Jump to content
OneHallyu Will Be Closing End Of 2023 ×
OneHallyu

And we have another Sex Bribe Case re-opened


Yudah

Recommended Posts

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2019/03/251_265634.html

Prosecutors to probe sex crime involving ex-vice minister

optimize

President Moon Jae-in's special ordering of a thorough reinvestigation this week has cast a fresh spotlight on a 2013 sex scandal possibly involving influential figures from government, politics and business circles.

The scandal is centered on former Vice Justice Minister Kim Hak-ui, who retired from public service in March 2013 amid allegations that he attended a sex party hosted by local contractor Yoon Jung-cheon at his villa in Wonju, 120 km east of Seoul.

The scandal became known to the public after a video clip that was leaked during an adultery probe against Yoon showed a drunken orgy at the remote Wonju villa in which a group of men, including one believed to be Kim, were having a sex party with about 30 women.

Kim was forced to resign only six days after he was appointed to the No. 2 post at the Ministry of Justice, as police and prosecutors launched their investigations into the scandal.

Yoon was suspected of seeking business favors by providing officials and other influential figures sex services, and investigators also suspected illegal substances may have been used by those who frequented the estate.

Yoon probably used the sexual favors as "leverage" to advance his business and even blackmail those involved so he would not be charged by authorities for breaking the law. Yoon was previously implicated in criminal frauds, unauthorized recording of sexual acts and possible possession of illegal substances.

Kim has maintained his innocence.

A businesswoman who leaked the video testified that Kim was the man in the blurry clip, although the National Forensic Service said it couldn't categorically reach the same conclusion.

Prosecutors also rejected a police request to impose an overseas travel ban on Kim on the grounds that police failed to provide legitimate steps for the move and didn't have sufficient evidence against him.

In November of the same year, the prosecution ended its investigation into the sex scandal without filing criminal charges against Kim or Yoon, saying the figures in the video clip could not be identified.

At the time, critics insisted the prosecution intentionally covered up the case apparently under instruction from top figures of the then Park Geun-hye administration, including then-Justice Minister Hwang Kyo-ahn, who is now the chairman of the main opposition Liberty Korea Party.

Following Moon's order, the justice ministry's special commission on past misconduct by the prosecution said Monday it will extend the deadline of its operation, slated for the end of March, by two months.

The commission is expected to dig into the possibility of applying a special rape charge against Kim and reopen a probe into other influential figures who attended the party.

It will also look into suspicion that police and prosecutors who were in charge of investigating the scandal in 2013 purposely overlooked a variety of crucial evidence.

Another focal point in the upcoming reinvestigation is the statute of limitations.

With the controversial video believed to have been shot around 2009, the seven-year statute of limitations for the charge of receiving simple amenities has already run out.

If allegations of forced use of drugs and sexual assault are borne out by evidence, however, the statute of limitations will be lengthened to 15 to 25 years, rendering a criminal punishment of Kim and other suspects possible. (Yonhap)

 

http://world.kbs.co.kr/service/news_view.htm?lang=e&Seq_Code=143713

 

Ex-Vice Justice Minister Refuses Questioning over Reopened Sex Bribe Case

190315033909_52.jpg

A former vice justice minister has refused a request by prosecutors to appear for questioning as part of a reopened investigation into a sex bribery scandal. 

The Supreme Prosecutors’ Office said it notified ex-vice justice minister Kim Hak-ui to come to the Seoul Eastern District Prosecutors’ Office by 3 p.m. on Friday to be questioned, but that he did not appear or respond. 

It said it would try to rearrange the schedule of the summons for Kim. The prosecutors in the case currently do not have the power to forcibly summon a suspect for questioning.

Kim, who was appointed to the post in March of 2013, tendered his resignation less than a week later after media reports that he was one of multiple influential figures who received sex services from women hired by a local construction contractor seeking business favors in 2009. 

The police questioned him later in the year and sent the case to the prosecution, requesting an indictment. However, the prosecutors at the time cleared him of the charges after closed-door questioning.

 

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20190307000626

 

[Newsmaker] ‘Choi Sun-sil was behind appointment of Vice Justice Minister Kim Hak-ui’

Prosecutors reinvestigating the sex scandal of a former vice justice minister have obtained a statement that Choi Sun-sil, the infamous confidante of former President Park Geun-hye, had played a role in getting the ex-vice minister appointed.

Kim Hak-ui, who resigned over a sex-for-favors scandal six years ago, had faced multiple charges including rape, bribery and narcotics use, but was cleared of the charges in 2013. Video footage appearing to show intimate encounters between Kim and others at a vacation house had gone viral at the time.
20190307000765_0.jpg

The inquiry team recently questioned Park Gwan-cheon, who handled personnel verification under the senior presidential secretary for civil affairs in 2013.

Park reportedly said the presidential office had known about the existence of the footage before appointing Kim as vice justice minister, but went ahead with the appointment because of Choi, who knew Kim’s wife.

Based on Park’s statements, the inquiry team sought to interrogate Choi, who is in jail, but Choi refused to speak with them.

The senior presidential secretary’s office in 2013 also tried to learn about the investigation into Kim at the National Forensic Service, possibly to verify whether the figure in the footage was Kim. 

A construction contractor named Yoon Joong-cheon, who had plied high-ranking officials including Kim with sexual services at his vacation home, told the inquiry team on Jan. 28 that he “gave tens of millions of won†to former prosecutor general Han Sang-dae.

The inquiry team said in a press release Monday that police omitted some 30,000 items of “digital evidence†as they referred Kim’s case to the prosecution in 2013, stoking backlash from the police officer who had investigated the case at the time.

Meeting with reporters at the National Police Agency on Wednesday, the officer, who is now a senior superintendent, refuted the inquiry team’s claims.

About the inquiry team’s announcement that some 16,000 files restored from Yoon’s laptop and SD card memory had disappeared, the senior superintendent said the laptop was used by Yoon’s children, and the files were discarded because they were of no use.

A report that the files were of no value was sent to the prosecutor and police discarded them under the prosecutor’s command. 

“The inquiry team was set up to address wrongdoings by the prosecution, and now it’s going after the police, which isn’t right,†the senior superintendent said.

“I wish they would refrain from actions that damage the honor and dignity of police officers who investigated the case with all their might.â€

The warrant for the raid at the time had a note saying that only electronic information related to the charges should be printed or copied, and those unrelated to the charges must be promptly deleted or discarded, the senior superintendent said, adding that police acted accordingly.

When police send confiscated items to the prosecution, the prosecution goes through each and every item, even the number of toothpicks, and does not accept them if they do not match the reports, he said.

“If something is not right, they immediately call it to question. That’s what they do. But they didn’t do anything for six years,†he said. 

([email protected])

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

 

 Yoon probably used the sexual favors as "leverage" to advance his business and even blackmail those involved so he would not be charged by authorities for breaking the law. Yoon was previously implicated in criminal frauds, unauthorized recording of sexual acts and possible possession of illegal substances.

 

why...it sounds familiar..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Disgusting. It’s tiring to see these higher-ups getting away with their crimes again and again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Back to Top