Forums Rules Staff NEW Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
Sign in to follow this  
KoreaxxLove

U.S. Unemployment Falls to 50-Year Low

The US economy is now experiencing the lowest levels of unemployment since 1969. Included in this is record low unemployment for "African-Americans, Hispanics, and people with disabilities" according to a White House press release. 

These economic numbers prove particularly impressive as the US continues its longest recovery. Additionally, since November, 2016, the unemployment rate for individuals without a high school diploma has fallen from 7.8% to 4.8%. 

Finally, labor force participation remains at a steady +0.5% since President Trump's election. 

https://www.whitehouse.gov/articles/u-s-unemployment-rate-falls-50-year-low/

Edited by KoreaxxLove

You will need to include sources/articles when posting in the current news/events sub forum. If you don't wish to update the op to include this I can move the topic over to random. 

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/unemployment-rate

US Jobless Rate Falls to Lowest Since 1969

The US unemployment rate decreased to 3.5 percent in September 2019 from 3.7 percent in the previous month and above below market expectations of 3.7 percent. The last time the rate was this low was in December 1969, when it also was 3.5 percent. Over the month, the number of unemployed persons decreased by 275,000 to 5.8 million.

Among the major worker groups, the unemployment rate for Whites declined to 3.2 percent in September. The jobless rates for adult men (3.2 percent), adult women (3.1 percent), teenagers (12.5 percent), Blacks (5.5 percent), Asians (2.5 percent), and Hispanics (3.9 percent) showed little or no change over the month. 

Among the unemployed, the number of job losers and persons who completed temporary jobs declined by 304,000 to 2.6 million in September, while the number of new entrants increased by 103,000 to 677,000. New entrants are unemployed persons who never previously worked. 

In September, the number of persons unemployed for less than 5 weeks fell by 339,000 to 1.9 million. The number of long-term unemployed (those jobless for 27 weeks or more) was little changed at 1.3 million and accounted for 22.7 percent of the unemployed. 

The labor force participation rate held at 63.2 percent in September. The employment-population ratio, at 61.0 percent, was little changed over the month but was up by 0.6 percentage point over the year. 

The number of persons employed part time for economic reasons (sometimes referred to as involuntary part-time workers) was essentially unchanged at 4.4 million in September. These individuals, who would have preferred full-time employment, were working part time because their hours had been reduced or they were unable to find full-time jobs. 

In September, 1.3 million persons were marginally attached to the labor force, down by 278,000 from a year earlier. (Data are not seasonally adjusted.) These individuals were not in the labor force, wanted and were available for work, and had looked for a job sometime in the prior 12 months. They were not counted as unemployed because they had not searched for work in the 4 weeks preceding the survey. 

Among the marginally attached, there were 321,000 discouraged workers in September, little changed from a year earlier. (Data are not seasonally adjusted.) Discouraged workers are persons not currently looking for work because they believe no jobs are available for them. The remaining 978,000 persons marginally attached to the labor force in September had not searched for work for reasons such as school attendance or family responsibilities. 

BLS | Agna Gabriel | [email protected]
10/4/2019 12:39:11 PM
  • Like 1

What good is a low unemployment rate when the labor force participation rate is bad though. 

Edited by tafattsbarn
  • Tea 1

1 hour ago, Yggdrasil said:

Thanks, Obama!

YDTCvKD.png

Lol, no. 

Of course Obama saw faster job growth coming out of a recession. The start of a recovery is always going to have faster growth than the end. The fact that Trump is maintaining historically-low unemployment, with the labor force participation rate higher, and with more jobs already filled is much more impressive. Just glancing at the surface of the numbers isn't going to give you the full story. 

Median household income has also grown by 6.8% under Trump. 

• Clown 1

3 hours ago, Pineapple said:

You will need to include sources/articles when posting in the current news/events sub forum. If you don't wish to update the op to include this I can move the topic over to random. 

Added!

16 hours ago, KoreaxxLove said:

Lol, no. 

Of course Obama saw faster job growth coming out of a recession. The start of a recovery is always going to have faster growth than the end. The fact that Trump is maintaining historically-low unemployment, with the labor force participation rate higher, and with more jobs already filled is much more impressive. Just glancing at the surface of the numbers isn't going to give you the full story. 

