OneHallyu

People who use scripts that are not Latin, which fonts are the Comic Sans and Helvetica of your scripts?

Solfa

Comic Sans - The most misused font in the world, and many say they find it difficult to read. Very popular to hate on the internet because everything on the internet is serious business

Example

Used wrong, as it is common IRL

fortune_500.jpeg

Example of it used right, but surprisingly rare IRL

rLAwznp.jpg

Similar dishonourable fonts: Curlz MT (the less readable Comic Sans), Papyrus (the Comic Sans of restaurant menus), Souvenir (the Comic Sans of the 80s), Bleeding Cowboys (the Comic Sans of non-pre installed fonts)

Helvetica - font that just seems to look good almost everywhere, is easy to read, and that the only complaint against it is that it's everywhere, not a fault fo the font in itself

Example, beside being the font of this comment:

Helvetica-Brand-Logos-473x300.jpg

8-distinct-shades-of-helvetica-4-638.jpg

HelveticaEverywhere.jpg

OT but isn't Comic Sans made for people who have dyslexia?

It was made for old Microsoft screens which were more pixelated than today. However, a number dyslexic people have found it easier to read though, which is an unintended, but welcome, consequence. 

• 3 weeks later...

the old english font deserves more hate than comic sans, it's so ugly 

mlc_oldenglish-sr_product_img.png

Blackletter really compliments the artstyle of the books where it was used, but way too decorated to be used today, it is not very legible.  

55c8a255deecd-Illuminted_Page_grande.JPG

Comic Sans doesn't even deserve hate IMO, it's just a typeface, there are far more worthy thing to hate. But I wonder if people who use other scripts do have an equivalent of it. 

Not sure what you mean by native script and I'm probably going off tangent, but I feel most Chinese fonts are ugly and every Chinese website I visit uses the exact same ugly fonts. Not that I blame them, since there's a lack variety to pick from. It's a practical nightmare to redesign thousands of characters just because you're dissatisfied with the font.

Edit:

There's a font that reminds me of Comic Sans. It's used pretty often too because it's freeware font. It looks like this:

2016102014Photo.jpg

Not sure what you mean by native script and I'm probably going off tangent, but I feel most Chinese fonts are ugly and every Chinese website I visit uses the exact same ugly fonts. Not that I blame them, since there's a lack variety to pick from. It's a practical nightmare to redesign thousands of characters just because you're dissatisfied with the font.

Edit:

There's a font that reminds me of Comic Sans. It's used pretty often too because it's freeware font. It looks like this:

2016102014Photo.jpg

That’s exactly what I meant with “native scriptsâ€, sorry for not being clear.

Could Hei Ti be considered a Helvetica equivalent though? Neutral looking and easily legible that can be used almost everywhere because it just doesn’t arise any strong feelings whatsoever

fangzheng-heiti-sc-full.png

That’s exactly what I meant with “native scriptsâ€, sorry for not being clear.

Could Hei Ti be considered a Helvetica equivalent though? Neutral looking and easily legible that can be used almost everywhere because it just doesn’t arise any strong feelings whatsoever

fangzheng-heiti-sc-full.png

The picture isn't showing, but I think you've answered your own question. 

And Song Ti is the Times New Roman of Chinese fonts.

Archived