Forums Rules Staff Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
Sign in to follow this  
wiz109

Rate and Review Video Games You've Played

I thought this would be a good thread for people who are buying newer video games, or looking at some worthwhile older ones to play. 

Rate the game you've played out of 10 and give an explanation on why you gave it that rating.  The explanation doesn't need to be too long, but just enough to give the pros and cons of the game.  Also try not to spoil any story lines for people.

Last game I finished was Tales of Xillia

My Rating: 7/10

This was my first time playing a Tales game, and I am definitely going to check out some other titles in the future. First I'll list out all the bad points of the game.

The Cons: The first obvious thing that sticks out is the terrible voice acting. It's like minimal effort was given by the actors.  The only one that I thought was passable was Alvin.

It was a very slow game to get into in the beginning.  I felt the beginning was very boring, and had I not kept with it until about the 10 hour mark, I'd have probably given up playing it.

I also thought that the story line was way too convoluted.   I didn't know what was going on half the time, or why the characters were doing what they were doing.  This could partially be because I took long breaks in between playing it, but quite honestly I didn't care what was happening either since most of the characters didn't engage me.

The Pros:  The main pro for me was the battle system.  Like I said before this was my first Tales game, I am usually a hardcore Final Fantasy fan, and so I am used to battle systems in those games.  It took some time to get used to and understand, but once I got the hang of it and it was fun, and mainly the thing that kept me playing.

There are also seemed like there was a bunch of things to do, like collecting sub events, killing the Devil Beasts and other optional bosses, and watching useless skits.

The game also offers you the chance to go through the game both the main characters perspectives, letting you see some events you'd miss out if you only go through one.  I haven't done a second play through yet but, I think it is worth it now, whereas  before I thought I just might skip it. 

Lastly my main reason for liking the game:  

tumblr_mw7w3zYjSA1s4h0g8o2_500.gif

tumblr_n21c4wLNvK1s4h0g8o1_500.gif

Hottie King

Yes I am that shallow, I did not care about his mission, whatever the hell he wanted obtain for the world was unimportant. All I needed to do was stare at him, and all would be right with the video game world.

I will definitely buy Xillia 2 when it gets released ( especially because I will stare at more hottie king in the process) 

Silent Hill: Homecoming (I believe it was this one, but all of them are scary to me)

I was super excited to play this game, but I don't think I was able to get pass 5 minutes of it because it was so scary. My dad couldn't even play it. 

I'd still suggest it to people that aren't afraid to play it. I played the more older version when I was younger and loved it. 

8/10 because it really scared me but it was fun for that short amount of time T_T

Edited by itsquinnbro
  • Like 1

Ohh shall bookmark this thread. I'll do a review of Tranisistor once I'm finished it, and will edit in the post. If someone gets to it before me, I'll do a Zelda game instead XD

I'm going to review The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind in short review right now; I'll get to a longer and more proper review later.

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind is the epitome of open-world fantasy roleplaying. The story and lore of the world is so well done that it feels real. The amount of detail that went into the game and the hardcore realism of it is unlike any other fantasy game you will ever play. It is truly the classic of the fantasy series.

• Like 1

I'm going to do a review of Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, I just need to type everything up. 

icpbo9YqOv4rM.jpg

I'll just recite a few games I've played recently cause I'd be here forever if I talked about all of them

Bioshock Infinite

Amazing story, with a rich and detailed world to back it up. Heaps of side content to keep you invested in the world and characters - you wont lose anything if you ignore this stuff but you'll gain a much wider scope on the world of Columbia if you pay attention. Elizabeth is one of the most compelling characters I've seen in a game to date and truly a technical feat as well. Gameplay is not mindblowing but the mechanics are there and they work, sky combat is a nice addition. This game was all about appreciating the amazing art style and the richness of the fictional world of Columbia. 9.5/10

Watch_Dogs

Heaps of hype behind this game but it really doesn't live up to it. Not to say its a bad game, apart from a few pretty dumb glitches here and there the game is very solid, just not the 'next-gen' experience we were promised. Not to mention the visuals were dumbed down heaps from the E3 demos and I had to apply some mods to my game to pump up the graphics (old, superior graphic files found in the game's leftover code). Gameplay, it seems a bit gimmicky at first with all the 'hacking' but eventually you grow to like it and it becomes central to the game, unless you suck at stealth and have to resort to the (pretty poor) shooting mechanics in all your encounters. I like to play stealth so I can avoid the poor gun play. Story is so-so, it gets ridiculously over the top and muddy to a point where I just didn't care anymore. Game doesn't live up to its hype but its a good game regardless. 7.0/10

