Please use your display name or email address to log in! User names are defunct. If your display name had special characters, log in with your email address and update your display name asap. ×
Forums Rules Staff Calendar Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nanalisa

Is it smart to start at community college?

I was thinking about going to community college once I graduate high school I'm a junior right now but the thing is

my future college is to get into UMass Boston so If I don't get accepted the first time I would go to community college than transfer.

HAs anyone gone to CC, if so how did you feel? I'm asking this because CC has such a bad reputation because people would say that CC is for dumb people and

for people that didn't do good in hs

I've known some people who transferred to better universities after studying in CC or state. It seems like the courses are easier and it depends on your GPA and application to see if you can get into your transferred Uni. Its risky ofc if you dont get into your UMass afterwards but could be a good alternative if you dont get into any uni you want to get into

Most people in my state start at community college, mostly cuz it's free if you've met certain grade and volunteer requirements. I did. I'm not sure why it has a reputation for being for dumb people, it wasn't any easier or more difficult than the university I went to just cheaper (or in my case free). After you graduate literally no one gives a fuck where you went to university, so my advice would be to choose the path that saves you the most money.

Even though I got accepted to UC Davis and my city's CSU, I was still heavily considering to go to CC when I graduating high school because it was closer and I didn't know what to do with my life. My older siblings did go to CC though, and it's a shame that it has became a stereotype that CC is for "dumb, lazy" people which isn't all the case at all. Some people chose to attend CC for many reasons whether it was due to family circumstances, financially, certain programs etc. We don't know what they're going through so we shouldn't judge.There shouldn't be no shame for someone who is going to CC. 

You have a goal to go UMass Boston. Whether you get accepted directly or you have to go to a CC then transfer, you still have a goal. Don't let other people's stereotype about CC deter you from your goal.

I wouldn't think its a stupid idea and I didn't care if people went to CC. It's great to have a lot of options including your dream schools and those safety ones that you will be guaranteed to get into.  If you don't get into your dream school, there are backup schools to rely on where you can study at. Plus it's more affordable if you are going to struggle to pay for university fees that can add up. Loans are an ass to pay back but people work while attending school. I remember stressing over the application process and choosing which schools to go to. Don't mind what others think of you and work for your future, good luck! 

yes, you'll save a ton. beginning classes @ private universities aren't that special either tbh since it's mainly just intro to concepts. i'd recommend going for one-two years(get an associates) & then transferring. i know plenty of people at private schools who go to cc for specific courses their private colleges don't have & transfer credits so don't believe that horseshit about cc being for stupid ppl lol.

only risk might be getting accepted to your university of choice later & if they'll accept all your credits, but on flip side you'll be able to find out if college is for you at a much lower cost.

the main benefit of big unis is the connections in my experience(visiting speakers, internship programs, teachers who are top professionals in their field). keep in mind this is coming from someone who's currently graduating from a private art college tho so perhaps things will be different for your desired major. if all you need is certification then it doesn't rly matter what school you go to. If you're pursuing law/politics that may be different tho. if it's just general education I wouldn't go to a private collage at all tbh. technical/trade schools can also be a good alternate if you want to learn specific skills(nursing, welding, etc) & tend to be low-cost and have decent connections to the field.

CC's have such a bad rep in the US but what it really comes down to is what you make of yourself. I mean GPA, connection with students/teachers, as well as research(if youre able)

Plus youre gonna save a tonnn of money for the first two years. Your first year(maybe even two) is more than likely going to be composed of gen ed classes you have to fulfill. You can do that anywhere, why not do it somewhere leagues cheaper??

The strength of your application matters more than if you attended a CC or not.If you don't get into UMass Boston after CC, then it's not on the CC but on you. I know plenty of students who went to my CC and got accepted to some of the most prestigious universities in my state, like U of Chicago and Northwestern. The strength of your application matters more than which CC you attend.

Most universities, especially private universities, are so expensive now that I think starting at a community college makes a lot of sense. That's especially true if you aren't sure what direction you want to go with your education or if finances are at all an issue for you or your family. My son started at our local community college, then transferred to our state university (University of Washington). By doing that, and living at home, he finished his bachelor's degree with absolutely no debt - no loans at all to pay back. For him it was a great way to go, because he could get all the low-level courses out of the way, and he could take more time to figure our what he wanted to major in. It was also great for our family, because we didn't need to borrow a lot of money to pay for his education. Our income is high enough that he couldn't qualify for any need-based scholarships or grants, but not so high that paying $50,000 USD per year is nothing. So for both him and for our family, starting his higher education at a community college worked out very well.

My fiancée went to a community college and then transferred to a big state school. It saved her quite a bit, but not everything transferred exactly how she had hoped and she probably should have transferred a semester earlier if she knew. She's now going to have one semester left after we get married, which she doesn't like, but again she's going to graduate debt-free.

Starting at a community college is good if you know the requirements of the school you plan to transfer to, and exactly what you need to take to best transfer credits. It's also important to be aware of degree program requirements that would make it a good idea to transfer sooner - for example, my degree program had a main progression of required courses (one course being a prerequisite for the next) which I believe was 5-6 semesters long at a minimum. So at that point it depends on whether you'd rather take all your gen-eds at the community college and then take only required courses at the more expensive school which might make you graduate a semester or two later, or get everything done ASAP.

I was thinking about going to community college once I graduate high school I'm a junior right now but the thing is

my future college is to get into UMass Boston so If I don't get accepted the first time I would go to community college than transfer.

If you do get accepted by UMass Boston for your freshman year you'll go there, right?

Nothing wrong with a community college. Just remember that a state school such as UMass Boston is already relatively inexpensive compared to the private colleges and universities in the area. (Tuition and fees for UMass Boston are around $14k/year.)

Yes because you'll save so much money doing so. While yes, a lot of people who go the community college transfer route are those who didn't do well in high school or were unable to get into their choice universities, more and more people are opting to start at community college first to get their lower division courses out of the way because it's financially smarter that way, and once they transfer to university they can just focus on their major coursework without having to deal with the unnecessary classes.