Forums Rules Staff Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
Sign in to follow this  
wiz109

Rate and Review Video Games You've Played

icpbo9YqOv4rM.jpg

Ni No Kuni- Wrath of the White Witch

8.5/10 ( was going to rate it 10/10 due to Llapacas, but that would truly be biased)

Okay, so I finally finished the main story line and completed everything except the post game completion errands, so I thought I'd review this one now.

The Pros:

This game has a beautiful world, and of course it would with Ghibli having a hand in this game.  

The story is engaging and builds fairly well rather than becoming a convoluted mess like some RPG's become.  Also the main character is not some badass or emo with girl issues, he is a child who is trying to deal with a tragedy through going on a seemingly unbelievable quest.  This made me care for the plot and Oliver's quest a lot more than I normally would, and see how he slowly grows and progresses over the game.

The battle system is fun. It slowly builds as Oliver grows and goes on his adventure, adding new things you can do as new characters join you.  The familiars are fun too, though I didn't bother going all out finding the best ones for each character, still it was like pokemon with a story line more deeper than becoming the world's best pokemon trainer.

There are tons of things to do in this game, from errands, to bounty hunts, to the Solisseum, so in terms of hours of game play, this is well worth it.

Also the best part of this game : LLAPACAS! THEY WERE GLORIOUS!!! MOORE GAMES SHOULD HAVE TRIBUTES TO LLAMA'S AND FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT AGAINST CAMELS!!! Okay I am done.

The Cons

The story had a few eyebrow raising things going on in it,  the main main for me being that, why was an orphan allowed to run around, live alone and disappear for long periods of time without anyone batting an eye? Were there no child protective services back then?

The dub was not bad, but I played through with the Japanese voice acting, and I always wondered why names were being changed, even though some of them were already in English.  I could clearly hear Phil being called Mark, Esther being called Maru, etc.

The story was a bit slow in the beginning and made me wonder why people were talking so highly of the game, so it was good I stuck it out.

The only problem I had with the plot was that every bad guy was redeemed but I guess that was to be expected since this is rated for everyone, and so should have a happy ending.

61PbzNZ5qeL._SX385_.jpg

The World Ends With You (DS)

The Good:

• Nice story
  • Gameplay (this game makes use of everything the DS has to offer; touchscreen, D-pad, microphone, both screen, and the battle are addictive)
  • Customization (skills and abilities and be mixed up however you want them too, you can even adjust your level)
  • Graphics (art style, animation, and sprites are pretty good by DS standards)
  • Side quests (plenty)

The Bad:

• Controls (since they work differently compared to other games, it's easy to activate a skill when your intention was to move or mess up a skill. Also, good luck trying to keep track of the action on two screens.)
  • Music (a nitpick on my part, I'm not a fan of vocal tracks in games)
  • One save file

Overall:
One of the most interesting games I've played on any DS system since the gameplay feels unique and engaging, the characters are lovable, the story has a wonderful message. While I can see people who are bad at multi-tasking hating this game, I would still highly recommend this to anyone who wants a solid and fresh take on the action RPG genre. 9.5/10

Edited by His Majesty Robosexual
  • Like 1

51iThGjmvKL._SX385_.jpg

Chrono Trigger (DS)

The Good:

• Good story (love the balance between seriousness and humor)
  • Battle mechanics (besides ATB, the bottom screen makes command input a breeze)
  • Pacing and grinding
  • Sidequests
  • Music
  • Characters
  • Graphics (these bit sprites have aged gracefully)
  • Epic final boss

The Bad:

• Unnecessary anime cut scenes (there're not bad but the sprites re enact the scene anyway)

Overall:

For a game that originated in the SNES era, Chrono Trigger holds up well to this day. That's really nothing at all I can find issue with, this game is as solid as an RPG can get. One of the best in the genre. 10/10

The Game im reviewing is

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin (ps4)

226_150403161404_1.jpg

My Rating for the Game: 8/10

Let me start by saying that this game is ridiculously HARD, I have died more than 300 times...however the game isn't unfair. So let me start with the things that really bugged me about the game...

The Cons: The story is told through item description, therefore making it kinda hard to understand, theres no actual cutscenes explaining the story the only cutscene we get is the beginning intro and the ending. The game also doesnt explain the michanics of the gameplay as well as i would of liked. Thats pretty much what i didn't like about the game

The Pros: This game has one of the best landscape designs that I have ever seen in a medieval game, this game gorgeous, it thrives in exploration and theres always something new to discover. Yes you will die and learn from it. The game has one of the most expansive inventory I have ever seen, theres so much armor, weapons and accessories. This game is full of secrets that will keep you playing over and over. Dark Souls II has a new game + which increases the difficulty even more and provides a better challenge. There are also Covenants that you join which will let you play through the game differently which is always a bonus.