Median household income has also grown by 6.8% under Trump. 

So you admit that Trump has been riding on the coattails of the Obama recovery? And whatever happened to Trump getting rid of the deficit? So far he's increased it by 68%, and that's WITHOUT a recession. Federal debt has increased by 3 trillion. Lmao!

Edited by Yggdrasil
  • Like 1
  • Tea 2

2 hours ago, Yggdrasil said:

So you admit that Trump has been riding on the coattails of the Obama recovery? And whatever happened to Trump getting rid of the deficit? So far he's increased it by 68%, and that's WITHOUT a recession. Federal debt has increased by 3 trillion. Lmao!

No, I'm saying the obvious that Trump inherited a slowly-improving economy and has managed to take it to historic levels despite increasing difficulty. Stocks have also hit record highs since he was elected, as business and consumer confidence soared. 

Trump's deregulatory efforts have helped position the US economy as the strongest in the world. 

What IS limiting the US economy now are Trump's tariffs, which can be argued are causing short-term pain for long-term gain. 

Obama also increased the debt and deficit, and of course Trump's got bad problems there, too. 

If we want to have a ride the coattails argument, though, you'll need to admit that it was Reaganomics that led to considerable economic success in the 80s and 90s. (That plus the Internet)

Trump has taken solid measures to help ensure the US's position as a global world leader on all fronts. No matter how much you dislike him, you can't take that away. 

37 minutes ago, frozentear said:

Thank you, Obama!

You wish, lol. 

• Like 1
  • Clown 3

35 minutes ago, KoreaxxLove said:

You wish, lol. 

No need to wish when it already came true. Thanks Obama! 

• Tea 1

9 minutes ago, frozentear said:

You mean thanks Trump for massive deregulation and tax cuts that have spurred growth, brought back millions and millions of manufacturing jobs that Obama said you'd need to have a "magic wand" to bring back, etc. In fact, it's important to note that manufacturing jobs under Trump have expanded greatly, up 170% over Obama--a number that could increase even more if the Democrats would approve Trump's new trade deals. In fact, before Trump's economically-damaging, but perhaps politically necessary tariffs, this number was as high as 399% over Obama.    There's no doubt the economy was improving under Obama, but at incredibly slow rates for its stage of recovery, whereas the economy is often beating expectations now, putting up similar numbers despite the fact that economists thought this to be impossible

Edited by KoreaxxLove
  • Like 1
  • Clown 2

1 hour ago, frozentear said:

Isn't is sad that their sole defense of Trump is "well, he inherited an already good economy and kept it good, so therefore he's the greatest president ever and deserves a second and possibly third and fourth term." 

Meanwhile, over half of Americans polled want him impeached and removed from office.

Edited by Yggdrasil
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

On 10/9/2019 at 11:16 PM, Yggdrasil said:

Isn't is sad that their sole defense of Trump is "well, he inherited an already good economy and kept it good, so therefore he's the greatest president ever and deserves a second and possibly third and fourth term." 

Meanwhile, over half of Americans polled want him impeached and removed from office.

I know lmao so dumb. Meanwhile the deficit and inflation is SOARING. Low unemployment means jackshit if it's one person working 2-3 minimum wage jobs that they can still barely afford to get by.

On 10/9/2019 at 9:42 PM, KoreaxxLove said:

You mean thanks Trump for massive deregulation and tax cuts that have spurred growth, brought back millions and millions of manufacturing jobs that Obama said you'd need to have a "magic wand" to bring back, etc. In fact, it's important to note that manufacturing jobs under Trump have expanded greatly, up 170% over Obama--a number that could increase even more if the Democrats would approve Trump's new trade deals. In fact, before Trump's economically-damaging, but perhaps politically necessary tariffs, this number was as high as 399% over Obama.    There's no doubt the economy was improving under Obama, but at incredibly slow rates for its stage of recovery, whereas the economy is often beating expectations now, putting up similar numbers despite the fact that economists thought this to be impossible

Tax cuts didn't do jackshit. It all went to the wealthy and it all went to stock buybacks rather than raise wages. As a matter of fact, the tax cut has probably reduced national income. At least 90 percent of Americans will end up poorer thanks to that cut.

