Forums Rules Staff Calendar Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
Sign in to follow this  
krystalice

I need some advice about my college major

Change major?   

9 members have voted

1. 1. Should i change my major or stay in computer science

• Change major
    • Stay in computer science

I'm majoring in computer science and I absolutely cant take it anymore, i hate it so much. My  parents are forcing me to do this major when all i wanted to do was major in social work or anthropology. Its not that i dont think i can handle the work load, its just that i despise doing it and learning about it. Im in my 2nd year now and i really want to graduate on time and im scared if i change my major im going to 1. be behind/not grad on time 2. disappoint my parents and 3. have a lower salary in the future. These calc classes are also really killing my gpa and I try my best with it (ive always been more of an english person than math). Do you all think i should stay with the major or change it? i really tried my hardest to stay interested and work hard in it but im at my limit. I know a lot of people are either going to be like youre a baby just stay in it or will be like just change out of it if it affects your happiness, but its really easier said then done. Sorry for how long this was.

I think you should change your major why continue doing something you despise? You may not want to disappoint your parents but at the end of the day it's your future. You'll regret not changing your major later in life 

• Like 1

finishing a degree in a major you despise won't help you in the long run

because at the end, you'll be qualified to continue to do what you hate as a career and not want you actually want to do. I've seen so many people finish a degree in something they don't like because of their parents and then after college they never want to return to what they studied again - meaning their degree is practically useless. 

Just think about what you think will be best for you for your future ^.^ 

• Like 1

Go with what you feel and change your major. If you have no interest, you won't be motivated to study or pursue a career related to comp science. It's never a good idea to follow what others expect of you especially what your parents demand. Ignore what they think and show them what you really can do haha. In my opinion, it's not late to change your major your second year. If it means being behind and not graduating in time, you can take summer classes or choose to enroll in more courses. Talk to your counselor about switching and planning classes for your new major if you decide upon that

Edited by Cheese_it
  • Like 1

1) depending on how far along you are in your program, taking longer to graduate is better than killing your GPA by struggling with required comp sci classes that you hate 

2) even if your parents are disappointed, your happiness should really be top priority.  your life is your own, and if you always follow the dreams/whims of others, you’ll always be resentful or wistful that you never listened to your gut 

3) salary is tough to gauge.  yes, generally computer-related or IT jobs tend to make more money but someone working in that field who has absolutely zero passion for it isn’t going to be shooting to the top of the promotion ranks anytime soon.  you’d likely be in the low to mid salary range of a well-paying job.  however, if you go with something that you’re really passionate about, you can earn recognition and esteem in a field that may seem “low-paying” at first...

to illustrate my point: a prolific/respected writer can make more money than a mediocre engineer 

regardless of what path you choose, i hope you find happiness either way! :) 

• Like 1

I'm leaving law school to start studying edition (editorial). I didn't want to dissapoint my parents either but just like you I was at my limit, in the end they understood that it was making me unhappy. The salary was a big issue for me too but there's no point in studying something you hate.

• Like 1

I was in a similar situation. I was studying computer engineering but I hated it so I changed my major after 2 years. However my parents supported my choice so I didn't suffer there. I decided to study visual arts and I'm now on my last year :), I can tell you for sure I don't regret it one bit even if yes the future is scary. At the time, when I decided to leave my first major I felt like a loser and just really lost but that forced me to really think about life in general because when we are in school we tend to just go forward without really thinking much about what happens after it. I would really think carefully and investigate the careers that interest you to make the best choice.

To tell you another story, a friend of mine was studying medicine and after four years decided to change her major. She now tells me she regrets taking so long to change it because she was scared but at the end she lost more time thinking she would learn to love her major later, but that later never arrived...

• Like 1

People giving politically correct rubbish as usual. 🙄 It's easy to tell people to change their majors when your future isn't the one at stake.

Fact of Life 1: You don't have to love your major or your future job. That's why alot of people have something called a hobby. Your job's main purpose is to pay the bills. Loving it is a bonus not the basis.

Fact of Life 2: Social work/Anthropology degrees are close to worthless in the job market. Sure there are jobs that look out for these specific degrees but they are on the whole very niche areas. The chances of you getting into these jobs is negligible. What is more likely is that you get into a job that is just looking for a degree and these jobs have low pay and low prospects. In addition, people with technical skillsets like computer science are always going to be more valued than people with non-technical ones like social work. To put it simply, you need a computer science degree to be a computer engineer but you don't need a social work degree to do most social work jobs.

Fact of Life 3: The grass always looks greener on the other side. You know you hate computer science since you went through 2 years of it, but do you really know you love social work/anthropology? How can you be so sure you would definitely love it there? What if it turns out you hate it too and you just wasted 2 years of your time getting into a degree you not only hate but has lower prospects than the previous one?

• Like 2
  • Clown 3

I'm currently studying software engineer, close enough. I'll say most students hate those math and physics classes and love maybe half of their computer science classes. Obviously, not every thing will be useful, some concepts are out dated, some teachers are bad, some assignment are not well done,  some classes completely irrelevant, it's like high school, we're mostly motivated by getting that degree in that field. Most of them still get bored by 1 hours of lecture and probably find some assignment, homework very boring. But they still have the discipline to hard work that shit, because it's still programming and learning computer science concepts and they want to work in that field, they know that working is not like studying. Some of the best students get very good grades by skipping classes of bad teacher and learning by themselves and doing previous years exams near the exam time and procrastinating last weeks or days and the result follows. 

I mean it's not perfect and it shouldn't be, there's multiple reasons why people keep studying, but you still need some interest/passion about the subject. Not even an extremely great passion like ho yeah I'm only programming in my free time until sleep and going to tech conference and participating to hackaton on the weekends, like not even that, just some high enough interest, like to like learning about computer stuff, loving to program, or at least not getting bothered by it, some want to build video games, IOS application, web site, network administration, what ever.

Like the greater question should be, do you have a high enough interest in computer science in general and can you see yourself doing that job for a long time (internship experience should be a good indicator). 

If if don't have a slight motivation/interest, it will already be difficult, if you absolutely despise programming and stuff then I think you already have your answer, which is absolutely okay, people change their degree left and right and even their career, I think your first two points are of low concerns, the third maybe a little more depending of the salary and job perspective. 

Just gonna say life is hard and not perfect, it's not black and white, it's gray, generally you need to balance things up, the most that you can for the best of yourself.

• Like 1