translation Chinese entertainment

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 renn

renn

Senior Idol

• Translator
  • 986 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:49 PM (Edited by renn, 19 May 2016 - 09:32 PM.)

Greetings!

Hi all. This General Request has reopened! Unfortunately, only the C-team is available to take on requests so only requests for CHINESE ENTERTAINMENT translation will be considered based on the outline given below. Please note that not all requests will be accepted/translated due to the rules given in section(3) and section(6) as well as the availability of translators. This outline is subject to change and we welcome constructive feedback~

1. Timeline
For now, there won't be a strictly timed opening and closing of the request period. This means you guys are free to submit requests regardless of what day of the week it is until we deem it appropriate to close requests. Notice of closure will be posted both within the thread and in the OP; any requests that fall outside the open period will not be considered. You will need to resubmit your request once we have cleared our plates and opened requests again.

Since we're going to be translating a variety of items (see section 3: request details) that require different amounts of effort/time, there is no set time frame within which requests will be fulfilled. Once we've gotten a feel for things, we will provide you with an estimate of what is reasonable.

2. Request Cap
We are capping the maximum number of in-the-works (i.e. yet to be fulfilled) requests from a single individual at 2 at any given time. This means if you've made two successfully accepted requests, you cannot put in a new request until at least one of those two has been completed.

3. Request Details

What we will translate:

Please provide all available source links

• News articles or editorial pieces related to C-entertainment — You must provide the text + source link.
  • Comments on news articles or editorial pieces related to C-entertainment — You must provide source link.
  • Magazine interviews — You must provide either a) the text + source; or b) the scans (must be legible) + source.
  • Posts on Weibo and other blogging platforms — We will reject requests a) of personal posts on fan blogs; b) of what we deem to be malicious posts; c) at our discretion (see section 6: disclaimers).

What we won't accept here:

• Song lyrics — We will take these requests only in the respective lyrics translation request thread.
  • Already translated items
  • Videos — This includes but is not limited to news segments, interviews, and fancams.
  • TV shows, dramas, movies, mangas
  • Anything unrelated to the entertainment scene

4. Request Form

Make your request by filling out this request form and posting it in this thread:

[b]Username[/b]: 
[b]Request[/b] [b]category[/b] (e.g. news article): 
[b]Content[/b] [b]to be translated[/b] (post the text here): 
[b]Source[/b] (link): 

Example

Username: KoS
Request category (e.g. news article): #4 - other blogging platform.
Content to be translated (post the text here): The steps to bake this cake. 
Source (link): link

Please fill out the respective forms for each item you request. We will let you know explicitly if a request has been accepted or rejected. If the grounds for rejection are technical (e.g. you gave a source link that does not work), you may try again. If it is instead due to the content, that rejection is final.

5. Credit
These translations are done as a favor for the requesters and the general public, so please respect the hard work that the translators have put in! Do no claim as your own. Do not edit the translations. Always give that particular translator full credit, indicate that he/she is from OneHallyu, and link back!

6. Disclaimers

• Translators may reject or choose to not accept requests at their own discretion.
  • Translators are accountable only for the accuracy of the translations, not for the truthfulness/reliability of the content translated!
  • Requests will be monitored and deemed whether if it's suitable for acceptance.
  • Please note due to our short handed of Translators, turnabout time will more often than not be more than 1 week at the earliest. We thank you for your understanding. 
  • Have an idea? Questions? Suggestions? Feel free to PM your thoughts to King of Spades
  • Interested in becoming a Translator for OneHallyu? PM King of Spades for more info! 

#2 renn

renn

Senior Idol

• Translator
  • 986 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:53 PM (Edited by renn, 19 May 2016 - 09:31 PM.)

Accepted requests

#3 kass

kass

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:03 PM

Username: kass
Request category (e.g. news article): fancam
Content to be translated (text or video): video
Source (link; if applicable):

did I do this right :imstupid:

it's exo but they're speaking chinese.

#4 llyx

llyx

~脱脱♥奇奇~

• PipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:30 AM (Edited by llyx, 17 August 2014 - 11:18 PM.)

Username: kass
Request category (e.g. news article): fancam

did I do this right :imstupid:

it's exo but they're speaking chinese.

Request accepted! Yes you did this right  :ohbi:  

(p.s I will edit this post with the translation soon! It will probably be here by tomorrow :) )

TRANSLATION

Lay: (referring to D.O's drama) I hope you will love this drama!

Chanyeol: It's okay, it's okay. I love you all!

Sehun & D.O: Don't worry, I love you!

Lay: Very good, but you have to watch it, okay? 

Lay: I need to be more blunt today. I think the connection with the fans is, how to say, the most exceptional existence. I am forever grateful with the love you give. Thank you everyone!

Luhan: Seeing how the other members are dancing and performing so hard for you all, I feel really bad. I hope later on, when my leg has healed as quickly as possible, we will give you an even better perform. I will work hard. Thanks. I love you all!