In theory the working class will use the money to buy things made in the United states but in practice they will pay down their debts. That is what a majority of the cuts would go towards. The wealthy will simply invest in companies that don't help the working class much. And even if you did buy goods/services, they will likely be from other countries so... no - tax cuts are to help the wealthy and take away from government services that actually benefit those in need.

• Like 2

On 10/10/2019 at 1:16 AM, Yggdrasil said:

Yep, that's why I didn't waste anymore time with them and just went to bed lol. Imagine being that far up an orangutan's ass.

• Tea 1

6 hours ago, TracerB said:

I know lmao so dumb. Meanwhile the deficit and inflation is SOARING. Low unemployment means jackshit if it's one person working 2-3 minimum wage jobs that they can still barely afford to get by.

Tax cuts didn't do jackshit. It all went to the wealthy and it all went to stock buybacks rather than raise wages. As a matter of fact, the tax cut has probably reduced national income. At least 90 percent of Americans will end up poorer thanks to that cut.

In theory the working class will use the money to buy things made in the United states but in practice they will pay down their debts. That is what a majority of the cuts would go towards. The wealthy will simply invest in companies that don't help the working class much. And even if you did buy goods/services, they will likely be from other countries so... no - tax cuts are to help the wealthy and take away from government services that actually benefit those in need.

On 10/10/2019 at 2:16 AM, Yggdrasil said:

I'll start with the second comment here, as it's possibly the more imbecilic of the two. That's not the argument at all. The argument is that Trump's economy has defied expectations--even in light of damaging tariffs. Not only that, jobs that Obama claimed would never come back--namely in manufacturing--have soared back under Trump, with non-government jobs also seeing a big boost under the Trump administration. This is very important to the working class. 

To improve an economy that is recovering from a recession (which will happen cyclically anyway) is not necessarily noteworthy--especially when it's the slowest recovery in US history with some of the lowest GDP numbers. It's a recovery not felt in many of the states hardest hit by the 2008 financial crisis. 

Trump has managed to consistently keep employment high, increase labor force participation, remove millions and millions of Americans off food stamps, raise the median family income, and bring back a number of jobs in the manufacturing/working class sector. My city is a mill town--when cotton left, the factories came, and I can tell you that it's doing better now than any year under Obama. Work is plentiful, with many factories having more jobs than people to work them. 

Now to the first comment. Your simplistic view of tax cuts is sad. The lower tax rate has helped people like me start small businesses and invest. It's helped other small companies spread, and it's helping larger companies invest more in the US. Even foreign companies are investing more in the US--Georgia, home to KIA--is about to get the largest Korean manufacturing plant in its history. A Chinese tire company also announced it will be building a factory right here in my city. This is having a real effect in the lives of thousands of people in my community and across the United States. To ignore this just because you refuse to give Trump any credit is pathetic. 

What does it matter if I use the tax cuts to buy something made in America? Of course, it would be more beneficial overall if it did in some ways, but I'm still getting more money in my check (like most, but not all) to buy more things that I need. 

I'm not a fan of tariffs in the economic sense, but we've seen their benefit in inking new trade deals with Canada, Mexico, and Japan (the world's third largest economy)--and if China follows through with the current Phase 1 trade deal, in which the US made no concessions, they'll have possibly redefined the trading relationship with the world's second largest economy for the betterment of the US. 

Don't let your hate for Trump cloud the reality that the US economy is booming, thanks to BOTH presidents, and that Trump's policies may prove to have a lasting positive benefit for the United States, both economically and otherwise. 

• Like 1
  • Clown 2

5 hours ago, KoreaxxLove said:

I'll start with the second comment here, as it's possibly the more imbecilic of the two. That's not the argument at all. The argument is that Trump's economy has defied expectations--even in light of damaging tariffs. Not only that, jobs that Obama claimed would never come back--namely in manufacturing--have soared back under Trump, with non-government jobs also seeing a big boost under the Trump administration. This is very important to the working class. 

