Forums Rules Staff NEW Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
Sign in to follow this  
Yggdrasil

Trump Boasted That His Border Wall Was 'Virtually Impenetrable.' Then an 8-Year-Old Girl Climbed a Replica

Source

Ezs4oAT.jpg

When President Donald Trump announced that his signature wall at the U.S.’s southern border would be “virtually impenetrable” while visiting San Diego last month, Rick Weber, who co-founded the Muir Valley rock climbing park in Rogers, Kentucky, was listening.

“You don’t tell a bona fide rock climber something’s impossible to climb,” Weber tells TIME.

Weber took the President’s claim as a challenge. He says he constructed his own replica of the wall, relying on the wall’s official dimensions as well as recent images of the structure. This weekend, Weber is planning to invite climbers attending the “Rocktoberfest” rock climbing festival at the nearby Red River Gorge canyon system in Kentucky to climb the model. Guests will be challenged to compete to climb up and over the wall in the fastest time.

Several people have already managed to climb up the wall replica, including 8-year-old Lucy Hancock. Hancock didn’t use any ropes or other tools to climb the wall, but wore a belay, a safety device designed to catch a falling climber. An adult climber, Erik Kloeker, was up and over the wall in about 40 seconds.

Lucy’s mother, Karla Hancock, tells TIME that her daughter has shown a natural inclination toward politics and rock climbing from a young age. Recently, Karla says Lucy has been interested in immigration, although the third-grader has found the national dialogue about immigration policy to be confusing.

“To her, it’s black and white: If somebody’s hungry, and you have the means to give to them, why couldn’t you?” Hancock says.

In 2017, the Government Accountability Office said that Customs and Border Protection had reported that there were 654 miles of fencing on the border. TIME reported in August that all the walls constructed so far this year have replaced older fencing, but last month Defense Secretary Mark Esper authorized a plan to reallocate $3.6 billion initially set aside for military construction projects to build Trump’s long-touted border wall without congressional approval for the funds. The Defense Department is now aiming to redirect $6.1 billion toward building 295 miles of wall since Trump declared a national emergency in February.

President Trump has said that 20 mountain climbers claimed the border wall design is difficult to climb, but Weber and other climbers have said that seems unlikely.

“We were all very puzzled because none of us in the climbing community had heard of these 20 people that had supposedly tried this wall,” Weber says.

The bollard-style wall at the border, which could also be described as a fence, consists of long, thin columns, with a flat panel that sticks up out of the top. Trump’s wall at the border will be 18 or 30 feet tall in different areas, and Weber says that he decided to construct the smaller, 18-foot dimension to save money. However, Weber says that since the top panel is the same size regardless of the wall’s height, the experience of climbing the higher wall should not be much more difficult, as climbers would only need to “shimmy” a bit further up the pillars.

Weber also says that he decided to allow the climbers to grab the edge of the top panel because he learned that this would be possible when climbing the actual border wall. According to Weber, he’s seen that there are gaps between each panel in photos of the proposed border wall.

Weber says that grabbing the panel’s edge makes climbing the wall a “piece of cake” for a climber. If there were no gaps, Weber estimates that climbers would need to be significantly taller than Lucy — at least about five feet 10 inches tall — to climb up and over the wall.

Weber says that he meant for the climbing competition to be fun, but also wants to point out that the border wall may be “ineffective.”

“I’m not making an argument that we shouldn’t have a secure border. I’m not doing that at all,” he says. “What I’m trying to do is to make sure that we’re not blowing a lot of money on some silly nonsense of putting up something that he thinks can’t be climbed. Because it can. And will be.”

Edited by Yggdrasil

1 hour ago, KoreaxxLove said:

So it needs to be taller?

Read the article.

However, Weber says that since the top panel is the same size regardless of the wall’s height, the experience of climbing the higher wall should not be much more difficult, as climbers would only need to “shimmy” a bit further up the pillars.

1 minute ago, Yggdrasil said:

Read the article.

However, Weber says that since the top panel is the same size regardless of the wall’s height, the experience of climbing the higher wall should not be much more difficult, as climbers would only need to “shimmy” a bit further up the pillars.

