Please use your display name or email address to log in! User names are defunct. If your display name had special characters, log in with your email address and update your display name asap. ×
Forums Rules Staff Calendar Leaderboard Activity Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
YilingLaozu

[NB] Netizens take sajaegi suspicion over Kim Nayoung and Yang Dail's song beating out IU and 'Frozen 2' on Melon

Article: "They beat IU?" Kim Nayoung and Yang Dail under suspicion of sajaegi -> Rhymer retorts

Source: Sports Chosun via Nate

1. [+1,990, -35] What's odd is that all these emotional songs about break ups and getting drunk and calling your ex are taking over the charts and yet none of them are attending the year-end ceremonies

2. [+1,670, -57] IU's song has 130,000 likes... their song has 12,000 likes.. ㅋㅋ and yet they beat IU ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

3. [+1,343, -39] Kim Nayoung was the start of all this ㅋㅋㅋ

4. [+190, -4] I knew something was fishy when I saw their song hitting #1 at midnight Sunday ㅋㅋㅋ so who exactly was listening to their song that night? ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

5. [+168, -8] To all of the kids defending this, do you not have a brain? It's not about the song being good, it's about the fact that it's unbelievable that they beat out IU and 'Frozen 2'. I'd understand if their song was somewhere in the top 10 but how do you beat out IU and 'Frozen 2'?

6. [+167, -4] Sorry but who are either of them? And they really want us to believe that they got #1 on the chart by word of mouth promotion alone? Doesn't that take time to promote? And yet they won in half a day? ㅋㅋㅋ

7. [+134, -4] It's extremely hard to get #1 on the digital charts lately. Even Twice didn't get it with their comeback and yet these two did? Especially with IU on the charts? Melon needs to get rid of their live time chart because this is ridiculous.

8. [+133, -1] I was going to give them the benefit of the doubt by thinking maybe people discovered the song late and are realizing how good it is but it was released on December 1st... hmm

9. [+102, -2] Ugh, this is gross ㅋㅋ Musicians? ㅋㅋㅋ Please call yourselves machines ㅋㅋㅋ How can you call yourselves musicians when you're selling your souls like this ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

10. [+86, -2] If they're going to cheat, at least be less obvious about it. Their views aren't even out yet but they're climbing the graphs already. So who exactly is listening then? Obviously machines.

dail2.jpg

Source: Naver

1. [+7,633, -138] "At the end of the day, it is up to the public whether they believe that Kim Nayoung and Yang Dail's songs are worthy of beating IU and 'Frozen 2'" ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

2. [+4,305, -98] So if Yang Dail is big enough to beat out 'Frozen 2' and IU, that means he's big enough to go on a nationwide tour, right? Because I'll be the first to buy tickets the minute they go on sale. He knows he's going to have to at least get a place in Seoul to seat 10,000, right? Out of respect for the people who've been listening to his music all this time?

3. [+3,628, -48] Again with the legal action ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ can we please take some action over your shame too

4. [+3,171, -140] How exactly does their agency think people are able to find and listen to a song that no one knows?

5. [+3,015, -269] ㅋㅋㅋㅋ Beating IU is just not plausible

6. [+1,636, -60] ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ Upvote if you haven't listened to Kim Nayoung's song even once~~~~~

7. [+925, -8] There was nothing "word of mouth" about this, there wasn't even enough time to spread word of mouth because the song was released at 6 pm and hit #1 at midnight that night ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ Kim Nayoung should hold her next concert in Jamshil

8. [+790, -7] A song that got 150 likes on Instagram managed to beat out IU, 'Frozen 2', and EXO on Melon? Oh sh*t.

Source http://netizenbuzz.blogspot.com/2019/12/netizens-take-sajaegi-suspicion-over.html?m=1

I mean random one hit wonders do exist and can (seemingly) come out of nowhere, so I'm personally very cautious of throwing around sajaegi accusations. Usually there's a good explanation tho. Like not too long ago I found out that some of the random songs by unknown artists that came out of nowhere and topped Billboard's Hot100 this year, like that Dance Monkey song, became viral sensations thanks to Tiktok. Which is not a platform I'm familiar with, so to me the whole situation was just random. Melon has around 5M subscribers and IU currently only has 700K ULs every day, so it technically is possible for another song to top hers, even if it seems unlikely. But if it is sajaegi I hope Melon catches it.

