Forums Rules Staff Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
Sign in to follow this  
momoring

Groups whose contracts end in 2020 & 2021

Originally, I wanted to make a list of groups who debuted in 2013 and their contracts were ending in 2020. 

But it turned out that most of well-known groups who debuted back in 2013 already disbanded or announced indefinite hiatus. This is a list of kpop groups whose 7 year contracts should end/should have ended next year:

BESTIE

Bestie.jpg

The group was composed of four members, Hyeyeon, Uji, Dahye and Haeryung. While Uji and Dahye parted their ways with YNB Entertainment in September 2017, the group disbanded in 2018 following the news of Hyeyeon joining Star Entertainment.

Bestie's latest release: Excuse Me (2015)

BOYS REPUBLIC

a7d3cca4e3684175b3fd5e94aa0db342.jpeg?s=

Message from September 2018:

"Firstly, we apologize for this unfortunate news to the Royal Family, who've been waiting for their comeback for a long time and supporting them. After a long period of consideration, the Boys Republic members and the agency agreed they'll be ceasing their activities indefinitely. They'll be holding a live performance to say a final farewell as a group to the royal Family. We ask you to show them a lot of love until the end."

Members of the group also participated in KBS The Unit.

Boys Republic's latest release流れる星に花束を (2017)

ALPHABAT

AlphaBAT-900x470.jpg

AlphaBAT is a South Korean hiphop boy group formed by Simtong Entertainment in 2013. 
Current members: B:eta, E:psilon, G:amma, K:appa, L:ambda.
Past members: H:eta, Kyumin, C:ode, D:elta, F:ie, I:ota, J:eta.

Alphabat's latest release: Get Your Luv (2017)

HISTORY

ff38e57e525441a88c16b3a2a9f75a1f.jpg

HISTORY was a South Korean boy group formed by LOEN Entertainment in 2013. They debuted on April 26, 2013 with "Dreamer", featuring the narration of their labelmate IU. They were LOEN Entertainment's first boy group. They officially disbanded on May 12, 2017.

The group consisted of five members: Kyungil, Dokyun, Sihyoung, Jaeho, Yijeong. Vocalist Yiyeong was featured on IU's digital hit "Friday" after the group's debut. Currently he's a producer and seems to be working with Big Hit. 

History's lastest release: Queen (2016)

SPEED

speed-3.jpg

SPEED was a South Korean boy band formed by MBK Entertainment (formerly known as Core Contents Media) in 2012. The group was formerly Coed School's male unit until they became an independent group in 2013. In late 2015, MBK Entertainment removed their profile page from the official website and it was reported that the group was disbanded.

The group consisted of 10 members: Noori, Kwang Haeng, Taewoon, Jungwoo, Sejun, Taeha, Sungmin, Yuhwan, Jongkook, KI-O. Taewoon, who is Zico's older brother pariticipated in Mnet's Show Me The Money and YG's Mix Nine. 

SPEED's latest release: What U (2015)

Topp Dogg (XENO-T)

topp-dogg-header1.jpg?resize=550,363

Xeno-T is a boy group formerly known as Topp Dogg. The group consists of five members: Hojoon, Sangdo, B-Joo, Xero and Sangwon. Originally a thirteen-member group created by Cho PD in 2013 under Stardom Entertainment, the group moved to Hunus Entertainment, following Stardom Entertainment's merger with the company. After multiple line-up changes, the remaining five members subsequently changed their name to XENO-T in 2018.

Current members: Hojoon, Sangdo, B-Joo, Xero, Sangwon.
Past members: Seogoong, Gohn, Kidoh, Jenissi, P-Goon, Nakta, Hansol, A-Tom.

July 2015, Topp Dogg was moved to Hunus Entertainment after their former company Stardom Entertainment had been acquired and merger by Hunus Entertainment.

October 2015, Gohn and Kidoh file lawsuits against the company.

