Forums Rules Staff NEW Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Salieri

Has anyone ever thought about quitting a degree/job?

I'm asking because I feel that I will be doing that soon (for my own postgrad studies), has anyone on this fourm ever thought about quitting a job or your own degree?

My current problem for my degree is:

Not understanding java and the maths behind computer science and finding myself lost in what I really want for my job.  Fear of failure in terms of the course, having to fail one course, getting a tolerated fail in one other and passing just by scraping the grade. Furthermore, I feel my passion in computer science really just dropped over the months I’ve been studying it. I just don’t see myself in the filed after I graduate and really just lost all passion in studying it. I'm getting pretty high grades in my course but I lost all motivation to keep going (been like this for 3 months and I'm completely lost)  My only reason to keep doing the course is because I'm scared of the unknown.

The good things about the course I've found out was:
Meeting my peers and being able to understand why something happen and getting the degree but seriously after the 5 months I really don't see myself doing it for the future of my life and quite frankly it just makes me really dislike technology for the way it is. I love the market and how innovations work but quite frankly I just hate the development of one and understanding what things does.

If anyone has could someone give me some advice here?

yes, I've thought about quitting my current job and moving on a lot of times, especially since business has been slowing down a lot and we're no longer as busy as we used to be (I work in a restaurant--low sales = less tips), and plus working in a restaurant is not a lifelong kind of job unless you're going into management. 

yeah

i feel like i've reached the "top" of my life but even so i'm still not happy at all

it's killing me inside and soon enough it will kill me outside too

yeah i dropped the University once, also i have no problems quitting jobs lol 

im not really scared of uknown, maybe when i'll be close to retirement then i will.

whats there to be scared of in 20/30ties?

nah but seriously, the "thought and fear of thinking about doing it.. is actually lot worse than doing it.

It's normal to feel discouraged when things don't go they way we want. What you have to ask yourself is: I'm regretting this because I suddenly hate computer science or because the path is harder than what I expected? This is an important reflection. I had the same feelings going thru med school, but I realized it was because I was tired and stressed. 

Also computer science field is HUGE. A friend of mine realized he hated most of it, it was not what he thought it would be back in highschool. However there was a tiny part (more oriented to companies) he really liked and decided to go that way and now he is the "rich-friend" lol. So try to think how do you want your job/position to be, and if there is any way to get to it with your current degree.

yes, i legit just started medical school and i've thought of quitting

i can relate to your reasons, make sure to find what you want to do next if you quit your degree!

try to think about what else you would like to do if you quit. quitting just bc you don't like it anymore without a backup plan will make you feel even more lost. if you do it at least have a clear plan to follow and achieve your goals.

i almost quit cos i was scared of the responsibility and thought i wasn't good enough.. thought i hated my field and had 1000 reasons why... turns out i was actually depressed

I dropped my intended major a year before I was finished. I was majoring in Education, dropped it, and applied to the Business school-majored in Finance. I still ended up graduating on time and I don't regret dropping Education, but I wish I had taken time off before changing my major. I do not like my job at all and am thinking about going to grad to school. That being said, I would never quit a job without already having a plan place. 

It's normal to feel discouraged when things don't go they way we want. What you have to ask yourself is: I'm regretting this because I suddenly hate computer science or because the path is harder than what I expected? This is an important reflection. I had the same feelings going thru med school, but I realized it was because I was tired and stressed.

Also computer science field is HUGE. A friend of mine realized he hated most of it, it was not what he thought it would be back in highschool. However there was a tiny part (more oriented to companies) he really liked and decided to go that way and now he is the "rich-friend" lol. So try to think how do you want your job/position to be, and if there is any way to get to it with your current degree.

I don't hate computer science it's still such a interesting subject to me but it's just so intensive that I find myself stressing and often time crying to myself to sleep, it's just not good for my mental health. My professor told me to do it part time but I'm just like.... I don't know which is why I've been thinking of suspending rather than the whole withdrawal. See what the world really has instead of just wasting time moping to myself about it. I've talked to a close friend of mine earlier today and he told me to self reflect which I've just been thinking for the whole day.

I'm a graduate with a business management degree and honestly finding a job in soical media has always been something I found to be really interesting to me. But as for seeing a job in computer science, human computer interaction, the way people use computers has always been something that I wanted to peruse (I'm doing the course but it's so dry which I don't see myself doing). What my course has taught me is that I just like using computers and not actually the theroies behind it.

yes, i legit just started medical school and i've thought of quitting

i can relate to your reasons, make sure to find what you want to do next if you quit your degree!

I've been applying to jobs and been asking people I know if they have any contacts I can use to get a job, I've asked around my uni/college and they told me i can see them for a meeting next week. I've been just researching what jobs i can do. My main issue is that people (employers might see my application form and say that I'm just a failure) so I'm quite scared in that aspect.

try to think about what else you would like to do if you quit. quitting just bc you don't like it anymore without a backup plan will make you feel even more lost. if you do it at least have a clear plan to follow and achieve your goals.

i almost quit cos i was scared of the responsibility and thought i wasn't good enough.. thought i hated my field and had 1000 reasons why... turns out i was actually depressed

Sometimes I've just wished I thought it to be more clear rather than perusing my childhood fantasy (which was actually learning and developing computers)..