• Like 4

[+190, -4] I knew something was fishy when I saw their song hitting #1 at midnight Sunday ㅋㅋㅋ so who exactly was listening to their song that night? ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

It's always the most suspicious thing, since GP is sleeping this time, and only the artists with big fandoms can rise at night/early morning before 8am (9-10am in the week-end)

• Like 1
  • Tea 2

OT: i feel like all this bad publicity is helping these small artist. people keep talking about them everywhere will make people check them out

As a Uaena, i find this ridiculous. Nayoung had a hit recently and Yang da il has been popular for a while, it's not weird people check the song. Also what's weird about a song reaching #1 at midnight? It counts the streams from 11 to 12, are you going to tell me you all are sleeping at that hour seriously? For real i feel people just claim sajaegi for anything they see, when i saw they released a collab i expected it to chart high even before it debuted on the charts.

Edited by juanlag
  • Like 6

34 minutes ago, Just Peachy said:

I mean random one hit wonders do exist and can (seemingly) come out of nowhere, so I'm personally very cautious of throwing around sajaegi accusations. Usually there's a good explanation tho. Like not too long ago I found out that some of the random songs by unknown artists that came out of nowhere and topped Billboard's Hot100 this year, like that Dance Monkey song, became viral sensations thanks to Tiktok. Which is not a platform I'm familiar with, so to me the whole situation was just random. Melon has around 5M subscribers and IU currently only has 700K ULs every day, so it technically is possible for another song to top hers, even if it seems unlikely. But if it is sajaegi I hope Melon catches it.

Random one hit wonder is vastly different from having a song drop at 6PM and rise to #1 around midnight when you don’t have a fandom to back it up nor sufficient word of mouth/radio/viral platform exposure etc. 

I don’t think ppl have a problem with random song rise so much as it is about it rising so quickly. And being #1 during fandom hours. 

But anyway this seems to be an open secret it’s not really a case of IF sejaegi is happening but the fact that Melon don’t have any sufficient security measure in place to actually curb it. This can’t be an easy tech problem to solve. For example this is similar to people buying Instagram or twitter followers, what can twitter or Instagram do about it? There are factories of ppl who’s job is to make things viral and follow people. This is very similar. 

Edited by haikyuuboo
  • Like 7
  • Dislike 1

from wikipedia:

Kim Na-young (Korean김나영; born December 31, 1991)[1] is a South Korean singer who gained immense popularity through social media exposure on New Year's Eve 2015, when her single "What If It Was Going" topped Melon's (South Korea's biggest music streaming site) music charts, holding the top place for five days, and high spots on other streaming sites.

She's managed to top the charts before back in 2015, idk why they act like she's some nugu

Edited by A Hamster Named Loneliness

3 minutes ago, A Hamster Named Loneliness said:

from wikipedia:

She's managed to top the charts before back in 2015, idk why they act like she's some nugu

I don’t think people would have cared as much if it debuted and hit #1 in the next few days like many other songs have done so. It’s that it did so in 6 hours and when you have fandom steaming happening. 

But anyway I wouldn’t know either way. 

Edited by haikyuuboo

1 minute ago, A Hamster Named Loneliness said:

from wikipedia:

Becuse she accused with sajaegi with that song too

• Clown 1

1 minute ago, haikyuuboo said:

I don’t think people would have cared as much if it debuted and hit #1 in the next few days like many other songs have done so. It’s that it did so in 6 hours and when you have fandom steaming happening. 

But anyway I wouldn’t know either way. 

Most of the songs that go to #1 hit it the first day, even popular acts like taeyeon and bb4 have to wait some hours to top melon. Also a lot of soloists have been accused of sajaegi with songs that topped the charts after some days because people said it didn't make any sense that the song rose later, so what do soloists exactly have to do for people to realize this is fair?

Also 2 things, 1, Yang da il even sang an OST for Hotel del luna, he is really popular right now. Also if this is a thing of Melon, why is the song topping Genie too? Do ALL the charts have an agreement to help some nugus? And when the song will be #1 or #2 in the gaon download chart what is people going to say, is Gaon helping sajaegi too? Are the downloads fake? All the sajaegi argument has too many flaws...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, haikyuuboo said:

Is it so lmao. 