I have absolutely enjoyed every minute of this game, yes its hard and yes this game will make you rage quite like never before, but once you over come that obstacle that keeps killing you the satisfaction is priceless.

Dragons

11eFVy684x9uGk.gif

And Triumph

MWL7evUUaBvzi.gif

I would recommend this for every medieval fantasy fan.

Edited by James.Y

The Game im reviewing is

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin (ps4)

My Rating for the Game: 8/10

Let me start by saying that this game is ridiculously HARD, I have died more than 300 times...however the game isn't unfair. So let me start with the things that really bugged me about the game...

The Cons: The story is told through item description, therefore making it kinda hard to understand, theres no actual cutscenes explaining the story the only cutscene we get is the beginning intro and the ending. The game also doesnt explain the michanics of the gameplay as well as i would of liked. Thats pretty much what i didn't like about the game

The Pros: This game has one of the best landscape designs that I have ever seen in a medieval game, this game gorgeous, it thrives in exploration and theres always something new to discover. Yes you will die and learn from it. The game has one of the most expansive inventory I have ever seen, theres so much armor, weapons and accessories. This game is full of secrets that will keep you playing over and over. Dark Souls II has a new game + which increases the difficulty even more and provides a better challenge. There are also Covenants that you join which will let you play through the game differently which is always a bonus.

I have absolutely enjoyed every minute of this game, yes its hard and yes this game will make you rage quite like never before, but once you over come that obstacle that keeps killing you the satisfaction is priceless.

Dragons

And Triumph

I would recommend this for every medieval fantasy fan.

I kinda wanted to get this game today since it was somewhat cheap but I knew about how hard it is and knew I would suck so bad lol, same reason I didn't get Bloodbourne either :._.:

FINAL FANTASY XIV - A Realm Reborn

5/10

Pros:

-The graphics are awesome.

- Good pacing

- Awesome Music

Cons:

-Very grind heavy. Its plays just like Guild Wars 2 with having to do an endless stream of open events and fetch questing to level up.

- Class system. In this game you pick your initial class at the start and then at lvl 30 you can upgrade to a more powerful version of your class. However, one of the requirements to upgrade is to have a another class mastered up to lvl 15. I thought that was so stupid. Basically you end up having to do the first part of the game all over again. This time, however, without your main story quest to help you lvl, so you get stuck in a slow moving grind hell trying to lvl up.

- The story was long, slow moving, and hard to follow.

- Too much running back and forth

Edited by boo!

latest?cb=20121020013740

Tales of Xillia 2

7.5/10

I have finally had time to finish the game, all that remains is some post game shizzle. This is my second Tales game and over all I found it more enjoyable than the first Xillia game, probably because I somewhat understood the system from the previous one (though they did make some changes).

Cons: 

First, let's get rid of the bad.

Meet Ludger Kresnik

tumblr_ncc0w8BhOu1rdq0aro5_250.gif

[spoiler] his life sucks, like really really bad [/spoiler]

The debt system, blegh.  Though you can commend this system for making use of in game money, which normally is virtually useless in most other games, I HATE BEING IN DEBT.  Both in real life and in games now apparently.  I am someone who feels terrible about owing people money, and so my obsessive compulsive behaviour kicked in and I tried my hardest to pay this crap down.

There is a cute scene though, if you manage to do it, so it is worth it, but still ew to debt.

As much as I liked the story, the characters once again failed to engage me, they were supposedly struggling with their task of eliminating whole worlds, but it came off as meh, it sucks but we gotta do it, all the time.  To me, it'd be a decision that would drive a person crazy...but that's just me I guess

Pros:

I understood the story more in this one, it seemed to follow a main theme, though it did get confusing at times with all the mumbo jumbo lingo that gets thrown in.

You get to see familiar faces, though they are not the main characters of this story line, seeing how your old party grows and changed since the worlds merged is enjoyable.