Titanfall

Another game with heaps of hype, but this one I felt lived up to it. Maybe not all the way, but it was close; for me, this game took everything I knew about FPS and made me reconsider every normal convention when playing it thanks to the amazingly smooth movement mechanics. The parkour, double jumping and overall maneuverability made the game feel really fresh and fun. The gameplay mechanics were all solid and the only thing I could really fault is the lack of weapon balance, aside from that, shooting, parkouring and titan combat was all very well done. Visually the game is nothing special, and doesn't really look much better than your annual COD game but when you pair it with all the titans, explosions and shit going on in the maps it can look pretty cinematic sometimes which is cool. The source-based engine also runs very well on PC as well so that's a plus for me. I've played this game a lot and still do today. 8.5/10

Assassin's Creed 4

Too much boat/pirating gameplay. The Assassin gameplay was great as always with the really robust parkour movement system, and the combat was solid as usual. My biggest problem with this is, on contrary to what many praised, the boating gameplay, it's a more fleshed out system than what was introduced in AC3 but damn does this game have a lot of boating - way too much for my taste. It eventually bored me to death and was a chore everytime I had to get in one, literally all I thought while on boats was 'when can i get back on land and do some assassin shit'. Aside from that, general gameplay was good, story was whatever but follow-able and the visuals were nice although poorly optomized for PC so boo. 6.5/10

• Like 1

Ohh shall bookmark this thread. I'll do a review of Tranisistor once I'm finished it, and will edit in the post. If someone gets to it before me, I'll do a Zelda game instead XD

even if someone else has already done a game, I think you should do it since it's good to see more opinions

0073086530014_500X500.jpg

Shin Meagmi Tensei IV (3DS)

The Good:

• A mix of old-school SMT and new school
  • Graphics while exploring are on par with P4G.
  • Optional tutorials (great for those new to the series).
  • Negotiation system is the best and there's plenty of demons to recruit and fuse.
  • Story is pretty good, as is the voice acting.
  • OST is bitchin'.
  • Alignment system determines which ending you get.
  • Side quests, helpful when level-grinding.

The Bad:

• Level grinding is hell until you get the rights apps.
  • Final boss battle isn't very satisfying.
  • Very easy for the enemy to get the upper hand thanks to the press-turn system and smirk system.
  • Demon sprite graphics in battle look like something from the GBA era.
  • Demons can still run away with your shit.

Overall:

I wouldn't recommend it someone who is new to gaming or RPGs but if you want a game with a good story, decent graphics, engaging battle system and gives you the feeling that every decision you make has an effect on the game, this is the game for you.

8.25/10

Edited by His Majesty Robosexual

Assassin's Creed 4

Too much boat/pirating gameplay. The Assassin gameplay was great as always with the really robust parkour movement system, and the combat was solid as usual. My biggest problem with this is, on contrary to what many praised, the boating gameplay, it's a more fleshed out system than what was introduced in AC3 but damn does this game have a lot of boating - way too much for my taste. It eventually bored me to death and was a chore everytime I had to get in one, literally all I thought while on boats was 'when can i get back on land and do some assassin shit'. Aside from that, general gameplay was good, story was whatever but follow-able and the visuals were nice although poorly optomized for PC so boo. 6.5/10

Couldn't agree more !!! I almost gave up playing it because of this.

Waiting for someone to make a review for Final Fantasy XIII: Lightning Returns. :smile:

10 hr mark for Xillia? NOPE

Gave up after 3 hrs and most likely never going back.

10 hr mark for Xillia? NOPE

Gave up after 3 hrs and most likely never going back.

why you have no interest in Hottie King  :>_>:

Ffxboxart.jpg

Final Fantasy X (PS Vita)

The Good:

• CTB battle system is nice, let's you know whose turn is next
  • Level-grinding is easy
  • Lovely architecture and music
  • Satisfying final boss battle
  • Switching party members mid-battle without wasting a turn
  • Decent story
  • Every party member has a use
  • Sphere Grid (the customization part at least)
  • Summons are awesome

The Bad:

• Story kind of falls apart towards the end
  • Blitzball (unless you like it, I hate sports hence I hate blitzball :lol:)
  • Party characters' personality are average at best
  • Graphics (even the HD version) have not aged well
  • Lack of ATB makes this game too easy
  • Sphere Grid (the filling in/unlocking part at least)
  • Overdrives (good luck with Wakka's and Lulu's)
  • Temple puzzles are tedious.

