Forums Rules Staff Calendar Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
Sign in to follow this  
lonelytraveler

Does GPA matter for your field?

I was able to get a fair amount of work experience related to my major through being a contractor. My major is accounting and employers seemed to be more focused on their candidates having a solid work history, strong verbal/written communication skills, and leadership qualities than technical skills.

My work experience consist of customer service and office-related roles.

Of course there are GPA cutoff for many of the accounting firms, but I have seen people get over this by having work experience and networking.

Edited by lonelytraveler

Networking and who you know triumphs all in the end.. you could be the smartest mf to apply to a job and Paul who has no experience and who's gpa ending gpa is lower than yours will still get the job because of string pulling.

• Like 1

i mean, doesn't gpa usually only matter for maybe your first job anyway, and even then not for all jobs? someone with years of experience and good references will always be picked over someone who only had a high gpa for higher level positions. 

No, I work in the I.T. industry 

Experience > Certs > Education 

Nope! 

You don't really need a degree in journalism in small towns to write for a newspaper either. I also studied photography and it doesn't matter in that one either. But it helps to have an education in both.