Forums Rules Staff Themes Leaderboard Quick Links Clubs Awards Member Shop OH! Press

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marshmallows

Christians (and muslims) there's something I don't get about the story of Sodom and Gomorrah

Eh sorry if these questions sound stupid or if I got anything wrong...

So Sodom and Gomorrah are both cities (?) that were destroyed by God for their acts of homosexuality.

That's the Christian version in Islam they are called the people of Lut.

I guess some argue that it wasn't because of homosexuality but because of their other sinful acts but the majority of the scholars of both religions agree on it being because of homosexuality.

The people of Sodom were rich and bored so they decided to go flaming homo but that doesn't make any sense if we take our modern understanding of homosexuality/Bisexuality in consideration.

The majority of people are heterosexual.

Sure there are a lot of people with fluid sexuality but they by far aren't the majority.

Statistically it's inaccurate. Why would ALL of the people in an entire city participate in it?

I understand that homosexuality wasn't always "unacceptable" throughout history but in most civilizations were it wasn't stigmatized it wasn't really anything more than a cultural practice like the Greek civilization for example.

It wasn't even homosexuality per se because the concept of sexuality in itself didn't exist.

But the religious scriptures state that it wasn't a cultural practice for the people Sodom it was because of lust and boredom. So it wasn't something they practiced but something they decided to suddenly do.

Also why is there no specific mention of lesbianism? Only the men participated?

Lol I’m a bit rusty and used to play games on my phone during sermons so though I believe, I’m not conscientious and by no means an expert. But I’ve always thought that it’s because they wanted to rape them.

Edit: okay I did some googling and this is the best answer I found.

“Ezekiel 16:49 New International Version (NIV)

49 “‘Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy.â€

Anyway (in my own and personal opinion), this reflects the essence of the ten Commandments which is basically love God (first 4) and love people (the rest). And the actions of Jesus also reflects this—basically loving people that society accused as “wrong†etc. And the Christians who spew hate today resemble the Pharisees that were the bad guys in the New Testament.

It wasn't just homosexuality, it was a combination of that, prostitution, drinking, venerating false gods etc...

You can't really use logic and statistics with religious scriptures, everything in there is written to conviniently fit in with their religious beliefs. If they didn't like something they would just write that it is a sin condemned by God and run with it.

It wasn't just homosexuality, it was a combination of that, prostitution, drinking, venerating false gods etc...

You can't really use logic and statistics with religious scriptures, everything in there is written to conviniently fit in with their religious beliefs. If they didn't like something they would just write that it is a sin condemned by God and run with it.

What i fucking thought of reading the title LMAOOOO

Tu Ruskinjama nije do Putina
Tu se pije Kristal sa butina
Samo za one iznad 12 godina
Je je, je je, ja

D8Q2Zt5.gif

Tu Ruskinjama nije do Putina

Tu se pije Kristal sa butina

Samo za one iznad 12 godina

Je je, je je, jaD8Q2Zt5.gif

Eja eja pušta anestezija eja eja još malo bih dodala eja eja stiže anestezija e ja eja u paklu smo ti i ja!

Also why is there no specific mention of lesbianism? Only the men participated?

the depiction of female homosexual activity seems to have been taboo in antiquity.

Most historical writing and records focus on men,not women. 

This^

As far as I remember (not Abrahamic btw) from the New St. James Bible - it was about the citizens wanting Lot to let them know the strangers i.e. angels he'd given shelter, probably breaking ancient hospitality rules. The citizens were also rich, luxuriating, forgetting Yahweh and being interested in other gods and before the story itself Yahweh had promised their destruction. What confused me then - why did he say he'll give his daughters to the citizens to enjoy so that they would spare the angels? It seems Lot himself adds in the meaning that S&G men were bisexuals. Whereas it isn't clear in the citizens' demand if they want to check on the angels for being new people or they're attracted carnally.