Again, meet Ludger Kresnik, he is virtually a mute OP character, but you still love him because he so much fun to play as,

There is tons of stuff to do, both in game and post game.  Multiple endings based on your decisions, make it worth it to play it through more than once, and ex- elite bosses, and the dungeon are challenging and fun to keep playing after the main plot is done

The last reason I liked the game:

Return of the Hottie King

tumblr_ncc0w8BhOu1rdq0aro9_250.gif

tumblr_nbl5yt6d6A1s4h0g8o2_400.gif

Because yes, I am still that shallow.  King Gaius is back, and this time as a playable character.  This time you get to see all his quirks like, his love of cats, lack of being able able to hold liquor, babysitting skills, anger issues, and lack of technological skills, so tell me is this alone not enough to make you buy this game? Poor Gaius though, once he entered my party....THERE WAS NO ESCAPE FOR HIM

tumblr_ncrjepeK1X1svkfqgo2_r1_500.gif

Edited by wiz109
  • Like 1

The last reason I liked the game:

Return of the Hottie King

tumblr_ncc0w8BhOu1rdq0aro9_250.gif

tumblr_nbl5yt6d6A1s4h0g8o2_400.gif

Because yes, I am still that shallow.  King Gaius is back, and this time as a playable character.  This time you get to see all his quirks like, his love of cats, lack of being able able to hold liquor, babysitting skills, anger issues, and lack of technological skills, so tell me is this alone not enough to make you buy this game? Poor Gaius though, once he entered my party....THERE WAS NO ESCAPE FOR HIM

tumblr_ncrjepeK1X1svkfqgo2_r1_500.gif

Wizzu overall would you say this series (or these two games of the series specifically) is a worthwhile one getting into? How long did they take to beat?

The man you point out at the reason to play is actually the reason I was originally interested in picking the Xillia games up. 

Wizzu overall would you say this series (or these two games of the series specifically) is a worthwhile one getting into? How long did they take to beat?

The man you point out at the reason to play is actually the reason I was originally interested in picking the Xillia games up. 

I'm not sure how much someone who's played other entries to the Tales series would like it, but I can say as a person who never played a Tales game before these ones, it has made me interested at looking up past titles.

I know Hemlock found the first boring and quit, but I found it pretty enjoyable.  I will say though, that the first game is slower to pick up the pace of the story.  

I think I beat the first ending of this game by the 80-90 hr mark because I spent time doing the sidequests, side stories,  and trying to pay down the debt.

If Gaius is your main reason for playing, he shines more in Xillia 2, (obviously because you get to keep him around more) but be warned though, it's a while before you get to keep him in the party.

I liked the second game more because it made it feel like the decisions you make impact the game, and though there is a true ending, it leaves you with a choice of how you want the story to end.

• Like 1

Skyrim is Love... Skyrim is Life...

If I would rate it, It would be 9.9/10

0.1 due to bugs though some of them are actually funny...

skyrim1.jpg

• Like 3

MGSV

Let's start with cons:

1. Missions takes too fucking long. Add in the amount of mandatory mission, it can be dragged.

2. Lack of cutscene makes the storyline almost incoherent (that's my sugarcoated way of saying there story is shit).

3. Many of the main mission feels like filler. They are the same as the fetch missions from open world RPGs, but in this they are "infiltrate and extract XX".

4. The main character is as interesting the wall. He rarely speaks, has no presence. After some missions you can play as other people and it's more interesting to play as them than the MC.

5. Many mechanic feels gimmicky and funny. Like the fulton system (which is LOL worthy tbh).

Pros:

1. Authentic environment. The desert even though barren has a authentic vibe, and it makes the missions more secluded and urgent.

2. Infiltrating enemy bases is fun. Has a sense of urgency, which is addicting.

3. The staff system is a great mechanic. Recruiting people and building your army is a good notion.

4. The buddy system is good. Requires us to bend our playstyle a little according to whatever buddy we are using.

7/10. Good game, suffering the fate of tediousness similar to the Witcher 3.

Any reviews of Tales of Zeristria? Can someone send a post link of it if it's okay with you.

Here's my review of Lost Dimension developed by Atlus:

Cons:

1. Lack of cool enemies and. Mostly mecha. The only cool enemy is "The End". The mecha's skills aren't that flashy too.

2. New game+ only gets you very few money and skill points from your previous save data.

Pros:

1. Lot's of plot twist(Asset of Atlus of course) and dark background story for every characters.

2. Lots of awesome skills, combinations, and strategies to think of with each of your characters. You will need and enjoy playing them all. This what makes this game addicting and helps you repeat the game at least 2-4 times to platinum the game.

3. The game's story pacing, character voices and development, each walkthrough gives you new knowledge towards the story. Love the true ending and plot twist here too.

Game of Dice. I would give it a 8/10.

Pros:

- Can be played with friends via Team Match

- A huge set of skill cards to choose from allowing the user to create different strategies

- Very nice gameplay

- Easy to learn since I am a new gamer of a board game

- Very cute characters

Cons:

- You cannot play with more than 1 friend

- Only one board is available

- Only 1 male character

Edited by Marirranya

Undertale - 9/10

Took me totally by surprise. I was unimpressed at the beginning, but it went from being interesting to amusing to funny to scary to heartbreaking. The characters are the main selling points; while they were just typical character archetypes, they were funny and didn't feel one-note. A few had surprising depth to them (mentioning who would be a spoiler).