Topp Dogg's rap line (Yano, A-Tom and Jenissi) took part in season five of the popular rap survival show, Show Me the Money. A-Tom passed the audition process and made it to round two where he was eliminated. 
October 2016, Jenissi leaves the group.

February 2017, A-Tom temporary leaves the group to participate in Produce 101 Season 2 under his birth name, Kim Sang-gyun. He was eliminated in 26th place during the third elimination round.

September 2017, Hunus Entertainment released a statement on the group's fan cafe, announcing that five members (Sangdo, Xero, B-Joo, Yano, and Hojoon) would be participating in the reality television series The Unit. A-Tom was announced to be debuting with the Produce 101 fan-created group, JBJ and his future activities with Topp Dogg had remained to be discussed after his activities with JBJ came to an end. Following promotions for their first studio album, First Street, Hansol, P-Goon and Nakta were revealed to have left the group. Hansol intended to join the military. His contract with Hunus is to be discussed once he is discharged. P-Goon also planned to enlist in the military, with plans to pursue an acting career upon being discharged. Nakta had decided to terminate his contract to pursue a solo career.

On February 21, it was announced via Topp Dogg's official fan cafe that the group were starting fresh, as a new group under the name of Xeno-T. The name is a combination of "xenogeneic" and "top-class", the latter being a tribute to their fandom, "ToppKlass". The post revealed that the group wanted a new start to showcase themselves better as a group and show new sides to themselves.

XENO-T's latest release: どこにいても (2018)

KPOP GROUPS WHO DEBUTED IN 2014 AND THEIR CONTRACTS SHOULD BE ENDING IN 2021:

HIGH4, D. Holic, Madtown, Melody Day and HALO already disbanded.

WINNER10-1.jpg?s=900x600&e=t

_Red-Velvet-april-2019-billboard-1548.jp

- B.I.G (latest release: Hello Hello - 2017)

- BEATWIN (latest release: Don't Leave - 2016)

- Berry Good (latest release: Oh! Oh! - 2019)

- BIGFLO (latest release: Upside Down - 2018)

- GOT7 (latest release: Eclipse - 2019)

- Hotshot (latest release: I Hate You - 2018)

- JJCC (latest release: Today - 2016)

- Laboum (latest release: Firework - 2019)

- Lovelyz (latest release: Beautiful Days - 2019)

- Mamamoo (latest release: Gogobebe - 2019)

- Sonamoo (latest release: We Are Legendary - 2019)

- Red Velvet (latest release: Umpah Umpah - 2019)

- UNIQ (latest release: Monster - 2018)

- Winner (latest release: SOSO - 2019)

Which of these groups have the highest chance of surviving the 7 year jinx and why?

Edited by momoring
  • Like 2

mamamoo, winner, red velvet, got7 will all survive for obvious reasons while lovelyz is a toss up

the rest.. 😶

Edited by hyungly
  • Like 1

Spoiler

Mamamoo, Got7 and Winner.

They seem to have great working chemistry and stage presence in their live performances; also all fantastic performers individually. I expect that they will still be in demand long after discussions have taken place for contract renewals (if it has not already happened).

Edited by Chuan
  • Love 4

HALO disbanded. The members revealed this themselves in Produce 101 Japan since three of them are trainees there.

oh wow mamamoo is there

I think that Got7 will continue. And I hope that Mamamoo too but last year they asked them where they saw themselves in 10 years and they said getting married and having children... that answer is the only concerning thing that I've seen so far, and they seem to be comfortable in RBW, but I don't want them to be kept in the basement when the next RBW gg debuts... I hope that they last long 🙏🏼

28 minutes ago, momoring said:

- Badkiz, but they changed their name to HOT PLACE (latest release: Hot Place - 2019)

technically hotplace is a whole new group lol (so a different contract) none of the members were even there when badkiz debuted in 2014

• Like 2

Mamamoo, Winner, Red Velvet, GOT7 should survive

But maybe some of them can lose a member...