You can only climb so high, though

Just now, KoreaxxLove said:

You can only climb so high, though

People literally climbed over the 18 foot wall in 40 seconds. Something isn't right here, lol.

Just now, Yggdrasil said:

People literally climbed over the 18 foot wall in 40 seconds. Something isn't right here, lol.

Lol, make it a lot higher?

• Love 1
  • Clown 1

1 hour ago, KoreaxxLove said:

Lol, make it a lot higher?

It really won't matter how high it is. It's almost as if the experts who have been saying for years that a wall at the border is a dumb idea that doesn't work were right. 

• Tea 1

14 hours ago, MomsLeftNipple said:

It really won't matter how high it is. It's almost as if the experts who have been saying for years that a wall at the border is a dumb idea that doesn't work were right. 

People can only climb so high without being in great shape and without the right equipment.

23 hours ago, KoreaxxLove said:

People can only climb so high without being in great shape and without the right equipment.

If an 8 year old girl has the strength to climb Trump's wall then there's absolutely no contest that most grown adults with the help of friends and family would be able to do it as well.

Even if they couldn't scale the it, the wall still wouldn't work. The majority of illegal immigrants in the US fly over here legally and then just simply overstay their visas. I'm not having my tax dollars wasted on this bullshit simplistic childish policy that's going to waste a fuckton of resources and money. Conservatives love to complain about taxes but they're fine with the majority of it being spent on financially stupid shit like this and the industrial military complex.

The fact that Trump thinks this is such a huge issue is a joke. Illegal immigration has been on the decline in the last decade and if anything, most of the data seems to suggest that it's a net positive for the US. Immigrants, illegal or otherwise, commit less crime, pay more taxes than they take in services, prevent us from facing a demographic crisis to the same degree as a country like Japan, and provide myriad other benefits to the US.

You want less border crossings? Then use surveillance drones and enforce border security. I refuse to throw away my tax dollars at a wasteful policy trying to solve a non-existent problem, ICE harassing citizens and non-citizens alike in the interior of the country, and having them arresting people without due process and holding them for months without recourse. It's a fucking disaster and I'm astonished by the amount of fucking dumbassery in the GOP who are unable to use critical thinking if their lives depended on it.

Edited by TracerB
  • Tea 1

5 hours ago, TracerB said:

If an 8 year old girl has the strength to climb Trump's wall then there's absolutely no contest that most grown adults with the help of friends and family would be able to do it as well.

Even if they couldn't scale the it, the wall still wouldn't work. The majority of illegal immigrants in the US fly over here legally and then just simply overstay their visas. I'm not having my tax dollars wasted on this bullshit simplistic childish policy that's going to waste a fuckton of resources and money. Conservatives love to complain about taxes but they're fine with the majority of it being spent on financially stupid shit like this and the industrial military complex.

The fact that Trump thinks this is such a huge issue is a joke. Illegal immigration has been on the decline in the last decade and if anything, most of the data seems to suggest that it's a net positive for the US. Immigrants, illegal or otherwise, commit less crime, pay more taxes than they take in services, prevent us from facing a demographic crisis to the same degree as a country like Japan, and provide myriad other benefits to the US.

You want less border crossings? Then use surveillance drones and enforce border security. I refuse to throw away my tax dollars at a wasteful policy trying to solve a non-existent problem, ICE harassing citizens and non-citizens alike in the interior of the country, and having them arresting people without due process and holding them for months without recourse. It's a fucking disaster and I'm astonished by the amount of fucking dumbassery in the GOP who are unable to use critical thinking if their lives depended on it.

I wouldn't extend due process to people who shouldn't even be here, but that's not even the point. Neither is the fact that most illegal immigration comes from overstays. That doesn't mean we shouldn't try to tackle the very real problem of illegal border crossings. 

This border is a site of both drug and human trafficking, and SOME (definitely not all) people coming across are gang members, violent offenders, and others who murder and/or hurt US citizens. One life lost to someone who shouldn't have been here in the first place is one too many, regardless if the overall crime rate is lower. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KoreaxxLove said:

I wouldn't extend due process to people who shouldn't even be here, but that's not even the point. Neither is the fact that most illegal immigration comes from overstays. That doesn't mean we shouldn't try to tackle the very real problem of illegal border crossings. 