To improve an economy that is recovering from a recession (which will happen cyclically anyway) is not necessarily noteworthy--especially when it's the slowest recovery in US history with some of the lowest GDP numbers. It's a recovery not felt in many of the states hardest hit by the 2008 financial crisis. 

Trump has managed to consistently keep employment high, increase labor force participation, remove millions and millions of Americans off food stamps, raise the median family income, and bring back a number of jobs in the manufacturing/working class sector. My city is a mill town--when cotton left, the factories came, and I can tell you that it's doing better now than any year under Obama. Work is plentiful, with many factories having more jobs than people to work them. 

Now to the first comment. Your simplistic view of tax cuts is sad. The lower tax rate has helped people like me start small businesses and invest. It's helped other small companies spread, and it's helping larger companies invest more in the US. Even foreign companies are investing more in the US--Georgia, home to KIA--is about to get the largest Korean manufacturing plant in its history. A Chinese tire company also announced it will be building a factory right here in my city. This is having a real effect in the lives of thousands of people in my community and across the United States. To ignore this just because you refuse to give Trump any credit is pathetic. 

What does it matter if I use the tax cuts to buy something made in America? Of course, it would be more beneficial overall if it did in some ways, but I'm still getting more money in my check (like most, but not all) to buy more things that I need. 

I'm not a fan of tariffs in the economic sense, but we've seen their benefit in inking new trade deals with Canada, Mexico, and Japan (the world's third largest economy)--and if China follows through with the current Phase 1 trade deal, in which the US made no concessions, they'll have possibly redefined the trading relationship with the world's second largest economy for the betterment of the US. 

Don't let your hate for Trump cloud the reality that the US economy is booming, thanks to BOTH presidents, and that Trump's policies may prove to have a lasting positive benefit for the United States, both economically and otherwise. 

First off though, Trump's deregulation wasn't actually that much (and somehow still managed to fuck over a lot of the people) but that's besides the point.

Omg I LOVE it when conservatives use the food stamps argument. In a day and age where people are richer than they've EVER been in their entire lives, the bar for success is getting people off food stamps. While Jeff Bezos is making billions of dollars if the stock market changes a few points, we're looking at food stamps 😂 How about the level of education, access to healthcare, affordable/quality housing and luxury goods? Didn't think so.

Oh you wanna play the anecdote game? Sure, I can too. These tax cuts? They remind me of Arthur Laffer in Kansas. The same tax cuts that destroyed the education system, rose taxes 4 years later because economic growth and employment lagged. And now guess what, it's failing on a national level because Mitch Mcconnell made the same promise about these tax cuts and now the deficit is TWICE the amount that Obama left office.

We can cherry pick all we want about who benefited from the tax cuts. You can say Illinois and talk about your small businesses, I'll say the lowest 15 states in terms of education that are run by Republican governors. But here is the bottom line. The overwhelming thrust of the tax cuts goes into the pockets of the wealthy through either stock buybacks, capital gains, having an S Corps, and paying less taxes. That's a fact, and as your beloved conservative "hero" Shapiro would say, "FacTs dOnT cArE aBoUt yOur FeElinGs"

Also, here is the difference between Obama's and Trumps exit out of recession. With Obama we got stock market booming, low wage jobs. And with Trump? Same thing but now wages are even WORSE and they're fucking stagnant with inflation going up. Cool, everything is smoke and mirrors because blahblablah low unemployment and shit. Oh wait, they're working multiple minimum wage jobs that don't pay shit and are overworked + can't get full-time benefits for health care, 78% of the US is living paycheck to paycheck, 50% of wage earners make $30k or less each year, 44 mil Americans don't even have health insurance and those same number of people have $1.3 TRILLION in student loan debt and are unable to afford proper homes and other real estate? Some economy.

Here's how you measure the REAL unemployment rate. You use the U-6 because it's more accurate since it includes people that are underemployed and people who have quit looking for jobs after 2-3 years and it reflects the economy a lot better than other unemployment rates. You wanna know what it is? 7.3% LMAOO ALMOST 1/10 OF ALL AMERICANS ARE UNEMPLOYED/UNDEREMPLOYED, WHAT A GREAT ECONOMY!!