Something I find really genius about the game is the level of fourth-wall breaking it does, and how the choices you make are so important that they will even effect all of your future playthroughs. Choices have much more impact in this game than any other game I've seen, in a way that interacts so astoundingly with the game's mechanics. Enjoyment of the game aside, it's this aspect of Undertale that makes it really great to me.

Papo & Yo - 7/10

A puzzle game built with emotion behind it. It's the personal story of the dev and his abusive father. The parallel is not subtle, but I think it's not bad that the topic was addressed bluntly. There's a distinct tinge of imagination and whimsy in the puzzles and environments, making them enjoyable to traverse. Overall, a good play.

Edited by Dandelion Wine
  • Like 1

The Legend of Heroes: Trails In The Sky SC

(or just Trails SC for short)

System: PC (Steam)

12063578_1252336294791781_76132869034267

Pros:

There is a lot of character and world building in these games. The cast is made up of fun and likable characters that are all developed and get their time to shine (with maybe the exception of one or two). It does get emotional at times because you end up caring so much about them. The setting isn’t anything new or special, but it’s told with so much detail as you learn about the nation, its history, and its relationship with the neighboring nations. It feels like a real place that is alive with multiple moving parts, you are just one of them.

I like the battle system. It’s kind of a combination of Lunar, Grandia, and Final Fantasy 7. It has the range and speed mechanic of Lunar. It has the turn management of Grandia. And it has a more complex materia-like system. I’d also count the craft system as being like limit breaks. You can Attack, use magic Arts,  Craft skills, and you can also make food for healing, buffs, or attacking, which is kinda like the Tales series I guess.

The attention to detail and the little things helps this game a lot. NPCs all have names and their own character portraits. Their dialogue changes after story events. You can talk to everyone again to get a little bit different dialogue. Some people might find this pointless but some NPCs have their own stories and problems that develop over the course of the game.

Cons:

The biggest con is probably the pacing. The structure of the game can wear on you after a while. You do some quests, go through the story, finish up some more side quests, go to the next town, and then repeat. In each town you meet a new bad guy and a little bit of story, but it’s a slow build and most of the story is given to you in the last third of the game.

There are things in the game that are intentional to make it feel like a real world. It’s to make the game feel believable and realistic but at the cost of convenience. There is no fast travel, not even at the end of the game, so you have to walk everywhere. You have to go to the guild house to change your party. You also have to manually unequip them. There are some generic fetch quests and “go kill this monster” quests too. It makes sense because you’re part of the Bracer guild but meh. I think there’s one or two escort quests too. I don’t mind them that much but they should be better if they are the main way to get money in the game (you don’t get money after fights).

Overall:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBmtF4TCeic

Trails FC and SC combine to basically make one huge game. I love both games and they do a really good job at actually making you care about the characters. Estelle has become probably one of the best female protagonists in a jrpg. My favorite has always been Celes from FF6 but Estelle is now up there too. This game (FC & SC combined) is also now up there with FF6 as my favorite jrpg. Definitely check it out if you like traditional, old school type jrpgs.

Read this article to learn how difficult it was to get these games localized and how much time and work went into it: http://kotaku.com/the-curse-of-kiseki-how-one-of-japans-biggest-rpgs-bar-1740055631

PS. Olivier is the best. That is all.

9.5/10

Edited by Hemlock
  • Like 1

The Legend of Heroes: Trails In The Sky SC

(or just Trails SC for short)

System: PC (Steam)

12063578_1252336294791781_76132869034267

Pros:

There is a lot of character and world building in these games. The cast is made up of fun and likable characters that are all developed and get their time to shine (with maybe the exception of one or two). It does get emotional at times because you end up caring so much about them. The setting isn’t anything new or special, but it’s told with so much detail as you learn about the nation, its history, and its relationship with the neighboring nations. It feels like a real place that is alive with multiple moving parts, you are just one of them.

I like the battle system. It’s kind of a combination of Lunar, Grandia, and Final Fantasy 7. It has the range and speed mechanic of Lunar. It has the turn management of Grandia. And it has a more complex materia-like system. I’d also count the craft system as being like limit breaks. You can Attack, use magic Arts,  Craft skills, and you can also make food for healing, buffs, or attacking, which is kinda like the Tales series I guess.

The attention to detail and the little things helps this game a lot. NPCs all have names and their own character portraits. Their dialogue changes after story events. You can talk to everyone again to get a little bit different dialogue. Some people might find this pointless but some NPCs have their own stories and problems that develop over the course of the game.

