Search Engine

Advanced Search

Photo

what's something about your country that ppl get wrong ideas/impressions about?

40 replies to this topic

#1 tamarind

tamarind

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts
  • Location*。.:*☆.。.:*。.:*☆.。 𝕚𝕧𝕠𝕣𝕪 𝕞𝕚𝕤𝕥𝕣𝕖𝕤𝕤 .。.:*☆.。.:*。.☆.。*。

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:37 AM

like ppl from outside of iceland thinks that iceland is super cold in winter but winter's actually warmer there than say, the uk and other north european countries

#2 eternal glow

eternal glow

jungbrahimovic

• PipPipPipPip
  • 7,205 posts
  • Location♡ cross the sunset w/ gfriend ♡

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:44 AM

Giant spiders, roaches, deadly insects everywhere in Australia. They aren't that common. Just depends where you live/go. 

#3 lighterxx

lighterxx

17's Sebong

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts
  • Locationin my dreams~

people think we are arabic interestingly o.o its turkey btw

#4 In July

In July

Long-term Trainee

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

A pen pal once asked me whether I rode kangaroos to school....... This was like 10 years ago, so I hope the world has become more informed since then

#5 Nip&Hip

Nip&Hip

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationDiss hajima

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:46 AM

People think I live in the middle of the desert just because we're in the middle east but I've yet to see the desert in my country. I've been asked if we use camels for transportation unironically.

#6 UMJI MOODS

UMJI MOODS

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,217 posts
  • LocationAll over

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:48 AM

So much about the U.S. that I will narrow it to my state California. That everyone is tanned, blonde and lives by the ocean. I'm pale, brown haired and live in the desert. As a matter of fact I haven't seen the ocean since my teens.

#7 Aliens-United

Aliens-United

⌜Giant-Killer⌟

• PipPipPipPip
  • 8,157 posts
  • LocationLying between my visual kings, AGUST D and his JUIY J, wondering if I should ever leave them for another and the answer is, 'Not Today' // Click on my sig to visit the SugaKookie thread

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:56 AM

That Malaysians still live in longhouses in the jungle.

#8 tamarind

tamarind

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 05:00 AM

A pen pal once asked me whether I rode kangaroos to school....... This was like 10 years ago, so I hope the world has become more informed since then

what... even...

#9 tamarind

tamarind

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 05:01 AM

People think I live in the middle of the desert just because we're in the middle east but I've yet to see the desert in my country. I've been asked if we use camels for transportation unironically.

yes a lot of ppl have misconceptions about a lot of countries in the middle east. i know i used to

#10 tamarind

tamarind

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 05:03 AM

So much about the U.S. that I will narrow it to my state California. That everyone is tanned, blonde and lives by the ocean. I'm pale, brown haired and live in the desert. As a matter of fact I haven't seen the ocean since my teens.

my dad is from the other side of the state and it's been years since i last went to the us so i'm guilty of this too. now i know better lol

#11 tamarind

tamarind

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 05:06 AM

That Malaysians still live in longhouses in the jungle.

makes me think that they have zero incentive to google it and choose to take how hollywood films portray malaysia and neighboring countries

Giant spiders, roaches, deadly insects everywhere in Australia. They aren't that common. Just depends where you live/go.

thank goodness

#12 tamarind

tamarind

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 05:07 AM

people think we are arabic interestingly o.o its turkey btw

maybe because its geography lol

#13 lighterxx

lighterxx

17's Sebong

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts
  • Locationin my dreams~

Posted 12 February 2019 - 05:11 AM

maybe because its geography lol

why? next to us there is european countries, on top too, at the opposite sides there is arabic countries, this would at least mean there is few people who think we are european lol but there is none

i think its because of religion, they just assume

#14 Ek Tha Bandhar

Ek Tha Bandhar

Supreme Leader Of Musketeers Club

• PipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts
  • LocationSitting on top of the tree eating my bananas, while you irrelevant nugus are sprawling around the ground eating banana peels

