Forums Rules Staff Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
EasySteezy

Could you date someone with VERY different music taste than you? What genre would be the deal breaker

And also what genres do you listen to? 

According to spotify I mostly listen to hiphop, rnb, pop, and metal.

It WOULD be a deal breaker if their favorite was edm. I HATE edm especially dubstep

I don't really care, music taste is not relevant.

But if it's screamo I may hesitate...

Uhhh I like a lot of genres so it's likely we'll have something in common. Stuff like dubstep and hardcore might be dealbreakers (if they like it).  

Edited by BlazingCobaltX

yes I would

as long as they don't force me to listen to anything i don't like im fine with it i mean music taste is very low on what i care about in a partner....

depends how offensive their taste is to my ear

As long as they don't disrespect my music tastes, we could definitely make it work.

I might be objective to screamo, though.

I generally wouldn't really care but if someone is really an avid listener and fan of real real folk music I might not be able to deal with it. I also think this would usually  kinda contrast with my very liberal and progressive ideals. if we talk about german schlager that would be whole  a different story 

Sure. I used to be into metal but I'm more into pop now. My boyfriends still loves metal, so he is not happy about the music I put in the car LOL Sometimes we just go for radio 😝

i like songs in all genres so i think i would be good. but if they were to only listen to country music or not be open minded to different genres it would be over in a second tbh. 

It's fine as long as we can find some common ground. If we want to share space together such as studying together or during a car ride, and we both want music on, we need to be able to have something we can both listen to without being annoyed. Otherwise, it's not very important. What's more important is respect. If he knows I hate country but insists on blaring it when we could both be listening to something inoffensive to us both, then it's a deal breaker. 

I'm open to songs of all genres, though. I can enjoy some rock, country, hip hop, electronic... I guess trap music is where I might draw the line. If he insists on playing some mumble rap/trap songs I hate it might be a deal breaker.

The only music genres I can't stand in any way are 70s easy listening and the current soporific mumble rap. I doubt either would be a deal breaker, unless they tried to be annoying and played those purely to annoy me.

kpop is a real dealbreaker for me :imstupid:

but nah, I'm fine with all music. EXCEPT metal, but thank god for the headphones right?

49 minutes ago, HRH Ayyu said:

it really doesnt matter.

but i can see how is important if your like 18 or under

Music is insanely important to me,even at age 24. On my days off I dedicate at least 3-6 hours of just listening to music before work. I've always been obsessed with sound since I was 3. I even am deathly afraid of some songs. Other songs make me cry (not because of lyrics)

It's kinda weird to assume that you must be under 18 to care about a partner's taste in music. When someone is in a relationship with me music is a big part of it.I'm constantly playing it, be it a random band, or a project by one of my many friends that do music.

Point being,I think it's asinine to insinuate that its an immaturity thing

Just now, EasySteezy said:

Music is insanely important to me,even at age 24. On my days off I dedicate at least 3-6 hours of just listening to music before work. I've always been obsessed with sound since I was 3. I even am deathly afraid of some songs. Other songs make me cry (not because of lyrics)

It's kinda weird to assume that you must be under 18 to care about a partner's taste in music. When someone is in a relationship with me music is a big part of it.I'm constantly playing it, be it a random band, or a project by one of my many friends that do music.

Point being,I think it's asinine to insinuate that its an immaturity thing

i did not mean it as an insult.

i just remember that it used to be more important when i was younger/in school. my friendship group and i, how i connected with people.

but now i have many dIffrent type of friends and acquaintances. we are all different tastes. 

i just feel like it did not matter to me now. 

i like all music.. a good song is a good song regardless of genre 

Yes

I'm pretty ecletic, I listen to everything except for sertanejo (brazilian country) and pagode (a type of samba) but I don't hate these genres that much (well, maybe sertanejo...)