Overall:

I would definitely recommend this to anyone new to Final Fantasy. The battle system is beginner friendly and the story is decent. Not the best entry in the series but still worth playing.

6.75/10

why you have no interest in Hottie King  :>_>:

cus Hottie King is in a boring game.

hmm i kinda want to do one but i haven't beaten a game in quite a while...

0073086530014_500X500.jpg

Shin Meagmi Tensei IV (3DS)

The Good:

• A mix of old-school SMT and new school
  • Graphics while exploring are on par with P4G.
  • Optional tutorials (great for those new to the series).
  • Negotiation system is the best and there's plenty of demons to recruit and fuse.
  • Story is pretty good, as is the voice acting.
  • OST is bitchin'.
  • Alignment system determines which ending you get.
  • Side quests, helpful when level-grinding.

The Bad:

• Level grinding is hell until you get the rights apps.
  • Final boss battle isn't very satisfying.
  • Very easy for the enemy to get the upper hand thanks to the press-turn system and smirk system.
  • Demon sprite graphics in battle look like something from the GBA era.
  • Demons can still run away with your shit.

Overall:

I wouldn't recommend it someone who is new to gaming or RPGs but if you want a game with a good story, decent graphics, engaging battle system and gives you the feeling that every decision you make has an effect on the game, this is the game for you.

8.25/10

Yes.

I can't wait for someone to review Persona 4. It's been such a long time since I last played video games.

cus Hottie King is in a boring game.

hmm i kinda want to do one but i haven't beaten a game in quite a while...

tbh 10 hours for me  probably would have taken less for someone who is familiar with the Tales series, since i took long breaks in between and forgot whatever the eff I was doing and each time I came back to it I basically relearned the battle system.

Do one anyways, no one said it had to be recent that you beat it.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSz9IutJsQN6wvg2L7nRge

Tales Of The Abyss (3DS)

The Good:

• Fast-paced battle system
  • Free run and FOF which adds to the characters attacks
  • Satisfying final boss fight
  • Decent story and character development
  • The airship has auto-pilot
  • Pretty areas and good OST
  • No random encounters
  • Plenty of side quests

The bad:

• Graphics are semi-polygonal
  • Lots of back-tracking
  • Guard button is located in a weird place
  • A little too melodramatic at times
  • Slight lag at times

Overall:

Definitely a game I would recommend at anyone who likes action RPGs with a good story and gameplay. Whether this is as good as the original PS2 version I can't say, but there's not that many Tales games for handhelds so give it a try.

7.5/10

OP, may I recommend you organize the first post to show what games have and haven't been reviewed? For when the thread becomes larger. Edited by Larry the Cucumber

header.jpg

South Park: The Stick of Truth

So I just got around to replaying this game in the attempt to unlock all the achievements, and I thought, why not review? It's actually my first review :ahmagah:  My more detailed review is in spoilers cause they might contain slight game spoilers

[spoiler]

You play as a new kid in South Park, caught up in a city wide game between the Humans (Cartman's army) vs the Elves (Kyle's army) all fighting over the Stick of Truth, a weapon that can control the universe, but true to the South Park fashion, the harmless little game quickly escalates and becomes something disastrous.

The first thing you do when you start is make an avatar for your character, this isn't the Sims but there are some cool customisation options, you select your skin colour, hairstyle, clothes and facial features and then you start, you can't play as a girl though, which is a shame, but makes sense cause boys and girls don't play with each other in the South Park world, nothing you pick will really determine anything in the game, though there will be some racist remarks from Cartman later on, but it's Cartman so it's ok lol.

After this, it's a short introduction and then you get right into the gameplay, the first thing you notice are the amazing graphics, it looks like you're actually watching an episode of South Park, everything is crisp, clear, colourful, and true to the South Park cardboard cut out style.

So yeah, shortly after the introduction, you meet up with Cartman and start the Tutorial mode, this is where you first pick a class, there are four classes: Fighter, Mage, Thief and Jew. This is where Cartman's racial remarks come in, for example if you pick a brown or black thief, he says "You look sneaky enough to be a thief", if you're black and pick fighter he says "A black fighter? Scary" lolol, but I digress~ picking your class will determine the special you receive, there are some hilarious, creative specials in there, you really can't go wrong, though I haven't played Fighter yet so IDK about that class, it's probably great. After you pick your class you learn the basics, it's a game that's really easy to grasp, so don't worry too much about that, even first time RPG players can pick this up. You have 2 basic methods of attack, a sword attack that can only hurt the first people in a row, and a bow/throwing weapon, that can attack anyone but is generally not as powerful or something, then you have your special attacks which will be entirely dependant on your class, they're normally more powerful and effect more people than your basic attack but they run on a limited "PP" gauge, so don't rely on it, and finally Fart attacks, they're like special attacks but run on a "Fart" gauge, you can also use it out of battles, but this isn't the place for that~