• Tea 1

I think Mamamoo, Got7, Winner, Red velvet, and possibly Lovelyz will get through it. There are a couple of the others that I don’t see lasting, though. There are also some that I don’t know well enough to comment on.

GOT7 will survive hopefully

I thought SM groups had ten year contracts. Anyway, most of the 2013 groups will probably disband (a lot of them might as well have by now) and most of the 2014 groups won't.

Edited by JNT-LEGGO
  • Like 1

I think most of 2014 babies will survive or at most loose a member !! A lot of them are still doing really really well so I don't see a reason to disband . 

PS : I think that WINNER's contract will end in 2020 not 2021 because they actually were formed in 2013 after WIN ( so they probably signed with YGE right away ) even tho they debuted in 2014 but who knows 

• Like 2

I think WINNER's is most likely 2020 too. Regardless I think they will probably review their contracts before they start enlisting.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Carrott' said:

technically hotplace is a whole new group lol (so a different contract) none of the members were even there when badkiz debuted in 2014

Thank you for telling me. The article I read about them was misleading.

Either way Berry Good regroup as OT4 and miraculously hit a bank with next comeback (in early 2020 I guess) or (more likely) will just quietly wait until the end of their contracts. 

22 minutes ago, mufcfan said:

Is that why SM debuting new gg .____.

did you mean "SM boy group"? .____.

SM alternate between debuts. So since NCT debuted last, the next debut is a girl group. Last month, the co-ceo, Kim Young-min did an interview where he mentioned that they will be debuting both a girl group and a boy group next month, although it's not clear if the boy group is just another NCT subunit or if it's a completely new group. Red Velvet debuted 6 years ago now, to put that into perspective, there was a one year gap between CSJH and SNSD and a two year gap between SNSD's formation and F(x)'s. It's definitely time to debut another girl group, particularly as currently they only have the one active girl group (unless we do get an OT5/8 SNSD comeback but IF that was to happen soon, it wouldn't be full promotions and wouldn't be a regular thing to rely on).

10 minutes ago, Ash3070 said:

SM alternate between debuts. So since NCT debuted last, the next debut is a girl group. Last month, the co-ceo, Kim Young-min did an interview where he mentioned that they will be debuting both a girl group and a boy group next month, although it's not clear if the boy group is just another NCT subunit or if it's a completely new group. Red Velvet debuted 6 years ago now, to put that into perspective, there was a one year gap between CSJH and SNSD and a two year gap between SNSD's formation and F(x)'s. It's definitely time to debut another girl group, particularly as currently they only have the one active girl group (unless we do get an OT5/8 SNSD comeback but IF that was to happen soon, it wouldn't be full promotions and wouldn't be a regular thing to rely on).

"next month"

isnt it next year?

idk... no one know what inside sm head, they love boys for sure. they have wayvy(?) and superm debut too

nct has like 3 unit (dream, u, 127) and each has like 3 or more sub-sub unit

but those rookie girls be introduced since 2014(?) what a waste talent TAT...

1 minute ago, mufcfan said:

"next month"

isnt it next year?

idk... no one know what inside sm head, they love boys for sure. they have wayvy(?) and superm debut too

nct has like 3 unit (dream, u, 127) and each has like 3 or more sub-sub unit

but those rookie girls be introduced since 2014(?) what a waste talent TAT...

Yeah I mistyped, I meant next year. It was an interview about their plans for 2020. I agree they criminally under use their girl idols and trainees.  There really are a lot of girls left that were from SMR14G. Obviously Seulgi, Irene, Wendy & Yeri debuted. Herin and Yiyang left. It just leaves Koeun, Hina, Ningning & Lami left. Maybe they were waiting for Lami to grow up a bit more so that they could include her in the next one rather than the one after that which probably would be for like 4-5 more years. She's 16 now. I think that Koeun and Hina will almost definitely be in the lineup for the next group as they're 20 and 19 respectively. If those 4 all debut together though, I can't see SM debuting a group that's only 50% Korean born idols, they'll probably add at least a few more members.