Posted 12 February 2019 - 05:14 AM

I totally agree 

all of the stereotypes about Australia are really wrong too

#15 tamarind

tamarind

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 05:15 AM (Edited by tamarind, 12 February 2019 - 05:16 AM.)

why? next to us there is european countries, on top too, at the opposite sides there is arabic countries, this would at least mean there is few people who think we are european lol but there is none

i think its because of religion, they just assume

i see. that could be the case. i personally think of turkey as a hybrid asian/european country (which is true to some extent) but because its location ppl tend to group turkey with middle east nations when it seems like turkey is more closely related to the likes of kazakhstan and turkmenistan.

yeah the religion thing makes sense

#16 lighterxx

lighterxx

17's Sebong

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts
  • Locationin my dreams~

Posted 12 February 2019 - 05:23 AM

i see. that could be the case. i personally think of turkey as a hybrid asian/european country (which is true to some extent) but because its location ppl tend to group turkey with middle east nations when it seems like turkey is more closely related to the likes of kazakhstan and turkmenistan.

yeah the religion thing makes sense

kind of sad, to have such stereotype against religious beliefs but anyway, its all about education

#17 cooky-chan

cooky-chan

♡ Namjoon's Wife ♡

• PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationLying in my bed~

Posted 12 February 2019 - 05:36 AM

I've never seen any of these before in the wild unless i go to an exhibition, zoo or aquarium to see these things.imstupid.png

I've seen a huntsman before though. That thing is huuugeee.  it's at the size of my palm including its legs.  amgplz.png

#18 smrookies girls

smrookies girls

Star

• PipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:05 AM

People think we're rude and think that visiting Paris = visiting the whole country. I don't think we're rude, it's just cultural differences and the habit of a lot of tourists to talk to busy people...or people who don't speak English.
And France is a diverse country in terms of culture, food, architecture, and no place is similar... so when I say to people that no I'm not from Paris and they say it'a the same... It's upsetting

#19 Edgemoon

Edgemoon

Senior Idol

• PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:10 AM

I think people confuse Italians with Spaniards or think we're really loud and talk like the Italian-Americans

#20 hyoknim

hyoknim

Idol

• PipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:21 AM

let me staaaaaaaaaart. 

we are all one single "ethnicity" and we are all dark, with black hair and so on. yeah, no, my country has been invaded by different people in different regions and it depends on where you live, you won't look anything alike. even my own region, which is the southest of them all: had spanish, germans, english, french, moors, ancient greeks, latins, and so on. also italy has been existing for less than 200 years, there is nothing as a uniform genetic pool here. 

we all get easily tanned. my bff becomes red during summer and then gets back to be her usual milk skin. i have never seen her tanned once. on the other side i do tan easily.

we eat spaghetti with meatballs. i could write an essay about this. meatballs are a secondo piatto, aka something we mostly eat separately from pasta. but you can make a sauce with those meatballs that can be put in the pasta. some regions do eat mini meatballs with pasta, but most of the time without tomato.

in general, we eat pasta everyday. yeah, no

we are all loud. some are really loud, some are not

we always use a specific hand gesture. we have a lot of gestures cause up to 200 years ago my country didn't exist and every single region spoke a different language, so we used hand gesture mostly to communicate. if you do the specific italian hand gesture, that americans love so much, to a random person in the streets here, you can get into a quarrel, cause that isn't a nice gesture at all

every italian can cook. no, i know people who don't even know how to prepare pasta

italians are all fascists. yes and no. fascism was born here and there are a lot of fascists around, but it's illegal to present yourself as a fascist, to do the roman salute, to display fascist souvenirs and propaganda. you get fined.

italia/sicilia = mafia. if you encounter any italian or sicilian outside of italy or, even worse, in italy and the first thing you are going to tell them is "Oh sicilia= mafia" you are offending that person and you are being a piece of trash. mafia is still pretty much alive and still causes lots of problems here. i, personally, don't take jokes that compare me with people who melt children into acid as a compliment. :) romanticising mafia is not cool. FULL STOP.

i have many more, but yeah. 

Up, Up and Away!