Forums Rules Staff Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Baby Pickle

What does your culture people look like and is colorism a thing in your culture?

This is not to discriminate or generalise any culture 

Personally my culture is very diverse when it comes to looks. I guess it might be because of our background. 

• eyes: deep eye-socket
  • mostly thin lips
  • kinda smooth silky hair
  • hair colour: black, brown, ginger,, honey shade, blond etc
  • eyes colour: brown, green, hazel, turquoise, blue, grey etc

(green eyes are more common than blue eyes between pashtuns lol)

• fair skin

Honestly skin tone is a minor issue among pashtuns. It is more important being hospitable, ghairati (honorable?), respectful etc. I mean for pashtuns skin is just skin they are more interested in your culture and behaviour.

Brazil doesn't have a "look" because most of the population is mixed

brazil1.jpg

colorism? I don't think so, maybe a preference? people like to look tanned and praise a "beach" look

Like Brownish , im more of a light brownish. Im not trying to sound stereotypical but girls and boys ive seen who are full Tongan have thick thighs. (I wished i had thick thighs too) Most people in my culture that ive come to learn about are really thick. Usually Black curly hair. Brown eyes. Really tall imo. Most girls are taller than me even though im tall myself (1.75cm)

Australia , country of diversity so i cant really describe 

(Im half Aussie and half polynesian , i didnt discover until this year (tongan) )

America

It depends where you are lol some areas are “whiter†than others

Very diverse.

I don't even really know what ethnicity I am. Just my caste.

eyes: deep eye-socket

mostly thin lips

Thick and dark hair

hair colour: black, brown,

eyes colour: brown

Medium to darker skin. I am lighter because my mum is lighter skinned. Also we're characterised by our high nose bridges? That's what I've heard at least.

Also not very tall. 180cm is extremely tall. Will have Khan as a last name often though it's not mine because dad doesn't care about caste.

Yes to colourism. Kali is not an uncommon derogatory word thrown around. Also my family members swear by "fair&lovely"

Very diverse.

I don't even really know what ethnicity I am. Just my caste.

eyes: deep eye-socket

mostly thin lips

Thick and dark hair

hair colour: black, brown,

eyes colour: brown

Medium to darker skin. I am lighter because my mum is lighter skinned. Also we're characterised by our high nose bridges? That's what I've heard at least.

Also not very tall. 180cm is extremely tall. Will have Khan as a last name often though it's not mine because dad doesn't care about caste.

Yes to colourism. Kali is not an uncommon derogatory word thrown around. Also my family members swear by "fair&lovely"

Dude are you pashtun or punjabi 

(my mom side are khans and my dad side are shahs)

Dude are you pashtun or punjabi 

(my mom side are khans and my dad side are shahs)

Punjabi lol. Most of my relatives are Khans.

Punjabi lol. Most of my relatives are Khans.

ah that's cool

Australia , country of diversity so i cant really describe 

we’re brown to dark skinned, “tall noses†and nosebridge, full lips and high cheekbones

Almond shaped eyes, brown eyes, black hair, wavy to Afro textured hair

we’re tall and slender people with long legs af.

We’re a homogenous people (mostly) with an exception of Bantu minority, and a minority group with admixture from maybe 300 years back (we have a term for them, they’re mostly mixed with Portuguese, Arab and African)

Yea :)

Nicaragua, like most latin countries has very diverse people. But most common features are big almondy eyes, dark skin (not too dark or too light) most people have brown eyes and dark hair, not necessarily black and it's very often wavy/curly, no wonder my mom gets praised a lot because of the straight, very black hair

I don't think colorism is a problem in my ethnic culture, although lighter skin is preferred.

Eyes: small monolids to big double lids

Lips: usually on the fuller side

Hair colour: black to dark brown

Eye colour: dark dark brown to light brown

Skin tone: very tan to pale, but not white pale

Nose: not big or tall

There is this certain look that quite a few girls have that make me automatically know they're the same ethnicity as me.

America though, as a whole, colorism can be a problem here.

America

It depends where you are lol some areas are “whiter†than others

Isn't this the Template Beauty Standards of America for ages despite how well diverse the country is? 

b58ef79494d2487090e2ce890c9cf395.jpg

OT: Unfortunately Colorism is still a thing in my country whose beauty standards are leaning towards the "fairer" type despite how semi diverse the population are. 

Isn't this the Template Beauty Standards of America for ages despite how well diverse the country is? 

b58ef79494d2487090e2ce890c9cf395.jpg

OT: Unfortunately Colorism is still a thing in my country whose beauty standards are leaning towards the "fairer" type despite how semi diverse the population are. 