[T/N] I'm not sure if Chanyeol and some of the other Korean members are saying ‘It's okay' because of D.O's drama 'It's Okay; it's Love', or they are just randomly popping random Chinese. 

#5 kass

kass

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:35 AM

Request accepted! Yes you did this right  :ohbi:  

(p.s I will edit this post with the translation soon! It will probably be here by tomorrow :) )

TRANSLATION

Lay: (referring to D.O's drama) I hope you will love this drama!

Chanyeol: It's okay, it's okay. I love you all!

Sehun & D.O: Don't worry, I love you!

Lay: Very good, but you have to watch it, okay? 

Lay: I need to be more blunt today. I think the connection with the fans is, how to say, the most exceptional existence. I am forever grateful with the love you give. Thank you everyone!

Luhan: Seeing how the other members are dancing and performing so hard for you all, I feel really bad. I hope later on, when my leg has healed as quickly as possible, we will give you an even better perform. I will work hard. Thanks. I love you all!

[T/N] I'm not sure if Chanyeol and some of the other Korean members are saying ‘It's okay' because of D.O's drama 'It's Okay; it's Love', or they are just randomly popping random Chinese. 

omg thank you so muchhh  :ahmagah:  :chu:

LOL yea I think you're right. they're just talking about the drama.. I've been fooled. I thought something bad happened bc of kai's face  :donthinkso:  

#6 llyx

llyx

~脱脱♥奇奇~

• PipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:54 AM

omg thank you so muchhh  :ahmagah:  :chu:

LOL yea I think you're right. they're just talking about the drama.. I've been fooled. I thought something bad happened bc of kai's face  :donthinkso:  

You're welcome!! 

Hehehe and the towel over his head like a priest  :hurr:  I guess he's just out of breath and tired. 

#7 hess

hess

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:30 AM

Could I use this thread to ask about the meaning of certain words, phrases, or sections of a video clip? I can mostly understand conversational Mandarin, but sometimes I can't understand certain slang, idioms, jokes/stories using wordplay, etc. and I can't find explanations through a google search.

#8 King of Spades

King of Spades

Smelly Overlord ♞

• smellllieee
  • 2,032 posts
  • Location臺灣

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:51 AM

Could I use this thread to ask about the meaning of certain words, phrases, or sections of a video clip? I can mostly understand conversational Mandarin, but sometimes I can't understand certain slang, idioms, jokes/stories using wordplay, etc. and I can't find explanations through a google search.

Yup, that is absolutely fine :) 

#9 hess

hess

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:13 AM

Yup, that is absolutely fine :)

Awesome! 

#10 hess

hess

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:22 AM (Edited by hess, 24 August 2014 - 01:35 AM.)

Username: hess
Request category (e.g. news article): BTS

Just had a few questions about specific words, at 4:34-4:39, they say 排something a couple times. The subtitles are a little blurry, I can't make out the 2nd word, what's the word, and what does the phrase mean?

And then at 2:15 and 4:09, they say the word 瞎. I don't understand the way they're using this word, just get the idea that it's a negative connotation. 

Last word, 2:19, ㄋㄠ, is this supposed to mean something like well-behaved? And out of curiosity, why is this in ㄅㄆㄇㄈ?

Thanks to anyone that can help me out. I'm planning on putting translated captions to this video, should I give credit in the description box?

#11 alllysone

alllysone

S♡NE

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts
  • Locationmediaplaying for Tiffany

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:59 AM (Edited by allysone, 25 August 2014 - 12:29 PM.)

Username: hess
Request category (e.g. news article): BTS

Just had a few questions about specific words, at 4:34-4:39, they say 排something a couple times. The subtitles are a little blurry, I can't make out the 2nd word, what's the word, and what does the phrase mean?

And then at 2:15 and 4:09, they say the word 瞎. I don't understand the way they're using this word, just get the idea that it's a negative connotation. 

Last word, 2:19, ㄋㄠ, is this supposed to mean something like well-behaved? And out of curiosity, why is this in ㄅㄆㄇㄈ?

Thanks to anyone that can help me out. I'm planning on putting translated captions to this video, should I give credit in the description box?

At 4:34-4:39, Selina is saying 排櫅 (Pái jī) means deliberately leaving a certain person out, outcasting him/her.

The word  literally means blind. It can be used as some sort of slang. In this context, it means doing things blindly/without much thought. 

I can't help you with the bolded parts as I do not speak Taiwanese.  :) I will try to ask the other translators and get back to you. 

(SHE used to be my favourite girl group btw) 

King of Spades, on 26 Aug 2014 - 01:18 AM, said:

Those are actually bopomofo, or 注音符號~  Bopomofo is used during elementary in Taiwan to help kids learn how to read Chinese characters~ ;D 

The ㄋㄠ is a Taiwanese slang. It means ㄋㄠ 種 - to call someone/thing that usually is used when the object is being a coward. And it's written in zhuyin fuhao because there's no Chinese character equivalent for it. Well, there are few potentials but they're not 'official' so it's just written in zhuyin. 

