Forums Rules Staff NEW Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
Sign in to follow this  
wiz109

Rate and Review Video Games You've Played

woops sorry for the late reply, 

You don't need to play older games to understand the story, this was my first one as well, I guess it's like Final Fantasy in the sense that all of the games have an independent story.

You might want to ask an actual Tales fan for the one that they thought was the best though and try it.  I didn't find this one bad and it made me interested in playing the others.  I have plans on getting the sequel to this one soon one, I finish playing the stockpile of games I have in my room now.

that's cool i will try this one

how much did it cost you?

Edited by 4DDMIN

that's cool i will try this one

how much did it cost you?

I think I got it when it was around 30 bucks

1Fplvsj.jpg

Gone Home 
System: Steam

I don't think I can review this game with just a pros and cons list so i'll write something out. This is a game that i've seen receive very high praise and a lot of criticism too. After playing it i understand why there's such a difference of opinions and why some people say it's not even a game. I will call it a game just to make it simpler.

You are a girl that is coming back home after traveling around other countries but returns to an empty house. Your parents and sister are gone and it seems that your sister is some kind of trouble. The entire game is basically you walking around this big house and reading letters and stuff that you find. You progress through the game by finding key items that triggers the voice of your sister reading her diary. In these audio logs you go through what happened in your sister's life and her relationship with her best friend. It is more interesting than it sounds lol. I just can't really go into detail without ruining it.

Possible spoilers...kinda...maybe...
[spoiler]
As you explore this house you continue to learn more about what your family has been going through while you were away. Along with story bits about your parents, there is also the lore of the house itself. Apparently your family inherited the house from a distant relative that went mad and died there. The house gives off an eerie feeling and creates a suspenseful atmosphere almost as if something terrible has happened in the house and your family. This turns out to be completely misleading as the story is actually heartwarming. The jump scares or dark turn in the story you expect while you progress never happen.
[/spoiler]

Though the part under the spoiler was kinda disappointing, I enjoyed the game and its story. It's hard for me to explain it without spoiling it and I probably already spoiled a lot, but it is worth checking out. It’s pretty short (which is another complaint). I completed it in 3.5 hours while taking my time and examining almost everything.

8/10

1Fplvsj.jpg

Gone Home 
System: Steam

I don't think I can review this game with just a pros and cons list so i'll write something out. This is a game that i've seen receive very high praise and a lot of criticism too. After playing it i understand why there's such a difference of opinions and why some people say it's not even a game. I will call it a game just to make it simpler.

You are a girl that is coming back home after traveling around other countries but returns to an empty house. Your parents and sister are gone and it seems that your sister is some kind of trouble. The entire game is basically you walking around this big house and reading letters and stuff that you find. You progress through the game by finding key items that triggers the voice of your sister reading her diary. In these audio logs you go through what happened in your sister's life and her relationship with her best friend. It is more interesting than it sounds lol. I just can't really go into detail without ruining it.

Possible spoilers...kinda...maybe...
[spoiler]
As you explore this house you continue to learn more about what your family has been going through while you were away. Along with story bits about your parents, there is also the lore of the house itself. Apparently your family inherited the house from a distant relative that went mad and died there. The house gives off an eerie feeling and creates a suspenseful atmosphere almost as if something terrible has happened in the house and your family. This turns out to be completely misleading as the story is actually heartwarming. The jump scares or dark turn in the story you expect while you progress never happen.
[/spoiler]

Though the part under the spoiler was kinda disappointing, I enjoyed the game and its story. It's hard for me to explain it without spoiling it and I probably already spoiled a lot, but it is worth checking out. It’s pretty short (which is another complaint). I completed it in 3.5 hours while taking my time and examining almost everything.

8/10

i give this game 3/10

I didnt know i spent 20$ for 30mins worth of gameplay

i give this game 3/10

I didnt know i spent 20$ for 30mins worth of gameplay

30 minutes is super fast. You must have ran through the game instead of reading everything, which is missing the entire point of the game. It is still a short game even if you take your time like i did. I understand if it isn't the type of game you enjoy though and 20 is pretty steep. I got it for free from a friend and that might have something to do with it, but i did enjoy the game for what it is still. 