Yes

https://www.koreaboo.com/article/netizens-suspect-sajaegi-with-kim-na-youngs-easy-climb-on-music-charts/

This is her third or fourth time accused with sajaegi iirc

Edited by zella
  • Dislike 2

I mean if koreans themselves are complaining about it and celebrities such as Park Kyung are going as far as to fight in court for it if they have to I think it's pretty obvious that something shady is going on

• Like 7
  • Dislike 2

36 minutes ago, haikyuuboo said:

Random one hit wonder is vastly different from having a song drop at 6PM and rise to #1 around midnight when you don’t have a fandom to back it up nor sufficient word of mouth/radio/viral platform exposure etc. 

I don’t think ppl have a problem with random song rise so much as it is about it rising so quickly. And being #1 during fandom hours. 

But anyway this seems to be an open secret it’s not really a case of IF sejaegi is happening but the fact that Melon don’t have any sufficient security measure in place to actually curb it. This can’t be an easy tech problem to solve. For example this is similar to people buying Instagram or twitter followers, what can twitter or Instagram do about it? There are factories of ppl who’s job is to make things viral and follow people. This is very similar. 

I wouldn't really say that's vastly different. Random one hit wonders are all so unpredictable and atypical that standard chart logic like fandom power, artist popularity and time of release can't be applied. They always seem to come out of nowhere to most people, but as I said there's often a good explanation. Like again in the case of Dance Monkey it turned out to be the large but somewhat niche Tiktok community streaming the song to the point it topped the US charts. Much like in this case, everyone not part of the Tiktok community couldn't understand why that song topped the charts, they thought it was weird and fishy too. For all we know the song could have gone viral in a niche community in Korea right now.

Sajaegi has long been rumored to be an open secret yes, but I personally don't really think it's right to accuse a specific artist of sajaegi when there's no proof. But seems quite a few Knetz have already decided they're guilty until proven innocent.

Edited by Just Peachy

6. [+167, -4] Sorry but who are either of them? And they really want us to believe that they got #1 on the chart by word of mouth promotion alone? Doesn't that take time to promote? And yet they won in half a day? ㅋㅋㅋ

Uh Yang Da Il was part of the collab cover group for g.o.d.'s Road together with IU, Henry, and Jo Hyunah? Also he sung one of the Hotel del Luna OST

Edited by melancholic autumn

11 minutes ago, Just Peachy said:

I wouldn't really say that's vastly different. Random one hit wonders are all so unpredictable and atypical that standard chart logic like fandom power, artist popularity and time of release can't be applied. They always seem to come out of nowhere to most people, but as I said there's often a good explanation. Like again in the case of Dance Monkey it turned out to be the large but somewhat niche Tiktok community streaming the song to the point it topped the US charts. Much like in this case, everyone not part of the Tiktok community couldn't understand why that song topped the charts, they thought it was weird and fishy too. For all we know the song could have gone viral in a niche community in Korea right now.

Sajaegi has long been rumored to be an open secret yes, but I personally don't really think it's right to accuse a specific artist of sajaegi when there's no proof. But seems quite a few Knetz have already decided they're guilty until proven innocent.

Point. I’m not accusing her I don’t even know her. but I want to emphasis there may never be proof because Melon have no checks in place. In that case it really does comes down to sentiments  

21 minutes ago, juanlag said:

Most of the songs that go to #1 hit it the first day, even popular acts like taeyeon and bb4 have to wait some hours to top melon. Also a lot of soloists have been accused of sajaegi with songs that topped the charts after some days because people said it didn't make any sense that the song rose later, so what do soloists exactly have to do for people to realize this is fair?

Also 2 things, 1, Yang da il even sang an OST for Hotel del luna, he is really popular right now. Also if this is a thing of Melon, why is the song topping Genie too? Do ALL the charts have an agreement to help some nugus? And when the song will be #1 or #2 in the gaon download chart what is people going to say, is Gaon helping sajaegi too? Are the downloads fake? All the sajaegi argument has too many flaws...

I don’t know I’m just saying the sentiments expressed here. People do not believe that this person has the required public exposure that ppl like taeyeon or BB4 or IU or idol groups with huge fandoms have to hit #1 in such a short time. 

Gaon just counts the streams and downloads from other sources they’re a reporting company that depend on the charts which are being manipulated. 

I can fully believe that some acts do sejaegi using factory farms etc which ones I can’t really say. I can only infer from what translated articles say. 

