Jump to content
Forums Rules Staff NEW Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
Sign in to follow this  
Yggdrasil

Trump defends abandoning the Kurds by saying they didn't help the US in WWII

Recommended Posts

Source

HxXDrjr.jpg

President Donald Trump on October 9.  Jonathan Ernst/Reuters

 

  • President Donald Trump on Wednesday continued to defend his decision to withdraw US troops from northeastern Syria, abandoning Kurdish forces in the region, by saying the Kurds did not help the US during World War II.
  • "They didn't help us in the Second World War; they didn't help us with Normandy," Trump said of the Kurds, who played a vital role in the US-led campaign against ISIS.
  • And when asked by reporters whether he felt the Syria retreat and treatment of the Kurds sent a poor message to other potential US allies, Trump said, "Alliances are very easy."
  • Trump's comments came hours after Turkey launched a military operation against the formerly US-backed Kurdish forces in Syria. 

President Donald Trump on Wednesday defended his decision to abandon the Kurds to a Turkish military incursion in Syria by saying they didn't help the US during World War II. 

This came amid reports that Turkish ground troops were crossing the border into Syria after air strikes that began earlier in the day.

"They didn't help us in the Second World War; they didn't help us with Normandy," Trump said of the Kurds. He added, "With all of that being said, we like the Kurds."

Earlier on Wednesday, Trump said in a statement released by the White House that he did not endorse the Turkish military operation and thought it was a "bad idea." But he did not refer directly to the Kurds or signal any immediate response from the US to thwart Turkey's actions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's lose more American lives in a conflict that doesn't involve us. 

It's ironic how this is becoming an issue at the same time as Ellen being blasted by Democrats for laughing with George Bush because he started a war--but should Trump take our troops home, those same people will blast him! 

  • Clown 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KoreaxxLove said:

Let's lose more American lives in a conflict that doesn't involve us. 

It's ironic how this is becoming an issue at the same time as Ellen being blasted by Democrats for laughing with George Bush because he started a war--but should Trump take our troops home, those same people will blast him! 

How about we not let the conflict happen in the first place? The Kurds literally fought ISIS FOR us, Trump didn't do jack shit. And now we repay them by abandoning them and letting them possibly be slaughtered. How can any allies take our word seriously ever again? Just because Trump's business model is using people and stabbing them in the back doesn't mean it should be how we approach foreign policy. But keep it up, this sure seems to be a winning issue for you. Even Republican senators are turning on Trump over it now.

Edited by Yggdrasil
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Yggdrasil said:

How about we not let the conflict happen in the first place? The Kurds literally fought ISIS FOR us, Trump didn't do jack shit. And now we repay them by abandoning them and letting them possibly be slaughtered. How can any country take our word seriously ever again? But keep it up, this sure seems to be a winning issue for you. Even Republican senators are turning on Trump over it now.

We owe no allegiance so strongly to the Kurds that US lives should be at risk. If we disagree on that, we're just going to have to disagree. 

Of course they are. They're war hawks--the same ones Democrats have (rightfully) criticized for getting us involved so heavily in the Middle East in the first place. 

  • WTF 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It should be a warning for every US ally...

  • Tea 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2019 at 11:21 PM, KoreaxxLove said:

We owe no allegiance so strongly to the Kurds that US lives should be at risk. If we disagree on that, we're just going to have to disagree. 

Of course they are. They're war hawks--the same ones Democrats have (rightfully) criticized for getting us involved so heavily in the Middle East in the first place. 

They fought ISIS for us. You know, that issue Trump likes to take credit for all of the time. And again, THIS DIDN'T NEED TO HAPPEN. You're acting like it was completely inevitable. And give me a break on the supposed antiwar talk when Trump and his buddies have been trying to start a war with Iran since day 1. Just because we fucked up big time and got caught in a quagmire doesn't give us the right to betray our allies and leave them to die just because Trump is too much of a coward to stand up to dictators. 

Edited by Yggdrasil
  • Dislike 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Yggdrasil said:

They fought ISIS for us. You know, that issue Trump likes to take credit for all of the time. And again, THIS DIDN'T NEED TO HAPPEN. You're acting like it was completely inevitable. And give me a break on the supposed antiwar talk when Trump and his buddies have been trying to start a war with Iran since day 1. Just because we fucked up big time and got caught in a quagmire doesn't give us the right to betray our allies and leave them to die just because Trump is too much of a coward to stand up to dictators. 

You suffer from TDS pretty badly, but that's okay. You're not alone. It doesn't matter if they fought ISIS or not. That doesn't mean that their fights, necessary or not, should concern our troops. It's time for them to come home, with a war or without. 

Have to say the dictator bit is grand, too, as Trump has done more to curb Chinese power than Obama ever did. He's also not telling Putin he'll have more flexibility after an election, or restraining US energy production while Russia grows in power. It's not our role to be world police, and if you disagree with that, we're going to have to agree to disagree. 

And by the way, because we're stuck in a quagmire doesn't mean that we have to keep putting our US lives at risk. As a US citizen, I will always prioritize US lives--as does President Trump.

Edited by KoreaxxLove
  • Clown 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Back to Top