Cons:

The biggest con is probably the pacing. The structure of the game can wear on you after a while. You do some quests, go through the story, finish up some more side quests, go to the next town, and then repeat. In each town you meet a new bad guy and a little bit of story, but it’s a slow build and most of the story is given to you in the last third of the game.

There are things in the game that are intentional to make it feel like a real world. It’s to make the game feel believable and realistic but at the cost of convenience. There is no fast travel, not even at the end of the game, so you have to walk everywhere. You have to go to the guild house to change your party. You also have to manually unequip them. There are some generic fetch quests and “go kill this monster” quests too. It makes sense because you’re part of the Bracer guild but meh. I think there’s one or two escort quests too. I don’t mind them that much but they should be better if they are the main way to get money in the game (you don’t get money after fights).

Overall:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBmtF4TCeic

Trails FC and SC combine to basically make one huge game. I love both games and they do a really good job at actually making you care about the characters. Estelle has become probably one of the best female protagonists in a jrpg. My favorite has always been Celes from FF6 but Estelle is now up there too. This game (FC & SC combined) is also now up there with FF6 as my favorite jrpg. Definitely check it out if you like traditional, old school type jrpgs.

Read this article to learn how difficult it was to get these games localized and how much time and work went into it: http://kotaku.com/the-curse-of-kiseki-how-one-of-japans-biggest-rpgs-bar-1740055631

PS. Olivier is the best. That is all.

9.5/10

I'll play this soon... soon.

I'll play this soon... soon.

YOU BETTER!  :ohpressor:

• Like 1

The-Last-of-Us1.jpg

The Last of Us Remaster

9/10

I am probably late to the party for this game, but that's me usually anyways so meh.  I probably wouldn't have bought this game by myself due to the fact that it's about the zombie apocalypse and I can't stomach zombies, but I got it with my PS4 bundle and my brother stole Arkham Knight and has yet to return it, so I played this in the mean time. ( I didn't even finish Arkham City yet so I probably shouldn't complain).

Pros:

Well, there are a lot of them.

Beautiful graphics, though this should probably go without saying now a days, but like Uncharted this one looks and feels like you're in a movie.

Fantastic story. Normally I don't really care for a zombie apocalypse type thing but honestly it kept me wanting to find out how it all ends which is rare for me lately because I mostly play all good vs evil fantasy type games and 9 out of 10 times good wins.  

Strong characters with good development made me care more for the plot, you really do feel for their struggle.

Intense game play. Every time I ran into a dark place and could hear a clicker my gut clenched, I absolutely hated it and didn't want to go near the damn thing.

That ending...

I am going to imagine that Joel's decision was right and that the Firefly's are incompetent fools who would have mishandled Ellie's brain fluids or whatever leading her death to be a waste.  Joel's way she will grow up and have a family that will be born immune and voila, world saved...I am delulu though

Cons:

There actually isn't much...other than wizzu hates them zombies...like seriously I hate any kind of zombies and had to force my way through the first Uncharted game when it got to that point.  To the person who thought it was a great idea to create Clickers...fuck you. THEY ARE VOMIT INDUCING.

Edited by wiz109
  • Like 1

fqgjFF8.jpg

Pros:

Game of Dice, one of the popular games of Joy City became an eye catcher for the first gameplay experience I had. Among other dice games on the market, its unique 2D character design within a 3D isometric mapping left an exciting impression and user engagement. Not to mention the catchy animation that the game has to offer, the app also features an automatic timer for each turn to add strategic and timely response from other players leaving a fun-filled action in a controlled interface. In addition, the tutorials on the game were similarly accurate and detailed compared to the actual gameplay while offering many generous gift items that may increase gamer's enthusiasm.

Cons:

While advance gamers might find themselves comfortable in fast-paced transitions, most of the beginners may find it quite challenging to cope on other player’s decisive tactics and strategy. Having said that automatic end turn is another feature, it may trigger some confusion when player is not familiar with the new drawn card on deck.  This may lead to wrong moves, time over scenarios and eventually, a heavy defeat.  Furthermore, game animation became derivative to the extent that it spams or outshines other game elements and interface to be less noticed.

Overall: 8/10

Admittedly, the game is very unique, catchy, strategic, and addicting thanks to its added features such as character stats, skill cards, and different dice abilities on a monopoly board game. It's cons can be easily countered as well by the generosity of developers towards both new and advance players. Also the game relies highly on luck then on strategy. Hence, new players can still have a chance to beat advance players to easily catch up to them.

• Like 1