Edited by haikyuuboo
  • Clown 1

19 minutes ago, Lugoose said:

I mean if koreans themselves are complaining about it and celebrities such as Park Kyung are going as far as to fight in court for it if they have to I think it's pretty obvious that something shady is going on

It’s pretty obvious. But like I keep repeating melon may simply not be technologically advanced enough to detect say factory farm streams from regular ones. So asking for ‘proof’ is futile as well. 

This all comes to what this comment says

1 hour ago, haikyuuboo said:

1. [+7,633, -138] "At the end of the day, it is up to the public whether they believe that Kim Nayoung and Yang Dail's songs are worthy of beating IU and 'Frozen 2'" ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

• Like 2

IU's song is like 2 weeks old with 700k unique listeners. As for Frozen's song it's barely in the top3...

Idk if they are big enough to get #1 in few hours but those comparisons are not a good argument against them

Edited by puellarum generatio

I did some research. These are the real-time performances of Kim Nayoung’s 2018 and 2019 singles. (Please note also that no OST she released from 2017 onwards got above 43 in the charts.)

’Each of us’. 2018.05.11. Peak 38 on Gaon Weekly:

Spoiler

spacer.png

‘I can’t say that’. 2018.11.15. Didn’t chart on Gaon Weekly:

Spoiler

spacer.png

‘Incorrect answer’ feat. Lee Minhyuk of BtoB. 2018.12.30. Peak 80 on Gaon Weekly:

Spoiler

spacer.png

Now we come to the two 2019 releases.

’To be honest’. 2019.06.09. Peak 1 on Gaon Weekly:

Spoiler

spacer.png

‘Goodbye list’ feat. Yang Dail. 2019.12.01. Just released. Otherwise known as ‘Things we must keep apart ‘.

Spoiler

spacer.png

As you can see, there’s a drastic change in behaviour. All of a sudden she’s become a massive digital monster! Her last two songs have been released at 6pm on a Sunday night and immediately rocket up the charts. Tens of thousands of Koreans are perched on Melon on a Sunday night waiting for her songs to release so they can immediately listen to it - all the way up to 1am in the morning. And luckily for her it just so happens that on Monday morning when the general public wakes up they see her songs sitting at number 1 on the chart, out of curiosity they listen to the song to see if they like it - and that’s how you get a ‘hit song’.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, puellarum generatio said:

IU's song is like 2 weeks old with 700k unique listeners. As for Frozen's song it's barely in the top3...

Idk if they are big enough to get #1 in few hours but those comparisons are not a good argument against them

what do you mean, on Saturday Into the Unknown was literally in the #3 spot on Melon (at the time, Blueming was #1 and Noel's song was #2). 

Edited by A Hamster Named Loneliness

25 minutes ago, A Hamster Named Loneliness said:

what do you mean, on Saturday Into the Unknown was literally in the #3 spot on Melon (at the time, Blueming was #1 and Noel's song was #2). 

yes, that's what I mean by barely

I think right now it's difficult because a lot of people don't know how Melon's streaming programming work but keep on insisting that the technical solutions are easy. I also don't have much technical knowledge but I think the only way to ensure that there are real people streaming behind each device is to tie each user account with their national ID (But I don't think this is right nor legal because of the higher privacy issue, moreover Melon is not a government agency). Tying it with IP is still possible/easy to bypass by using VPN. Melon has actually tried to tie it with Korean phone number and I think I see some success on that but if I am not mistaken if you have the old software you won't have to verify your number and I am also not sure on how easy it is in Korea to get more than one personal numbers.

About the suspicions on Kim Na-young's agency in tampering with Melon's system to increase her songs' rank in the digital chart (because they are under one chaebol I think), I think the Ministry can most likely do another investigation because if there is management actions like this, there is most likely paper trails. 

I have stated it in another thread but for users who think that Melon has not been doing enough to prevent Sajaegi in its software/app, the solution for them is to un-install the app and stop renewing their subscriptions in the company streaming service. I think this will be more effective to encourage Melon to change for the better than complaining in Naver articles of the sajaegi. If they still want to use Melon service and they think they have good technical solutions for Melon in the issue of possible sajaegi, I think they could also approach Melon to offer their ideas (possibly and hopefully they can get monetary rewards from Melon too if their solutions are effective and feasible).

• Like 1