30 minutes is super fast. You must have ran through the game instead of reading everything, which is missing the entire point of the game. It is still a short game even if you take your time like i did. I understand if it isn't the type of game you enjoy though and 20 is pretty steep. I got it for free from a friend and that might have something to do with it, but i did enjoy the game for what it is still. 

maybe more like an hour, i did like some parts the game but i also like long content. I was just expecting something supernatural or some huge plot twist, the game was creepy af though. One of my friends finished it by accident in 2mins .. poor him.

maybe more like an hour, i did like some parts the game but i also like long content. I was just expecting something supernatural or some huge plot twist, the game was creepy af though. One of my friends finished it by accident in 2mins .. poor him.

yea that is my biggest complaint about the game and not the length.

2 minutes lol. 

yea that is my biggest complaint about the game and not the length.

2 minutes lol. 

specially after you find that devil altar thing you expect some ghosts lol, hemlock do you have a steam ID?

specially after you find that devil altar thing you expect some ghosts lol, hemlock do you have a steam ID?

yea it's whomlock

Oooh another Wiz thread I can invade kekekeke ^^. 

I played too may games over the summer and am continuing that on into the fall. Meant to collect what I thought of each and record it somewhere so will do here. 

Papo & Yo

[spoiler]

PapoYo08.jpg

Papo & Yo is a game with a unique idea behind it. Drawing on the creator's experiences as a child with his alcoholic father, the game explores a young boy's quest to save his friend "monster" from his addiction to frogs. This premise alone makes the game stand out from many in its puzzle platforming genre, as it attempts to use video games as a means to convey a serious and very real topic. 

The game deserves the most praise for its environmental design. Papo & Yo's world is a vibrant representation of south american slums. Exploring a world of hand-crafted children's toys, elaborate graffiti paintings and colorful houses was fun and refreshing - for a world with no characters other than the main character and monster it felt surprisingly full of life. The game shines brightest when these world features are integrated into the puzzles. Making the houses bounce up and down at the twist of a key to create a path, or using magic chalk patterns to pick up and move houses out of your way made for great fun. Using the environment to interact with monster was fun too. A quick kick-a-bout in between puzzles was one of the most enjoyable things to do in the game. 

But for all the fun and liveliness that can be found, the game often struggles to keep this up throughout all of the puzzles. Many are simply too easy and require little thought to solve. In fact, for many, the largest challenge seems to be with finding the best camera angle. On top of this the concept never fully seems to shine through. It looks as though many ideas that were meant to be in the game were taken out due to either technical limitations or time restraints. Whether this is the actual case or not I don't know for certain, but the inconsistency with which the game packs its punches is off-putting. 

Rating: 7/10

Despite my scoring, as far as games go, I really recommend this one. It's not as polished or as well-executed as other games you can find, but it's one of those rare games you can tell was a project of passion on behalf of the developers. 

[/spoiler]

Will edit and add more of ma recently played in later. 

SmashNintendo3DSBoxart.png

Super Smash Bros (3DS)

Pros

- Large range of characters to choose from and some of the new comers are my favourites 

- A lot of multi-player capabilities 

- Customisable characters 

- Final form of stages is a nice option*

- Lots of other little things you can do in game, such as customising characters, 'mini-games,' challenges, etc 

--> leads to unlocking trophies, equipment and so forth 

- It looks nice, the controls are easy to get used to (somewhat) 

Cons

- Many players, including myself, are having problems connecting with the online server; however, most are giving online play positive reviews so maybe it's just me 

- There are so many characters, yet most of them are unlocked from the get go 

- The stages are way too gimmicky... some standard stages would have been nice even if there's the final form option*

- 'Smash Run' is too easy 

- The Solo - Classic mode doesn't feel very classic... it is very quick as well, which can be both a pro and con 

- Not pleased with the amount you can do with all of the coins gathered 

Overall

Out of all of the SSB games I have played (all, minus melee), this one has to be my favourite. I personally don't see anything in either Brawl or 64 that can surpass what I have been given in this game. There is a lot of content packed into the game, so it's fit to entertain anybody. The amount of locked content is rather disappointing and I wish I were made to feel more excited unlock things -

so I didn't have much to anticipate, considering my favourites were already unlocked and all of the locked stages/other things did not appeal to me at all.

I'm feeling left down at the current state of the online system, however, I know it's probably my problem. After hours of research and attempting to get into it, I kind of give up on it. Whenever it does let me through, it's incredibly difficult to play due to lag (again, my problem). I hope to begin playing online soon, though. 

8/10

Oooh another Wiz thread I can invade kekekeke ^^. 