So all in all, the only thing that's doing well is the stock market, corporate profits and billionaires. And only corporate media compliments Trump because they're right wingers.

Edited by TracerB
  • Like 1
  • Tea 1

6 hours ago, TracerB said:

First off though, Trump's deregulation wasn't actually that much (and somehow still managed to fuck over a lot of the people) but that's besides the point.

Omg I LOVE it when conservatives use the food stamps argument. In a day and age where people are richer than they've EVER been in their entire lives, the bar for success is getting people off food stamps. While Jeff Bezos is making billions of dollars if the stock market changes a few points, we're looking at food stamps 😂 How about the level of education, access to healthcare, affordable/quality housing and luxury goods? Didn't think so.

Oh you wanna play the anecdote game? Sure, I can too. These tax cuts? They remind me of Arthur Laffer in Kansas. The same tax cuts that destroyed the education system, rose taxes 4 years later because economic growth and employment lagged. And now guess what, it's failing on a national level because Mitch Mcconnell made the same promise about these tax cuts and now the deficit is TWICE the amount that Obama left office.

We can cherry pick all we want about who benefited from the tax cuts. You can say Illinois and talk about your small businesses, I'll say the lowest 15 states in terms of education that are run by Republican governors. But here is the bottom line. The overwhelming thrust of the tax cuts goes into the pockets of the wealthy through either stock buybacks, capital gains, having an S Corps, and paying less taxes. That's a fact, and as your beloved conservative "hero" Shapiro would say, "FacTs dOnT cArE aBoUt yOur FeElinGs"

Also, here is the difference between Obama's and Trumps exit out of recession. With Obama we got stock market booming, low wage jobs. And with Trump? Same thing but now wages are even WORSE and they're fucking stagnant with inflation going up. Cool, everything is smoke and mirrors because blahblablah low unemployment and shit. Oh wait, they're working multiple minimum wage jobs that don't pay shit and are overworked + can't get full-time benefits for health care, 78% of the US is living paycheck to paycheck, 50% of wage earners make $30k or less each year, 44 mil Americans don't even have health insurance and those same number of people have $1.3 TRILLION in student loan debt and are unable to afford proper homes and other real estate? Some economy.

Here's how you measure the REAL unemployment rate. You use the U-6 because it's more accurate since it includes people that are underemployed and people who have quit looking for jobs after 2-3 years and it reflects the economy a lot better than other unemployment rates. You wanna know what it is? 7.3% LMAOO ALMOST 1/10 OF ALL AMERICANS ARE UNEMPLOYED/UNDEREMPLOYED, WHAT A GREAT ECONOMY!!

So all in all, the only thing that's doing well is the stock market, corporate profits and billionaires. And only corporate media compliments Trump because they're right wingers.

You're seemingly incapable of making a coherent argument. 

First of all, you're wrong. Trump is deregulating at record rates. This is just a fact. He's also withdrawn us from agreements like the Paris Climate Accord that would put further regulatory burden on businesses and raise costs on consumers. 

The second paragraph is nonsense. It doesn't matter how rich the rich are getting. That's a complete red herring, and your misconstruing the argument. Getting people off food stamps is a positive sign for the economy and for the well-being of Americans, and Trump has gotten millions off food stamps. 

Shapiro isn't my hero--I honestly find him annoying. So try again. If you want to talk about the benefits of tax cuts, I'd suggest watching more Milton Friedman or Thomas Sowell. Again, you're making an argument that doesn't need to be made. If we're talking about who is saving more money--of course the wealthy make more from a tax cut because they've got a higher income anyway. That doesn't mean that I'm not doing better off in my life, or that they still don't have a significant amount of money left for investment. This has been proven to be demonstrably true with significantly more manufacturing investment in the United States during Trump's presidency--something Obama claimed you'd need a magic wand to bring back. 

Everything you criticized in that paragraph about the Trump economy was also true under Obama. The difference, though, is that median household income is up 6.8% under Trump and millions are off food stamps and other forms of government assistance. 