Not in a loooooooong time. Now the beauty standard really depends on the region and the group they belong to. The people who would find her features most attractive, generally the older generation, think she looks too young to them, they are more likely to say she looks like a child. It doesn’t mean your example is not liked, it’s just that they are nowhere near the template beauty anymore. It really depends on which group they belong to or where they are from.

Instagram teens, for example, have a different type of template beauty: big shiny eyes, heart-shaped faces, thick eyebrows, pouty lips. Hair and skin color doesn’t matter much to them.

Nerds love redheads, fake or real. Superhero comic books or shows, fantasy books or shows, tech documentaries etc. are filled with redheads. They especially like pale freckled redheads with green eyes.

Shows that are popular in the black belt (region in South US) are filled with girls with huge asses. Tanned girls are preferred over pale ones, but not too dark ones and that has led to multiple discussion on light skin vs dark skin preference among black people.

And so on. As I said, it reeeeally depends.

Not in a loooooooong time. Now the beauty standard really depends on the region and the group they belong to. The people who would find her features most attractive, generally the older generation, think she looks too young to them, they are more likely to say she looks like a child. It doesn’t mean your example is not liked, it’s just that they are nowhere near the template beauty anymore. It really depends on which group they belong to or where they are from.

Instagram teens, for example, have a different type of template beauty: big shiny eyes, heart-shaped faces, thick eyebrows, pouty lips. Hair and skin color doesn’t matter much to them.

Nerds love redheads, fake or real. Superhero comic books or shows, fantasy books or shows, tech documentaries etc. are filled with redheads. They especially like pale freckled redheads with green eyes.

Shows that are popular in the black belt (region in South US) are filled with girls with huge asses. Tanned girls are preferred over pale ones, but not too dark ones and that has led to multiple discussion on light skin vs dark skin preference among black people.

And so on. As I said, it reeeeally depends.

What I meant is that the Eurocentric features like Blonde hair and Blue eyes on Caucasians? I've still seen so many people worships this over there. 

What I meant is that the Eurocentric features like Blonde hair and Blue eyes on Caucasians? I've still seen so many people worships this over there. 

Like I said, depends where they come from, or what group they belonng to. People like different features based on personal preference. There is no single beauty standard, there are multiple ones concurrent with each other often even opposite.

Like I said, depends where they come from, or what group they belonng to. People like different features based on personal preference. There is no single beauty standard, there are multiple ones concurrent with each other often even opposite.

But you can't deny that this features are often glamorized and glorify in your media hence people are brainwashed to think this is the look and the beauty standards. 

But you can't deny that this features are often glamorized and glorify in your media hence people are brainwashed to think this is the look and the beauty standards. 

Not in a long time. Right now the Kardashian look is the most glamorized on the media, everyone is trying to look like them. Before that it was Angelina Jolie's, everyone wanted to have her lips, everyone wanted to be compared to her. Before her, Jennifer Aniston, everyone wanted the Rachel hairstyle, she loved everywhere. And before her, it was the tanned, sun bleached surfer look, who I don't know who started it. But that's the last time blonde hair was glamorized in the media, now people who have that look are considered trashy. That was almost 40 years ago. 

Not in a long time. Right now the Kardashian look is the most glamorized on the media, everyone is trying to look like them. Before that it was Angelina Jolie's, everyone wanted to have her lips, everyone wanted to be compared to her. Before her, Jennifer Aniston, everyone wanted the Rachel hairstyle, she loved everywhere. And before her, it was the tanned, sun bleached surfer look, who I don't know who started it. But that's the last time blonde hair was glamorized in the media, now people who have that look are considered trashy. That was almost 40 years ago. 

How about Marilyn Monroe? Madonna? Britney Spears,  all this white pop female stars had done this blonde do to look more interesting and I won't deny even lowkey Beyonce. Isn't that still an example of glamorizing this features? 

How about Marilyn Monroe? Madonna? Britney Spears,  all this white pop female stars had done this blonde do to look more interesting and I won't deny even lowkey Beyonce. Isn't that still an example of glamorizing this features? 

1. older than 40 years ago, yes, that was a time it was glamorized she was even in a movie called "Gentlemen prefer blondes" in 1953

2. 40 years ago, then it became part of her iconic image, so it became about brand recognition

3. On purpose for her image, she was supposed to have the naive look (blondes are stereotyped as dumb). That's why they often put her in pigtails and braids too, to make her look more childlike to go with her naive image.