on a vacation in turkey. didn't know it was problematic back then, only learned about that when i got older and interacted with americans online

like always, Americans make a fuss out of nothing. 

• Like 21
  • Tea 1
  • Dislike 6

23 minutes ago, micropachycephalosaurus said:

they think world revolve around them 😂, it remains me when they were bashing lisa for her braids in KTL, a fuckin THAI person, I have to laugh.

Imagine them in a country like Thailand, Scandinavia or Colombia going around telling them: DoN't WeAr BrAiDs iS OnLy FoR BlAcK PeOPLe" 🤣 🤣🤣

Edited by JoJo29
  • Like 16
  • LOL 2
  • Clown 1
  • Dislike 7

27 minutes ago, Zack Morris said:

?????? 
What? Baldness like as in no hair, a bald head, I wish that upon her

Imagine calling out people because you feel disrespected but proceed to make a disrespectful remark and is even proud of it.

• Like 7
  • Dislike 1