The labor force participation rate has increased under Trump, and Trump's average annual GDP growth rate is also better than Obama's terrible average of 1.6%. In fact, labor force participation under Obama hit a 38-year low--matching the pitiful economic numbers of the Carter presidency.

The U-6 is currently at 6.9% (as low as 6.5% if some sources are to be believed). as of September 2019. In 2015, this number was as high as 12% and was around 10.4% the following year in 2016. The number was still at 10.10% in January of 2017 when Trump was inaugurated, for a modest 2% decline in two years. Since then, the rate has fallen significantly to 6.5% despite the increased difficulty of adding and maintaining jobs during the latter stages of an economic recovery. 

Also, living paycheck to paycheck can be due to a number of reasons. I know a guy who makes $200k a year who lives paycheck to paycheck because despite having a high income, he's got a million dollar house in Seattle, a penthouse in Atlanta, an apartment in Beijing, travels a lot, etc. While this can commonly be due to poverty, it's also a sign of excess spending. $30k a year where I live in rural Georgia is quite a decent salary, especially if this figure includes young workers who are just starting--and it likely does. As for health insurance, having more jobs can ease that burden a bit, as it's very common to get insurance through one's employer. The best news, though, is that we're no longer fined for not having it--one of Obama's great ideas. "Too poor to afford health insurance? Don't worry! We'll fine you for that!" 

• Like 1
  • Clown 1

On 10/12/2019 at 9:23 AM, KoreaxxLove said:

You're seemingly incapable of making a coherent argument. 

First of all, you're wrong. Trump is deregulating at record rates. This is just a fact. He's also withdrawn us from agreements like the Paris Climate Accord that would put further regulatory burden on businesses and raise costs on consumers. 

The second paragraph is nonsense. It doesn't matter how rich the rich are getting. That's a complete red herring, and your misconstruing the argument. Getting people off food stamps is a positive sign for the economy and for the well-being of Americans, and Trump has gotten millions off food stamps. 

Shapiro isn't my hero--I honestly find him annoying. So try again. If you want to talk about the benefits of tax cuts, I'd suggest watching more Milton Friedman or Thomas Sowell. Again, you're making an argument that doesn't need to be made. If we're talking about who is saving more money--of course the wealthy make more from a tax cut because they've got a higher income anyway. That doesn't mean that I'm not doing better off in my life, or that they still don't have a significant amount of money left for investment. This has been proven to be demonstrably true with significantly more manufacturing investment in the United States during Trump's presidency--something Obama claimed you'd need a magic wand to bring back. 

Everything you criticized in that paragraph about the Trump economy was also true under Obama. The difference, though, is that median household income is up 6.8% under Trump and millions are off food stamps and other forms of government assistance. 

The labor force participation rate has increased under Trump, and Trump's average annual GDP growth rate is also better than Obama's terrible average of 1.6%. In fact, labor force participation under Obama hit a 38-year low--matching the pitiful economic numbers of the Carter presidency.

The U-6 is currently at 6.9% (as low as 6.5% if some sources are to be believed). as of September 2019. In 2015, this number was as high as 12% and was around 10.4% the following year in 2016. The number was still at 10.10% in January of 2017 when Trump was inaugurated, for a modest 2% decline in two years. Since then, the rate has fallen significantly to 6.5% despite the increased difficulty of adding and maintaining jobs during the latter stages of an economic recovery. 

Also, living paycheck to paycheck can be due to a number of reasons. I know a guy who makes $200k a year who lives paycheck to paycheck because despite having a high income, he's got a million dollar house in Seattle, a penthouse in Atlanta, an apartment in Beijing, travels a lot, etc. While this can commonly be due to poverty, it's also a sign of excess spending. $30k a year where I live in rural Georgia is quite a decent salary, especially if this figure includes young workers who are just starting--and it likely does. As for health insurance, having more jobs can ease that burden a bit, as it's very common to get insurance through one's employer. The best news, though, is that we're no longer fined for not having it--one of Obama's great ideas. "Too poor to afford health insurance? Don't worry! We'll fine you for that!" 

Fuck it. My interest in this discussion is long gone. Whatever helps you sleep at night, fam.