I played too may games over the summer and am continuing that on into the fall. Meant to collect what I thought of each and record it somewhere so will do here. 

Papo & Yo

[spoiler]

PapoYo08.jpg

Papo & Yo is a game with a unique idea behind it. Drawing on the creator's experiences as a child with his alcoholic father, the game explores a young boy's quest to save his friend "monster" from his addiction to frogs. This premise alone makes the game stand out from many in its puzzle platforming genre, as it attempts to use video games as a means to convey a serious and very real topic. 

The game deserves the most praise for its environmental design. Papo & Yo's world is a vibrant representation of south american slums. Exploring a world of hand-crafted children's toys, elaborate graffiti paintings and colorful houses was fun and refreshing - for a world with no characters other than the main character and monster it felt surprisingly full of life. The game shines brightest when these world features are integrated into the puzzles. Making the houses bounce up and down at the twist of a key to create a path, or using magic chalk patterns to pick up and move houses out of your way made for great fun. Using the environment to interact with monster was fun too. A quick kick-a-bout in between puzzles was one of the most enjoyable things to do in the game. 

But for all the fun and liveliness that can be found, the game often struggles to keep this up throughout all of the puzzles. Many are simply too easy and require little thought to solve. In fact, for many, the largest challenge seems to be with finding the best camera angle. On top of this the concept never fully seems to shine through. It looks as though many ideas that were meant to be in the game were taken out due to either technical limitations or time restraints. Whether this is the actual case or not I don't know for certain, but the inconsistency with which the game packs its punches is off-putting. 

Rating: 7/10

Despite my scoring, as far as games go, I really recommend this one. It's not as polished or as well-executed as other games you can find, but it's one of those rare games you can tell was a project of passion on behalf of the developers. 

[/spoiler]

Will edit and add more of ma recently played in later. 

Thou hast been neglecting thy reading good sir  :>_>:  lol you haven't been in the lit thread for a while.

SmashNintendo3DSBoxart.png

Super Smash Bros (3DS)

Pros

- Large range of characters to choose from and some of the new comers are my favourites 

- A lot of multi-player capabilities 

- Customisable characters 

- Final form of stages is a nice option*

- Lots of other little things you can do in game, such as customising characters, 'mini-games,' challenges, etc 

--> leads to unlocking trophies, equipment and so forth 

- It looks nice, the controls are easy to get used to (somewhat) 

Cons

- Many players, including myself, are having problems connecting with the online server; however, most are giving online play positive reviews so maybe it's just me 

- There are so many characters, yet most of them are unlocked from the get go 

- The stages are way too gimmicky... some standard stages would have been nice even if there's the final form option*

- 'Smash Run' is too easy 

- The Solo - Classic mode doesn't feel very classic... it is very quick as well, which can be both a pro and con 

- Not pleased with the amount you can do with all of the coins gathered 

Overall

Out of all of the SSB games I have played (all, minus melee), this one has to be my favourite. I personally don't see anything in either Brawl or 64 that can surpass what I have been given in this game. There is a lot of content packed into the game, so it's fit to entertain anybody. The amount of locked content is rather disappointing and I wish I were made to feel more excited unlock things -

so I didn't have much to anticipate, considering my favourites were already unlocked and all of the locked stages/other things did not appeal to me at all.

I'm feeling left down at the current state of the online system, however, I know it's probably my problem. After hours of research and attempting to get into it, I kind of give up on it. Whenever it does let me through, it's incredibly difficult to play due to lag (again, my problem). I hope to begin playing online soon, though. 

8/10

Pretty much my thoughts on the game, especially the gimmicky stages. Magicant and Balloon Fight are the ones I dislike the most.

Final Fantasy 10 HD Remaster - 8.5/10

Very good game, excellent remaster.

amazingly detailed review *claps*

• Like 1

amazingly detailed review *claps*

Oh, I only read the "rate" part in the title lol. I'll review FFX-2 when I beat it.

256398-crimes_and_punishments.jpg

Sherlock Holmes Crime and Punishment is the 8th game in the Installment of the Sherlock Holmes video game franchise by Frogware. Ever since the 4th installment where they revamped everything i have become addicted to the series since there is nothing quite like it on the Market, does this game exceed its predecessor (The testament) in terms of quality ?