This border is a site of both drug and human trafficking, and SOME (definitely not all) people coming across are gang members, violent offenders, and others who murder and/or hurt US citizens. One life lost to someone who shouldn't have been here in the first place is one too many, regardless if the overall crime rate is lower. 

Nice pivot, dude. Most of all that illegal shit that you've mentioned are sneaked in and covered up in LEGAL points of entry, so no a wall still wouldn't do jackshit in preventing all of that. Those gangs and cartels literally study how those checkpoints work at those points of entry and they KNOW when to exploit weaknesses in security whether when it's relaxed to speed up traffic or when there's a corrupt officer who they know will turn a blind eye. This is a much better alternative than scattering your resources all across the desert land.

Hell, with a wall, it would increase these gang's profits even MORE since more civilians would turn to pro criminals to get them through those legal points of entry. Even more laughable is the fact that smugglers have THANKED trump for this wall since it's a distraction from the real tactics that these guys use to smuggle their shit into the US, with the latest technology ie. shipments and the trucking industry and the fact that it'll strengthen criminal networks. Do you think these guys are that dumb to cross the border by foot and increase their chances of being caught instead of being sneaky about it? Jfc. You want to fight these illegal activities? Fine. But the wall is literally the dumbest way to go about it. As I said, lack of critical thinking skills as demonstrated by Trump and the GOP.

Edited by TracerB

8 hours ago, TracerB said:

Nice pivot, dude. Most of all that illegal shit that you've mentioned are sneaked in and covered up in LEGAL points of entry, so no a wall still wouldn't do jackshit in preventing all of that. Those gangs and cartels literally study how those checkpoints work at those points of entry and they KNOW when to exploit weaknesses in security whether when it's relaxed to speed up traffic or when there's a corrupt officer who they know will turn a blind eye. This is a much better alternative than scattering your resources all across the desert land.

Hell, with a wall, it would increase these gang's profits even MORE since more civilians would turn to pro criminals to get them through those legal points of entry. Even more laughable is the fact that smugglers have THANKED trump for this wall since it's a distraction from the real tactics that these guys use to smuggle their shit into the US, with the latest technology ie. shipments and the trucking industry and the fact that it'll strengthen criminal networks. Do you think these guys are that dumb to cross the border by foot and increase their chances of being caught instead of being sneaky about it? Jfc. You want to fight these illegal activities? Fine. But the wall is literally the dumbest way to go about it. As I said, lack of critical thinking skills as demonstrated by Trump and the GOP.

There's no pivot there, lol. I was responding to what you said, mush for brains. 

What's dishonest is that you're suggesting that I said it would prevent "all of that." I never said that. I said it could help prevent some cases of it happening, and even one case is too many, so go ahead and put it up. 

Your second paragraph is largely based on assumption and otherwise irrelevant. I'm all for fighting illegal immigration no matter how it occurs, and until you can prove that no one is being smuggled across the border, drugs aren't being smuggled across, and criminals aren't coming over by foot, then you've got no argument except "Trump bad, liberals good, hur hur." Now, if you want to argue that there should be a more comprehensive defense against illegal immigration, I'd agree, but I'm not convinced the wall won't be a great addition to a robust defense against alien criminals. 

Edited by KoreaxxLove

On 10/12/2019 at 9:29 AM, KoreaxxLove said:

There's no pivot there, lol. I was responding to what you said, mush for brains. 

What's dishonest is that you're suggesting that I said it would prevent "all of that." I never said that. I said it could help prevent some cases of it happening, and even one case is too many, so go ahead and put it up. 

Your second paragraph is largely based on assumption and otherwise irrelevant. I'm all for fighting illegal immigration no matter how it occurs, and until you can prove that no one is being smuggled across the border, drugs aren't being smuggled across, and criminals aren't coming over by foot, then you've got no argument except "Trump bad, liberals good, hur hur." Now, if you want to argue that there should be a more comprehensive defense against illegal immigration, I'd agree, but I'm not convinced the wall won't be a great addition to a robust defense against alien criminals. 

It's all factual actually but go off I guess.