Forums Rules Staff Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
Sign in to follow this  
Bom

I'm enrolling in University as an older student.

Hi ~ Age 25 student here who decided it isn't too late to achieve my dreams.

So I'm doing a part time online Uni course in English Literature and English Language starting Feb 2020.

English students, what can I expect? 

Any study tips for someone who is a bit out of practice? 

Also balancing my studies, I'm also learning Japanese alongside it how can I balance my individual studies? 

Thank you guys, I'm excited, nervous and hopeful. 

• Love 8

Not an English student, though I did take a few English classes... lots of reading

Congrats on enrolling!

• Love 1

Uhhhh... you know you're literally at the average age of a uni student right...?

Like, there are a huge amount of uni students in their 30s and 40s let alone those old enough to be considered 'mature age students'.

Anyways, good luck. Uni is a great time to experience and explore new horizons of knowledge and your interests. Make the most of it.

Edited by Iljin Oppa
  • Love 1

50 minutes ago, Iljin Oppa said:

Uhhhh... you know you're literally at the average age of a uni student right...?

Like, there are a huge amount of uni students in their 30s and 40s let alone those old enough to be considered 'mature age students'.

Anyways, good luck. Uni is a great time to experience and explore new horizons of knowledge and your interests. Make the most of it.

I know that it's just in terms of people I know who are my age they already finished Uni since they started working towards it straight after leaving school. So I feel a little left behind. 

Thanks so much, I will! ♥

Congrats! I graduated in English Studies last spring. Prepare for lots of reading but apart from that, get ready to enjoy. I honestly LOVED the program. It made me see the world differently and now i'm more aware of social issues. I'm really happy for you. I wish you all the best!

My tip is doing some reading everyday, even when you're not feeling it. And every week/two weeks making a summary with all the important concepts so revising for finals is a bit easier.

As for keeping up with Japanese, I'd make a schedule for it. I was, in fact, a Japanese student too lol and every tuesday and thursday from 7 to 9 I'd be doing that no matter what. 

• Love 1

18 minutes ago, Bom said:

I know that it's just in terms of people I know who are my age they already finished Uni since they started working towards it straight after leaving school. So I feel a little left behind. 

Thanks so much, I will! ♥

Well, a lot of the time what they don’t tell you is that, because they rushed into it, they might not actually be enjoying what they’re doing so don’t feel left behind because you actually took time to decide what you wanted to do. For all you know, they could be right behind you picking up a Masters to completely change their career. It’s very common for our generation.

That also goes to say, enjoy your time at uni but also don’t feel like it’s the end all just because you’re doing X degree. 

• Love 1

I graduated with an MA in English Literature - a lot of reading and a lot of thematic exploration

you can't exactly study for english literature unless you've already been given a reading list and then if you have, just start reading and looking up critics essays - if your course was anything like mine I recommend The Madwoman in the Attic. I think I literally got a whole ass degree writing about victorian novels from a feminist perspective lolol

• Love 1

I hear you. When I did my courses for jewelry design at 31, I was just endlessly glad that I could still pass looking "college aged" so I didn't get any strange looks.

I have an English BA, and it's like everyone said, endless amounts of readings and essay writing. For a tip: I got a very portable, cheap, stripped down laptop/chromebook lightweight thing to basically ONLY read PDFs and smash out essays in word on. It was very basic to prevent me from sidetracking on anything NOT homework and light enough so that I can write whenever I get a hint of motivation and in different locations so that I wasn't a complete hermit.

I also got very good at coming at any topic or book theme sideways. Don't be afraid to put off kilter spins on traditional literature as long as you can find some crazy way to tie it down. My favorite class was probably Fairy tales and Fables because there's so much delicious everything you can re-interpret and unpack in those.

On 12/9/2019 at 2:25 PM, Xin said:

I hear you. When I did my courses for jewelry design at 31, I was just endlessly glad that I could still pass looking "college aged" so I didn't get any strange looks.

I have an English BA, and it's like everyone said, endless amounts of readings and essay writing. For a tip: I got a very portable, cheap, stripped down laptop/chromebook lightweight thing to basically ONLY read PDFs and smash out essays in word on. It was very basic to prevent me from sidetracking on anything NOT homework and light enough so that I can write whenever I get a hint of motivation and in different locations so that I wasn't a complete hermit.

I also got very good at coming at any topic or book theme sideways. Don't be afraid to put off kilter spins on traditional literature as long as you can find some crazy way to tie it down. My favorite class was probably Fairy tales and Fables because there's so much delicious everything you can re-interpret and unpack in those.

Yes I look pretty young too, usually people think I'm 20 rather than almost 26! 

Thanks so much, I'm definitely going to look into getting a lightweight PC of sorts just for homework and stuff. If I study at home 24/7 I'll get distracted and I only have a desktop PC so I can't exactly take it with me. I'd much rather go to a library or cafe to work to get some peace. 

Once I get into it I'll try not to be afraid, since it's been a while since I did any kind of essays I'm kind of nervous.. we're not really focusing on anything like that until year 2. 😢 I was A grade at school so I'm hoping it'll all come back to me!

Good luck! Since you're doing online studies, try not to get distracted by other websites during your study time. You can download chrome extensions that will block websites (or extensions for other internet browsers), so that's helpful to stay on track 

• Love 1