After you finish the quick Tutorial mode, it's on to the game! \O/ You and a partner go and explore the explore the quirky little town of South Park, Colorado, the story itself just a blast to play through, it's guaranteed to keep you laughing throughout, the whole game is packed with easter eggs and references that long time fans will appreciate and new fans who've never seen South Park would still probably find funny, it was a while since I watched South Park before this game came out and I still got found a lot of stuff funny that I either completely forgot about or haven't watched yet, caution for European players though~ Some of the story gets censored, which is kind of a shocker because some stuff that does get through are...well...graphic, but honestly the censor screen itself is hilarious, outside of the main story, the game still does not disappoint, you'll see so many characters and hilarious situations, there are a bunch of side-quests for you to do in order to make friends and get stuff.

It's not all good though, Stick of Truth is a great game, but it's let down by it's short playtime, I finished this entire game over the weekend, side-quests included, the game ended but I didn't feel like it ended, you know? It was over like that, and I payed full price for it! :soul:  Well actually I had a voucher so I didn't pay any money for it, BUT I STILL COULD'VE BOUGHT SOMETHING THAT WOULD'VE GIVEN ME MORE BANG FOR MY BUCK (Or voucher at least.)

I replayed again just to unlock all the achievements and finished it in even less time, I have 3 more achievements to unlock so I'm planning on playing this game one more time for them and I'm probably gonna finish that in less time, the thing is, I wouldn't mind as much if it's fighting wasn't so very basic, the actual fights aren't hard, and when you first get the game, it's fun, but then it eventually gets to a point where you're just...always doing the same thing, it's get repetitive.

[/spoiler]

So yeah

Pros:

-Hilarious great story

-Awesome Graphics

-Easy to grasp gameplay

Cons:

-Farrr too short, even with the side-quests

-Fighting can get repetitive after a while

Overall: 7/10 -

Ultimately, South Park is a very fun game, with a lot of Easter eggs that long time fans of the show are sure to appreciate but is let down by it's short play time and kind of basic fight mode (Which is honestly not that bad, you only start to feel it gets a bit repetitive towards the end), would I recommend it to long time fan? Sure! Would I recommend it to someone completely new to South Park? Yes again, but I'd warn both to maybe get it pre-owned or wait a while, cause you do not want to pay £30-40 for a game that will last you one weekend

Edited by Step

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxjeuUsR0f0

Pros:

challenging

hilariously fun when played like an idiot

everyone is a dickhead so you can be one too

you're not playing league of lesbians

Cons:

you will be shit at the game for a very long time

you think you wont spend money on it but you will, and ALOT

you need 60 minutes of your pathetic life for 1 game. ( this might be a good thing )

you might not be able to get married ( see this link for example )

so all in all i give it 9/10 will waste my time on it.

resident-evil-6-lanzamiento-y-requerimen

Resident Evil 6 is the 4th game I've played in the series. There were a lot of advertisements for the game, and I was also looking forward to playing the game. Little did I know, I would be in for a rather disappointing surprise.

The Pros

The game itself isn't short, having 5 campaign for all of the characters. However, with each campaign, there isn't a lot of chapters. However, the length of each chapter makes up for this.

You can also use upgrades for each character as you play the game. However, you can only use up to three per slot.

The enemies and the concepts for the game were good. The AI is also a lot better than it was in RE5.

The Cons

None of the campaigns were very good. Even though it was somewhat nice to play through five of the scenarios, the storyline was unimpressive. All five scenarios are supposed to come together. This meas that during one character's campaign, one of the characters from a different campaign would be involved. However, this didn't really work out in the game and would've been better without it. The storyline itself would've been better if it was more thought out and didn't seem rushed.

The cover system could've been taken out of the game as well. It wasn't bad, but it was one of the forgettable features in the game.

Overall

I don't recommend this for anyone who is trying to play the series for the first time. RE5 and RE6 were the games that no longer have the survival horror feel in the franchise. If you're looking for a survival horror game to play, chances are pretty high that RE6 is basically a third person shooter. 