The Pros

What differentiates this game from the other Sherlock Holmes games is that you are the one who has to find the clues and make up your decisions, many people might be reminded of L.A Noire but they are not alike at all, unlike L.A Noire in this game you can actually mess up and catch,kill or imprison the wrong suspect, this is what makes it thrilling and kept me up on my toes the whole time, I was always wondering who the killer was and if my decisions were right, what if i overlooked a clue?What if my reasoning is flawed? With all the evidence you have gathered you need to conclude on your own who was responsible for the crime,how they achieved it and what was their motive.The more cases you fail the more your reputation is affected, sometimes failing cases might even lead to the death of others.

358828694.jpg

The Graphics in this game have been highly revamped too, i recommend to play it on a PC at Ultra Settings to truly enjoy the environments and get immersed into the game, though there are some issues like bad textures on certain items and a short view distance, these do not really take away from the game.

The voice acting is also splendid, none of the characters are boring or sound the same, though sometimes the characters tend to be way into their personality making it less realistic, though if we forget about those isolated cases then we can say the voice acting is top Notch

Case: Murder on Half Moon Street

20.jpg

The Cons

This game could have been rated a 10/10 by me if they improved on the cons that i am going to mention ,these would have made the difference between a ''really good game'' and a 'masterpiece''. My first and major issue with this game is that it keeps holding your hands. For example, once you have found all the clues, the game tells it to you , if you can make a new deduction, the game tells it to you. In my opinion i wold have highly preferred if there was an option to turn these off as it can be highly annoying if you want to have a pure detective experience.

Another problem would be the length, it took about 25 hours for me to beat it (mostly because i take a lot of time to confirm my deductions) but for a game solely based on story this should have been longer, though for the price of 45$ and all the other fantastic pros i will not be reducing it any points because of this

The 2nd most major problem in this game is how dialogues do not make a difference, this game has a mechanic like L.A noire where you can call somebody out for lying, what renders it useless is that you cannot fail, after picking a dialogue option wrong the game will just give you another chance to do it until you get it right, if they mixed the dialogue mechanics of L.a. noire where you can fail and lack enough evidence to call them out + its own deduction mechanics for how the cases are solved it would have been the best detective game since Heavy Rain (A masterpiece i should mention) . The puzzles are also highly repetitive, 3/4 of the puzzles of the game is simply opening a lock.

Overall

Sherlock Holmes crime and Punishment Certainly does not disappoint and certainly surpasses all of its predecessors by a clear mile. If you are interested in a game with immersive characters,environments and story which requires lots of critical thinking then this is the game for you . Though there are still a few issues with the game like the repetitive puzzles, lack of dynamic dialogue and the game holding your hands so you don't fall, it is definitely still worth playing, knowing  i solved a case that only 25% of the players passed made me feel pretty smart and gave me a big sense of satisfaction

Overall Rating: 8.5/10

Edited by Arsene Lupin

Pretty much my thoughts on the game, especially the gimmicky stages. Magicant and Balloon Fight are the ones I dislike the most.

Yep yep, Magicant would've been hands down my favourite stage if not for those flying men, I agree with the review too.

I like gimmicks and tricks but some stages in the 3DS just...are too much, make it not fun OTL

Anyway

Bayonetta 2

27y51tf.png

Pros-

• Gorgeous Art Style and Visuals
  • Great Music
  • Wonderfully cheesy and over the top characters and moves
  • Tight, Fluid Combat System, great controls with a multitude of moves, while the basic controls are easy for new players to understand (A for arm weapons, X for leg weapons, ZR to dodge), all the combos, the witch time, the fast paced action makes it so long time action fans aren't left without a challenge.
  • Even the touch controls are pretty responsive (tho I wouldn't recommend it for long)
  • While the story is short there is a lot of content to be found and discovered throughout the game.
  • Tag Climax is very fun multiplayer mode and a great way to earn more Halos!
  • Some of the most INTENSE boss fights in any game! The first level boss is scarier and more intimidating than most last level bosses,like seriously, check this guy out

OBVIOUSLY SPOILERS FOR THE FIRST LEVEL BOSS SO YEAH

[spoiler]

You are like an ant compared to him in the game

bayonettae3002.jpg

[/spoiler]

• No more enemies with stupid OHKO's OTL

Cons-

• The main plot is...not good lol but if you're playing Bayonetta for the story then...don't lol.
  • Normal mode in Bayonetta 2 feels like easy mode in Bayonetta 1 I went through the entire game and only died twice, both times because I just wasn't paying attention and lost to sth stupid.
  • Flying bosses are a pain.
  • Moon River doesn't get played NEARLY enough!
  • Some camera shots are <_< I can't really play this game in front of family

Bayonetta is probably my favourite action game ever and this new iteration does not disappoint! If you're a fan of Bayonetta or fast paced action games in general, and like games that doesn't take themselves too seriously, Bayonetta is for you!