I've been applying to jobs and been asking people I know if they have any contacts I can use to get a job, I've asked around my uni/college and they told me i can see them for a meeting next week. I've been just researching what jobs i can do. My main issue is that people (employers might see my application form and say that I'm just a failure) so I'm quite scared in that aspect.

don't be discouraged if a company doesn't call you immediately cause the thing takes time (sometimes a LOT)

Job hunting is super stressing but you can do it!

and you're not a failure at alllovestruck.png

I'm in the same boat as you. I thought about quitting many times after one particular class but I don't really know what I want to do after. It's not like I have a 'dream job'. But I feel like I'm just gonna stick with computers because I already took a lot classes and wasted money. I might just stick to this and when I make money + be on my own, I'll slowly branch out to see what I enjoy doing. The only advice I can give to you is maybe see if there are any other fields related to what you are currently doing and see if you would enjoy it. 

And I honestly think that it was a great idea to follow your childhood dream. I've always believe it's better to live your life without any regrets. It's pretty cool that you went for it. Although, you discovered it may not really be for you, you actually tried it.

Anyways, good luck! I wish you the best. Sorry I can't really help you rlytearpls.png  

i've changed my major twice when i'm almost finished with the program. 

I think I wasn't sure about my degree (software engineering) until the first integrative project class (one every two semester) where we built a robot that could cross a labyrinth by itself using some knowledge of the classes that we had. Way better than theoretical class only. The second one was to build a team software applications. Again, pretty interesting, learned a bunch of stuff, got experience and also that's what I signed for (to build software). If you have these kind of classes, may be worth trying to see if it delighted your passion. I'm not sure what you want to create with computer science, but maybe getting in touch with the practical could clear up your vision.

Sometimes I've just wished I thought it to be more clear rather than perusing my childhood fantasy (which was actually learning and developing computers)..

I read your other replies and i used to feel the same way lol.. i also followed my childhood dream and regretted it for a while thinking it was a bad choice but now i'm really happy i did it.

i'd still encourage you to at least finish what you already started if money isnt an issue. Then after that you can look for something else to do. Bc if you ever want to go back to CS you won't regret dropping out. Maybe you just need a short break from all the studying. I hope you'll figure it out

I read your other replies and i used to feel the same way lol.. i also followed my childhood dream and regretted it for a while thinking it was a bad choice but now i'm really happy i did it.

i'd still encourage you to at least finish what you already started if money isnt an issue. Then after that you can look for something else to do. Bc if you ever want to go back to CS you won't regret dropping out. Maybe you just need a short break from all the studying. I hope you'll figure it out

The thing is I just hate programming in general and it's something that I can't wrap my head around despite countless amount of hours inside of the library learning things that doesn't interest me and quite frankly stresses me out. I'm currently looking for a job and than proably restart my master course on a different course and just support myself there.  I discovers throughout the course I'm not one whom enjoys it but I rather be using what CS people have done and than applying it (more on the lines of informatics) rather than the whole technological aspect. I rather do something that actually impacts the world.

I was in the situation when I was totally burnout. I was so sick of the university, my professors, all the university life. I refused to attend classes, I almost did not perform homework. This behavior of mine ended very badly. When their parents found out about my failures they were completely shocked. To somehow remedy the situation had to spend money on additional services. I got out of this situation and my studies were fully resumed, but honestly, I am still not sure whether it was worth all that effort. Maybe I should just finish it and move in some other direction.

Many a time. I will advise that if you want to quit a job or a degree, have a back-up plan for it. Think about what you are really interested in and what you really want so that you will reduce the chances of quitting again

I thought about quitting towards the end of my undergraduate career. Although I loved (and still love) my major and everything related to that field, I started feeling like I wasn't as good as I thought I was and felt like I'd chosen the wrong career path. But I went through with it and got my degree. Unfortunately (Spanish) translators aren't much in demand where I currently live so I don't have any opportunities here as far as that.

As per my job: I had a lot of trouble finding one in the first place. Am I happy? Absolutely not. It's stressful and mentally tiring and I feel extremely pressured but it's really the only choice I have currently. As much as I'd like to quit, I've spent enough time not doing anything with my life. 

My advice to you is simply to try to have a back-up plan. If you're not happy with what you're majoring in, think about what you would enjoy and if it's a viable option. Always try to have a plan B. It'll be a huge help. Otherwise, you'll be stuck feeling lost and even more frustrated. 

I thought about quitting uni a few times, I study art because I was basically pressured into it and I feel like my degree is going to end up being pointless. Plus my course sucks because the tutors are biased and the people on it are kind of annoying most of the time. I ultimately decided to stick it out because if I quit it means I've wasted time and effort at uni and I won't get anything in return. Plus I have no plan B. So I'd say if you are sure that you want to leave make sure you have another degree/ course lined up or a job you can fall back on otherwise things will likely be difficult for you. If you are really that unhappy though make sure you do what you think is best for yourself, your happiness and mental health are important too.

yup. My first years in college were hard. I had to balance between work and study and didn't have time for entertainments at all. I thought about quitting all the time but then I changed my mind. I even had to buy an essay a few times. I think higher education gived more opportunities to get a well-paid job and make a career.

I’ve quit my job almost four weeks ago. I loved at first, global company, huge projects, cool boss, but I started to feel oppressed when my noss started to ask me to finish work during my paid vacation. Why he had to ask me, the only woman on the team who was in vacation, and not the other 8 male team-members? I called the bills. And I had no backup plan either. I sold a few stuff to be able to maintain the life style I always had. But in five days I scored a interview for the DREAM JOB and I am happy where I am now. I love my company, I love my co-workers.

Sometimes you need to find courage to change everything but it’s better then to regret it later.