Score: 5/10

61vKtxIi-6L.jpg

Pokemon Y (3DS)

The Good:

• New Pokemon to collect and train
  • Graphics are the best in the series
  • Pokemon Amie let's you interact with your Pokemon as if they were pets
  • IV/EV training made easy with Super Training
  • Mega-evolution add a new level of strength to old Pokemon
  • Trainer customization for a change
  • A new type (Fairy)
  • Wi-Fi features improved

The Bad:

• Story is relatively the same as ever
  • Your rival(s) aren't very memorable
  • Incredibly easy by Pokemon standards (even without the broken Exp Share)
  • Not much to do post-game
  • Slight lag here and there
  • Hoard and Sky battles aren't that interesting
  • Evil team does little good for the story
  • Too much pandering to older generations

Overall:

Well it looks nice, I'll give it that. Pokemon Y does some things right and some things wrong but at the end of the day, it's still the same Pokemon game we know and love. Hopefully the next generation will put more effort into difficulty, characters, and amount of Pokemon introduced.

6.5/10

goTREdr.jpg

Dark Souls 2 - PS3

Pros

- combat is good

- simplified the upgrading system. No more green, blue, red, etc titanites

- generous amount of bonfires

- stamina management seems more important which makes you think about actions more

- being able to fast travel from the beginning of the game

- Dragon Aerie looks amazing with all the dragons flying around in the sky

Cons

- riposte/backstab animations don't look or feel as satisfying 

- some bosses and areas look similar to ones in Dark Souls 1

- most of the humanoid boss fights felt the same

- no more ragdoll physics. Some might like that it's gone but i kinda liked it

- no more upgrading at any bonfire

- a lot of merchants have limited stock of specific items which isn't that big of a deal but it's annoying

Overall

It's more Dark Souls with some tweaks here and there. I'm not sure how the difficulty compares. It felt easier than 1 to me but i put 200+ hours into DsK1 so i had time to get decent at the game (i still suck). That might be why 2 felt easier.  I know a lot of people hate on 2 but I don't know what the complaints are so i can't address them. I do like 1 more but 2 is a solid game still. Bring on Bloodborne!

8.5/10

I thought this would be a good thread for people who are buying newer video games, or looking at some worthwhile older ones to play.  

Rate the game you've played out of 10 and give an explanation on why you gave it that rating.  The explanation doesn't need to be too long, but just enough to give the pros and cons of the game.  Also try not to spoil any story lines for people.

Last game I finished was Tales of Xillia 

tales-of-xillia-characters-wallpaper.jpg

My Rating: 7/10

This was my first time playing a Tales game, and I am definitely going to check out some other titles in the future. First I'll list out all the bad points of the game.

The Cons: The first obvious thing that sticks out is the terrible voice acting. It's like minimal effort was given by the actors.  The only one that I thought was passable was Alvin.

It was a very slow game to get into in the beginning.  I felt the beginning was very boring, and had I not kept with it until about the 10 hour mark, I'd have probably given up playing it.

I also thought that the story line was way too convoluted.   I didn't know what was going on half the time, or why the characters were doing what they were doing.  This could partially be because I took long breaks in between playing it, but quite honestly I didn't care what was happening either since most of the characters didn't engage me.

The Pros:  The main pro for me was the battle system.  Like I said before this was my first Tales game, I am usually a hardcore Final Fantasy fan, and so I am used to battle systems in those games.  It took some time to get used to and understand, but once I got the hang of it and it was fun, and mainly the thing that kept me playing.

There are also seemed like there was a bunch of things to do, like collecting sub events, killing the Devil Beasts and other optional bosses, and watching useless skits.

The game also offers you the chance to go through the game both the main characters perspectives, letting you see some events you'd miss out if you only go through one.  I haven't done a second play through yet but, I think it is worth it now, whereas  before I thought I just might skip it. 

Lastly my main reason for liking the game:  

tumblr_mw7w3zYjSA1s4h0g8o2_500.gif

tumblr_n21c4wLNvK1s4h0g8o1_500.gif

Hottie King

Yes I am that shallow, I did not care about his mission, whatever the hell he wanted obtain for the world was unimportant. All I needed to do was stare at him, and all would be right with the video game world.

I will definitely buy Xillia 2 when it gets released ( especially because I will stare at more hottie king in the process) 

i want to get into tales should i play the old games to understand the story?

i want to get into tales should i play the old games to understand the story?

woops sorry for the late reply, 

You don't need to play older games to understand the story, this was my first one as well, I guess it's like Final Fantasy in the sense that all of the games have an independent story.

You might want to ask an actual Tales fan for the one that they thought was the best though and try it.  I didn't find this one bad and it made me interested in playing the others.  I have plans on getting the sequel to this one soon one, I finish playing the stockpile of games I have in my room now.

Edited by wiz109