It's fast, sexy, over-the-top fun, hands down the my favourite game this year

Atleast until SSB Wii U comes out ~_^

9/10

Edited by Step
  • Like 2

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

8/10

Pros:

This game is well made and optimized, once your PC meet the recommended requirements you shouldn't have problems like FPS dropping regardless of how big is the scenario and of how many enemies are surrounding you. I care more about the performance than the graphics and I didn't tried to play with the HD texture pack but I must say the graphics were gorgeous and satisfying anyway.

Let’s talk about this game’s features, I’ll try to not spoil the story. This game is based on LoTR so if you are a fan this is a positive point.

In the game you play as a guy who end up bonded to a powerful elf spirit (his voice is pretty badass) and both this guy and the spirit has separated skill trees, which is awesome, and as you gain XP in combat or missions you gain points to learn new skills. You have 3 weapons, a sword, a bow and a dagger, each weapon has slots to allocate runes, you gain these runes after killing an Uruk (orc) captain, stronger captains drops stronger runes, these runes add effects to your weapons focused to improve your combat survivability. Another point of interest is the upgrades tree where you can unlock some, err, upgrades, like improve your max health, the amount of arrows you can carry, open new slots to your weapons, etc.

The game has 2 huge maps to explore.

Now I’ll talk about the most interesting feature of the game, imo. The Nemesis System, it’s a dynamic system that generates Uruk captains randomly, so their appearances, names, strengths and weaknesses are always different. When you kill a captain, after some time another one completely different will arise on his place. This system generates some simple missions involving the captains, like, the captain is having a feast with his allies and you can show up and kill them all, or the captain is in a duel against another captain and you appear and kill them both, hahah.

The combat and movements mechanics are pretty similar to Batman Arkham and Assassin’s Creed games, which I see as a positive point because it’s pretty smooth to play. Another interesting point is the variety of execution moves this game offers, you can grab an orc from behind and stab him multiple times, or behead him during combat or explode his head between other options.

All those features add up to the game diversity.

[webm]https://zippy.gfycat.com/CrispKaleidoscopicGull.webm[/webm]

Cons:

Since the beginning, navigating through the menu you will eventually encounter how many main missions the game has and how many you have already completed, which can be a disappointing information to have and spoil your experience.

The main missions are simple and you can complete them easily and fast, that’s what displeased me the most, so most of the fun you have in the game is from fooling around and getting stronger. Sometimes the game feels too easy, even if you are surrounded by 50 enemies you can easily kill them all without taking much damage if you time your blocks and dodges correctly, you can keep rolling on the floor and avoid any damage.

The plot is interesting but once you finish the main story there isn’t much left to do.

Keep in mind that this all is my opinion and this is my first time writing a review, so I may have missed some points, but I recommend this game regardless of the cons, because it’s entertaining and you can have a lot of fun playing this for hours.

Edited by RoisinDubh

51ZOppNjvtL.jpg

Bravely Default (3DS)

The Good:

• Graphics (the 3d models are good for 3ds standards and the sketched backgrounds are lovely)
  • Battle mechanics (the Brave/Default system, job classes, support abilities, friend summoning add a lot to make battles interesting and addictive)
  • Story (it's good for the first half and finale)
  • Adjustable settings (turn-off random encounters, set difficulty mid-game)
  • Great final boss (I like how the developers incorporated the 3ds camera and friend system into the battle).

The Bad:

• Grinding (until you get the Chapter 6 job class, expect a shitload of grinding)
  • Story's second half (tedious pseudo boss gauntlet basically)
  • One note characters (decent voice acting but no emotional investment for the characters)

Overall:

A perfect example of how padding can diminish a game's quality. This game does a lot of great things but equally bad things to make for a love/hate experience and a test for one's patience. Would recommend this to hardcore RPG fanatics and fans of Final Fantasy but not to someone new to RPGs.

