Search Engine

Advanced Search

Photo

did you ever get your ethnicity mistaken?

32 replies to this topic

#1 pinkpanda_spirit

pinkpanda_spirit

Y's one & only fan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,500 posts
  • LocationSome want to kiss, some want to kick you.

Posted 15 May 2019 - 02:23 PM

just happened to me today while buying dinner. I ordered 2 burgers and the guy (who was suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper sweet btw, I hope his new business is a success) asked me if the 2 were for me so I was like "yeah I'm hungry because of the ramadan" and then he said "you're arab?" and when I told him I was tunisian he said he thought I was hispanic or something lmao and then his friend (who was also tunisian) started talking to me in arabic. I hate it when people suddenly ask me to speak in another language, I alway forget my words. I sounded dumb.

but anyway, it's not the 1st time someone mistaken me as a hispanic girl/latina.

tenor.gif

#2 · Moonrise ·

· Moonrise ·

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,754 posts
  • Locationrooting for the success of B.A.P

Posted 15 May 2019 - 02:27 PM

people’s impressions of me have ranged from SEA to half white/half asian

I’m Chinese

#3 mythicalswirl

mythicalswirl

Dream Lantern

• PipPipPip
  • 1,707 posts
  • Locationmaybe one day it will come to me too

Posted 15 May 2019 - 02:28 PM

No people always think I'm south asian. since i'm muslim I usually get pakistani even though I'm south indian but oh well

Also idk how you can eat 2 burgers for iftar laugh.png I eat one samosa and drink some water and I'm done for the night lmaoo

#4 amal.ha

amal.ha

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 8,103 posts
  • Location“What a relief you still think ghosts are scarier than the world.” WINNER’s Mino

Posted 15 May 2019 - 02:30 PM

I got Spanish , Turkish , Greek , French ... you name it 

#5 smrookies girls

smrookies girls

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 15 May 2019 - 02:30 PM

Yes, several times. I'm white but I have Spanish origins and my great great grand father was black. Because of genes skipping a few generations and stuff etc..
my skin is tanner than most white people. Because of that, some ignorant (white) people told me that they thought I was at arab at first or that I look arab on some of my selfies. I remember a girl in middle school (that I didn't know) was surprised because I was eating pork and she asked me if I'm not muslim because I'm arab and I was no??? I'm not arab and I'm not muslim???

It's annoying, I have nothing against arab people but I'm not and I don't like it when people mistaken my ethnicity. Especially since I have no Arab origins at all.

#6 coval

coval

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • LocationIt is I - Coval. The merged unification of all existing ARMY. I am BTS' TEACHER, their TEAR and HER. Protector of OT7, Amazona of outsold stadium tours. Breaker of Sales Records. Queen of Billboard. If I will leave this place one day, then all merged ARMY will go with me to the Magic Shop so we can sing together the song of the Young Ones. ~ nale 2019

Posted 15 May 2019 - 02:31 PM

Never

I got my nationality mistaken a couple of times

Someone once thought I was american which I found really weird cause my accent is like realllllly Irish.

#7 soman

soman

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • LocationBenatar

Posted 15 May 2019 - 02:34 PM (Edited by soman, 15 May 2019 - 02:34 PM.)

No but there are people greet me with annyeonghaseyo and arigato even when they know im chinese

#8 Mongtae

Mongtae

BTS PAVED THE WAY

• PipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts
  • LocationBatcave

Posted 15 May 2019 - 02:40 PM

All the time, I'm Indigenous and often get mistaken for being Chinese

#9 eunheart

eunheart

beauté éclatant ♡

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,570 posts
  • Locationcœur de Koya

Posted 15 May 2019 - 02:40 PM

For once I kinda envy that my face is too obvious to be mistaken so I can't relate rlytearpls.png

#10 Zack Morris

Zack Morris

President of ____

• PipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Location🗣️ Zack Trash 🗣️

Posted 15 May 2019 - 02:41 PM

Apparently my friend thought I was a darker skinned Indian when she first met me. It really confused me because I don't have their features or anything like that

#11 Grape Soda

Grape Soda

✩ Light & Carat ✩

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,037 posts
  • LocationFlat Earth

Posted 15 May 2019 - 02:46 PM

Nope. Ive gotten differnt types of East African but still black lol

#12 Koya

Koya

♡ lil meow meow ♡

• Events Team
  • 6,229 posts
  • Locationeuη's heαrt

Posted 15 May 2019 - 02:49 PM

I'm half arab but I look like a 100% french girl, people are suprised when I tell them that my father side is arab.

#13 pinkpanda_spirit

pinkpanda_spirit

Y's one & only fan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,500 posts
  • LocationSome want to kiss, some want to kick you.

Posted 15 May 2019 - 02:49 PM

No people always think I'm south asian. since i'm muslim I usually get pakistani even though I'm south indian but oh well

Also idk how you can eat 2 burgers for iftar https://onehallyu.com//public/style_emot... I eat one samosa and drink some water and I'm done for the night lmaoo

well you were right, I ate 1 and I'm already full rlytearpls.png I'm just gonna eat the other one during suhoor haha

Yes, several times. I'm white but I have Spanish origins and my great great grand father was black. Because of genes skipping a few generations and stuff etc..
my skin is tanner than most white people. Because of that, some ignorant (white) people told me that they thought I was at arab at first or that I look arab on some of my selfies. I remember a girl in middle school (that I didn't know) was surprised because I was eating pork and she asked me if I'm not muslim because I'm arab and I was no??? I'm not arab and I'm not muslim???

It's annoying, I have nothing against arab people but I'm not and I don't like it when people mistaken my ethnicity. Especially since I have no Arab origins at all.

this happened to a lot of my friends... lmao they also hate it

#14 Rolling Thunder

Rolling Thunder

Part Time Lurker

• PipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts
  • LocationLike it, Don't like it Love it, Don't want it Weki Meki I'm so picky

Posted 15 May 2019 - 02:50 PM

nope

#15 UMJI MOODS

UMJI MOODS

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,403 posts
  • LocationAll over

Posted 15 May 2019 - 02:53 PM

Latino.

#16 puellarum generatio

puellarum generatio

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 02:57 PM

not really, people think I'm white and I consider myself as white but when I tell them I'm part black they can't believe it

#17 Digiwon

Digiwon

true neutral

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts
  • Location"I just got Aquamarine on DVD. (...)"

Posted 15 May 2019 - 02:58 PM

I don't even know my ethnicity myself tbh, and I don't think I look like any ethnicity either, my family is a mess and idk my roots. I guess I look brazilian w euro features maybe, but I never had any question about my ethnicity.

I got mixed as german or turkish on internet tho bc I like the music from these countries

#18 lighterxx

lighterxx

17's Sebong

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,724 posts
  • Locationin my dreams~

Posted 15 May 2019 - 02:59 PM

people can never guess where i am from lol, i usually get germanic, or whatever country i am from, i literally can blend in almost all countries

#19 kyungsooloveuse

kyungsooloveuse

Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,330 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 03:20 PM

In my case it's more like I have 20 diff origins, french obviously being 1 of them but ppl never seem to notice, they just think i'm a regular french girl.

#20 Spring By Chance

Spring By Chance

Global Superstar

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,135 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 May 2019 - 03:28 PM

as an Asian person, all the time. 

Up, Up and Away!