#12 hess

hess

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:29 PM

At 4:34-4:39, Selina is saying 排櫅 (Pái jī) [/size]means deliberately leaving a certain person out, outcasting him/her.

The word [/size]瞎[/size] [/size]literally means blind. It can be used as some sort of slang. In this context, it means doing things blindly/without much thought. [/size]

[/size]
I can't help you with the bolded parts as I do not speak Taiwanese.  :)[/size] I[/size] will try to ask the other translators and get back to you. [/size]

(SHE used to be my favourite girl group btw haha)[/size]

Thank you thank you thank you! No wonder I couldn't look that word up, I thought the radical was 扌.

And yeah, I just recently started watching S.H.E. vids and found out that they're hilarious! Subbing some stuff here and there since they barely have anything subbed.

#13 alllysone

alllysone

S♡NE

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:31 PM

Thank you thank you thank you! No wonder I couldn't look that word up, I thought the radical was 扌.

And yeah, I just recently started watching S.H.E. vids and found out that they're hilarious! Subbing some stuff here and there since they barely have anything subbed.

Ella + Selina is like the funniest combo in the Cpop industry :ahmagah:

#14 hess

hess

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:41 PM

Ella + Selina is like the funniest combo in the Cpop industry :ahmagah:

I know right? It's hilarious that they haven't changed much even after so many years and even after they're both married. 

And tell KoS thanks for me!

#15 renn

renn

Senior Idol

• Translator
  • 986 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:50 PM

You're actually right about the radical; it is 扌. The word is supposed to be 擠.

Also, 瞎 is also used for its Taiwanese slang meaning here, I believe. It is a general negative slang that may be used to mean stupid, inferior, etc.

#16 hess

hess

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:49 PM (Edited by hess, 25 August 2014 - 09:49 PM.)

You're actually right about the radical; it is 扌. The word is supposed to be 擠.

Also, 瞎 is also used for its Taiwanese slang meaning here, I believe. It is a general negative slang that may be used to mean stupid, inferior, etc.

Oooh, actually I recognize the character then. Lol, of course I would only after the fact. 

And thanks for the explanation! There's really not much where you can look up definitions of chinese/taiwanese slang. there should be an urbandictionary, lol.

#17 Ron Swanson

Ron Swanson

Anti-Government, Anti-Taxes, Anti-Vegetarians

• Hall OH Fame
  • 14,123 posts
  • LocationBallroom

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:02 PM

Username: Babysnatcher
Request category: News article
Content to be translated: text (or just the whole article? am I doing this right idk)
Source: http://www.chinatime...07002136-260404

#18 alllysone

alllysone

S♡NE

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 02:40 AM

Content to be translated: text (or just the whole article? am I doing this right idk)

I would not be translating word for word, but just the main gist of the article. 

Headline: Mainland version of AKB48 - Girl Group 1931 formed.

Content: Mainland's YY Entertainment, used Japan's AKB48 as a model, creating China's first homegrown girl idol group, 1931. Two different units, the Red and White teams of 18 members in total are formed, with a "Sporty schoolgirls" look, releasing their first photos. 

There are currently plans to invest 5 million RMB into the group. 

Right now, the 1st batch is divided into the Red and White groups. For each performance, the number of girls performing would be 9. In the future, 1931 would have 2nd, 3rd batch and so on, with plans to recruit and expand on the number of units. However, the number of girls in each group and the number of girls performing will remind the same. 

1931 would follow the "grooming" expansion route, with its overseas recruitment drive attracting 40,000 hopefuls. The girls went through about 3 months of intense training. 

There are plans to film the 1st MV in October, and to perform at Guangzhou, where their performance theater is located. 

The way the group works is based on Japanese idol group, AKB48, with some people even calling it the "Village/Rural version of AKB48" (literally means rural/village, but in this case, it means the poor man version or the more interior copy of something) 

YY Entertainment has plans for 1931 to have their own personal performance theatre. about the size of half a soccer field. 1931 would aim to perform 5 shows every week, with its year end performance show exceeding 48 shows, with the company claiming that the audience numbers would exceed 150,000. However, many people within the entertainment industry believe that this would be a difficult goal to achieve.

#19 renn

renn

Senior Idol

• Translator
  • 986 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:10 AM

I didn't point it out to the others above since the earlier requests involved videos (where "Content" and "Source" were equivalent) but the original intention of this request form was for the requester to copy and paste the entire section of text you want translated under "Content to be translated", such that should a translator not be able to access the webpage or some other problem arise, nothing external to OH would affect the accessibility of the content.

...But well maybe I need to rethink this lol.

#20 ANTI-IKON

ANTI-IKON

Global Superstar

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,669 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:57 PM

Username: 4N0NYM0US
Request category (e.g. news article): Not sure
Content to be translated (post the text or the video here):

Spoiler

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OH!Snap, translation, Chinese entertainment

Up, Up and Away!