Please use your display name or email address to log in! User names are defunct. If your display name had special characters, log in with your email address and update your display name asap. ×
Forums Rules Staff Calendar Leaderboard Activity Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Block-Busted

Was it a right choice to screen 'My Neighbor Totoro' and 'Grave of the Fireflies' as double feature(s)?

Both are Studio Ghibli anime films that came out on the exact same day... and they were screened as double features... even though they're tonally polar opposite.

Do you think screening THESE TWO as double features was a right choice? Why or why not?

these films have nothing in common except for the studio...that's a really weird choice

Ah, no. Those two are way too different thematically to be a double feature. They're both brilliant but Grave of the Fireflies is brutal and sad whereas Totoro is a delight.

I feel the double screening was smart because Studio Ghibli could use this information to determine, based on feedback received, the types of films that would best satisfy the interests and needs of their audiences when planning for future projects. I would like to believe the simultaneous release would have raised interest. By setting a contrast, Studio Ghibli not only could show they were versatile in their offerings, but allow for both films to be subsequently appreciated by keen viewers.

Edited by Chuan
  • Like 1

I think the contrast of both movies makes people think differently about each one of them. I think it was unexpected but not really bad choice.

Yes. In fact, it was a brilliant way to fund both of the films and to guarantee an audience. It had allowed both Miyazaki and Takahata to adapt their stories into faithful, feature-length films that later achieved worldwide acclaim. 

As a double feature, the contrasting theme and tone of each film bolstered the audience for the other. After the bleakness of GOTF, Totoro was able lighten the mood enough for people to appreciate both films.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Wade-kun said:

Yes. In fact, it was a brilliant way to fund both of the films and to guarantee an audience. It had allowed both Miyazaki and Takahata to adapt their stories into faithful, feature-length films that later achieved worldwide acclaim. 

As a double feature, the contrasting theme and tone of each film bolstered the audience for the other. After the bleakness of GOTF, Totoro was able lighten the mood enough for people to appreciate both films.

But what if Grave of the Fireflies was screened AFTER My Neighbor Totoro? My impression is that there was a 50:50 chance of one being screened after another and vice-versa.

1 hour ago, Block-Busted said:

But what if Grave of the Fireflies was screened AFTER My Neighbor Totoro? My impression is that there was a 50:50 chance of one being screened after another and vice-versa.

Actually idk if the sequence matters. To me, both films have more similarities than initially apparent. Maybe I've been reading too many Totoro conspiracy theories (and they did change the way I see the film). 

I don't have an answer to your ques bc the double bill was actually a dismal failure in Japan. I still don't think it was a wrong move tho bc let's be honest, neither film could have done spectacularly on its own, back in the days. It'd also be a pity if one of these films has to be tossed for not having sufficient financial backing. 

• Like 1