8/10

image.aspx?p=uggc%3A%2F%2Fp3.lblb.pbz%2F

Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl (3DS)

The Good:

• First person perspective (this game really wants to make you feel like an explorer)
  • Battle mechanics (turn-based plus Boost system and Grimoire Stones)
  • FOEs (they're like mini-bosses but numerous, they respawn, and move in different ways)
  • Decent story
  • Side quests (plenty of plus bonus exp.)
  • Item collecting (sell them for money, equipment, or side quests)
  • Wonderful graphics (a huge improvement from the original)

The Bad:

• Ball bustingly hard
  • Bullshit moments in boss fights (this is an Atlus game after all)
  • Grimoire Stones (you can beat this game without ever having to understand the synthesis)

Overall:

A solid dungeon-crawler and remake with good looks, simple but engaging battle system, endearing story and characters, and plenty of replay value. Nothing award winning but a satisfying game nonetheless. 9/10

Pokemon Omega Ruby (3DS)

The Good:

• Graphics (everyone and everything got a huge upgrade from the 32-bit original)
  • Features (DexNav and sneaking are the best ^_^)
  • Rivals (they actually act like rivals and do more here than before)
  • Delta Episode (if this part had more work done, it could've been it's own game)
  • Post-game (plenty to do after the Champion battle)

The Bad:

• Cheese (even by Pokemon standards, Game Freak laid it on pretty thick)
  • Antagonists (their methods towards their goal doesn't add up)
  • Framerate drop (nothing that would hinder gameplay but very noticeable in battles)

Overall:

Every Pokemon remake has been a hit and Omega Ruby is no exception. It improves on the original in every aspect, keeping the story and region intact while adding new things to the mix to please old and new fans. Highly recommended. 9.5/10

Edited by His Majesty Robosexual

Pokemon Alpha Sapphire (3DS)

250px-Alpha_Sapphire_EN_boxart.png

Pros:

• All of the 'extra' features (sneaking, the Nav, Eon flute, etc)
  • Smoother animation from XY, with improved details
  • The Delta Episode that followed was exciting (?)
  • There's a lot to try out throughout the game and post-game (contests, battles, secret bases)
  • Despite how corny... lame... and badly written it was, I got feels (actually cried)

Cons:

• Very easy...
  • Removal of Battle Frontier doesn't sit very easy with everybody
  • Due to its early and easy access to Pokebank I just ended up using bred Pokes from XY (my fault)... but I was expecting it to be a post-game option.

I don't really know what else to say. Brain isn't working so well... overall, I give the game about an 7.5/10. It's great, but it just doesn't bring enough to me - if that makes sense. Back to X...

Edited by fgt

20141027104514!Tales_of_Hearts_R_cover.j

Tales of Hearts R (PS Vita)

The Good:

• The battle mechanics (it's so much fun using chase link to juggle and beat the shit out of defenseless enemies)
  • Level up systems (similar to SMT's/Persona's but with the addition of learning an arte, higher skill count, or a new weapon)
  • Decent story
  • Good graphics

The Bad:

• one-note characters (heavy use of anime tropes)
  • re-used assets (the world looks no different from past titles)
  • animation
  • certain puzzles (Fuck those floor puzzles!)

Overall

I always liken the Tales series as a cheesy shounen anime in game form and Hearts R does nothing to change that opinion. A great entry in the Tales series and a must have for the Vita. If you've play other Tales of games, you already know what to expect with Hearts R but for those who are new, the gameplay alone is a blast, the story is alright, and it's 40 hours worth investing in. 9/10

• Like 1

image.aspx?p=uggc%3A%2F%2Fp3.lblb.pbz%2F

Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl (3DS)

The Good:

• First person perspective (this game really wants to make you feel like an explorer)
  • Battle mechanics (turn-based plus Boost system and Grimoire Stones)
  • FOEs (they're like mini-bosses but numerous, they respawn, and move in different ways)
  • Decent story
  • Side quests (plenty of plus bonus exp.)
  • Item collecting (sell them for money, equipment, or side quests)
  • Wonderful graphics (a huge improvement from the original)

The Bad:

• Ball bustingly hard
  • Bullshit moments in boss fights (this is an Atlus game after all)
  • Grimoire Stones (you can beat this game without ever having to understand the synthesis)

Overall:

A solid dungeon-crawler and remake with good looks, simple but engaging battle system, endearing story and characters, and plenty of replay value. Nothing award winning but a satisfying game nonetheless. 9/10

Is this a good game to start the Etrian Odyssey series with?